Chapter 39

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Haneul watched from the steps as the ambulance that held Gramp’s body drove away. Lay’s arm wrapped around her shoulder as he rocked her back and forth gently. Haneul laid her head in his chest and her tears continued to fall.

“It’s going to be alright.” Lay said.

“He’s really gone.” Haneul said.

“We’ll find Jaeseok and get back at him.” Lay said.

“I don’t want to do that anymore. I want to resolve this problem.” Haneul said.

“Do you really think he will stop?” Lay asked.

“No but there’s always hope. He got what he wanted.” Haneul said.

“Do you want to go inside or stay here?” Lay asked.

“Let’s go inside, see if there is anything out of place.” Haneul said.

“If anything scares you, we’re leaving right away.” Lay said.

“I can stomach this.” Haneul said.

“Then why did you wait for them to take Gramps away first?” Lay asked.

“I didn’t want to remember him like that.” Haneul said.

“Alright. Let’s go in.” Lay said.

Lay held Haneul’s hand and he could feel her shaking a bit. He knew she was sacred but she was trying to make it seem like she was fine. Haneul took the first step through the door and took a deep breath trying to calm herself down. Even at the entrance the place was trashed, everything was on the floor from broken vases to ripped books even the sofa was not spared. It seemed like Jaeseok was desperately looking for something but Haneul knew he had not found it. If he did find what he was looking for, he would have never left the house in this state. Jae quickly came to her side while limping the whole way and bowed down to the floor in front of her.

“I'm sorry that I couldn’t protect Gramps. I’m not asking for forgiveness.” Jae said.

Haneul noticed that there were bandages around Jae’s leg, she reached out to him and pulled him up. Haneul looked at him, he looked like he was in a lot of pain but he was still walking on his injured leg.

“No one could have predicted this. We were ambushed.” Haneul said.

Jae nodded his head as Haneul wrapped an arm around his waist. She was worried for him, he could have died too. Jae was taken back by her action and wrapped his arm around her.

“At least you are safe now.” Haneul said.

“We’re going to need to put more men around you.” Jae said.

“If he wanted me dead, he would have targeted me first.” Haneul said.

Hanuel pulled away and turned back to the mess around them, Jae noticed and informed her of what had happened.

“I’ve had all the men check the surroundings and nothing is out of place from the cameras either. We checked all the camera’s and saw that they were looking for something. Nothing was taken away either. The only place without a camera is Gramp’s room and office. We have those cameras turned off since a few months back due to the request of Gramps.

“Why would he turn them off?” Haneul asked.

“If I remember correctly, when I began to work at the residence and it was my second week here that’s when Gramps requested the cameras to be turned off. It was a few weeks after you came back.” Jae said.

“Well go to the study first and then we can go to his room after the maids cleaned up the blood.” Haneul said.

Haneul grabbed Lay by the hand and pulled him along after her. Jae walked slowly after them, he really needed to help them even if the pain was starting to be unbearable. Hanuel arrived at the study and when she walked through the open door, the room was also trashed. It’s like Jaesoek did it to just mess with her mind. Haneul saw that there were men organizing the room. Haneul let go of Lay’s hand and walked towards the desk to talk to the man at the desk.

“Any projects or files missing? Haneul asked.

“Nothing is gone, even the blueprints for the new building are here too.” He said.

Haneul grabbed the blueprint and looked at it. It still looked the same as it did a few days ago on her desk. All the secret paths and compartments still marked onto the blueprint. All it needed was a signature from Gramps and the new building would be done in a few months. 

“Not possible.” Haneul said.

Haneul placed the blueprint back into the stack of papers and turned to face Jae. She was confused, if Jaeseok wanted to get back at them he would have taken everything and kept them hidden.

“What does he want?” Haneul asked.

“I think it’s better for them to clean up and we can return back after we get some sleep.” Lay said.

“I don’t want to go home yet.” Haneul said.

“I think Lay is right, the mansion is trashed. We would need at least a day to clean this mess up then we can sort through things and see if anything is missing.” Jae said.

Haneul nodded her head and went to Jae, she held his hand and looked at him.

“Get the injured men to rest up, along with yourself too. Get however many hands you can get to clean this mess up.” Haneul said.

Jae wrapped his arm around her shoulder and nodded his head. Haneul turned to face Lay and she reached out a hand to him.

“Let’s go home for now.” Haneul said.

Lay took her hand and she walked out of the room but then she remembered something and turned to look at the bookcase along the wall. She would have to come back when there was no one eles besides her. Haneul waved to Jae who waved back to her with a smile. She stepped out into the hallway and as she made her way down the hall she had a massive headache. Her vision blurred as she continued to walk behind Lay as he held her hand. She felt nauseous and saw the walls begin to move. She could feel her body getting weaker by the second. 

“Lay.” Haneul said.

“What?” Lay asked.

Lay felt haneul let go of his hand and he quickly turned around to see Haneul fall down to the ground face forward. She hit her head on the ground and Lay scooped her up into his arms. On the side of Haneul’s temple, blood dripped down her face.

“Help! Haneul fainted!” Lay yelled.

A few people down the hall came out of the room and came running towards them. Lay tried shaking her but it was no use. 

“Someone call an ambulance! She is not responding!” Lay yelled.

One man radioed the front desk for an ambulance, while the other felt her pulse and looked up at Lay.

“She has a pulse and the ambulance shall be here in three minutes. We need to get down to the front door.” He said.

Lay tried to carry Haneul but he was shaking so bad since he was scared. The man grabbed Haneul and pulled her up into his chest. Lay got up and followed him to the front entrance by the time they made it down, they could hear the ambulance getting closer. Lay looked at Haneul and the blood was still dripping down her face. Some of the blood had stained his shirt and the man who was carrying Haneul too. Lay was shaking because he worried so much about Haneul. He imagined the pain she was suffering from. The ambulance arrived by the steps and they walked down and put Haneul on the stretcher. Lay climbed into the ambulance and they closed the door. He watched as the paramedic placed an oxygen mask over her face and took her pulse. The paramedic would ask Lay questions and he would answer him. Before he knew it they had arrived at the hospital. They took Haneul to the emergency room while Lay sat outside, he leaned his head against the wall and prayed for everything to be alright. His head was hurting like someone was hitting him in the back of the head. He tried to meditate the pain away but it was no use. He sat in silence for about twenty minutes before he heard people running towards him and lifted his head up. He saw his brothers running towards him and he sighed in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter