Back to Better

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Slow and steady wins the race. What a crock of . Jungkook looked back at Taehyung and Jimin jogging the length of the field behind him and then back up at Seokjin who was a few feet ahead. Jungkook knew the brothers weren't about to win any race, they much rather plot out pranks than be competitive. Seokjin, however, was in it to win it, which was both a blessing and a curse in his case. It was good though, to be getting back to doing normal things together. It had been almost a week since they cried together in his room, and Jungkook felt that was a turning point. The next morning when they talked, Jungkook knew he wanted to give Seokjin a second chance, so they were going to take things slow.

     They had gone out to dinner last night like an actual date night, a test trial as Jungkook liked to think of it. 'Dating' was weird when you lived together already, well, sort of, Jungkook and Seokjin stayed in their separate rooms. They still got to say goodnight to each other with an old-fashioned peck on the lips before going off to lay in their own beds, awake most of the night thinking about the other. Honestly, Jungkook wanted to do other things with the elder as well, but he wasn't letting his hormones rule his head.

     Sudden rain. That's what it took for Taehyung and Jimin to haul up the path and back to their vehicle. Jungkook and Seokjin both stopped to watch them, laughing their butts off at how a little water was the one thing that would make these two reach hyperspeed. Seokjin looked up at the sky, the rain felt good on his body - the run worked up a sweat, and the refreshing drops that tapped his skin, cooled him down. Jungkook couldn't help but stare as Seokjin held out his arms and threw his head back. He felt compelled to do the same, and there they stood, the two of them inviting the rain down, twirling around, basking in the pitter-pattering that fell upon them.

     Taehyung wiped down the condensation that fogged up the inside of the window in the SUV, peering out at the two of them, a erted grin taking over his mouth. Jimin climbed over the seat to join him, wiping down a section for himself to see out of.

     "Five dollars they end up doing it right there," Taehyung joked and Jimin laughed, smacking his arm. Jimin turned back around and rested his legs on the top part of the seat in front of them.

     "So Tae," Jimin wanted to choose his words wisely because his brother had a habit of blurting things out when he wasn't supposed to, "What do you think of Harley... um Harley's... talent?"

     "Talent?" Taehyung turned around rolling his eyes, reaching forward to turn the radio on, low enough that he could still talk, "You like her, just say it."

     "I didn't say I liked her-" Jimin sighed.

     "I think she is into you if that's what you wondered," Taehyung looked over at him, smirking in a suggestive manner.

     "You... you're... ugh," Jimin knew he couldn't deny it, his brother was too perceptive when it came to this, "She's cute, that's all. I didn't say I wanted to date her."

     "Well, I approve of this one," Taehyung laid his head back against the headrest, "You know, if you wanted to date her." 

     Jimin wanted to wipe the smirk off Taehyung's face with a punch to the mouth, "You're too smug."

     "One of us has to be lucky in that department," Taehyung blew air out of his mouth, watching his lips flap.

     "You still like Yoongi?" Jimin knew he did, but he was hoping maybe Taehyung had an epiphany and came to his senses in the last two hours.

     Taehyung shrugged, "Define 'like'. I would say attracted to, definitely. Like? I dunno anymore."

     "So then, yes," Jimin patted Taehyung's thigh, "I see the way you look at him, you're a boy in love."

     Taehyung lifted his head up to look over at Jimin, slightly horrified, "I'm not that transparent, am I?"

     "Nah, bro," Jimin lied, "Not too transparent."

     Taehyung's thoughts were interrupted by two wet intruders jumping into the front seat. He looked up at Jungkook and Seokjin, hair and clothing soaked, looking at each other with their heart eyes, "That transparent?" Taehyung nudged his head towards the front.

     "No one is that see-thru," Jimin could feel the energy that Jungkook and Seokjin had towards each other pulsating all through the car like some lovesick song was playing violins all around them, "Those two are so serious they need a ship name."

     Taehyung laughed, watching Seokjin start the car up and put it into drive, "Seokkook?"

     "Sounds like you in the kitchen," Jimin cackled and Jungkook glanced back at him, wondering what the hell was so funny.

     "You're hilarious, Jimin," Taehyung frowned, smacking his arm.

 

     Harley took the bowl full of green beans over to the table and sat down, taking them out one by one to break them in half and snap off the ends, while Hoseok was busy chopping up some beef to grill up some kebabs. Fall was fast approaching as apparent by the sudden chillier weather and falling leaves, he figured there weren't too many days left to do some grilling. Jimin that he was becoming one of those barbecue dads and soon he would be wearing slippers around the house while scratching his cheeks in his dirty boxers. Hoseok had turned him into a hamster for that remark, leaving Jimin in a bottle on the counter for all of twenty minutes, only being released once Taehyung realized the hamster looked eerily like his brother. 

     "You deserved it," Hoseok frowned, missing the days when Jimin was a ghost.

     "I think I have fleas now, thank you," Jimin scratched his back, trying to maneuver around to get the spot that he couldn't quite reach and giving up with a frustrated scream, "A hamster, Hoseok?"

     Hoseok snickered.

     Harley looked over at Jimin, "I bet you were cute though," she blushed and turned back to her bowl of beans.

     Suddenly Jimin felt a bit better about becoming a furry rodent. Taehyung winked at him, mouthing the word 'cute'. Jimin flashed his middle finger in jest, implying there was a noogie in his future if he didn't stop the teasing. 

     Taehyung giggled, turning away from Jimin's obscene gesture, "So where's Jinkook at?"

     "Jinkook?" Hoseok's raised eyebrow made Jimin chuckle.

     "The resident oscillating lovebirds," Harley enlightened him and Taehyung nodded in agreement.

     "Oscillating?" Jimin scrunched up his face, shooting her a perplexing glance.

     "You know, back and forth," Taehyung whispered into his ear, "The two of them are on a perpetual emotional seesaw."

     "Then why not just say that?" Jimin whispered back.

     "I've been studying the mind, trying to understand what makes people tick," Harley shrugged, having heard what he said, "Namjoon has me reading Jean-Paul Sartre now."

     "How'd you like to study mine, tell me what's wrong with me?" Jimin kidded.

     "Smooth," Taehyung shook his head and walked out of the room.

     "I don't think she has that sort of time," Hoseok added, turning back to the plate of chopped-up beef and grabbing the skewers.

 

     Seokjin and Jungkook had decided earlier that morning to go on a spontaneous hiking expedition - some rock climbing, hiking up trails and then camping overnight, a little getaway to themselves with no one else to bother them. They didn't even tell anyone where they were going, they just up and left. Not that they were that worried about being invaded, but let's face it - Jimin and Taehyung were pesky these last few weeks and practical jokes were running rampant in the house, they could do without the distraction. Jungkook had never been camping, other than outside in his backyard as a kid, so this was a new experience for him. Seokjin assigned him the unpleasant task of setting up the tent, gauging his aggravation level the whole time. He had to laugh to himself after 20 minutes of witnessing Jungkook cursing the poles and why they didn't just snap into place like the "god-damned instructions" said.

     "Insta-set poles my ing ," Jungkook threw it down and plopped down on the ground, pouting. Seokjin had to stifle a fit of internal laughter from becoming audible to the younger, as he set up the logs for the campfire they would start at dark.

     "Trouble?" Seokjin set the last log down and spun around, scanning the ground for large rocks to set up around the wood to keep the fire contained.

     "Don't suppose you just want to sleep in the car?" Jungkook kicked the pole lying on the ground and stood, brushing the dirt off the back of his pants.

     "You're going to give up already? You've only been doing this for-" Seokjin checked his watch, "Oh damn, 22 minutes."

     "You want me to shove this pole up your ?" Jungkook picked it up and shook it at him, threatening his very existence.

     "Tell you what, you go find some big rocks," He motioned with his hands the size rocks he needed. "And I'll have this together by the time you find three.."

     "Bull, there is no way that that is physically possible, this ing tent is possessed," Jungkook whined. Seokjin burst out laughing, only to stop when he saw the murderous gaze the younger threw back at him.

     "I would take the bet then, if I don't have it together by then, you got me for one favor, anything you want," Seokjin smiled, raising his eyebrows.

      Jungkook pondered this for a moment. How hard can it be to find three cantaloupe-sized rocks? This was one bet he knew he'd win, no doubt. "Fine, I'll take that bet."

     "Just don't get lost," Seokjin walked over and grabbed a pole, Jungkook smirked, "I'll even give you a 20-second head start."

     "Awful cocky."

     "I take pity on your soul," Seokjin smiled.

     Jungkook shook his head, "Oh this is going to be one fun win."

     He sped off into the bushes, quite confident. Seokjin counted to twenty and then put the tent together in less than five minutes. He was sitting on one of the fold-up chairs, feet propped up on the pile of firewood he'd gathered when Jungkook sauntered back over fifteen minutes later, dropping three large rocks down, eyes wide.

     "How in the hell?"

     "Welcome back,"  Seokjin reached down and grabbed a hat from his backpack, "Thought maybe you were eaten by a bear or something."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter