Friendship

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   

 

      Jungkook found Seokjin standing over a set of headstones, staring down at them, lost in thought. He slowly approached, careful not to startle him.

     "My parents," He said not turning to face Jungkook.

     Jungkook wasn't surprised that the elder was aware of his presence. He joined him at the grave, glaring down at the headstones, the names Yoosun and Amari Kim were etched into the granite, he noticed something was a bit peculiar about their birth dates...

     "Your parents had the same birthday?" Jungkook asked, though noticing that Seokjin's mother was several years older than his father.

     "Yeah, weird I know."  Seokjin turned his head to look at Jungkook, who returned his gaze. Jungkook was jittery, Seokjin knew it was because he was expecting that he could get attacked for no good reason... again. He hadn't stopped replaying that moment in his head, so disappointed in himself. "Don't worry, I won't hurt you."

     "I know," Jungkook stated, despite what his nerves said, "I'm sorry I made you mad."

     "Don't apologize, you have nothing to be sorry about,"  Seokjin looked away, ashamed. "I should be begging you for your forgiveness."

     Jungkook shrugged, "It's not like I purposely wanted to be in your business." Well, deep down he did, but he wasn't going to admit that.

     "Taehyung and Jimin no doubt," Seokjin smirked, "They always seem to know way more than they should."

     Jungkook was experiencing a slight sense of unease, worried he would say the wrong thing, but he felt compelled to express the numerous thoughts bumping around his brain.

     "I wasn't sure if I should stick around here," Seokjin admitted, looking at Jungkook once again.

     "You can't leave!" Jungkook exclaimed, shaking his head, "Please."

     "Besides you and Namjoon, I don't really have a reason to stay," He confided, "Maybe Noni-"

     "You don't need anyone else. Please, Seokjin...you're my favorite person here," Jungkook pleaded.

     "You have terrible taste in friends." Seokjin frowned.

     "You're the only reason I am who I am," Jungkook disagreed.

     "Contrary to what you may believe, you'd be a better person without my influence," Seokjin turned to him.

     "I don't care, you leave and I'll track you down, you'll never have one moment's peace," He was adamant, a serious expression befell his face. Seokjin had to chuckle.

     "I'm sorry I've been such a to you," Seokjin moved the hair from Jungkook's eyes and quickly drew his hand back, "You didn't deserve it."

     Jungkook could feel himself blushing, looking into Seokjin's eyes, the elder was being so sincere. At that moment, he knew he was in love with this guy standing before him and he guessed he should just embrace what everyone else already knew. Even if Seokjin didn't return the feelings, he was okay with that for now. He had no good reason for loving him so much, the elder had been a to him for the last 10 years, it was true. He was also closed off tighter than a clam in its shell, but Jungkook didn't care. Seokjin was perfect; he was beautiful, he was smart and he was the strongest person he ever knew, physically and mentally.

     Seokjin stared into Jungkook's eyes, what was it about the younger that weakened him so much? When that alpha had him by the throat, he had never been so scared in his life, he didn't even care if he died that night, so long as he knew Jungkook was safe. Seokjin had not noticed before this moment, but something in the way that the younger stared at him under the warm glow of the setting sun struck him with the realization that Jungkook was handsome, though maybe not in a conventional way; from his large round eyes that seemed to encompass the entire universe, his mouth the perfect cupid's bow, to the cute mole beneath his lip... even the scar that ran the length of his face, seemed to accentuate his features in such a way that Seokjin realized he found him attractive. He smiled to himself.

     "What?" Jungkook asked, self-conscious, knowing that Seokjin was staring at his scar.

     Seokjin looked down, scratching the back of his neck, "Sorry." He turned back to the headstone, not sure of what to make of these feelings.

     "Are you drunk?" Jungkook joked.

     "Yeah, maybe," Seokjin laughed. "We should get back up to the house."

     "So,"  Jungkook held out his hand, "Truce?"

     Seokjin looked down at Jungkook's extended hand and smiled, then pulled him into a hug. Every bit of Jungkook tingled, Seokjin had never hugged him before, the only physical contact they ever had was when they were training and that usually ended in pain. Seokjin surprised himself and he quickly let go, his face burning red - he wasn't sure if it was from embarrassment or the fact that when he hugged Jungkook, something inside him felt...alive. You're making an idiot of yourself. He turned around and focused back on his parents' graves for a moment, trying to think of anything to alleviate this awkwardness he brought upon himself.

     "Come on, it's almost seven, Noni will have my dinner ready." Seokjin started to walk. Jungkook's face filled with a gigantic grin as he jogged to catch up.

 

     Jungkook enjoyed a pleasant dinner with Noni and Seokjin, he loved her spaghetti and homemade meatballs, it reminded him of trips to the Italian restaurant that his best friend's family would take him to as a kid. The dish also seemed to be one of Seokjin's favorites, as he learned from witnessing the elder gobble down 3 large helpings. After dinner, he walked Seokjin to his room and told him he'd better be at training tomorrow or he would come kick his , then stood there, arms crossed, as Seokjin cracked up in a fit of laughter as he closed his doors.

     "I might just kick your anyway," Jungkook yelled behind him as he headed down the hall.

     Jungkook entered his room and closed the door behind him, pulling the rolled-up papers Taehyung had given him earlier, from his jacket as he took it off. He sat down on his bed and unrolled them, slipping off his shoes, getting comfortable. It was a copy of the Onyx description from a bestiary.

     He began to read:  An Onyx is a rare breed of demon, best not encountered, given that it is solely observed moments preceding one's demise. Its extreme fury renders it a challenge to contain or subdue.

     Jungkook looked at the picture of a full-grown onyx. He shuddered.  

     Most onyx are bred with other species for fighting and guard capabilities, as they are often highly skilled in the art of combat. When an Onyx is at its full peak, the darkened eyes, both iris and sclera match the pupil in full black. This is when they are known to go into a blind rage and decimate anything and everything in their path. When an Onyx is desolate and alone, they tend to slip into a path of destruction. In such cases when an Onyx perceives its existence to be devoid of purpose, it exhibits tendencies towards self-harm and poses a potential threat to those in close proximity.

     Jungkook skipped to the second page.

     Onyx bonds. If an Onyx bonds with someone, they will stop at nothing to protect this person. They do not take to others easily, so a bond with an Onyx is for life.

     Jungkook smiled. He wondered if Seokjin had bonded with him. He also wondered how different Onyx half-breeds were compared to a full breed. Seokjin seemed able to control his rage sometimes, while other times, not so much. Was this why Jacker was so threatened by Seokjin's family that he was willing to kill them in cold blood? and not just kill them but burn their bodies after. He was curious if Seokjin's father was a full breed or half breed. He had so many questions but didn't feel that Noni or Namjoon would be truthful to him if he asked. He decided maybe Taehyung was a better source to go to. He rolled the papers back up and set them on his nightstand then laid back, deep in thought.

     It was shortly after 2 A.M. and Jungkook could not sleep, he decided to take a walk outside to get some fresh air. The night was a bit chilly, he wished he had brought his jacket and almost jumped out of his skin when Seokjin reached over his shoulder and handed him a hoodie.

     "Thanks," Jungkook slipped on the hoodie. It smelled like the elder and he tried not to make it too apparent that he was sniffing the garment.

     Seokjin nodded, "What are you doing up?"

     "Couldn't sleep," He leaned against the building looking up at the moon, it was nearly full.

     "I've kind of been craving deer," Seokjin peered up at the moon too.

     Jungkook's attention shot to the elder. Seokjin smirked, they had been thinking the exact same thing.

     "I'll have one before you even make the change," Jungkook declared, clenching his fist and rotating his neck.

     "You wish," Seokjin challenged him, throwing off his jacket.

   

     The morning sun sat on Jungkook's eyelids like a light bulb had popped on in his sockets, he had to shield his eyes as he slowly sat up. His whole body ached like someone had turned him into a ninety-year-old man as a cruel joke. Honestly, he hated changing but loved the power of it. Oh yes, the power of it all made every ounce of pain worth it. 

     "Morning." Seokjin glanced over and gave him a nod. Seokjin was sitting on a giant boulder, already dressed, looking out at the trees over the ridge, it was a vast forest spread out before them, the perfect spot to camp for a night. He stared at the elder, forgetting for a moment that he wasn't wearing any clothes, Jungkook scooped up the pair of pants that were sitting next to him and slipped them on as he stood, grabbing the teeshirt. He traipsed over to the rock, careful not to step on any pointy leaves or sharp stones with his bare feet. It was peaceful out here, and quiet. The familiar chirping of morning crickets off in the distance was the only thing he could hear.

     "I could use a couple of Advil," Jungkook cracked his back.

     "Mmm," Seokjin cast his gaze upon Jungkook, a gentle smile forming on his lips.

     "Nothing a warm bath can't fix."

     "You have dirt on your cheek," Seokjin gestured toward Jungkook's cheek.

     Jungkook would never get used to waking up in the dirt the morning after. He wiped the spot, but it just smeared it more. Seokjin giggled.

     "Come here," He shook his head as he grabbed Jungkook's head with one hand, taking the sleeve of his shirt and wiping the dirt off. He could feel Jungkook's heartbeat speed up, even more, he could feel his own heartbeat speed up.

     Jungkook felt it too.

     "Done," He announced but didn't remove his hand from Jungkook's face.

     "Seokjin-" Jungkook never wanted to kiss anyone so bad.

     The sound of a siren split the air, wailing off in the distance. Jungkook and Seokjin both jerked their heads towards the way of the castle.

     "What is that?" Jungkook questioned, looking at Seokjin, dumbfounded.

     "Trouble," Seokjin jumped down off the rock, "Come on-"

     Seokjin took off running. Jungkook followed behind, fighting to keep up through the prickly underbrush.

 

     When they reached the castle, dense clouds of smoke were pouring out of the front entrance, both of the doors had been ripped from their hinges and were lying broken on the steps. Nothing inside was visible - it was like a void had swallowed it up. Seokjin held his arm up to Jungkook's chest to stop him from going in, it wasn't safe, any number of monsters could be inside.

     Seokjin sniffed the air, hoping to pinpoint a scent, "Werewolves?"

     Jungkook bent down to what was left of the door, tracing the giant gaping hole where the doorknob once was - someone had put their fist through it. They exchanged concerned glances as the sounds of a house invasion rang out from within; bangs and pops and fighting grunts blending together in rhythmic discord. Jungkook

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter