Rebuilding

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   

 

   The fourth day after the battle was by far, the worst. This day was dubbed 'clean-up day', AKA, the day they needed to rid the grounds of the decaying dead. The best way to dispose of a corpse was fire, destroy all evidence of a battle and neutralize any and all disease. Several organizations had made visits to the castle in the last few days, postponing hopes of cleanup in any sort of a timely manner. There were many supernatural beings in government, they had their own divisions and ranks and each species had their own tailored cleanup crew to assist in times of need (war, disaster, or small fights that resulted in death here and there, to name a few.) Though, no one ever came knocking or asked questions, the affairs of the supernatural were all neatly covered up, so long as they took care of the aftermath.

     The Crossbreed Research Organization for Supernatural Species better known as C.R.O.S.S. had paid a visit, on the second day following the battle, to collect samples of DNA from the various hybrids that lay scattered. They took over eight hours to collect and catergorize, since it wasn't every day that an evil madman made armies of diversified hybrids, they were in their element. Taehyung and Hoseok commented that they seemed far too excited, seeing as it was basically an uncovered graveyard and their pack members were among the dead. It was disrespectful, to say the least.

      Cleaning up was a sickening job and the stench was atrocious, especially so long after a battle, but it had to be done and there was no sense in complaining about it. At least the face masks managed to keep some of the smell at bay.

     They all carried bodies over and set them down by the bonfire at the far end of the castle's grounds, it took them most of the morning and part of the afternoon already and they were only around halfway done. It was a sad sight, their fallen pack members should be buried, but there were just too many bodies. The fields had already become a haven for flies and maggots. Yoongi and Taehyung were in charge of the actual throwing of bodies into the fire, the gloves manage to protect their hands, but the both of them could still feel the stiff coldness through the material. It was unsettling, they couldn't wait to be done so that the could take a long, hot shower and wash the stench of the day's work off.

    Taehyung walked over and set down a wheelbarrow carrying two battered remains, he helped Yoongi pick the first up and throw it into the bonfire, "So how bad is it?"

    "I swear to god, if he pops in the shower one more time and yells 'boo', I'm going to throttle his ," Yoongi complained, taking the legs of the second body while Taehyung took the arms and they heaved it into the fire.

     Taehyung couldn't help but stifle a laugh. Jimin had been using his 'ghost' status to his benefit, finding ways to pester them all. Taehyung figured since he never met a ghost that wasn't pesky, that it was written in some manual somewhere; 'How to be a Ghost: Chapter 1 - Ways to Annoy Those Around You.'

     "Imagine being dead and coming back and the only fun you have is scaring people? He can't even eat real food," Taehyung frowned, shooing away a fly that landed on his nose, "I thought being a zombie was bad."

     Yoongi grimaced, blood aside, he enjoyed human food, so he couldn't imagine suddenly not being able to indulge in it, "I understand, but three times in two days?"

     Taehyung smirked, "I'll talk to him."

     Taehyung grabbed the wheelbarrow and wheeled it a few feet to put some more bodies on. Jungkook walked over, holding a bag up.

     "Body parts," Jungkook made a disgusted face as he tossed it into the fire.

     "Great," Taehyung sighed. "How's Seokjin?"

     "About the same," Jungkook looked down, "At least he's alive."

     Taehyung peered back up at the house, Namjoon was bending down to one of the fallen pack members, collecting jewelry to give to their family, "This pack is dwindling."

     "There are four hybrids in the lab now," Jungkook commented, helping Taehyung lift a body, "What do you think Namjoon is going to do with them?"

     "If he's smart he will put them to death," Yoongi muttered. 

 

     Down in the lab, Hoseok was pulling out his hair, between the four hybrids, the very vocal pack members, and Seokjin - he was overrun. Makeshift cots were set up along the far wall and the moans of the conscious ones laying upon them were driving him batty. He had already patched up at least ten people today, including having to stitch one rather nasty bite before lunch that made him queasy. Seokjin was the worst, he really wanted to study the bite mark on his leg, but with dealing with everyone else, Hoseok barely had two minutes to devote to him. The good thing is most of the burn marks were healed and his hair had grown back.

     Jungkook walked in and over to Seokjin, "I see you on this damn table way too much Seokjin, hurry up and heal."

     Jungkook pushed the elder's bangs from his eyes.

     "Jungkook," Hoseok called from across the room.

     "Huh?" Jungkook replied, only half paying attention.

     "Can you tend to these hybrids, I want to examine the bite mark on his leg before it heals."

     "Can't we just send them back to their warehouse?" Jungkook whined.

     "They're practically children, give me a break."

     "Aren't they like Seokjin's aunt and uncles?" Jungkook walked over and sat down next to the female hybrid.

     "Yeah, I guess," Hoseok grabbed the overhead magnifying glass and positioned it above the bite mark, "Technically, not that he would acknowledge it."

     "You think they could be reprogrammed to be on our side?"

     "They aren't machines," Hoseok flipped on the light, "I need Taehyung, he's good at this ."

     "I thought you were like a doctor or something?" Jungkook lifted the hybrid's arm and let it fall back down again.

     "Only two years of med school sometime in the 1970's," Hoseok smirked, "Good times."

     "So why did you stop?"

     "It was the 70s," He smiled, "It was a different time back then."

     "I never thought I'd feel bad for being young," Jungkook frowned, watching Hoseok grab a pair of forceps, "So, what do you think bit him?"

      "Well, if my measurements are correct, going by the size of this bite... the jaws alone are at least two feet. I suspect it tried to drag him by the way the teeth pulled the skin by his ankle."

     Hoseok peeled back the skin in the deepest part of the bite.

     Jungkook shuddered, "Two feet wide?"

     "Give or take. The gash marks are pretty deep, most likely it grabbed Seokjin as he was on the move."

     "How did he survive? The one hybrid we found was bitten in half."

     "We can ask him when he wakes up." Hoseok sighed, "More balm I think."

     Jungkook stood and grabbed the balm from the counter, throwing it to him.

 

     Three days later, the lab was mostly cleared, except for a comatose hybrid and...Seokjin. The elder was healed physically, even the bite mark was mended, albeit with a nice scar left behind. Namjoon was worried, medically speaking, Hoseok said he should have been awake by now, there was no good reason for him to still be unconscious. Namjoon wondered if all the draining was playing a part in this, it had altered his DNA to the point where he had sprung horns and had grown in stature. Seokjin had consumed a lot of energy, something like that didn't come without consequences. Also, Dagma had said to Jungkook, "Seokjin's fate cannot be changed." She knew he was alive at that point, but she didn't alert them to this fact. Her words were ominous, he needed to know what she meant, but with his recent actions, he knew the council was angry with him and he shouldn't push it at the moment. Namjoon sighed.

     "What are your plans for the hybrids that lived?' Hoseok interrupted Namjoon's thoughts as he stared down at Seokjin.

     Namjoon shrugged. He wasn't a hundred percent sure himself.

     "A choice," He concluded.

     "A choice?" Hoseok was perplexed, knowing what Namjoon was getting at, but why on earth would Namjoon trust them, when a week ago, they were murdering members of the pack.

     "Life is about choices, whether the right or wrong one, the outcome depends on which choice is made," Namjoon seemed on the verge of a philosophical lecture.

     "So death or join the people they hated in the first place? Seems logical," Hoseok was channeling Yoongi, his sarcasm level was on point.

     "Brainwashing is a powerful drug," Namjoon nodded, more to himself than to justify it to Hoseok, "I would hope once they realize the error of such thinking, they will come around."

     "You could trust them after this?" Hoseok asked.

     "I let Jimin come back to the castle, I presume his crime was much worse than what these kids have done."

     "Jimin has proven himself, with his own life," Hoseok reminded him, "Will these kids do the same?"

     "That's where choice comes in," Namjoon smirked. "Let me know when he wakes up."

     "Of course," Hoseok watched Namjoon walk from the room. He bent down to attempt to look into Seokjin's eyes, when Seokjin grabbed his wrist, rather hard. He winced as he looked down.

     "You're hurting me," Hoseok tried to pry his wrist loose, but Seokjin held on tight, "S-Seokjin, let go."

     "I need energy," Seokjin's voice was raspy, he didn't sound like his normal self.

     "You can't drain me, I would kill you," Hoseok answered, without thinking.

     Seokjin let go and sat up, weary, "I don't want you," He rubbed his temple, "One of the hybrids?"

     "Are you out of your mind?"

     Seokjin bolted up and grabbed Hoseok's shoulders, he was taken aback at the sudden movement, the expression on Seokjin's face scared him.

     "Just one," Seokjin pleaded.

     Hoseok gulped, he was too frightened to say no. He looked over to the cot by the wall, this hybrid hadn't seen much improvement. At this point, he was just using valuable resources, plus he was most likely suffering. Seokjin peered over, he his lips.

     "He doesn't look like he would make it anyway," Seokjin moved Hoseok aside and walked over and kneeled next to the cot.

     "This isn't healthy, Seok-" Hoseok stopped when he saw Seokjin's clawed hand inserted into the hybrid's flesh. The hybrid's eyes opened suddenly and then closed just as fast.

     Seokjin's breathing was heavy, his pleasure senses in overdrive. "Shadow Spectre," He grinned, taking his hand away.

     "What?" Hoseok was sure he heard wrong, Shadow Spectres were a myth.

     "Cato was an evil genius," Seokjin said under his breath as he stood and turned to face an appalled Hoseok.

     "He's going to need to be disposed of-"

     "We should keep this between us," Seokjin's tone sounded more like a threat than a suggestion and all Hoseok could do was nod.

     "We should, uh... let Namjoon know you're okay."

     "I'll go see him now," Seokjin patted Hoseok on the back, "Where might I find him?"

     "His o-office probably," Hoseok sputtered, disturbed. Seokjin's touch filled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter