A Game of Hearts

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     The sun gleamed through the trees in thin patterns of light, flickering on the ground like a giant candle was lit off in the distance. The sky was mottled in various degrees of orange and yellow, surrounded by a grey nothingness, as if all the clouds were swallowing up the sky and becoming a big blanket of gloom. Jungkook just laid out in the leaves, staring at the tops of the trees as they swayed in the breeze. He didn't feel like moving- maybe if he was lucky, the ground would swallow him up.

     I've lost my edge and it's because of this stupid bond. Stupid bond. Jungkook could not get those words out of his mind as if it were stuck in a perpetual loop. Stupid bond, indeed. 

     A crunching of leaves behind him made him sit up quickly, looking around for the source of the noise. It sounded too big to be an animal. 

     "Get up," Taehyung appeared in front of him, Jungkook grabbed his chest, startled. Taehyung threw him a pair of pants and turned away to give him some privacy.

     "Why?" Jungkook slipped them on, staying seated, he was quite comfortable with remaining immobile for the rest of the... century.

     "We still have a war to prepare for, you need to train." Taehyung reached out his hand, Jungkook was reluctant to take it, "I'm sure this isn't permanent."

     Jungkook looked up at Taehyung, "What's the point?"

     Taehyung was astonished at the brilliant blue that was staring back at him as he pulled Jungkook up to stand, "Why do your eyes do that?" 

     "Do what?" Jungkook rubbed his shoulders, his body ached all over.

     "They're blue." Taehyung realized Jungkook probably didn't know.

     "I dunno, because apparently, people need to know when I feel like ," Jungkook wished he could hide the unsubtle reminder that he was beyond destroyed inside.

 

     They walked in silence for most of the way back, Taehyung didn't know what to say. He knew Jungkook was hurting and he kind of understood why Seokjin did what he did, but seeing Jungkook like this pulled at his heart. "I'm sorry man, I know this all ."

     "You don't have to comfort me,"  Jungkook stated, he did not need anyone's pity. "I'll be fine."

     "Sometimes 'fine' needs a friend to vent to." Taehyung glanced over at him, "All I'm saying."

     "Thanks," Jungkook nodded, patting his growling stomach. It had decided to declare to the world that he was hungry, not that he'd be able to eat.

     "Hoseok is making breakfast, a minimal amount of weird things in it today," Taehyung smirked.

     Jungkook cracked a small smile, he stopped and looked down at the ground. "Have you seen-"

     "He's been in the gym all night." Taehyung put his hand on Jungkook's shoulder, Jungkook was grateful that Taehyung knew what he was going to ask, he really didn't think he could mutter out Seokjin's name right now. 

     

     When they arrived back at the castle, Namjoon, Yoongi, Seokjin, and a handful of other pack members were standing in the driveway watching as a long, black Rolls-Royce pulled up and came to a stop in front of them. Jungkook stopped to watch as Jacker and several of his men exited the car. He could feel Seokjin tense up.

     Namjoon nodded to him, "Jacker."

     Jacker smiled, a fowl little scowl, "Namjoon."

     "Shall we go into my office then?" Namjoon motioned towards the castle.

     Jacker peered around Namjoon at the barely clad body of Jungkook standing there, a set of bright blue eyes staring back behind furrowed brows. A little light came on inside him as he looked from Jungkook to Seokjin then back to Jungkook once again, "I sense a crushed spirit."

     Seokjin turned to glance at Jungkook, his heart skipping several beats as he noticed Jungkook's eyes. He turned back around to face Jacker, clenching his jaw.

     Jacker strolled over to Jungkook and snatched up his face, pulling him close to look into the young hybrid's eyes. Seokjin balled up his fists but did not move.

     "Blue." Jacker looked over at Seokjin, "Broken bond?"

     Seokjin shot him a dirty look. Jacker was satisfied with himself.

     "We have a lot of business to discuss, my office is this way," Namjoon insisted and Jacker let go of Jungkook's chin.

     "Yes, of course." Jacker adjusted the coat that was hanging off his shoulders and then leaned into Jungkook's ear, "I bet this hurts really bad."

     Jacker smirked, focusing on Jungkook's fallen expression. He joined Namjoon and they went inside.

     Jungkook stared at Seokjin, but the elder did not meet his gaze, instead he turned to Yoongi, muttered something, and then headed into the castle. Yoongi turned to follow, coming face to face with Jungkook. He stopped.

     "Keep walking," Jungkook warned him.

     Yoongi only smirked, he grabbed Taehyung's arm and pulled him inside, leaving Jungkook alone with the pack members and Jacker's men. He felt awkwardly under-dressed all of a sudden.

    

     Jacker closed the door to Namjoon's office and turned to him, removing his jacket and placing it on the back of the chair.

     Namjoon went behind his desk and turned to him, "Have a seat."

     "You can't even hold your pack together and you expect to lead a battle against a stronger enemy?" Jacker's ridicule made Namjoon belligerent.

     "The pack is fine," Namjoon sat down, refusing to stoop to Jacker's level.

     "Your lovers are in turmoil, the vampire's insatiable lust to kill the kid is 200 percent matched by his mutual desire to kill the vampire," Jacker glided into the chair, enjoying the moment immensely, "The kid's mother is still missing, and Seokjin's only blood relative is leading the resistance."

     "Seokjin is loyal to this pack, more than I can ever say about you," Namjoon didn't mince his words.

     "Touché." Jacker leaned back and crossed his legs, he couldn't get into Namjoon's head like he could with Seokjin, it was no fun, "Shall we get down to business then?"

 

     The weight room was crowded this morning, grunts and punching filling the air. Seokjin and Yoongi were sparring on the mat in the middle, Jungkook did not want to be in a room with either of them, but there was no other place to train. The weather outside was dismal and the constant drizzle was drenching everything in wetness. He was stuck with some random pack member as his training partner and he couldn't help but steal glances at Seokjin, shirtless, glistening from the sweat that covered his body. Seokjin didn't even look over, not once. Jungkook had to wonder how he was able to keep it together so well, when he himself, was dying inside. To make matters worse, it seemed his eyes were permanently blue and everyone had been extra nice to him this afternoon, even his sparring partner was going easy. Jungkook wondered how easy the guy would be if he ripped out his throat. 

     Jungkook let out a growl and Seokjin stopped for a moment to look over, Yoongi took the opportunity to blast him on the side of the head with a hard punch, jolting him back to focusing on the determined vampire.

     "I'm over here," Yoongi pushed Seokjin back.

     Seokjin took a few jabs, missing him. Yoongi glanced at Jungkook who he knew was watching them, he was feeling a little evil, he wanted to make the younger suffer a bit. He took advantage of Seokjin's absent mind, grabbed him and flipped him over his hip, pinning him down to the mat, straddling him. Seokjin tried to buck him off, but Yoongi just held him there.

     "Get off of me-"

    "Where's your mind?"

     Jungkook had a strong desire to tackle Yoongi off of Seokjin, but instead, he refocused on his own partner. He turned to him, drew back his fist, and walloped him in the chest with a ton of force. Amar fell to the ground, hyperventilating. 

     "I, I can't... breathe," Amar wheezed out and Seokjin hurried over, bending down to him. "My l-lung, he co-collapsed my l-lung," he took in a deep breath and yelled out in agony.

     Seokjin looked up at Jungkook, the younger's gaze was deadly. Yoongi came and stood behind Jungkook, peering down at Seokjin.

     "The kid has more talent than you, it seems," Yoongi teased, Seokjin shot him a bitter look and then helped the man up, wrapping his arm around his shoulder and helping him out of the room.

     Jungkook turned to Yoongi, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up, he wanted to fight and Yoongi was more than happy to fulfill his wish. 

     "Don't hold back," Yoongi's gaze was fierce.

     "I won't."

     Jungkook pushed Yoongi back and he stumbled, catching himself. He zoomed past Jungkook to maneuver behind him, grabbing him in a chokehold and dragging him down to the mat. Jungkook struggled, flopping around like a fish out of water for a few moments before breaking free. Yoongi took a swing, but Jungkook ducked, grabbed his arm, spun up around him, and pinned him to the mat. He stretched the elder's arm upwards behind him towards his head, Yoongi winced but did not scream when he felt his shoulder pop out of its socket. Yoongi's teeth began to grow, fangs now protruding below his lip, he wanted blood. He managed to push up off the mat with his good hand and stand, cracking his bone and setting it back into place.

     "Maybe I need to make you my sparring partner," Yoongi flashed his fangs. Jungkook was unamused. Yoongi lunged forward and hit Jungkook hard in the gut making him double over, then clasped his hands and chopped Jungkook on the back, sending him down to the floor. Jungkook grabbed Yoongi's foot and pulled it forward, the elder landed on his back in a huff. He rolled over to stand, laughing. "You've improved."

     "Do you ever shut up?" Jungkook sneered.

     "Nope." Yoongi cracked his neck.

    The door banged closed, welcoming Seokjin back into the room, he stopped short. Jungkook turned his head to look at him. Yoongi's wrath knew no mercy, he took advantage of Jungkook not paying him any attention and whomped him in the stomach and as Jungkook bent over gasping for air, he kneed him in the face sending him backward to the mat, his nose gushing blood all over the smooth vinyl.

     "Ouch," Yoongi smirked.

     Jungkook rolled over, stood, and tackled Yoongi to the ground.

     "I'm going to murder you," Jungkook grabbed Yoongi by the shirt, drew his hand back and pummeled him straight in the mouth. Seokjin rushed over and grabbed Jungkook's arm to stop a second punch, but Jungkook was so out of it, he elbowed Seokjin hard in the mouth.

     "!" Seokjin grabbed his face and moved back, his eyes shut tight, trying to dull out the pain.

     ", Seokjin-" Jungkook tried to go to him, but Seokjin held up his arm to motion for him to stay back, "I-I'm sorry."

     "What part of stay away from me didn't you understand?" Seokjin looked at him with contempt. Jungkook backed up, his face dropped.

     Jungkook hung his head, staring at the mat, "Why are you doing this?"

     "This bond is a curse, I don't want it," Seokjin yelled at him.

     "A c-curse?" Jungkook stammered, glaring back up at him, his blue eyes glistening.

     "Stop with the ing eyes, I'm not going to feel sorry for you."

      Something in Jungkook snapped. A wave of resentment washed over him, replacing any sort of sorrow he felt moments prior, "You think this is to make you feel sorry for me?"

      "I could feel your eyes on me the whole time you've been down here, it's obvious."

      Jungkook's eyes narrowed into slits, he was done with Seokjin's bull, " you, you're a weak- dumb."

      Jungkook pushed him back and tromped out of the room. Seokjin chased after him, reaching the foyer. He threw his gloves at the younger's back to stop him, Jungkook turned quickly-

     "Weak-?" Seokjin yelled, "I'm doing this to help you."

     "Help me what? Help me want to hate you? Help me wish I never ing came here?" Jungkook shouted, wiping the blood from his nose on his sleeve, "Excellent job."

      "Get your head out of your and realize there's more at stake here than a broken heart-"

     " you Seokjin, it's a bull excuse. You're not helping me, you're just a selfish prick."

     "Wow," Seokjin was angry.

     "Yeah, wow...you won't have to worry about me staying away from you, I don't even want to be around you anymore." Jungkook stormed off towards the stairs, leaving Seokjin standing there, visibly shaken.

 

     It had been two weeks since Seokjin saw Jungkook. Seokjin was miserable, his heart just wasn't in anything he did. He muddled through the days like a robot, just a shell. He hated it. He wanted to see Jungkook, he needed to see Jungkook. The younger avoided him like the plague, spending all his time in the forest, training with Taehyung. Seokjin couldn't blame him, he wouldn't want to be around himself either, after what he said... what he did.

     Seokjin was staring out the kitchen window as he poured himself a cup of coffee, Jungkook and Taehyung ambled past, strolling in several moments later to get some water from the fridge. Jungkook stopped briefly when he saw Seokjin standing at the counter.

     "Jacker's men are pretty well trained," Taehyung mentioned, throwing a bottle of water to Jungkook, who took a long swig as he sat at the table.

     "Surprisingly, training with them is not as bad as I thought it would be," Jungkook leaned back in his chair, "Learned a lot more this week than I have in the last ten years."

    Seokjin clenched his jaw, he knew that was a jab... and he probably deserved it.

     "How's it going Seokjin?" Taehyung asked, leaning against the counter next to him.

     "Fine." Seokjin didn't look up from his coffee.

     "You look like , still having trouble sleeping?" Taehyung questioned.

     Seokjin shot him a look, he didn't want to discuss this in front of Jungkook, "It's fine."

     "It's not a secret, everyone sees you walking around the castle at night, you're spooking people out," Taehyung shrugged.

     Seokjin glanced at Jungkook for a moment, the younger was engrossed in a game on his phone, not paying them any attention. Jungkook's eyes were still blue, a paler shade than the last time he had seen him.

     "Great."

     Taehyung leaned in so only Seokjin could hear, "You ed up."

     Seo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter