The Evil Within

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   

     Tux shopping was annoying, Jungkook just wanted to pick all the pieces of clothing he needed off a rack and go home. He hated having to be sized, having a measuring-tape-wielding stranger poking and prodding his body parts to find the right fit for the various pieces of clothing that made up the tuxedo. Just the jacket types alone were a headache; full or tails, black or white, notched or shawl lapel, double or single ed... and he still had to find socks and shoes and pick out a color for his bowtie. No, hate wasn't a strong enough word, he despised shopping... It didn't help that Seokjin convinced Taehyung to go with him, which wouldn't be too terrible if not for the fact that Taehyung had been bouncing off the walls all morning, in cloud nine over the fact that Yoongi had actually asked him to be his date to this ball. Taehyung was finding it hard to concentrate, twice fitting a top hat over Jungkook's head, telling him it would really complete the ensemble.

     "You should go with the dark red bowtie and cummerbund, it's a good color for you," Taehyung commented, spinning the rack of ties, almost knocking it over.

     "Cummer what?" Jungkook glared at him like he had three heads. Taehyung laughed.

     "Cummerbund, the thing that goes around your midsection," Taehyung grabbed a deep red bowtie and threw it to him, "Hold it up to your neck."

     Jungkook held up the burgundy bowtie to his neck and looked in the mirror, "Okay, fair enough. Where the hell is that guy with my tux?"

     "You should go track him down and give him the bowtie, I'm going next door to get a milkshake, you want one?"

     Jungkook nodded, "Yeah, sure."

     Taehyung left the store and Jungkook searched around for the tailor. He stopped when he noticed a hooded figure standing in the middle of the sidewalk outside, staring through the window. At first he thought he might be just looking at the mannequin, but when Jungkook moved, the man's head followed. Jungkook was a bit freaked out, he stood there a good thirty seconds just staring at him.

     "Have you picked out your color?" The tailor appeared in front of Jungkook, startling him.

     "I think I'll go with the red," Jungkook held up the bowtie then turned his attention back to the window, the figure was gone. "Did you see that guy in the window?" Jungkook asked and the tailor looked towards the window and shook his head no.

     "Red is a very good choice," The tailor remarked, taking the bowtie from him. "Your tuxedo will be ready in about an hour."

 

     Jungkook stepped out of the tux shop and glanced both ways down the road, the street was practically deserted, all he saw was an old lady wearing a bright orange peacoat, doing some window shopping and several teenagers on skateboards doing kickflips off the curb. No hooded figure. Gah, I'm going crazy from all this shopping.

     "I didn't know if you wanted whipped cream or not, so I said no," Taehyung joined him, handing him a chocolate milkshake sans whipped topping.

     Jungkook took a sip of the beverage, "Yeah, it's fine."

     "Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost," Taehyung lapped up some of the froth off the top of his drink.

     "It's nothing,"  Jungkook frowned, dreading the next stop, "You ready to help me find shoes now?"

     Taehyung nodded and they walked towards the car.

 

     Yoongi and Seokjin were standing in the middle of the side yard taking turns hitting a target with a bow and arrow. Yoongi insisted he would make a better archer than Seokjin if they were alive during the medieval times and somehow they ended up out on the lawn, shooting at a target 100 meters away. Seokjin was killing time until they had to meet with the lawyer at Cato's estate, so this was a good distraction.

     "You're gonna lose so bad they'll be talking about it for years, one big crash and burn," Seokjin tried to psych him out, but Yoongi's concentration was on point, a tornado could touch down next to him and he wouldn't bat an eyelash. Yoongi was 200% focused on nailing the red circle in the middle and proving he was better at something than his best friend.

     "That was a sad attempt, Seokjin. I expected better from you than that," Yoongi shot and it came within inches of the bullseye. He smirked and handed the bow over to Seokjin, "Good luck."

      ", I think you got me," Seokjin feigned a gasp as he lined up his sight, "I am almost ready to bow to your greatness."

     Yoongi laughed. Seokjin shot and landed right next to Yoongi's arrow, the same distance to the middle. Yoongi was impressed for a moment.

     "I have to hand it to you, your aspiration to be the exact same as me brings tears to my eyes. Really." Yoongi took the bow, grabbing another arrow from the quiver lying on the grass. Seokjin watched as Taehyung's car came up the driveway and pulled to a stop.

      "One hundred dollars says I can get a bullseye on the next shot," Seokjin held out his hand for the bow, eyes glued to Jungkook as he exited the car.

       "Trying hard to impress bunny boy, huh?" Yoongi smiled, looking back as Jungkook and Taehyung were heading over, "Okay, but I don't want your money. If you miss, you need to tell my father that you're not selling him that property he wants."

     "Why are you so against it?" Seokjin asked, taking the bow as Yoongi held it out.

     "I have my reasons," Yoongi backed up, giving Seokjin room.

     Seokjin turned to the target, thinking for a moment as he nocked the arrow, "Deal."

     "What did we miss?" Taehyung asked as he and Jungkook joined them.

     Seokjin took aim.

      "The fate of the world as we know it," Yoongi smiled as he leaned over and whispered in Jungkook's ear. Jungkook looked at him, stunned. Yoongi motioned for him to go towards Seokjin. Jungkook hesitated for a second and then walked over to the elder.

     Just as Seokjin was about to shoot, Jungkook leaned in and whispered, "I wanna take you upstairs and you so hard we break the bed." 

     Seokjin shot the arrow diagonally up to the sky, completely missing the target and scaring the out of a flock of geese, that were resting in the field, as it landed.

     "Ooh, that's gotta hurt," Yoongi laughed out.

     "You son of a , you planned that," Seokjin whined. 

     "Ah man, sorry," Jungkook laughed, apologizing. Seokjin grabbed him by the back of the head, pulling him into a kiss.

     "I hope you're going to make good on your promise?" Seokjin flashed the younger a naughty grin.

     "Aghh stop the mushy , Jesus," Yoongi gagged, taking the bow from Seokjin and placing it back in its case.

 

     Meanwhile, upstairs in Hoseok's room, Jimin was on a mission to awaken the sleeping witch by attempting to remove the blanket from him, dragging it down bits at a time, fully prepared to bolt or hide if Hoseok were to throw something at him. He didn't like when objects passed through his gelatinous flesh. Hoseok's left eye popped open, questioning what the pesky ghost was up to now.

     "Jimin, you touch it and I freeze you in this spot for the whole day," Hoseok yanked his blanket back and pulled it up over his head.

     "Namjoon wants you in the lab," Jimin floated up to the ceiling, turning the light of the fan on and off numerous times making a poinking racket that began to eat on Hoseok's nerves.

     "You couldn't just ask me like a normal person?" Hoseok protested, throwing the covers back and sitting up.

     "I'm not a normal person, asshat," Jimin groaned, "Just get up, it's late-"

     "I just want to sleep in, just one day," He whined, hanging his legs over the side of the bed, rubbing his eyes.

     "I wish I could sleep in, I never sleep," Jimin moaned, "Be ing happy you can sleep."

     "I can banish you to the other world if you're so unhappy." Hoseok stood, grabbing his bathrobe and slipping it on.

      "Then maybe I can be free of your grumpy ," Jimin uttered with a frown.

     "Damned peeving poltergeist."

     "Crotchety, doddering witch," Jimin floated through the ceiling, leaving Hoseok to curse at the empty room.

 

     Seokjin and Harley watched as the lawyer pulled up in front of the castle in a rather expensive foreign, black car. He slid out from behind the wheel, dressed head to toe in Armani, a gold Rolex adorned his wrist, and there were several gem-heavy rings on his fingers, Harley saw many of the type associating with Cato often, usually in passing since he always took them to his office and spent hours in special 'meetings'. She always wondered what all they talked about. Luhan introduced himself as he shook both their hands, Harley noted how delicate his handshake was, human. He handed them both an envelope and the keys to a home.

     "Address is on page one, I'll meet you there," Luhan bowed his head and then climbed back into his car.

     "He's too attractive to be a lawyer," Harley watched as he backed down the driveway.

     "I'm gonna go get Yoongi and Jungkook," Seokjin handed her the car keys, "Start it up for me."

     Harley smiled widely like he had just told her she could pick out all the candy she wanted from the candy store, bouncing off on her way to the car. Yoongi walked outside.

     "He come yet?" Yoongi asked, joining Seokjin.

     "Yeah, we gotta meet him there," Seokjin handed him the folder, "Seen Jungkook?"

     "He's in the kitchen with Taehyung I think," Yoongi peeked in the folder as he headed over to Seokjin's car.

     Seokjin skipped the steps, reaching for the door handle the same time as Jungkook opened it from the other side, "Woh, good timing, you ready?"

     Jungkook nodded, shutting the door behind him, "I really hope this house is not a trap or something."

     "Are you okay with Yoongi coming?" Seokjin asked taking Jungkook's hand in his own.

     "Yeah, it's fine," Jungkook smiled, really happy that Seokjin had asked his opinion for once, but he had another concern clouding his thoughts, "What if being at his place triggers something in you?"

     "I give you permission to subdue me," Seokjin smirked, giving him a quick peck, "Any way you need to."

     "You are a ," Jungkook grinned.

     They walked to the car and got in, pulling out and down the driveway. Harley glared out the back window as the castle disappeared from sight, the dread starting to kick in.

 

     Luhan was leaning against his car, thumbing through a folder when they pulled up. Checking his watch, he tossed the folder through his open window and walked up the stairs to the estate to the front door and stuck the key in the lock.

     "This is..." Jungkook gawked up at the house as he shut the car door, at a sudden loss for words.

     "...The most sinister looking house I have ever seen," Yoongi finished Jungkook's sentiment as he shut his car door, glaring up at it. 

     It was at least three stories tall, with a small attic window at the top making up the fourth story. Jungkook glanced over at Seokjin, whose mouth was wide open, in awe. 

     "Do we have to go in?" Harley didn't bother to get out of the car, instead, she hung her head out the window from the safety of the backseat.

     "Yeah," Seokjin walked up the stone steps that led to the walkway. The whole house was made of bricks except for the wooden columns that lined the small front porch. Seven arched windows took up the second-floor facade. Enormous black shuttered windows were the only thing on the third floor, two on each side, surrounded by a small ledge that wrapped around the house. The house gave off a haunted aura, but exuded an etherealness at the same time, at least to Seokjin.

     "I'll just wait here," Harley decided, sitting back and whipping out her phone t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter