BONUS 4: Dawn

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

 

 

     Abram's house was uncharacteristically cold, both physically and mentally. There was no fire lit in the fireplace to warm the living room like the last visit, Seokjin didn't understand how icicles hadn't formed on anything yet. Photo books were scattered all over the coffee table and floor, like he had been revisiting his past - a sense of nostalgia lurked in the air. He had been sleeping on the couch as evidenced by the blanket and pillow crumpled up on the ottoman. The room was also riddled with dishes still fresh with remnants of past meals, like he ate and just left the plates there because he didn't have the will to take them in the kitchen to do them. Half the reason his home was so inviting in the past was that Abram was such a jolly spirit... but now, coupled with the weather, the house was drowning in sorrow. Abram was depressed.

     "Abram, are you okay?" Seokjin was concerned, turning on a lamp to lighten up the dark room.

     Abram looked up at him over his half-rimmed glasses while he cleared off two of the chairs at the table, "Oh Seokjin, you will have to excuse the mess, I wasn't expecting visitors."

     Seokjin helped lift some of the books from one of the chairs and offered it to Yoongi while moving the books from the table and stacking them on the floor, "Do you want me to start a fire for you?"

     "Oh no, that won't be necessary. I don't require much heat. I only keep it lit if there are guests," Abram sat down, "Please have a seat. May I offer you some tea?"

     "No thank you," Seokjin sat, filled with a sudden curiosity as to what species of supernatural Abram might be, "May I be so bold as to ask what species you are?"

     "To put it in layman's terms, I suppose you would call me a were-dragon," He chuckled.

     "A were-what?" Yoongi was sure he heard wrong.

     "Mutata Draco," Abram repeated in Latin, "If I didn't take my potion, every full moon would bring quite the uproar," He giggled at his pun.

     "You're an actual dragon?"Yoongi was impressed.

     "Well, I wasn't born that way, I was cursed as a young adult. I was an empath like Noni. I used to do readings at the circus, The Animi Spectris - the supernatural greatest show on earth."

     "I sense a love story." Seokjin leaned in, an inquisitive look on his face.

     "Her name was Asya Konstantinov, she was the daughter of a Russian aristocrat. He didn't approve of her traveling to such places to hang out with such..riff-raff." Abram smiled with a far-off look in his eyes. "Her mother was a powerful witch, the head of her coven, and quite skilled with hexes and curses."

     "That's never a detail you want to hear in a love story," Yoongi expressed.

     "Short of it is, we tried to run off, they found us, and I got cursed with roaming the earth as a dragon."

     "Well, I could think of worse things to be cursed with," Yoongi contested.

     "Fire breathers are not suited for a world constrained by societal expectations," Abram lamented, "and as such, do not cater to those that reject the consumption of human flesh, with a healthier option."

     "I see your point."

    "If it hadn't been for Noni seeking out a Counterist, I would still be one."

    "A Counterist?" Yoongi was slightly intrigued, he had heard of one before but couldn't place where.

     "A person skilled in reversing curses. Counter-spells are very hard to learn, only a spare few can fully hone the talent enough to be called an expert. The particular spell that was put on me was difficult to crack, as it turns out, the longer you live as a dragon, the more your DNA is altered."

     "I thought lizards needed heat?"

     Abram was almost offended, "A dragon is not a lizard, they are a whole different species." Abram studied Yoongi for a moment, "My empathy skills were altered, I don't feel others' pain anymore, instead, my aura gives off emotions that others sense and experience. I'm quite sure the house feels rather dreadful these days."

     "I'm sure you miss Noni a lot," Seokjin looked down.

     "Da." Abram took a deep saddened breath, "I'm afraid my light has gone out."

     Seokjin's heart snapped. Abram wasn't kidding about the reverse-empath effect, "I'm sorry."

     "Life must go on," Abram adjusted his glasses back onto his face properly and looked to the both of them, trying to muster up some merriment, "What brings you to Russia?"

     Seokjin exchanged glances with Yoongi while he pulled out his phone, he pulled up the text and showed it to Abram, "Are these names familiar?"

     Abram hooked the phone up to his computer and printed off the text, "What favor did you have to do for Yoosun in exchange for this?"

     "A grimoire," Seokjin remembered the vision he had when Yoosun was turning the pages of the old book, a chill ran up his spine.

     "Seong's grimoire?" Abram exclaimed, his eyes widening in horror, "Please tell me he did not leave with the book?"

     "He left with it after Seokjin had a vision," Yoongi voiced.

     "You must retrieve that book," Abram's face scrunched up like he was experiencing a sudden pain, "At all costs."

     "I have other pressing matters at the moment," Seokjin wasn't sure he wanted to know what can of worms was about to be opened with Yoosun owning it.

     "That book in Yoosun's hands is the worst possible thing you can imagine," Abram warned him. He leaned in, pressing for details, "What was your vision?"

     "It was just a bunch of stones in a circle, each one had a dais that represented the elements-"

     "Wind, Moon, Sun, Light, Dark, Fire, Earth and Water?"

      Seokjin nodded. 

     "He's going to reanimate your grandfather-" Abram's voice became grave, "The vision was a warning."

     "WHAT?!" Yoongi exclaimed, nearly falling off his seat by the sudden scoot of his bum to move closer to the table.

     "That book is the only link to bringing back the dead in a full state, like setting a moment in time to drag someone out of," Abram looked for a file on his computer, "I've been adding all my books to the computer, I'm not sure if I have it in here yet..."

     "But there are spells that bring back the dead already-" Seokjin was perplexed.

     "To bring them back temporarily, not like they were when they were alive, and they die off shortly after. I'm talking about a living, breathing fully restored cognizant being. That book was supposed to be buried with Misae, there was a spell placed on her coffin to obliterate anyone who dared try to dig her up to steal the book."

     "What happens if he brings Cato back?"

     "All hell breaks loose-"

     "So why would he give us this list? Wouldn't he need the generals to build the army back up?" Yoongi asked.

     "Just because the generals are carrying out Cato's ideas, doesn't mean that everyone agrees with the new order." Abram sat back from his screen and thought for a moment, "The book I require would be on my bed upstairs, Yoongi, would you be so kind?"

     "Oh yeah, sure," Yoongi stood and headed off towards the stairs.

     "I think your father wants to bring him back so he can steal his powers, to continue with his original plan."

     "To be king?" Seokjin half-joked, but knowing Yoosun, this was probably true.

     "I never did understand Yoosun's ability to remain human for so long without any inclination that he was camouflaging himself. He was able to effortlessly keep himself in a human state and no one was the wiser."

     His normal state being like Cato, a beast but with anthropomorphic qualities.

     "I never put it together that he could be a witch."

     "So his grandmother was a witch?"

     "No one paid much attention to Seong, she left when Cato was a young child, and no one heard from her after that," Abram fixed his glasses, "The only thing I know of her is that she had the grimoire and gave it to Misae. I just assumed it was something she acquired and she didn't know how to use."

     "Bloodlines aside, what I want to know is, how is he so powerful?"

     "There could be many reasons. He is the offspring of a deity, all his powers are heightened, not just Onyx strengths, but any sort of magical powers would be as well. There's also the fact that magic can be grown and expanded. No witch is born with their full potential, with proper study and dedication, a low-level witch could grow to be powerful in a matter of a decade or two." Abram thought for a moment, "If Seong was indeed a witch, then he inherited the trait from her."

     "How was I able to see the vision?" Seokjin remembered what Yoosun had said, "He said it was peculiar because I don't have magic."

     "It is indeed, non-witches don't have visions of the rituals, it's just not possible." Abram stared at the wall for a moment, contemplating, "Theoretically, you could have dormant abilities, that may or may not ever surface."

     Yoongi returned with several books stacked in his hands and set them down on the table with a thud, "I wasn't sure which book."

     Abram ran his finger down the pile, stopping at the second to last book, ' High-Level Spells'. He pulled it out and thumbed through the pages, stopping halfway through, "Reanimation vs. Resurrection." He handed the book to Seokjin.

     "Resurrection spells bring back the dead, as they were when they died, for a single purpose such as fighting or for retrieval of items that a normal human could not perform. Reanimation is restoring life to a once-dead entity, to revive a dead spirit and rejuvenate them to their original state," Seokjin read off.

     "So why don't more people try to perform this spell?" Yoongi asked as he sat down.

     "Well for one, it's told that it was only written in four books, two were destroyed, one was thought to be buried with Misae and the other is in the god realm. The incantation itself cannot be memorized, it has to be read from the book directly. Secondly, it can only be done by someone highly skilled in magic, I'm talking, with deity-like power."

     "Is Yoosun strong enough?"

     "He very well could be, but there are rules to a spell of this magnitude," Abram surmised, "Plus he will need some of Cato's DNA and a sacrifice."

     "That's why he was at the graveyard," Seokjin figured, "Gathering DNA. I'm sure he didn't expect to see me there, but two birds, one stone."

     "I suspect you still have time to track him down before he is able to perform it," Abram set the book down, "I'll add this to my database later and send it along to Jimin in case you need to read."

     "Did he give me this list to keep me preoccupied?" Seokjin felt like if he tracked down the generals now, he would just be going along with Yoosun's plan.

     "I presume he wants them all gone, if anyone gets word of him trying to bring back Cato, they're going to want to foil his plans to steal his power, their savior's return would mean so many things."

     "Maybe I should strike a deal with them."

     "You're their anti, there is no way they would see it as an alliance, they'd help Yoosun bring back Cato before they would help you kill him," Yoongi pointed out.

     "There is also the possibility that he will seek you out to be his sacrifice." Abram theorized. 

     "I knew I shouldn't have helped him," Seokjin complained, "But-"

     "But he would have hunted Jungkook," Yoongi shook his head, scoffing.

     Seokjin merely nodded.

     "Jungkook is always going to be your trigger," Yoongi indicated, irritated that again the fate of the world would suffer because of Seokjin's love for Jungkook.

     "Don't start that," Seokjin berated him, "You wouldn't let Yoosun torture Jungkook either."

     "Jungkook's life versus a powerful spellbook in Yoosun's hands," Yoongi pondered the options in his mind as if holding an invisible scale, "Yeah, no contest."

     "He is still a part of the pack you promised your loyalty to," Seokjin reminded him

     "Oh well," Yoongi shrugged, "He's your weakness, not mine."

     "Okay smartass, would you be able to let him torture me?" Seokjin raised his eyebrows, questioning.

     Not fair. "In a heartbeat," Yoongi smirked, lying through his teeth, but he didn't want to give Seokjin the satisfaction of being right.

     "Yeah, bull," Seokjin spat, a hint of conceit in his voice.

     "People are allowed to get over you," Yoongi stood, annoyed that Seokjin would have the gall to taunt him for how he felt about him, "I'll be outside."

     Seokjin turned back to Abram, irked with Yoongi, "He said you know the location of most of these people."

     Abram glared back at the names, "I believe Jimin would have this information in the archives as well, what he doesn't, I can send to him. Just tell him to email me."

     "Thanks, Abram," Seokjin sighed, his attention fixated on the door.

     "Seokjin?" Abram glanced towards the door, "Yoongi is a proud person, he would never ask for help, but I believe he could use it now more than ever."

     "What do you mean?"

     "Amelia and Jihoon are making strides within the vampire hierarchy, using Jihoon's status to try to restore old world order and rearrange some laws. Their actions are causing many a great amount of stress, but with how everything went down with Yoongi and his father, I am sure he is feeling a great deal of guilt as well."

     "Yeah, I can imagine he is."

     "I think they are spooked by the white wolf prophecy."

     "Jungkook?"

     "With you two together, it's making people antsy."

 

     Yoongi was sitting on the fence by the barn, staring out at the snowy fields. Seokjin strode over and leaned on the piece of the fence next to him. The whole thing looked like it could fall apart at any moment and Seokjin wasn't sure if Yoongi should be sitting on the dilapidated wood for fear that he might accidentally stake himself if it collapsed.

     "Why didn't you tell me things were so bad?"

      "With what?" Yoongi glanced down at him for a moment.

     "Jihoon and Amelia's agenda."

     "It's not your problem," Yoongi was sullen, "I ed up."

     "The council would probably reinstate your privileges, knowing what the two of them are up to."

     "If I don't go back, they all lose, if I do go back, my father wins." Yoongi was torn, "I don't want that life, but I can't sit by and watch this happen either."

     "If I can help-"

     "No. I don't want your help," Yoongi said flatly.

     "Ouch." Seokjin was surprised, he looked off towards the field.

     "Tracking down the generals is going to be time-consuming enough."

     "Then don't help," Seokjin suggested.

     "I promised I would."

     "I can handle it myself," Seokjin leaned up, about to walk off, "Your specialty is walking away, this shouldn't be that difficult for you."

     "Why are you being such a ?" Yoongi jumped down off the fence.

     Seokjin began to walk and then stopped, he turned to Yoongi, "Avoidance, I get it."

     "Should I be spending all my time with you?" Yoongi raised his voice taking several steps towards him, "You think that's supposed to help?"

     "I don't know Yoongi,  I didn't ask to be the object of your affection, I just wanted a best friend."

     "Wow," Yoongi was offended, "That's a real ing nice way to put it."

     "Do you wanna know the truth?" Seokjin pushed him backward, he felt like he could beat the out of Yoongi at the moment, "I did like you back then and you ing ran off without a word. I wanted to ask you so many times why you left, but it was easier to think I did something wrong than to know for sure, so I left it alone. I figured you'd come back... then the years passed by..." Seokjin looked away, "I don't allow myself to get bogged down by emotions, but you really ing hurt me."

     Yoongi was shook to his very core, "Don't tell me that-"

     "Maybe if you weren't such a coward back then things might be different," Seokjin shook his head and walked off.

     "Why would you tell me this now, right when I decided to let you go?" Yoongi called after him.

     Seokjin shrugged and turned to Yoongi, continuing to walk, "Maybe you should know what your decisions do to people." 

     "You son of a ," Yoongi yelled after him. How dare he tell you this now. Yoongi felt even worse. He ripped the fence post from the ground and flung it straight across the field, cursing the world for allowing Seokjin to be born.

 

     Seokjin was asleep on the couch when Yoongi had returned to the cottage sometime after three. Half frozen, he cupped his hands together in front of the small fire that was now lit in the fireplace. He bent down to throw another log on top, pushing it into place with the poker. He glanced over at Seokjin, admiring the way the flames flickered on his face in the dark room. No matter how angry Yoongi was at him, seeing Seokjin's face always made him weak, how was he supposed to move on from this guy? He loved everything about him, that is, after all, why they were best friends in the first place. Jesus Christ, why didn't I know that he liked me then?

     Seokjin turned over on the couch, mumbling about monsters and weapons, Yoongi shook his head as he turned back to the fire. He had to stick to his guns, he could not let Seokjin's words get to him. Stop being dumb, it's all in the past. You let your chance pass by, deal with it. He is in love with Jungkook now and nothing is ever going to change that. Yoongi decided it was best just not to ask Seokjin about what he said earlier and pretend it never happened. He needed to figure out a way to help the vampires without becoming that which he hated - between that and hunting down the generals, he would be plenty preoccupied. No sense in clouding his mind with stuff that he had no business thinking about. He laid down on the carpet, letting the fire warm him, staring at the ceiling as if it held all the answers to the universe. Tomorrow is a new day, time to keep the past where it belongs.

     

     The morning was quiet. Abram made them both a small breakfast which they ate in silence, the two of them trying their hardest not to acknowledge each other. Seokjin was busy texting Jungkook; him having to explain where he was and who he was with, was not going over well. Jungkook's replies came back with a fury, his anger palpable even through text. Yoongi was immersed in a book on Vampire Lore, his nose had been buried in the book since Seokjin had awoken. It was quite clear that Yoongi did not want to talk about anything that happened last night. For one, Yoongi hated to read; almost with a seething passion. Second, he was a vampire - the son of the former head of the entire vampire community; he possessed extensive knowledge regarding his lineage and the histories of the prominent  'core' families. Seokjin was convinced that Yoongi probably knew more than this book had written in its dusty pages. This was, in simple terms, his excuse to avoid conversation. Seokjin agreed silently, it was for the better.

     Abram hobbled into the room balancing several oversized tomes in his arms. He dodged the stacks of books already hanging over the edge of the table threatening to fall if he were to accidentally bump it, as he made his way to his seat.

     "You need help?" Seokjin asked, about to stand and grab the books before he dropped them.

     "Ah no, Seokjin, thank you, I have it," Abram plopped the books on the tabletop and sat.

     Seokjin glanced at Yoongi, then reached for his phone. He texted Jungkook back. I'm not going to do anything that will jeopardize our relationship. Please just trust me. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter