Chapter 3

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haneul woke up and she looked around to her surrounding, she slipped out of bed. She looked down and saw that she was still wearing the dress from yesterday, then she noticed the clothes at the desk. She walked over, grabbing them and walked into the bathroom. She slipped out the door and headed straight to the place where she hope it would still be there, she stopped outside of the room. She took a breath and placed her hand on the door, she turned the knob and walked in. It was the same as she left it, the five white bunny dolls on the bed. The pink and white theme she loved on the wall, cute things here and there. She looked over to the vanity, she walked over and sat on the chair. She eyed the silly pictures of her and Exo that hung on the mirror, she looked to picture frame on the table. It was of her and Hanbyul, he was holding the 5 year old her. She turned around and walked over to the book shelf, she reached to the top shelf and then pulled out a book in the middle. She sat on her bed and opened the book to the last page, she began reading.

 

Dear future Haneul,

    

Hi, I wonder what you’re doing right now. I know it’s probably been more than 2 or 3 years if you check the date on the corner. Always remember the kind of girl you were, always happy and loving to everyone. Then remember the one that has the mask, the one who strives to be a better person and to make everyone proud and look at her like she is a mature woman. Since this is still the fluffy and girly Haneul, she has one question: How many people did you kill? I know it’s a weird question but I just had to ask.

Also are you still going to ignore oppas, they love you and treat you like a princess. Don’t forget what they have done for you, you grew up with them and when Hanbyul oppa wasn’t there to help and protect you. Even if they are not brothers by blood, they are still brothers by heart. Please do look after them, like they have done to you.

    Lastly future Haneul, I want you to know that no matter if you’re a girl. You are still the hope and pride of the Choi family, you were born for a reason. Don’t let anyone’s negative words get to you. You will carry the Choi family as best as you can, I know you can do it.

 

Love the past Haneul


 

Haneul looked up from the notebook teary eyed but she wiped it away, placing the book back on the shelf. Once she walked out from the room, she saw Tao at the end of the hall. He looked up at her, she saw the happiness in his eyes.

“I came to get you, we’re having breakfast now.” Tao chimed.

Haneul nodded and then walked behind him, Tao kept his eyes on her. He noticed that she looked down while she walked, he slowly held her hand. Haneul looked up at him, Tao smiled and continued walking. Once they reached downstairs and turned the corner to the dining room. She saw that everyone was sitting and all their eyes were on her, Kris stood up and came to her side. He guided her to the seat next to him, she sat down. The maids served them breakfast, one maid placed the bowl of rice on the table and then she placed another plate with eggs, fried shrimps, and stir fried bean sprouts. Then a bowl of seaweed soup, Haneul looked up and around to their plates. They always had an american style breakfast, the it hit her. It was like how they always had breakfast before she changed, before she was this new person. They watched her, she looked down at her food. She grabbed her spoon, scooping a bit of rice and placing it in . Then they began eating, Kris took glimpse of her here and there and he always smiled at her. Then he reached his hand and ruffled her hair, she continued eating. The rest of Exo watched her, they felt relieved and happy that she was slowly changing. Even if she was a bit slow, at least she would become their old Haneul.

 

Once breakfast was over, Kris dropped Haneul off at her mansion. Haneul got out and ran inside, without even bidding him goodbye. She walked to her room, along the way she ran into her grandpa. He turned and she knew to follow him, they arrived in his studies room. He sat down behind the desk, Haneul sat down in front of the desk.

“Kris called and told me that you were staying over and that he will send you back home today.” Gramps said.

“Yes.” Haneul nodded.

“It’s good that you’re starting to…”

“I’m not going back to them, it was only by accident yesterday.” Haneul said.

“Haneul…”

“They will make me weak and I don’t need that right now or in the future. I do miss them but they have to learn to live without me like how I am now.” Haneul said.

“They don’t make..”

“You don’t understand, you’re the one giving orders and I’m not willing to see them. Not right now, breakfast was quite and I know that they were waiting for me to talk. I won’t let them see the other me, not now or ever again.” Haneul said.

“You’re marrying Kris, he..”

“Gramps, what do you even see in him.” Haneul sighed.

“He will take over and you will return to being the good daughter you were.” Gramps said.

“The reason I changed was to prove to you that I am capable in doing this work, I can't let this family line…”

“You’re not a son, you can’t continue the life of heirs.” Gramps said.

“I know but at least let me help to the best of my..”

“Haneul, listen. You’re marriage with Kris has been arranged before you were even married, you’re going to be his wife one day.” Gramps said.

“Why, why did it have to be me? I didn’t ask for it.” Haneul said.

“I know but it is something that has been promised, we can’t go back on our words.” Gramps said.

“Gramps, why can’t..”

“If this marriage doesn't happen then..”

“Why, why?” Haneul said.

“Listen..”

“No, if only Hanbyul was the one who survived. I wouldn’t have to live like this, suffering everyday in your sight. I can’t do anything that will make you happy, why didn’t I just die.” Haneul said.

Her grandpa looked at her with pity, he knew that she was hurt and wished everyday in her life that she was in Hanbyul's place but she was the one who survived. He felt bad, he tried to shower her with love but she was stubborn and wanted to make him happy instead.

“Haneul…”

“I’m sorry, there is no point when this is going to go nowhere. I’ll be in my room.” Haneul said.

He watched as Haneul him and walked out of the room, he looked to the picture on his desk. He grabbed the picture and ran his finger over the figures on the frame, slowly taking in the past memories. The smiles that were forever frozen and time that stopped, then the hard memories hit him and he placed the picture back down.

“She is tough just like you, Hanbyul.” He said.

Then his eyes moved over to the next picture, which was only him and the 12 year old Haneul. She was sitting his lap and pinching his cheeks, he smiled back at her and held her hands. His mouth formed a straight line, he didn’t want to cry.

“What am I supposed to do, there is nothing that can make this any situation any better.” He said.

 

It's been weeks since the marriage meeting, the Wu’s have been coming over everyday for dinner. Haneul had to have dinner with them, her grandpa would not let her do her meetings or finding and tracking people down. She had been wearing dresses around the house when they come, today she was in a sky blue dress. It came a little bit above her knees, the top was strapless and in a sweet heart line. It had crystals sewed in on top, her dress was puffy and to top it off was her gray heels with crystals on the tip of the shoe. Her hair was curled and small strands pulled back and clipped behind her head, her makeup enhanced her features. She stood by the front doors again, next to her grandpa. They watched as the two cars drove up to their mansion, she swore her feet were killing her. The butler opened the first car door, Mr. and Mrs. Wu got out and walked up to them.

“Remember what we talked about.” Gramps said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter