Deception

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

 

     Jacker faced Seokjin, still gripping a tuft of Jungkook's hair in his hand, the blade of his knife dangerously close to the younger's carotid artery. It seemed like neither wanted to make a move, noises of pain and destruction echoed all around them, but they didn't budge, they stood locked in a battle of gazes.

     "Seems we are at an impasse here," Jacker broke the tense silence, throwing the knife down to the floor in between Seokjin's legs where it split the wood with a thunk, but the elder did not flinch. "Should I let the boy go and you and I can try to solve this in a more timely manner?"

     "Me killing you, I'm all for that," Seokjin uttered, not faltering.

     "I'm not sure the boy would agree." Jacker looked down at Jungkook, "Have you chosen your fate young hybrid?"

     "Fate?" Seokjin blinked, confused. What was Jacker talking about?

     "I've hit a nerve." Jacker smiled, "See Jungkook, everyone has a button."

      Jungkook peered up at Seokjin through the slits in his bangs, he really hoped that Seokjin understood what he was about to say and why he was saying it. He mouthed the words, 'I love you', and Seokjin stared at him, perplexed.

     "He's going to kill my Mother, Seokjin. I know you would do the same if you were in this situation."

     Seokjin thought he understood what Jungkook was doing, so he'd play along, "What situation?"

     "I didn't want to believe it, what Jacker said you would do... but the prophet confirmed it.."

     Jacker his lips, enjoying the show, witnessing Seokjin's suffering would make everything worth it.

     "As much as I love you, what you're going to do if you leave here alive today-" Jungkook stopped, getting choked up, "I just.." He closed his eyes, clenching his jaw, "You're going to kill a lot of werewolves, Seokjin... You're going to kill me."

     "What are you talking about?" Seokjin balked.

     "I can't be with you on this-" Jungkook looked away, it pained him to say these words, even if it was an act.

     "Jungkook?" Seokjin's face fell. 

     "You and Jacker can kill each other for all I care-"

     Seokjin didn't understand what Jungkook meant, what was he talking about? What had the prophet told him? He was speechless, but the look in his eye was enough to tell Jacker that what the younger was saying was hurting him. Seokjin felt sick to his stomach, something in him weakened.

     "There, there it is. Your weak spot," Jacker felt giddy, "This bond is your weakness."

     Seokjin didn't hear Jacker, his voice was just an annoying buzz filling the room, he stared at Jungkook, trying to figure out what he was doing. Jungkook raised his eyebrows at Seokjin, then moved his eyes to his mother. Please understand what I am trying to say to you. Jungkook kept thinking over and over, wishing Seokjin was an empath like Noni.

     "Jungkook, no," Nari implored. She didn't know what the prophet had said or what he had decided, Jungkook could use this to his advantage.

     "He's going to kill me-" Jungkook scrunched up his face, trying to play off being conflicted and hurt.

     "No, no," Nari stood by Seokjin, staring at her son, "You can't believe what they are telling you." 

     "Knowing what I know now," Jungkook closed his eyes. "I can't help him."

      Jacker smiled as he glanced towards the door, "Ah yes, the cavalry has arrived."

     Several of Jacker's men filed into the room, guns aimed at Seokjin's head, ready to take him out if the order was given... but, he didn't take his eyes off Jungkook. 

     "So that's it? You're going to turn against me just like that, Jungkook?" Seokjin's voice was shaky, real or not... this was hard to think about, hard to say. One of the men disarmed him, confiscating his daggers and seizing his wrists, "I thought we meant something to each other?"

     "Meant something?" Jungkook raised his voice and Seokjin flinched, "It won't stop you from turning on me-"

     "Based on what, based on some bull lie Jacker is telling you?" Seokjin yelled, yanking his arms away from the man.

     "It's not a lie," Jungkook teared up, watching as the man grabbed the elder once more, "As much as this hurts, I can't be a part of this... of you-"

     "You're pathetic." Seokjin sneered.

      Jungkook shrugged, he really hated this, he didn't even know if Seokjin was playing along or if him saying this meant he believed what Jungkook had said to him, he just wanted to get his mother out of there, he just wanted to make sure she would be safe, he didn't want to watch her die in battle and lose her again.

     "He'll kill you as soon as I'm gone," Seokjin laughed, "Both of you." He looked at Nari, tears were streaming down her face, she was a little too convincing, Seokjin thought.

    

     Hoseok was about to give in, his energy was waning on the edge, every tense muscle sent a throbbing sensation to his brain, reminding him that each second he sat there, the weaker he'd grow. If he continued on, they would both die.

     I'm so sorry, Taehyung.

     He began to remove his hands from Taehyung's body when someone grabbed onto them from behind and placed them back. Hoseok turned his head to see Noni staring at him, she nodded as she closed her eyes, grasping his hands tightly. He turned back around to face Taehyung, it was like an instant rush of adrenaline, he could feel Noni's magic coursing through him - it was warm and pure... and strong. It didn't take long before Taehyung's arm twitched and then his legs, Hoseok's face lit up... he was fighting his way back.

     "It's working!" Hoseok closed his eyes, concentrating all his attention on Taehyung, all the renewed power gave him hope.

     Taehyung jolted upright, taking a large pronounced breath of air, gasping to jump-start his lungs. He coughed up a wad of clumped blood and peered down at it before turning on his side and throwing up.

     "Noni, we did it-" Hoseok's newfound smile faded once more when he glanced over at Noni as she collapsed several feet away, sitting upright onto the grass with a thump. She clutched her hand to her heaving chest, wheezing... "Noni?"

     "Ho-Hoseok," She rasped, gulping down breaths of air, "Ta-take care of the-them-"

      Hoseok rose to his feet and rushed over to her, "Noni, hold on, we'll get you help-"

      "N-no ti-time-" Noni coughed, "Too la-late-"

     Hoseok caught her as she fell into his arms, unconscious.

     "Noni, NONI!?"  He laid her down on the grass, checking her pulse. She was fading quick, each breath of air was now staggered as her body began to shake, "Don't you give up, Noni." He took her hand in his, her skin was cold to the touch. 

     Look after them for me, Hoseok, they are going to need you. Her sweet voice filled his head.

     "Noni..." Hoseok whispered in vain. In a matter of seconds, her heart gave out and the beating stopped... then she was gone.

     The gurgling of Taehyung's stomach echoed around them, breaking the silence. 

     "Oh, Noni," Hoseok closed his eyes and lowered his head. A pulse of energy pelted against him, fluttering against the hairs on his arm, he could feel her life force passing on. He took a deep breath, saddened. Noni didn't just give him energy, she gave him all her energy, every last bit - so that Taehyung could live.

     "N-Noni?" Taehyung felt dizzy, the world was spinning, he staggered to stand up, but fell on his knees, "What's happening to me?"

     "You were dead Taehyung, longer than anyone ever should be," Hoseok stood, hurrying over and grabbing his arm, he pulled him up to stand, wrapping Taehyung's arm around his shoulder to steady him. 

     Taehyung looked down at his hand, his skin was grey, a pale lifeless grey. The world through his eyes appeared in black and white, except for the blood, the blood on his clothing, the blood on the grass - it was a brilliant red, a blinding red. He could practically taste the blood that began to pool in Noni's corpse. He could smell her flesh, her tasty, juicy flesh. He was so very hungry, he his lips, salivating.

     "You can't eat the woman that just died for you," Hoseok gasped and pushed him away from her.

     "I'm so hungry," Taehyung bellowed, catching himself from tumbling over, "Why am I so hungry?"

     Hoseok shook his head, how should he go about explaining what happened, it's not an easy thing to hear, what with all the negative thoughts that everyone has about the undead. 

     "Well, you're.. a ... zombie," Hoseok revealed, a sympathetic glint in his eye.

     "Zom-zombie?" Taehyung just looked at him wide-eyed, not believing what he was hearing.

     "Brains stop the craving the best, but it's only temporary, you're going to eat a lot now... and I don't mean pizza."

     Taehyung threw up again.

 

     Yoongi caught up to Meredith first, grabbing her shoulder, he spun her around to face him as he slammed her against the wall, knocking the wind out of her. He grabbed and she gasped, fighting against his hand as his claws went in, she wasn't as strong as he was, her fighting back was futile. He tore through her neck like a hot knife through butter, dropping her just as quick.

     Jimin came running up behind them, skidding to a halt in back of Yoongi. He looked down at Meredith, the color draining from her face fast, "Mer-Meredith?"

     They stood idle as the sound of her heartbeat slowed, thump... thump... thump... then silence. Yoongi turned around, fangs bared, his e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter