Connection

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      

 

     Yoongi's feet were propped up on the coffee table, he was nursing a warm beer, too comfortable to get up and grab a cold one... or maybe it was because the basketball game on in front of him had him so wound up that if he took his eyes off for one second, he knew something cataclysmic would happen. His team's first mistake happened during the jump ball and everything just went downhill from there, he was about to lose a twenty dollar bet. He swept his flaxen hair from his eyes and sat up, determined not to yell at the television this time, and by yell, not insert a foot into it.

     "Take it to the hole, jesus.. what are you doing?" He threw his hands up when the other team stole the ball, spilling his beer down the front of him, "."

     He sipped the stray beer from the rim and set the can down, sloshing off the wetness from his shirt. That's when the knock came. It was three taps and a bang.

     No way in hell? He smiled. Seokjin had always liked those 'spy' signals, it was a little inside joke between them. He walked to the door and flung it open, gazing upon the sight that stood before him, Seokjin Kim in the flesh.

     "Well, I didn't expect to see you at my door," Yoongi beckoned them in. He watched as Seokjin and Jungkook crossed the threshold, then closed the door behind them. 

     "Long time, no see," Seokjin removed his coat and threw it on the back of the couch.

     "This must be the kid I've heard so much about."

     "Depends on what you heard," Jungkook shrugged, kidding.

     "I like him already," Yoongi commented as he walked straight over to the bar that covered the whole left side of his living room, "Drink?"

     Jungkook shook his head.

     "Make it a double," Seokjin walked over to the bar, plopping down. He watched as Jungkook strolled over and sat down on the couch.

     The younger was admiring Yoongi's simple decor of one couch, two armchairs, a television, a well-stocked bar with several stools, and a coffee table- which held a half-dead plant and three stray coins. Below the coffee table was just a plain blue rug that had several dark spots staining the woven threads, from what he could tell, it was dried blood. Jungkook surmised that Yoongi was either a mass murderer or a clumsy drunk.

     "You're really taken with this kid," Yoongi said quietly, noticing Seokjin staring at Jungkook, a not-so-subtle look of infatuation adorning his features.

     Seokjin sighed as he looked at Yoongi, not about to confirm nor deny his observation, "I need to ask you some stuff."

     "What could I possibly help you with?"

      "You're one of the archivists-"

     "Not sure what you mean," Yoongi replied.

     "You have a loose tongue when you're drunk," Seokjin reminded him. 

     Yoongi thought for a moment before he shrugged, agreeing, "Never could keep anything from you."

     Packs would split up their private archives into six to eight units, each member would get a set amount of information to keep hidden, and usually, the archivists were kept secret to try to thwart anyone from trying to kidnap and torture said keepers for pack information and secrets. Yoongi was in charge of pack enemies... which meant there was a good chance that Yoongi had intel on Jacker.

     "I'm a little uncomfortable with the amount of information Jacker has on me," He paused to watch Yoongi's reaction, "Why is it that he knows more than I do?"

     Yoongi pushed the drink towards Seokjin and held up his own, they clinked glasses and drank them down.

     "Smooth." Yoongi blew air out of his mouth as he slammed the glass down, "What I know, I can't tell you without compromising my position here."

     "You left the pack. it's not like people are hunting you," Seokjin pointed out.

     "I left the castle, not the pack. Namjoon has people looking after me," Yoongi explained, "I can't afford to jeopardize that, not even for you."

     "I'm not asking for the secrets of the whole pack-"

     "Nor should you," Yoongi retorted, "Because you'd have wasted your time coming here."

     "You of all people know how dangerous Jacker is. You know what he did to my family-" Seokjin accidentally broke the glass in his hand from squeezing too hard, sending glass shards all over the bar.

     "Same temper I see," Yoongi protested. He threw a rag at him and Seokjin began to clean it up, pulling a piece of glass from his palm and off the trickle of blood that ran down his wrist.

     "I just want to know why the hell he would know so much about me-"

     "And why he wants Jungkook?" Yoongi asked, eyebrow raised, Seokjin glared at him. "I hear things."

     "I mean if you won't help, I guess I can track down Jacker and ask him myself," Seokjin forcefully threw the rag down on the small pile of the cup's remains, a few of the pieces flew off the bar and landed on the floor.

     Yoongi peered at him with a sardonic grin, "What do you want written on your tombstone?"

     "Please," Seokjin pleaded.

     Yoongi sighed, if a 'please' had come from Seokjin's mouth, it must be pretty important to him. He glanced over at Jungkook, contemplating in his mind how many bad things would come of him helping them. Ugh. He focused his attention back on Seokjin, shaking his head, remembering above all else that this man was once his best friend and defying the rules was fun for them. "I'm gonna take a walk with the kid. FYI, my office is down the hall to the right, my computer's password is the same as my birthday, do you get what I'm saying?" 

     "Yeah," Seokjin nodded, "Thank you."

     Yoongi sauntered over to Jungkook and after a few whispered words and a confused look, he and Yoongi stepped out the back door. Seokjin headed down the hallway and entered Yoongi's office, he marched over to the desk and the lamp as he sat down. Yoongi's living room may have been a minimalist's dream aesthetic, but his office was the complete opposite; a huge, unorganized mess. He moved a stack of papers to the side and flipped open the laptop. The smell of decaying pizza permeated his nostrils as he pushed several pizza boxes off the desk, only to be greeted with a loud hiss from a resting cat that was now halfway up the curtains. Since when does Yoongi own a cat? Seokjin chuckled to himself, as he turned the machine on and waited for it to boot up. He had no clue what he was looking for and didn't suppose there would be a bright flashing neon sign saying, 'read this'. He typed in the password, pausing wide-eyed for a moment at the wallpaper as it came into view; it was the two of them, eleven years ago, maybe twelve, holding up drinks and smiling their drunk asses off. That was a hell of a good night. He was hit with a bit of nostalgia, smiling like a giddy little schoolboy as his mind wandered. Concentrate, Seokjin.

     He shook it off and looked back down at the screen, several folders were placed atop both their heads to resemble horns. One was marked 'PACK' and inside was a folder named Jacker. Bingo, neon sign.

 

     Jungkook stopped short as he stepped off the porch of Yoongi's abode, in complete awe of the sight outside his back door. Sprawled out in front of them was an enormous lake surrounded on the far side by immensely foreboding trees that were a little too tall to be natural. Jungkook wondered what evils lurked about in them, hoping he wasn't about to find out.

     "Creepy."

     Yoongi stopped at the shore's edge taking in the atmosphere, turning to give a quick smile to the younger, "Keeps away the curious."

     It was quite peaceful out here in spite of the menacing backdrop, only the sound of buzzing insects well into choruses of familiar mating rituals filled his ears. The water was extremely clear for a lake, almost too transparent, Jungkook thought. He felt a little awkward being out here with a dude he just met five minutes prior, he was unsure of what to say since he was not good with making small talk. Instead, he just stared at the water, transfixed with the way the sky reflected into it, it was mesmerizing... inviting...

     Yoongi threw a stone and disrupted the image, making it zigzag within the ripples. Jungkook looked up at him confused.

     "Sorry, if you stare too long, you're likely to end up at the bottom of it," Yoongi grabbed Jungkook's palm and placed several rocks inside.

     "Huh?" Jungkook looked down at his hand.

     "Lady of the lake, she had to be put somewhere," Yoongi threw another stone and Jungkook looked at him like he was crazy.

     "Sure," He grinned, convinced that Yoongi was playing with him.

     "You have no problem with werewolves and demons existing out there, but a lady of the lake is where you draw the line?" Yoongi laughed.

     "Ok, I'll bite," Jungkook skipped the stone across the surface, "What is a lady of the lake?"

     "I guess she's kind of a siren," Yoongi bent down to grab a few more rocks, "Except she doesn't sing to claim her victims, they come to her willingly, so captivated by the site of the reflection they walk into the water and drown," Yoongi skipped one himself, disappointed in how it just flopped and sunk, "Then she eats them."

     "Sirens actually exist?" Jungkook was so out of tune with this world.

     "Pretty much all the beasts that have stories about them are based on actual beings," Yoongi smirked. "You have a lot to learn."

     "Yeah, I know." Jungkook threw the handful of rocks into the water, annoyed at his lack of knowledge of the supernatural world he was part of. What the hell is taking Seokjin so long? He turned his head to look back at the house and froze.

     "Don't worry, you'll learn," Yoongi glared at the younger, noticing his face changed suddenly, a love-drunk little smile had spread across his mouth. Yoongi peered over his shoulder wondering what the heck the kid was staring at. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter