42 | The Surprise

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I check my wrist watch and heave a sigh, looking at the sky impatiently. I can't believe that this person is late!
 
"What is this?" I asked my father with curiosity. "Who gave this?"
 
"Rima, you are a grown up lady," my father started and I knew it would not be short explanation. "You are the only daughter of Kim family and there is nothing I will ask for other than your happiness."
 
He cleared his throat before continued again, "Marriage is not a simple decision to make, Rima. You know my history and I don't think I'm the right person to talk to you about marriage but at least I know that you will be happy if you with someone you love."
 
I stayed silence, knowing that he still had a lot to say, "The thing here is I know you are loved. Of course you are loved. However, in the end, you are the one who will make the decision for your life."
 
"Get to the point," I finally blurted out in English as insecure feeling grew inside. "I know you're talking about Junhyung and Eric."
 
"And Gikwang," he added, to my surprise. My eyes widened in shock but he kept talking, "I personally like Gikwang, you know. Junhyung is... No, I'm not trying to be a nagging father here. I'm just being objective here."
 
"Why did Gikwang have to be mentioned between our conversation?" I asked him, hoping that his answer would answer my curiosity.
 
My father looked at me and then smiled gently, "You said you don't believe in coincidences, right? You'll know the answer tomorrow, Rima."
 
"Yujin will tell you the time and place," he stood up and approached me, giving me pats on my shoulders. "Now I need to work. Have fun tomorrow, Rima."
 
"Aish...," I groan and run my fingers through my hair. "Appa, why are you being extra mysterious at the wrong time?"
 
My fingers accidentally touch the hairpin I'm wearing. It's the hairpin Gikwang gave to me when we're at Japan; the one with cherry blossoms.
 
I wear this one because I'm wearing the same color long coat. I drop my gaze unintentionally, remembering Gikwang's smile when he gave me the hairpin.
 
I take the white small box I picked yesterday from my blue bag. Is it possible that Gikwang is the one who gave me this white box?
 
Then who gave me the pink one?
 
Junhyung?
 
Eric?
 
Now I'm sitting on the park bench of Lotte World. It is a major recreation complex which is consists of the world's largest indoor theme park and more facilities.

 
Putting aside the whole mysteries surprise behind the person of the white box, I'm actually excited because the whole attractions of the outdoor amusement park called "Magic Islands" look really interesting.
 
I wonder if I can try the attractions later with... whoever will come to meet me.
 
"Rima?"
 
 
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
I lean my back against the wall while I'm waiting for the elevator. I check my phone and realize that it's almost the time.
 
"So...," I looked at Mr Kim, "...can I ask for that favor, Mr Kim?"
 
"With my terms, yes, you can, Gikwang," Mr Kim replied me calmly. "This is my daughter here you're gambling about."
 
"E-Eh?" I blinked with confusion. "N-No. I don't think it that way. I'm-"
 
"I understand," Mr Kim calmed me down. "Though I never met Yong Junhyung in person, I think it's unfair for him since you have the advantage to know the plan first."
 
"I'll make it simple," he explained his thought to me. "There will be two boxes in different colors. A color represents each of you."
 
"What are inside the boxes?" I muttered, feeling both curious yet confused. "Our presents?"
 
"No. It takes time for you two to prepare them," Mr Kim laughed heartily. "There are nothing inside."
 
Once again I blinked. Looked like he could see my confusion because he continued, "The one she choose, the one who will meet her is the one who will give her the present."
 
"Make her smile."
 
I finally agreed with his terms. I called Junhyung via phone and asked his opinion. After my explanation, he agreed with the favor and ready to pick a color.
 
For an unknown reason he chose white color while I picked pink one, the color I also used when I gave her birthday present. Mr Kim used ribbons to wrap two small boxes so Rima could pick one.
 
Yesterday night Yujin called me and told me Rima's choice.
 
She picked the white one.
 
Just like what she did on her birthday.
 
She picked Junhyung even though she didn't know a single thing about my request.
 
Does fate even disagree with my feeling towards her?
 
Maybe Junhyung has arrived now. Maybe they're already in the middle of their date now. Maybe Rima has realized that she should have chose Junhyung over me.
 
Right when I take a turn to the nearest coffee shop, I have a feeling that someone is following me. I stop my steps and look around but see no one.
 
I continue walking and the feeling strikes again. I quickly take another turn and then hide behind the wall. My eyes find a person, looking confused because she lost me from her sight.
 
Slowly I step out from my hiding and our eyes finally meet as both of us look surprised to see each other.
 
"Yoorin?"
 
 
✗ Yong Junhyung ✗
 
I intertwine my fingers together, feeling very nervous for no reason. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to control my heartbeat.
 
When Gikwang called me yesterday, telling me about the deal to let Rima decide without knowing the plan, I agreed right away, thinking that maybe it's the only chance for me to talk to her.
 
After she asked for the 'fake' break up, my heart was actually breaking into pieces. I felt like someone stabbed me with an imaginary knife right on my chest.
 
I quickly sent a text message to Rima the moment after I agreed with the plan. I sent her the lyrics which she wanted me to sing instead of rap.
 
I told her that I would sing as much as she wanted... as long as she stay with me.
 
"Yah, Junhyung," Gikwang entered my room after knocking thrice. We just finished our dinner and everyone had known about the 'break up' between me and Rima. "She picked the white color."
 
My heart was going to jump even though my mood was really dark after the gloomy conversation, knowing that the public would start to spazz about my break up with Rima soon.
 
I must be smiling widely unconsciously because Gikwang forced a weak smile, "Congratulations. Have fun tomorrow, Junhyung."
 
"Gikwang!" I called him before he left. I wanted to ask him on the phone but I held the urge till now, "Are you... Do you... You like her, don't you?"
 
There were seconds of silence before Gikwang turned around to face me and gave me a sad smile, "Looks like fate leads her to you, not me. Make her happy, okay?"
 
He closed the door, leaving me with puzzled feeling. I was speechless, not knowing what to say to him at all.
 
Gikwang loves Rima.
 
As much as I know, Rima also has a feeling for him. Well, maybe her feeling has changed; maybe she gave me chance that I blew away because of my unreasonable affection towards the ring.
 
If Gikwang returns her feeling, shouldn't they be together?
 
"Aish, I'm late!" I murmur to myself and then fasten my pace to the promised spot just to find no one there.
 
According to Yujin's text message, Rima is supposed to be waiting for me at the bench. Yujin is the one who arranged the whole thing for today and I let Gikwang to give my number for her so she could contact me personally.
 
Where is Rima? Is she late?
 
I sit on the bench and look around, hoping to see the girl I've missed so much lately.
 
There is only one thing I want to ask her.
 
Do I still stand a chance?
 
If I don't have a chance anymore, I will give up on her. I know it sounds silly but maybe, just maybe, I'm not the one for her.
 
However if she still gives me a chance,  then I will not give up on her.
 
Fifteen minutes have passed when I feel uneasy feeling strikes. Where is Rima?
 
I stand up and decide to call her. I don't care if it's not a surprise anymore; I'm worried about her.
 
Right when I was going to hit the call button, someone is running towards my stand with pale face. I lower my phone and wonder why she is here to meet me.
 
I don't expect her to be here.
 
"Hara?"