Fight Night

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Taehyung sat on the bench in the weight room, he could hear the sounds of huffing and skin being punched around him, but his mind was focused on what Abram had told him last night, there is a hit on Jimin. His thoughts wandered back to when they were kids - Taehyung was the mousey boy with his head in the books, he was a prime target for bullying because he hated conflict and he never fought back. Jimin always stuck up for him, back when they went to a normal school, back when they couldn't let on that they were werewolf children. Most werewolves didn't have much power at that young an age, but Jimin was tough. Jimin always took a hit for him.

     Taehyung was staring out the window at the grounds, to the garden just beyond. When his family first came to the castle, he was in awe of the gardens, the flowers and plants and herbs that Noni grew in it, it quickly became his favorite place to hang out. He would come down here to listen to Noni explain what each one of the plants did and how they could be used in magic potions and spells. She taught him what plants would harm various creatures, which could be used for healing, and most importantly how to grow them. The gardens also had their own set of issues; namely spiders. Taehyung was 19 (in human years) when he was bitten by his first spider, and since that day Jimin would come down and help him pick the plants, talking to the spiders like they were kindred spirits. Jimin.

     "Taehyung?" Jungkook waved his hand in front of Taehyung's face, he snapped back to reality and looked up at Jungkook.

     "Huh?" Taehyung cleared his throat and sat upright.

     "You okay?" Jungkook sat down, wiping sweat from his forehead, fanning himself.

     "Yeah, why?" Taehyung stared back out at the gardens.

     "You keep staring out at the garden." Jungkook glanced out the window, trying to figure out what was so interesting about a bunch of plants. He shrugged and focused back on the mat.

      "Just thinking." Taehyung took a deep breath and turned back to the scene in front of him; Yoongi and Seokjin wrestling around on the mat. He peered at Jungkook, alarmed at how focused he was on Yoongi in particular, "I think I should be asking you if you're okay,"

     "Why wouldn't I be?"

     "You're tense as ."

     "Why do you all keep saying that?" Jungkook looked ready to burst.

     "Oh well, it's nothing to do with your face right now, I'm sure," Taehyung affirmed, "You're ing jealous."

     "Jealous of what?" Jungkook protested, "All their doing is beating each other up."

    Taehyung glanced over, "But then again, looks like something they both would be by."

     Jungkook frowned, "Is this helping me?"

     "After what you two did in the cemetery last night, I don't think you have anything to worry about."     

     Jungkook looked at him confused, "What?"

     "I'm sure the howls were heard 'round the world," Taehyung smirked.

     Jungkook scrunched up his face embarrassed, last night was pretty... .

   

      They watched in silence for a few minutes at the two of them go through the motions of their ground game, but the longer Jungkook watched, the tenser he grew. Why did it look like Yoongi was enjoying rolling around the floor with Seokjin, a little too much...

     "I just suddenly want to pound his stupid little face in," Jungkook whined, breaking the silence.

     Taehyung snorted.

     "First, Yoongi would kill you and second.." Taehyung thought for a moment, "No, there is no second, he would just kill you."

     Jungkook frowned again. He looked away, trying to think of something else to talk about.

     "Sooo, who is this Destra girl anyway?"

     "Just your standard Olympic grade fighter, trained in like 5 different fighting styles... with a very bad temper." Taehyung shuddered, as if remembering an incident.

     "Has Seokjin fought her?" Jungkook asked.

     "Hell no, he would kill her, you've seen him fight," Taehyung felt like Jungkook should know that.

     "Okay?" Jungkook snapped. "What is with you today?"

     Taehyung grimaced, watching as Jungkook went back over to the mat.  What is wrong with me? What was wrong was he couldn't get Jimin out of his head, as much as he hated to admit it, he missed him.

     

      No one had seen Namjoon the last few days, usually Noni knew where he was in cases of emergencies, but since she was gone, Namjoon didn't really talk to anyone, let alone divulge his whereabouts. Jungkook knocked on his office door two days in a row, and both days, only silence. He sighed and walked away, determined to scour the kitchen cabinets for something to eat, the rumble in his stomach was beyond sounding like a hungry monster had moved in.

      Hoseok was in the kitchen, stirring something in a pot that looked like putrefied organs and smelled twice as bad. Jungkook really missed Noni and her amazing cooking, each day he was getting more afraid to come into the kitchen. Hoseok's house of horrors menu was disturbing, at best, most days.

     "You!" Hoseok beckoned him, waving his hand at Jungkook, "Come here."

     "What?" Jungkook walked over, a wave of the pot's contents hit his nose and he felt like he was going to throw up. "What the hell...is that?"

     Jungkook pinched his nose closed, feeling Hoseok grab his other hand and then a sharp pain, he attempted to draw his hand back, when he felt Hoseok squeeze it. He swooshed away the steam in time to see Hoseok was adding the blood, from the fresh slit across his palm, to the pot.

     "Good, thanks," Hoseok let go of Jungkook's hand and Jungkook drew it up to his body, covering it with his good hand.

     "You ." Jungkook whined, "Why did you do that?"

     "Werewolf blood, just a pinch." Hoseok set the lid on the pot and smiled at him like he didn't just do the weirdest thing ever. Jungkook's blank expression made him chuckle, "Sorry, I didn't think you would volunteer."

     Jungkook shook his head, this guy was messed up in the head, "Zombie rot."

     "Do you want something to eat?" Hoseok asked, going to the sink to wash his hands.

     "Not that ." Jungkook made a disgusted face.

     "Well of course not, it would probably kill you," Hoseok grumbled. "How about hamburgers, rare?"

     "I've lost my appetite," Jungkook gagged, he grabbed a soda from the fridge and walked out of the room.

 

     The fight night arena was crowded, noisy, and reeked of blood and sweat, much worse than the last time Jungkook had been to this place. Then again, this time he would be fighting, so it could have been amplified by his nerves. It seemed like all his senses were heightened, even the hairs on his arms were picking up vibrations from the audience as the three of them headed towards the back where the locker rooms were located. All eyes trained upon them as if they were superstars, Jungkook felt like he was going to burst. Seokjin and Yoongi walked like they owned the place, unfazed by anything, even the boos that some people were throwing their way.

     The locker room was smaller than he pictured in his head, there were only six others present, all off to the side doing their various pre-fight rituals, like hand wraps and praying to whatever god they worshipped. The fight card was pretty stacked, so he knew this couldn't be everyone and imagined there were other locker rooms elsewhere. He wondered where his opponent was, his eyes darting nervously to each of the people here. Mentally, he was sizing them up, figuring he could take at least three of them in a fight.

     He let out a loud breath as he set his bag down on the bench next to Seokjin's, the elder gave him a sympathetic smile and somehow he knew everything would be okay. Jungkook could only nod as he sat, grabbing his gloves from his bag and setting them down on the bench. Seokjin snatched the wraps and kneeled down in front of him, positioning Jungkook's hand so they extended out in front of him. He began to wrap them, glancing up every so often to look at the younger. Jungkook kept taking in deep breaths, trying to calm himself.

     "Relax." Seokjin grabbed both of his hands to stop the shaking, "You're gonna do fine." 

      "Then why do I feel like I'm going to throw up?" Jungkook yelled over the noise around him. 

     "Nerves. It's normal," Seokjin assured the younger and he half-smiled back at Seokjin. 

     Seokjin finished wrapping Jungkook's hands and then fit the gloves over top, securing the velcro. They felt tight, but perfect. 

     "Just remember, block and duck," Seokjin smiled, placing both hands on Jungkook's shoulder, he squeezed. He then sat down and handed his wraps to Yoongi.

     Jungkook was feeling restless and started to stretch his legs, using the bench to plop his foot down on to, trying to loosen his muscles. Moments later it turned into pacing back and forth, trying to remember take down maneuvers and maintaining side control.

     "Remember our first time here?" Yoongi laughed, and Seokjin looked over at Jungkook.

      "I wasn't that bad." Seokjin focused his attention back to Yoongi, "Right?"

     "No, you were unnaturally calm, I thought you were drugged." Yoongi nodded, "His reaction is normal. You're just a psycho."

     Seokjin smirked, "His fight is second, mine is third. When's yours?" 

     "Last one, so I have time."

     Yoongi grabbed Seokjin's gloves and slipped them on his hands over the wraps, securing the velcro, "Good?" 

     Seokjin smacked the gloves together and nodded, "Perfect."

     Jungkook continued to pace, like he was determined to wear a groove into the floor that could swallow him up. Seokjin rose from the bench and grabbed ahold of the younger's waist, stopping him, Jungkook stared up at him. 

     "I love you," Seokjin mouthed the words and Jungkook smiled, inhaling another large breath. "You ready?"

     Jungkook nodded, he couldn't talk, nothing seemed to come out. It was probably for the best, he felt like if he opened his mouth, he would puke.

     "Kick some ," Yoongi cheered him on, not bothering to look up from his phone.

     Seokjin walked Jungkook over to the waiting area where the fighters stood to wait for their fight, right next to the bleachers where the fans sat. The first fight had just ended and they were dragging the loser off the floor. The crowd roared in excitement as the winner held his hands up and then headed off the mat the opposite way of where they stood. Jungkook closed his eyes, taking in one last deep breath. Duck and block... and punch... lots of punching.

     "You can take this guy," Seokjin assured him, massaging his shoulders.

     "For our next card, we have Delta Packs up-and-comer Manny "The Beast" Lopez versus newcomer Jungkook Jeon..." 

     Jungkook's name echoed over the speakers and he opened his eyes, glaring at the announcer.

     "Remember what I taught you," Seokjin planted a kiss on the younger's lips, "Kick his ."

     He looked up at Seokjin who nodded at him.

     

     Jungkook trudged out onto the floor, his knees wobbled more and more with each step he took, he hoped he wouldn't pass out now. How embarrassing would it be to lose your first fight because you passed out before it even started?  Focus, you got this.

     When he got to the edge of the mat, the announcer checked his gloves and asked him if he was ready, he wasn't - but he wasn't about to run off the mat and disappoint Seokjin. He looked across the floor at his opponent, who looked as young and nervous as he was. He nodded.

     Internally, Jungkook knew he could beat this kid, no doubt. He just needed to focus, forget everything else and see only his opponent.

     "... Left corner, weighing in at 155 pounds, Jungkook Jeon."

     When he heard the crowd start cheering, an instant calm washed over him like he did this sort of thing every day. He cracked his neck and looked down at the floor, then up at the ceiling as if thanking the devil and the gods for what was about to happen. He smirked and looked back at his opponent, a sudden seriousness overtook him, his expression turned vicious. 

     Chills ran through Seokjin's body, watching Jungkook on the mat ready to lay down some hurt, he was reminded of himself and he couldn't help but smile.

     The bell rang and Jungkook touched gloves with Manny, then put his hands up, ready to kick . They circled each other a few times before Manny made the first move, swinging full force at him. Jungkook ducked and countered with a right hook to the kid's cheek, sending him backward startled. Jungkook snarled at him

     "Huh?" Manny's eyes widened, petrified.

     That was all Jungkook needed to see, now he just had the urge to finish him fast.

     He roundhouse kicked the kid in his face, sending him down to his knees. Don't give him a chance to recover. Jungkook leaned down and gripped the kid by a fistful of hair and kneed him in the jaw, Manny yelled out as he fell to the mat.

     Jungkook backed up, waiting for him to get up. Manny scrambled to stand, wiping the trickle of blood that was staining his lip and staring at it for a moment. He spat a wad of bloody saliva onto the floor and then turned to face Jungkook, his eyes glowing white. Jungkook had pissed him off.

     Maybe now he'll be a challenge, Jungkook smirked, continuing to glare at the kid with a malevolent scowl.

     Manny charged him, tackling him to the ground, he hauled off and punched Jungkook hard in the jaw, leaving a small gash across his lip. Big mistake. The instant he tasted the blood in his mouth, Jungkook felt something in him snap, his adrenaline kicked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter