Bonus 11: Calm before the Storm

Always Unsuspecting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   

 

 

     It was close to 5 AM, three days until Halloween. The atmosphere in the castle was tense. It seemed a permanent ground fog had settled itself in, making everything even more direful. Taehyung had accused Jimin of setting up dry ice machines as a joke, the fog just seemed too unreal. It looked straight out of an 80s horror movie, where at any minute the bad guy would sprout up from the mistiness and mutate into a cringy, six-headed abomination that would threaten the world's very existence. Jimin said he would never do such a thing at a time like this, though he probably would have during his pesky ghost days.

     Jungkook couldn't sleep, between his nerves and Seokjin's snoring, he was having a bout of insomnia. He thought a long walk outside would ease his mind a bit, maybe make him tired in the process. He was walking the perimeter of the fence as if searching for something, at least that's what it looked like to Yoongi who stared down at the younger from his spot on the roof where he sat, legs dangling. He too, could not sleep... but for a much different reason. Yoongi could not quiet the thoughts in his head, he kept questioning why the entity wanted him to wait for the blood moon, for Halloween. He could easily just go take care of Jihoon now, without the fear of something going wrong. The voices just kept telling him to wait.

     "Who is Yoosun's equal?" Yoongi thought aloud. It was never explicitly said that Yoosun had to be the one to off Seokjin, if all he needed was his blood, then he could leave it to Jihoon, let the grunt do all the dirty work. A two birds, one stone kind of deal... Or, was it Jungkook? Since he had Namjoon's power and was some sort of weather manipulator, he could very well be the one Yoosun believed could match him.

     Yoongi's thoughts were interrupted by the spotting of a certain vampire climbing a part of the west wall, sneaking back onto the castle grounds. You little son of a .

     Yoongi jumped down off the roof and landed in the grass, he was on a mission to nab the little truant and find out what deeds he was up to that involved a late-night trip, alone, in and out of the castle. He crouched down behind a bush, waiting for Sehun to get close enough to grab him. He was five seconds from pouncing when Jungkook gripped his arm, stopping him from moving. Yoongi turned his head towards Jungkook as he yanked his arm away. The younger held his finger to his lips to tell him to shush. Jungkook peered over Yoongi's shoulder and waited until Sehun was inside.

     "What the ?" Yoongi stood, eyeing the younger as he too stood.

      "He's been meeting Amelia in her car down the road for the past few nights, maybe longer," Jungkook informed him, "Something about Halloween and making sure they got in."

     "How do you know that?"

     "I've been watching him," Jungkook had watched him like a hawk since he felt like Sehun was up to something. He'd discovered the crafty 'lil creature of the night was sneaking out when everyone went to bed.

     "Then I need to take him out now-" Yoongi's expression turned angry.

     "The vampires will revolt," Jungkook recited, "That's what the fairy told us."

     "Amelia is planning something," Yoongi scoffed, "All the high-ranking vampires will be at that party."

     "A coup," Jungkook assumed.

     "I'd say Sehun has outworn his welcome," Yoongi seethed.

     "I'd agree."

     "Seeing as you don't have the stomach, I'll handle it."

     Jungkook shook his head, "No."

     "NO?" Yoongi questioned.

     "I have a plan," Jungkook assured him and began to walk back to the castle.

     "What plan?" Yoongi followed.

     Jungkook opened the front door and turned to him, "It's not your concern."

     Yoongi smirked, "I'm glad your balls have finally dropped, but now is not the time to be keeping secrets."

     Jungkook laughed to himself as he his heel and went inside. Yoongi chased after him, trailing him down to the basement and into the lab.

 

     Sehun was about to climb into his cot when he stopped to gawk at his visitors.

     "Where have you been?" Yoongi asked, ignoring Jungkook's dirty looks.

     "Bathroom."

     "Didn't realize Amelia's car had such a feature," Jungkook grinned.

     Sehun's face dropped.

     "You almost had me fooled with your innocent act over the crystal,"  Yoongi was angry.

     "I actually didn't know about it, but you know my father, he thinks I'm an idiot."

     "Well, he wouldn't be wrong," Yoongi crossed his arms as he leaned against the counter.

      "So what are you gonna do now?" Sehun plopped down on the cot, peering up at them both.

      Yoongi shrugged, "This one has a plan."

      Sehun and Yoongi both cackled at the thought. Jungkook was not amused.

      "I hear the sunrises in the back fields are nice," Jungkook smiled when Sehun stopped laughing.

     Yoongi was almost impressed, if the inkling he was getting from Jungkook was about to become reality.

 

     The middle of the back fields was still veiled in darkness, exuding a menacing aura that surpassed that of the surrounding estate. Jungkook clicked shut a large steel-plated padlock and backed up, glaring down at Sehun who was kneeling below him, ankles chained to the old willow tree stump that lay deserted of all life in the middle of the field. Sehun pulled at the chain, testing its durability, it was transformation-grade quality, there was no escaping this.

     "Any last words?" Jungkook's smile upturned into a wicked little scowl.

     " you!" Sehun's face was wrought with worry. He didn't know if this was all a bluff to get him to spill his guts, but it was on the verge of success.

      "Classic," Yoongi clapped. The whole chained out in the field, awaiting the sun's arrival tactic was vintage, "Didn't think you had it in you."

     "You and Seokjin like to underestimate me," Jungkook kicked Sehun across the face with his size 9 boot. Sehun toppled over with a definitive grunt.

     "This isn't going to work," Sehun spat out a wad of blood as he straightened back up.

     "I'd say forty-five minutes until sunrise?" Jungkook glanced at his watch and then out at the horizon, "Give or take."

     "I'm loyal to my coven."

     "Yeah, well, I'm pretty sure I figured out the whole plan without your help," Jungkook's face went stoic, "I really just don't like you."

     Yoongi was getting an odd sense of fondness for the younger, "I think you just managed to impress me for once in your life."

     Jungkook ignored Yoongi, focusing on Sehun beneath him, sweating, "Didn't you say I should show Seokjin I'm not the wimp he thinks I am?"

     "I said you should kick his , not kill me," Sehun yelled, more panicked than he intended to let on.

     Jungkook squatted down, grabbing Sehun's cheeks and squeezing, "You're here to open a door so that Amelia can lead her revolt," Jungkook shook his head, "You're a low-life, a follower... There is no reason for me to keep you alive right now."

     "That's Namjoon's decision-" Sehun pulled his head back, releasing himself from Jungkook's grasp.

     "It's not like anyone would miss you," Jungkook stood back up, exchanging glances with Yoongi, "You're the black sheep. This was probably your last attempt to get them to see you in a new light."

     "Amelia will find a way in even without me," Sehun sneered, "Nothing's gonna stop her from assassinating her husband."

     "Oh really?" Yoongi was now intrigued.

      Sehun knew he said too much.

     "Do tell," Yoongi smirked, "The cat is already out of the bag."

     "I'm not saying ," Sehun was resolute, "Go ahead and kill me."

     "Suit yourself." Jungkook turned and strolled over to the fence near the gardens. Yoongi backtracked, gauging Sehun's stern expression with glee.

 

     Jungkook and Yoongi stood leaning against the garden wall, watching as the familiar orange tint began to ascend into the sky.

     "I give it ten more seconds," Yoongi remarked.

     "You know I removed the spelled item, the sun will kill him if he doesn't cooperate," Jungkook felt a pang of guilt.

     "You willing to take this the whole way, bunny boy?"

     "Can you not call me that?" Jungkook leaned up, cracking his neck.

     "Question still stands."

     "He doesn't want to die," Jungkook no sooner said the words, before Sehun beckoned him.

     "This is not funny," Sehun screamed out, "I can feel the hairs on my arms starting to singe."

     " to ," Jungkook slipped on a pair of sunglasses.

     "Come on man," Sehun whined.

     The sun peeked out from the tree line, casting its warm glow upon the grass a mere few feet from where Sehun was chained.

     "Two more minutes and it should all be over," Yoongi smiled, slipping on his own shades, "I'll send my best to your coven."

     The sun came into view, Sehun panicked, "I'll tell you whatever you want to know... please."

     Jungkook didn't move.

     Yoongi glanced at him, "Is this part of the plan?"

     Jungkook fished a ring out of his pocket, he twirled it in his fingers for a few moments, "If you can get it, you can live." Jungkook chucked the ring, it landed just shy of Sehun's reach.

     Sehun dove towards it, trying his hardest to reach the shiny silver object, the spelled ring that would keep him from frying in the rays of the hot star. He pulled at the chain, inching forward a bit. The sunlight hit his foot, creeping slowly up his thigh. 

     "You better hurry your pace," Jungkook began to walk toward the scared vampire.

     "Help me..."

     "Help yourself," Jungkook stopped just above Sehun's ring, looking down at him, fingertips an inch from the prize, "So close."

     "..." Sehun felt the sun hit his hips and then stomach, a hair away from the bare skin of his arms, he cursed his choice in sleep attire. In less than five seconds he would burn alive... "Come on..."

     "Just a bit further..." Jungkook taunted.

     The rays hit his arms and began to boil his skin, he yelled out. Thumping against the stump, he pushed his foot against the splintered wood. His fingernail grazed the metal as the sun hit his neck, smoke rising off of him like he was kindling.

     "Come on, you're about to die and this is the best you got?"

     Sehun dug his nail into the earth, hitting the rounded edge of the ring. Somehow by luck, he was able to make it flip up and roll over the back of his hand where he was able to grab it. He slipped it on just as his charcoaling skin caught fire. As the sun left the tree line and graced the blue skyline with its brilliance, a glow encased him extinguishing the flames.

     "He chooses life!" Jungkook gave a cheeky smile.

     "You son of a !" 

     Jungkook popped the lock and pulled the chain, releasing him. Yoongi grabbed his arm and pulled him up.

     "Easy, ," Sehun winced at the pressure.

     "Damn, that feels painful," Yoongi pulled his hand away from Sehun's heated appendage, shuddering at the crunchiness of his skin.

 

     Jungkook pushed Sehun down onto the bed in the sound-proof room. Sehun sang like a canary, filling their ears with Amelia's plans like a grand symphony's playing of dirty deeds... everything he knew about the vampire coup and Amelia's plan to kill her husband during Yoosun's diversion.

     "Who is Jihoon's last victim?"

     "Last victim?" Sehun was clueless as to what that meant.

     "The final person to ascend him," Yoongi realized he was the only one who knew the full story of the spell that would link all vampires.

     "I don't know," Sehun scratched his arm, the healing was itchy. "What are you going to do with me now?"

     Jungkook stood from the chair, "I dunno. I guess that all depends on how everything goes at the party."

     Sehun glanced around Jungkook to Yoongi, "If Amelia kills Jacob, she takes the council, no amount of votes will matter.

     

     Jungkook and Yoongi shuffled into the kitchen, tired. They both grabbed a beverage from the fridge. Yoongi's usual blood bag felt so good in his dry mouth, the sun had a way of making it feel like he had gargled with a glass full of sand.

     Jungkook popped open a soda, stopping mid-gulp to stare at the perplexing creature of the night. Something was different about him.

     "What?" Yoongi felt the younger's eyes penetrate the back of his head.

     "You're not you, why?" Jungkook leaned against the counter, trying to figure out what could have changed.

     "I'm not me?" Yoongi laughed, "Who am I then?"

     "Something is... different," Jungkook had no clue that Yoongi was harboring a visitor. Seokjin had not confided in him about what he and Hoseok figured out at Cato's estate.

     "Impending death changes a person," Yoongi shrugged, "Don't think too hard on it."

     "I didn't plan to."

     "Get some sleep kid, you'll need to be at your peak for Halloween," Yoongi held up his blood bag as if toasting him off to a good life and then sauntered out of the room.

 

     Seokjin pushed the door to the weight room open and stepped through, studying the equipment that held the sweat and toil of the many pack members who trained here. This room is where he spent the most time for so many years, it was bittersweet that this might be one of the last times he would train in it. He would never admit it to the rest of them, but he tasted the impact of Yoosun's magic and he knew that there was a huge possibility he might not make it out alive. Yoosun wanted him dead and he felt his father could very well beat him. On the other hand, if he didn't take his father down, then Jungkook could die... and he simply would not risk that. He slipped on his gloves and secured the velcro, smashing his fists together, he took a big breath.

     He let loose, beating the bag hard as the thoughts of Yoosun and Yoongi and Jihoon and Jungkook swam around in his brain. All the good times and bad times intertwined like a documentary swirled about, especially his moments with Jungkook. For the past two days, he considered something that would change his life forever. Today, after his workout, he would pop into town and buy a ring. A ring that he would slip on the finger of the love of his life. If he was going to perish in a few days, he at least wanted to marry Jungkook. He'd already planned out the details with Hoseok, who would officiate the ceremony. He didn't need a big fancy celebration, he just needed the pack... and a best man.

     Yoongi waltzed into the room and stopped short, "Seokjin."

     "Yoongi," Seokjin met his eye.

      "Felt like I haven't seen you in days," Yoongi removed his hoody and grabbed a pair of gloves, "Oh wait, I haven't."

     Seokjin turned away from him and returned to punching the bag, "Had a ton of to do."

     "Something wrong?" Yoongi stopped directly behind him.

     "Why would anything be wrong?"

     "Strange vibes from you," Yoongi secured his locket beneath his tank.

     Seokjin threw around the idea of straight-up asking Yoongi if something happened in the attic with him and that light. He had no clue if what was inside Yoongi was an ally or an enemy, though he was leaning towards the latter, "Just keeping busy."

     "Yeah," Yoongi smirked, "Glad this wasn't awkward or anything."

     Seokjin watched his best friend walk over to the weight bench and sit. He contemplated a moment, "I need a best man."

     Yoongi's attention snapped to Seokjin, "Best man as in... you're getting married?"

     "Well, I haven't asked him yet," Seokjin jabbed the bag a few times. "Tonight, after dinner-"

     "Marriage is a huge step," Yoongi didn't bother to hide his disapproval, "You sure this is what you wan-"

     "More than sure," Seokjin cut him off, "I've never been more sure of anything."

     "Would you be doing this if you weren't worried you might die in a few days?"

     "I was going to eventually," Seokjin grabbed the bag, leaning against it, "I just want there to be one thing in my life I've done right."

     "So am I to assume you figure one of you is going to be crossing over?" Yoongi laid back, gripping the barbell.

     "I'm not going to assume one of us can't," Seokjin glanced over at Yoongi and then back to the bag, jabbing it a few more times.

     "So much for that famous confidence," Yoongi lifted the bar off the rack and began a set of reps.

     "There's a big difference between confident and cocky," Seokjin kicked the bag, sighing. "Yoosun is powerful, to underestimate him would be deadly."

     "Agreed, but... you can't go in with doubt on your mind," Yoongi could tell Seokjin was throwing a significant weight of bad around in his brain.

     "It would be dumb to think we'd all come out unscathed."

     "I guess an alive realist is better than a dead egotist." Yoongi replaced the bar and sat up.

     "I just hope you know what you're doing," Seokjin glanced over at him as he slipped off his gloves.

     "With what?"

     Seokjin threw them down in the bag, grabbing a bottle of water and uncapping it, "I don't think I have to say it."

     Yoongi watched as Seokjin walked out. Seokjin knows.

 

     Seokjin found the rings at the second shop, they were perfect. Black Tungsten with a white gold band along the outsides. Technically it was a wedding band, but if Jungkook said yes, he would just have Hoseok marry them off right away. What if he says no? Seokjin shook that thought right out of his head, he couldn't think of any reason why Jungkook would say no. He checked his watch, it was fifteen minutes before they would meet at the restaurant down the road. Seokjin would wait until dessert, he'd pre-ordered Jungkook's favorite - a chocolate bingsu that he was having the chef prepare especially for the occasion. He was so nervous his palms were sweaty as he took the package from the jeweler and bid him farewell. The hike down the road was filled with thoughts of their future together, that is, if Yoosun didn't snuff one of them out. The only thing he knew for certain was that Jungkook was the one constant in his life that made sense.

 

     The private room was decorated with strung white lights tacked against the crown molding along all four walls, it twinkled against the pale blue wallpaper, setting a serene tone. They needed a calm tonight. A bouquet of Jungkook's birth flower was resting in a vase in the middle of the table; five perfectly bloomed tiger flowers. The florist said they meant 'love me'. Not like he needed to wish for that, unlike the flowers, he and Jungkook had a connection that could never wither... So why did his nerves feel like a tourniquet was wrapped around them? 

     Calm down. Breathe. Everything tonight will be perfect.

     Jungkook was already seated when Seokjin came around the corner, he stopped short, his breath hitched at the sight of Jungkook smiling sweetly at his arrival. It was like the tension was instantly erased. Seokjin approached, returning the smile as he sat, the box in his jacket pocket. There was no doubt in his mind, this was just... right.

     "I'd ask the occasion, but seeing you right now, it doesn't even matter," Jungkook took a deep breath. "I just hope I get to see many more of these."

     "Me too," Seokjin nodded to the waiter and the waiter nodded back as he exited the room. Seokjin turned his attention to Jungkook, "I ordered ahead of time."

     "I know, I was informed when I asked for a menu," Jungkook smirked. He was a tad nervous himself, figuring Seokjin set this all up because it could be their last date together. He didn't want to dwell on that, but the thoughts haunted him, nagging at him. He glanced at the decorations, anything to take his mind off their situation, "The lights look nice."

     "I guess we should talk about the elephant in the room," Seokjin bit his lip, "Not that I want to think about it-"

     "Then don't," Jungkook reached across the table and clasped hands with Seokjin, "Not tonight."

     "Jungkook-"

     "Tonight it's just me and you, the rest of the world doesn't exist."

     Seokjin couldn't help but stare into the younger's dark browns, Jungkook was the most beautiful thing he'd ever known. "Fair enough."

     "I'm starving, so I hope you ordered a ton of food," Jungkook pulled his hand back and took a sip of his water.

     "I think you'll like dessert the best," Seokjin smiled.

     The waiter brought in a bottle of wine and popped it open, letting Seokjin sniff the cork. He nodded and the waiter poured a glass for each of them.

     "Wine," Jungkook remarked, taking a sip as the waiter stuck the bottle in ice and left the room, "Expensive wine."

     "You said it was your favorite," Seokjin took a sip of his own.

     "Should I be worried?" Jungkook set his glass down. Private room, his favorite type of decor and wine... full course meal and dessert to come. Was Seokjin really this worried about facing off with his father?

     "We've been through a lot together," Seokjin refilled their glasses, thinking back, "Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me."

     "Well, I've wanted to kill you once or twice," Jungkook confided and Seokjin snickered, "But, I always knew you were the one."

     "I'm glad you're stubborn."

      "Would you have liked me back if I wasn't?" Jungkook toasted him and then drank down his wine.

     "True." Seokjin took a sip of the wine and smiled.

     The waiter entered with their food, setting down two 12-ounce medium-rare deer steaks with all the ts, in front of them both, "Bon appétit"

     Jungkook looked at it wide-eyed. Deer. He got the chef to prepare us deer.

     "Freshly caught and skinned," Seokjin picked up his utensils, grimacing over his not-so-romantic announcement, "Sorry."

     "Never apologize for deer," Jungkook cut into his meat, basking in the taste of the succulent meat as it hit his tongue. 

     Seokjin was captivated, Jungkook enjoying his dinner made him nostalgic of their first hunt together, "Memories."

     "One of the best nights of my life," Jungkook reminisced. 

     "Mine too." Seokjin took a bite of his own, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter