Preparations

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

     

 

     Two days left until the full moon.

 

     Namjoon was so busy with preparations, he was going on hour thirty-two of no sleep. No one was quite sure what he was up to, he was being so secretive. Sometime around noon, he left to go see the council... for the third time in two days.

     Hoseok and Taehyung were immersed in tactical research in the lab; testing some weapons and experimenting with various herbs and potions. Taehyung knew he didn't stand a chance against a hybrid, he felt his best bet was to hide somewhere high and be a sniper, take out as many hybrids as he could from a nice, safe distance. The castle's bell tower was the perfect place.

     Jimin sat alone in his room, passing the time by skimming through old magazines and pacing the floors, it was better than trying to ignore the looks he got from the other pack members, reminding him how unwanted he was. He felt like less of a distraction holed up in his room. Add to that, his father had scolded him so bad about the mess he caused, his mood was hovering somewhere around dispirited.

     Yoongi spent the last 12 hours searching for Seokjin. Searching all the places he knew Seokjin frequented when he went away to think or train or fight, even trying all the places that Seokjin liked to eat, but he came up empty each time. He couldn't imagine where Seokjin would have gone, he was a bit of a creature of habit.

     Seokjin sat cross-legged on the beach, a small fire lit in front of him, a nylon tent set up behind him. He was staring at the fire, entranced by it. The sounds of crashing waves filled his ears, flashbacks of all the good times he and Jungkook had together playing like an old black-and-white movie in his mind. His heart thumped painfully in his chest. How could it all be over? Was he supposed to go the rest of his life without ever feeling Jungkook's love again?  

     I'm done. Jungkook had said with that look in his eyes, the look that told Seokjin that he would die without ever hearing the younger say he loved him again... and he knew he deserved it.

     You never deserved Jungkook's love in the first place.

     Jungkook stood at the window in his bedroom, looking up at the near-full moon. He missed Seokjin so much, every ounce of him physically ached. He didn't expect coming out of numb meant he would feel everything all at once. It was the worst pain he ever felt... a broken heart was a death sentence.

     Jungkook dug into his pocket and took out his phone, staring at the lock screen for a few moments, it was a picture of Seokjin. He had snuck it when Seokjin wasn't paying attention when they were out on the lawn training. Seokjin had such a look of determination in his eyes that day, nothing was going to steer him off course, not one thing would thwart his plans. Jungkook could not let him die out there alone, not with the thought that Jungkook didn't love him anymore. His last words to Seokjin could not be that they were over... he had an idea and maybe it was a long shot, but just maybe by some miracle, Seokjin would read it and come home and they could talk.

     He typed; Seokjin, where are you? and hit send. 

     Seokjin's phone buzzed on the blanket next to him. He looked over. Jungkook. He opened it and saw the message, he smiled and was about to text back. No, it's a trick, they've seen Jacker's place, they know what you did. Jungkook had told him it was over, so why would the younger care where he was right now? The phone buzzed again and he looked down.

     The message: Seokjin, just come home. Please.

     Seokjin scoffed. Nice try Namjoon. He stood up and walked to the water's edge, looking down at the phone.

     "Jungkook doesn't love you anymore, accept it, Seokjin... You're alone... " He drew his hand back and heaved it as far as he could, "Forever."

     Splash! It sunk below the water, gone.

 

     Jungkook saw that Seokjin had read the message, for the first time in weeks, he was hopeful. He dialed his number, hoping maybe he'd pick up... but it went straight to voicemail.

     "God Damnit," He yelled out as he threw the phone against the wall... It shattered, much like his faith.

     He plopped on his bed, sliding off down to the floor, he leaned his head back and stared at the ceiling fan. He had pushed Seokjin over the edge, there was a good chance he would never see the elder again, at least not alive. What if Seokjin turns on you? What if he is so distraught he sides with Cato? What if the prophecy comes true? The sight he had seen at Jacker's mansion was grisly, and he did it all so effortlessly. Seokjin was stronger and he wasn't in his right mind, he was capable of anything. No, you get that thought out of your mind right now. Seokjin would never go against his pack... or you, ever. period.

 

    Yoongi gunned the motorcycle up to 130 mph, zooming down the road with reckless abandon. He glared up at the moon, searching his brain for a spot he might have missed. He had to find Seokjin, he wasn't even sure why, or what was compelling him, he just knew that his best friend was alone and he couldn't stand that.

     "Where the are you, Seokjin?!" He screamed into the wind.

     The motorcycle started to sputter, Yoongi slowed down. . Gas. He hadn't filled the tank in a while, the needle was on empty. He pulled it over and set the kickstand, taking off his helmet. He climbed off and peered down the road for any signs of life. Just blackness.

     "!" He yelled to no one.

     Yoongi threw the helmet down and paced a few times, wondering what to do. He could call Taehyung, but he wasn't even sure the kid would come pick him up, plus he had no clue where he was. He turned around in a circle, trying to get his bearings, the beach was to his left and forest to his right, but it looked like every other stretch of road for miles. Okay, I just need to turn around and head back north. There was a gas station a few miles back, he could fill up the tank there.

      He pushed the bike along the road for several miles, but there was nothing but more road and darkness... maybe it was south? Was he even going north? . He had no clue if he was going the right way, his mind was way too preoccupied. He set the kickstand and stepped back, he needed to calm down and think.

     Yoongi was lost... and he wasn't alone. He turned around quickly; a pair of red eyes glared back at him through the trees. Then two more sets of eyes appeared on either side. . 

     "Vampire," A grizzly voice called out, Yoongi squinted to try to make out which one was talking.

     "Who wants to know?" Yoongi yelled back.

     "Cato wishes to speak with you," Red Eyes came into the moonlight, Yoongi could make out a portly man with older features, his scarred hand was carrying a silver cane with a handle shaped like a skull. He was a bit overdressed for hanging out in the woods, clad in a long jacket, tie, and bowler hat that screamed 1920's gangster.

     "You followed me out here hoping I'd run out of gas-"

     "Let's just say we have a two birds, one stone situation," Red Eyes spoke.

     "I'm not interested in what Cato wants." Yoongi knew that answer wouldn't suffice.

     "He wishes to ally with the Vampires," Red Eye's face showed no emotion.

     "This has nothing to do with the vampires," Yoongi responded, flatly.

     "Not yet," Red Eyes stood firm, the other two joined him. 

     "It's in your best interest to consider the proposal," The second man added, "The vampires are not strong enough to hold off a hybrid war." 

     "Threats will not grant you your desired outcome," Yoongi informed them, beyond done with these people.

     "I am sure the vampires would like to be on the winning side of history," Red Eyes boasted, "Hybrids are the future."

     "What sort of hybrids is Cato manufacturing?" Yoongi asked, wondering if the guy was trying to sell him on some sort of genetics plan; for the low low price of $9.99, you too can have genetically mutated beings to fight for your dream cause.

     "The elite," The third man spoke.

     "That's not a species," Yoongi pointed out, not hiding his smart-assedness.

     "Cato has fathered children with many creatures, every species you could imagine." 

     "All the hybrids are Cato's children?" Yoongi was a tad freaked, the old could still get his thang on?

     "Of course, a demigod would ensure good stock," Red Eyes took a few steps towards him, "Imagine an army of creatures much like Seokjin. You can understand why you would want to be on the right side of that."

     Yoongi scratched the back of his neck, "No doubt. But I'm going to have to decline, I'm not much for group activities."

     "I don't think you understand, when Cato wants something, he gets it," Man Two informed him. 

     "He didn't get Seokjin," Yoongi smirked, bored.

     "Are you willing to bet your life on that?" Red Eyes smiled. Yoongi's confused expression made him laugh. 

     The other two men went to stand on either side of Yoongi and he turned his head to glance at them both, "Killing me isn't going to fare well for your cause, not if you don't want my kind to hunt you down like dogs."

     "We're well aware of who you are." Red Eyes circled around him, "Son of a demigod, royal blood. Pure. Heir to the throne of the vampire hierarchy," Red Eyes was a little too excited. "You do not know what a gift that is."

     "Tell that to my mother," Yoongi spat, "My father brought nothing but heartache to my family, so don't ever bring that into the equation, I'm not their Prince."

     "Spoiled children, you and Seokjin," Red Eyes' voice was raised, much like the veins in his neck, "Ignoring your birthrights."

     "Only fools argue about birthrights and bloodlines." Yoongi drew his claws, slashing the hybrid's neck to his right. He fell, gasping for breath, choking on his own blood, "It means jack to me."

      The second hybrid rushed at him, but Yoongi used his speed to move aside, turn and come up behind him, biting down into his neck and dropping him in a heap on top of the other dead guy.

     "Your precious hybrids can't even sustain life after a meager vampire bite, what good are they?" Yoongi flashed his teeth at Red Eyes, moving a few steps closer.

     "This is not necessary," Red Eyes seemed unfazed. He effortlessly conjured up a red orb in his hand, letting it float on top of his palm in all its deathly glory. Yoongi watched him pass it from one hand to the other.

      "Witch hybrids?" Yoongi was in disbelief, he wiped his chin with his sleeve.

      "I'm not a hybrid," Red Eyes answered, "Just a mere follower."

     "That's a high-level spell," Yoongi stared at it, ready to bolt if the witch decided to use it. 

     "You know about spells?" Red Eyes looked at him impressed, "Then you know what this can do to a vampire."

     "Bloodlust," Yoongi was a bit panicked.

     "It would be best if you came with me," Red Eyes smirked.

     Yoongi clenched his jaw. Both options , but he did not fancy going on a bloody rampage and then dying a most horrible death, though he was sure the latter would happen either way.

     "You shouldn't use a vampire's love of blood against them," Seokjin spoke, and Yoongi turned around quickly, Seokjin was standing behind him, staring straight at Red Eyes.

     "Seokjin." Red Eyes didn't seem surprised to see him. The orb dissipated, "Come to take him in for me?"

     Yoongi focused his attention back on Red Eyes, puzzled.

     "Sometimes friendship trumps family," Seokjin's gaze was intense, "All this talk about pureblood bull."

     "Then I shall assume that you're not on Cato's side." Red Eyes sighed, "He will not be happy."

     "You suppose you're going to make it out of here alive?" Seokjin smirked, "You have some big balls."

     "I outclass you, you should know that a were-onyx is no match for me."

     Seokjin shrugged, "Maybe a normal one."

     "Cato's bloodline does not change this fact."

     "I've consumed well over 50 werewolves in the last 24 hours-" 

     "That is impossible," Red Eyes interrupted, "Not even Cato has that power."

     "That's because Cato doesn't have werewolf blood in him," Seokjin expression turned to loathing, "Being pureblood has limitations, flaws."

     Red Eyes wasted no time, he conjured up some air orbs and whisked them towards Seokjin and Yoongi, a simple, albeit effective diversion so he could escape. He tore off running back through the brush like a scared little rabbit. Yoongi was on his tail, weaving in and out of the trees, dodging orbs being shot his way.

     Moments later, they reached a small clearing where Red Eyes had parked his motorcycle, he jumped on, starting it up as Yoongi approached. He conjured up another red orb, but before he could finish it, Seokjin came bounding through the trees in all his hybrid glory. He pounced on the panicked witch, knocking him off the bike, catapulting him straight into a tall oak, his body wrapped around it, breaking his spine.

     "Aghhh-" He screamed out bloody murder, and several birds in the branches above flew off squawking out over being disturbed.

     Seokjin closed in, changing back to his human self as he stepped closer. Red Eyes shot off a few half-hearted balls of light, but Seokjin just grabbed his hand and snapped it, causing him to yell out once more.

     He coughed out a few incantations and Seokjin laughed, "You don't have the strength for that right now."

     Yoongi stood over him, looking down, shaking his head, "You're awful weak for such a high level."

     "Cato will kill you all," Red Eyes snarled.

 

     The last thing that Ol' Red Eyes saw before he died was the bloodied fangs of one pissed-off vampire. Yoongi stood up and spit out a wad of blood.

     "Witches always did taste bitter."

     Seokjin smiled for a second, going back to serious in less than point five seconds, "What are you doing out here?"

     "Looking for you," Yoongi grumbled, removing his hoody and holding it out to Seokjin, luckily in the change, he hadn't lost his shorts.

     "I'm not going back," Seokjin clenched his jaw, agitated. He slipped on the hoody.

     "I kind of just like the scenery," Yoongi joked, looking down at the lump of a witch on the ground, kicking it for good measure.

     Seokjin wasn't in the mood for small talk or company. He turned tail and trudged back through the woods, towards the road.

     "Wait up-" Yoongi took off after him.

 

     Seokjin crossed the road and proceeded through the small parking lot down to the beach. Yoongi zoomed past and stopped right in front of him, blocking his path.

      "I am not in the mood for this," Seokjin halted, sighing.

     "I've been searching for you for the last twelve hours-"

     "I know, I saw you ride past a few hours ago," S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter