Spiritus Mortem

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     When Hoseok examined Jungkook's wound earlier, it was about ninety percent healed, just a small amount of pus on the bandage that morning. His fever had gone away as well, which meant he gave the younger the okay to leave the lab hours ago. However, Jungkook found reasons to stick around, like cleaning out the curmling cage and playing with Charlie #66 or maybe it was Charlie #63, he had no clue. Hoseok suspected he just wanted to be there when Seokjin woke, though he was sure the younger would have no clue what to do when he did. Yoongi also lingered in the lab as well, seated on the counter adjacent to the cot where Seokjin was recuperating. He was unapologetic, making no excuses as to why he was there. Jungkook would shoot him dirty looks every five minutes to which Yoongi would respond by defiantly raising his middle finger at the younger.

     "Seriously, if I see your middle finger one more time, I might hack it off," Hoseok threw a frog heart at Yoongi, causing him to fall off the counter with a resounding "!" leaving his lips as he did, grossed out that Hoseok had such nerve.

     "," Jungkook could not contain his laughter, finding great joy in Yoongi's dismay.

     "Isn't it unsanitary to have that thing here with a sick person?" Yoongi stood up quickly, evading the graying organ that sat two inches from his nose, shooting Jungkook a look that screamed he was five seconds away from an -kicking.

     "The wound is closed and he's not in any danger of an infection, so no." Hoseok resumed testing upon amphibian number... whatever. Once again, setting another carcass on fire.

      "ing hell, if that smell doesn't wake him, I dunno what will," Jungkook swatted the air near his nose, his face scrunched up like he had just laid his olfactory glands upon the worst smell ever.

     "You know when he wakes up, he'll probably kill us all," Hoseok used the fire extinguisher on the frog and then grabbed the garbage can, "Cato's not going to appreciate that we've patched him up since we're the reason he almost died." Hoseok swept the frog remains into the trash basket and turned to face Jungkook.

     "Sebastian will sort him out," Jungkook handed Hoseok another 'Charlie'. 

     Jimin came speeding into the room, floating through the wall at hyper speed, a foggy blur shooting across the room. He almost passed through the wall on the other side, but Yoongi had managed to grab him to stop him.

     "Who did you piss off this time?" Yoongi shook his head, wiping the coldness off on his hoodie.

     "Some bad is about to go down!" The overexcited ghost spat out.

     "Calm down, Jimin," Hoseok said as he looked into the frog's eyes and mumbled a spell. It became lethargic.

     "What are you talking about?" Yoongi inquired.

     "The council... wants to take... Seokjin into custody..." Jimin was trying to catch his breath.

     "The council wants to take Seokjin into custody?" Hoseok managed to drop the frog from shock.

      "What do you mean 'take' him?" Yoongi asked, getting in Jimin's face.

      "Namjoon told me to tell you guys to find a place for him," Jimin expressed, "NOW."

     "Is this one of your pranks?" Yoongi scolded, "I swear to the gods, Jimin-"

      "NO!" Jimin bellowed, "He just got off the phone with one of his buddies at the council. They're coming for Seokjin."

      Yoongi took out his phone to text Namjoon then thought for a moment, "He doesn't want a record of him warning us, that's why he sent Jimin-"

     "Yes," Jimin inhaled, "You need to go."

      "I'll get a wheelchair," Hoseok collected himself, scrambling to grab the frog that was now hopping away. He tossed it into the tank, causing the other Charlies to croak wildly at the sudden intrusion of a flying frog, "Jungkook, bring the van around."

     Jungkook nodded and dashed from the room.

     "Guns, get guns," Hoseok instructed Yoongi, then turned and left the room.

     Yoongi rifled through the cabinet, snatching a tranquilizer gun from the bottom shelf and opening the chamber. He scooped up some darts and began to load it, "Did they say why they were taking him?"

      "I heard dangerous and criminal, that's all I know," Jimin watched as Yoongi stuck the loaded gun into his belt and pocketed several extra darts for good measure.

     "This is bull," Yoongi hurried over to Seokjin, seizing him by the arm and pulling him up, just as Hoseok came gliding in with a wheelchair and stopped in front of them, setting the brakes. He bent down to grab Seokjin's other arm, and they lifted him into the chair.

     "Take him to the elevator and out to the van, I'll be right out," Hoseok told Yoongi and Yoongi nodded as he undid the brakes and wheeled him out of the room, "Jimin, stay with Namjoon and keep us updated, okay?"

      "Yeah, okay."

     Hoseok grabbed a few supplies and threw them into a bookbag as he turned to Jimin, "We'll take him to Jacker's old place. Let Namjoon know after he talks to the council once they see Seokjin is gone, it's crucial that you tell him that after they leave."

     "Okay," Jimin nodded, "Hurry, they'll be here any minute."

 

     Yoongi clumsily placed Seokjin onto the middle seat of the van, taking the wheelchair and stuffing it into a bush near the door. He flopped down next to Seokjin, careful not to sit on him. Jungkook climbed into the passenger seat and Taehyung jumped into his place in the driver's seat. He stuck the key into the ignition and started the vehicle up, adjusting the rearview mirror to make sure no one was coming up the driveway. Hoseok came running out, he threw his bag into the back and settled into the third row. He leaned over the seat and handed the seatbelt to Yoongi, who clicked Seokjin in.

     Taehyung put the car in drive, did a K-turn, and raced down to the gate, "Namjoon is going to tell them that Seokjin made a break for it and we're all out hunting him."

     "They won't believe that," Yoongi adjusted Seokjin's head onto his lap. Jungkook looked away, staring out the window, reminding himself that he just needed to keep it together.

      "It doesn't matter, they can't prove Namjoon did anything against them," Hoseok concluded, glancing up at the back of Taehyung's head, "Do you remember the way to Jacker's place?"

     "Yeah, I think so," Taehyung pulled out of the driveway and onto the road, gunning it, the mansion disappearing quickly behind them. He peered in the rearview mirror at Hoseok, "Why there?"

     "Who would think to look there?" Hoseok grabbed his headphones from his pocket and stuck them in his ear, "Wake me when we arrive."

 

     Yoongi and Jungkook placed Seokjin down on a bed located in one of the bedrooms on the third floor. They both backed up and glanced at each other briefly before Yoongi left the room without uttering a single word. Jungkook grabbed a blanket from the foot of the bed, shook it off, and set it over him. He took a deep breath and sat on the bed looking down at Seokjin, the elder looked so peaceful sleeping there, you would never guess that a few days ago he was trying to murder them all.

      "You just going to stare at me?" Seokjin asked him groggily and Jungkook jumped up, backing away from the bed.

     "Seokjin?" Jungkook asked, hoping that maybe Cato had taken leave and was far away from them all. Why can't this just be some stupid nightmare?

     "Where are we?" Seokjin blinked several times, staring at the unfamiliar ceiling.

     "Jacker's house-"

     "What?" Seokjin shot up like he was lying on a bed of hot coals, "Why?"

     "The council was coming to take you."

     Seokjin uncovered himself and stood, swaying slightly, "The council wants Seokjin?"

     "Cato!" Jungkook backed away, he made a quick run to the door, but Seokjin slipped in front of him, blocking his path as he closed the door by leaning his back against it, not taking his eyes off Jungkook.

     "Why does the council want Seokjin?" Seokjin asked him, his face contorted up into an evil scowl.

     "Because you're dangerous," Jungkook was about to yell out for someone to come help, but Seokjin anticipated it and grabbed him, covering his mouth with his hand. Jungkook squirmed, trying to break free, three seconds away from placing a devastating kick to the elder's groin.

     "You yell and I snap your neck," The look in Seokjin's eyes made Jungkook shake inside, he stopped moving. "Now," Seokjin let go of Jungkook and withdrew several feet, just far enough to gauge the younger's facial expressions, "Who knows we are here?"

     "Just us and the pack-"

     "Does Sebastian know?"

     "I don't think so," Jungkook shook his head, "Not yet."

     "You're going to help me get out of here," Seokjin informed him.

      "Why would I help you?" Jungkook sassed, "No ing way in hell."

      "Because if you don't, Sebastian is going to kill Seokjin."

      "Bull."

      Seokjin grinned, "You're so trusting, it's nauseating."

     "But I should just trust you without question?" Jungkook laughed, "Wow." 

     "There are things going on you don't understand," Seokjin scoffed, "Sebastian is not the person you think he is-"

     "What are you talking about?" Jungkook could feel his face heating up.

     "He already tried to kill Seokjin once, did he not?" Seokjin probed.

     "Technically, one could see it that way," Jungkook nodded hesitantly, "It was certainly reckless-"

     "If Seokjin is dead, I can't assume his body, I need a live body to thrive."

      "Okay?"

     Seokjin sighed, his patience wearing thin, "Sebastian's motives may not be entirely transparent, if you catch my drift-"

      "You're crazy if you think I'll believe anything you have to say."

     "I can't live in a dead body, I can take over as the dominant conscience, but not as the only," Seokjin walked closer to him, Jungkook backed up, "He knows I'll search out another body to take... he wants my power for himself..."

     "Bull-" Jungkook pushed Seokjin back and headed towards the door, Seokjin grabbed his arm and pushed him against the hardwood, making an audible thump.

     "Sebastian doesn't want to share my power."

     "Scared to die... again?" Jungkook gritted his teeth, "I won't help you."

     Seokjin leaned against him to whisper in his ear, "Help me take over another body and you can have Seokjin back."

     "I help you and you're just gonna do bad things, no."

    "I can just forego this little offer, kill you and still resume my reign over the world in this nice, comfortable Seokjin suit," Seokjin stated. "Considering you're the reason I'm in this predicament in the first place, I'm giving you the chance to make things right-"

     "You're kidding me, right?" Jungkook was miffed, trying to push off the door to escape, to no avail... His fault? The nerve.

     "You killed me, Jungkook, so I figure you owe me-"

      "How far you think you're gonna get with everyone after you?"

     "I still have my contacts, I can build everything back up in an instant," Seokjin let go of Jungkook and the younger turned to face him, "but... if you help me, I will leave you and Seokjin alone."

      Jungkook was unconvinced, "Sounds legit."

     "I am telling you the truth, Sebastian will kill this body if given the chance."

     "Without Sebastian, I lose Seokjin forever," Jungkook snapped.

     "With Sebastian, you will lose Seokjin forever-" Seokjin growled, "He will betray you all-"

     "No." Jungkook thought, "Spiritus Mortem kills a spirit, I'm not ing dumb."

     "Sebastian isn't here to do Spiritus Mortem," Seokjin didn't know how else to get his point across without going into a long lecture on things Jungkook didn't need to be concerned with at the moment.

     "If you have something to say, just say it, this cryptic bull isn't convincing me."

     "If you help me now, Seokjin lives."

     "How the hell am I supposed to help you?"

     "Hoseok just has to perform a simple transference spell," Seokjin reasoned.

    Jungkook didn't understand what game Cato was trying to play, he couldn't imagine why Sebastian would have lied to them. No, Cato was just scared... he knew the spell would kill him and he would try anything to stop that from happening... even play on Jungkook's emotions.

     "Just accept the inevitable, it's your time to die-"

     "I will take him with me, you can bet on that," Seokjin's evil grin was too much, Jungkook knew he wasn't bluffing, "I will leave Seokjin's body if you help me, you can't trust Sebastian."

     Jungkook was confused, his mind in a whirl. He made his way over to the window, eyeing the outside for anyone who might be able to see him, the best he could do was appease Cato until someone came to check up on them.

     "Who's body do you plan on living in?"

     "Yoongi's," Seokjin smiled when Jungkook snapped his attention back onto him, "Think about it, I'm not going to pursue my own grandson and Yoongi is a huge thorn in your side..."

     "Two birds, one stone," Jungkook thought hard about it, "There is no way Hoseok will agree to this."

     "I will get Hoseok to help us," Seokjin walked over to him, "You just need to lure Yoongi in here and knock him out."

     "Everything about this is wrong..."

     "Wrong is letting Sebastian use his vendetta against Seokjin to hurt him, he isn't here to help."

     Jungkook was conflicted, on one hand, he wanted to rid Seokjin of Yoongi, the blood-er was a colossal pain in the and a rival for Seokjin's heart. Not only that but he and Yoongi did not get along well, so this was one person he would not miss. On the other hand, Yoongi was Seokjin's best friend and he knew Seokjin might not forgive him for helping Cato to 'kill' Yoongi in a sense, because if he was giving up his conscience to Cato - the Yoongi everyone knew would be gone. He also had to think of how much Yoongi was in love with Seokjin - to the point that their friendship would be changed since they had . Jungkook shuddered at the thought, which brought him back to being mad and figuring it was better for everyone. Taehyung may not forgive him, not just for what he was doing to a possible future relationship, but in that it was sort of a treasonous act towards the pack, sacrificing one of your own and maybe not even for the greater good. It all came down to, what if Cato was telling the truth about Sebastian - the witch hadn't exactly been completely honest, hell if he thought hard about it, he was downright vague most of the time. Then there was the whole thing with the knife... the knife that was laced with something that would have caused Seokjin to die, if it hadn't been for the quick thinking of Taehyung and Hoseok. One final thought bounced around in Jungkook's brain, Sebastian could still perform Spiritus Mortem on Yoongi... if he doesn't disappear, only to resurface again with a new army. This is tempting.

     "I sense your unease," Seokjin looked at him with a sort of empathy and for the first time, Jungkook was sure he saw a glimpse of Seokjin behind those cold black eyes.

     "I can't do it unless I know Seokjin is okay with this, I want to talk to him."

     "I cannot allow that," Seokjin made for Jungkook, but the younger slipped out of the way and headed to the door, his hand grasping the cold steel of the handle, "Wait-"

     Jungkook stopped, turning his head towards the elder, "You can kill me, but not before I let out an ear-piercing scream-"

     Seokjin pondered the idea for a moment.

     "Fair enough," He went and sat on the bed, taking in a deep breath, "I'll give you five minutes."

     "No tricks," Jungkook removed his hand from the handle, "I'll know if you're ing me over."

     Seokjin stared at him for a moment, then closed his eyes. A few moments of silence passed before he reopened them, focusing on the surroundings, he settled his pupils upon Jungkook.

     "Kookie?" He jumped up and wrapped his arms around Jungkook in an instant, hugging him tight.

     Jungkook was utterly weak, he hadn't felt Seokjin's loving embrace for so long. His heartbeat must have been audible as Seokjin looked down at the younger's chest and rested his hand over his heart.

     "Seokjin-" Jungkook did not have a chance to finish what he was going to say, Seokjin planted a kiss right on his lips, in the younger's essence. Jungkook felt like he was about to collapse.

     "Is it over? Is he gone?" Seokjin seemed out of it, like a frail baby animal who finally found his mother after days of being lost and alone, blocking out the trauma he'd endured before this moment.

     "No. I wish." Jungkook shook his head, he grabbed Seokjin's face, looking into his eyes, "We don't have a lot of time, I need you to tell me if anything ever happened between you and Sebastian."

     "Sebastian? Noni's son?" Seokjin was confused, uncertain as to why Jungkook would pose such a question, "What do you mean... happened?" Seokjin shook his head.

     "It's important you think back," Jungkook grabbed him by the shoulders, staring intently into his soul, "Anything you can recall."

     "Sebastian never really liked me, I don't know why," Seokjin mused, trying to recall if he'd ever had an incident with him, "I mean other than him telling Noni I was a psychopath, I don't remember anything that happened."

     "Would he kill you?" Jungkook stressed.

     "No, I don't think so, why?"

     Jungkook filled Seokjin in on what Cato had told him, the condensed version. He also recapped what had happened since Cato took over his body. Seokjin was beside himself at everything Cato did while occupying the same existence, then scolded himself for being too weak to be able to control this. Lastly, Jungkook told him about what he had done with Yoongi. Seokjin sobbed, and apologized profusely, begging Jungkook to forgive him. Jungkook could not lose focus, he needed to remind himself that this was an issue they would deal with when all of this was over.

     "Right now, we have bigger problems," Jungkook insisted, discussing broken hearts and hurt feelings was the last thing on his mind.

     "This is exactly why I did not want my pathetic excuse of a grandson talking to you, now you've gone and ruined everything, Seokjin," Seokjin made a bee-line for Jungkook, grasping his shirt in his hands.

     "Seokjin, fight him..."

     Seokjin pushed Jungkook away from him and grabbed his head, backing further away from the younger, "Jungkook go get Hoseok, find Sebastian. Do it now!" 

     Jungkook started for the door, turning just as Seokjin threw himself forward through the glass window and out, down to the ground with a hard thump and a loud moan. Jungkook ran over to the window, peering out, catching himself as he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter