Chapter 38

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jae helped Gramps onto the bed and lifted the blanket to cover him. Gramps moved his body into a comfortable position. Jae rolled the wheelchair to the side before returning back to the bed.

“Would you like me to get another blanket?” Jae asked.

“No, this is good.” Gramps said.

“Alright then. Have a good night sir.” Jae said.

Jae bowed to Gramps as he was leaving the bedroom. Gramps called out to him before he could leave the room.

“Wait.” Gramps said.

“Yes?” Jae asked.

“Would you mind coming back up later in the night with a glass of hot milk when I wake up.” Gramps said.

“I will get it right away. Would you like a warm piece of bread too?” Jae asked.

“No bread, just milk.” Gramps said.

“I’ll be back.” Jae said.

Jae closed the door behind him and Gramps turned to the dark side of the room by the window.

“Come out.” Gramps said.

The mysterious figure stepped out and walked to the door. Gramps watched as he locked the door before returning to pull a chair up to the bed.

“Jaeseok, how long did you wait?” Gramps asked.

“I would of prefered a bottle of scotch instead of milk.” Jaesoek said.

“What are you doing here?” Gramps asked.

“I came to get answers.” Jaesoek said.

“I told you, I dropped him off at an orphanage and he got adopted abroad.” Gramps said.

“I don’t think so, I’ve checked every single orphanage and there were no matches. He couldn’t have left the country.” Jaesoek said.

“I already told you what I know.” Gramps said.

“You’re lying.” Jaesoek said.

“What do you want me to say so you will believe me?” Gramps said.

“Did you kill my son like you killed my wife?” Jaeseok asked.

“I would never harm a child.” Gramps said.

“So you admit to killing my wife then.” Jaeseok said.

“I never killed her, she took her own life.” Gramps said.

Jaeseok nodded his head but looked up at Gramps with tears in his eyes. Gramps sat up from the bed and faced Jaeseok.

“You and I both know that’s not true.” Jaesoek said.

“Believe what you want too.” Gramps said.

“What are you hiding from me? I knew 10 years ago something got out of control and you had to shut people’s mouths. My wife and son were silenced because of that and I want answers.” Jaesoek said.

“There is nothing more to it. Your wife comitted suicide and I saved the baby. I sent the baby to the orphanage because you were dead.” Gramps said.

“I told you that I was in prison. I escaped and was able to come back.” Jaesoek said.

“I don’t care, that problem is over now.” Gramps said.

“Well it’s not for me.” Jaesoek said.

There was a loud banging on the door and then a few gun shots followed. Jaeseok got up and walked to unlock the door. A masked man in black bowed to Jaeseok and handed him a gun.

“Sir we have about five minutes to get out before more men start arriving.” He said.

“I’ll finish this and meet you outside.” Jaesoek said.

“Yes sir.” He said.

The masked man left and Jaeseok returned to the bed. He pushed Gramps down onto the bed and held him down by the neck.

“Last chance, where is my son?” Jaesoek asked.

“I told you, I don’t know.” Gramps said.

Jaeseok placed the gun over Gramps heart, he looked into Gramps eyes. Gramps didn’t seem fazed at all but stared back at Jaeseok.

“Spare Haneul, she doesn't know about this.” Gramps said.

“Anyone who has your blood should not be spared. You didn’t even spare my family, why should I spare yours.” Jaeseok said.

“For old times sake, when I took you in. I trained you and raised you like my own.” Gramps said.

“I didn’t ask to be part of your family.” Jaesok said.

“You were like my own son.” Gramps said.

“You used me to make your own son stronger. You used me to be his rival. Your son used to tell me how much you would compare us. You’d made me seem stronger than him, challenge his every decision. I was nothing but a tool.” Jaesok said.

“You were my son, I gave you everything like I did to my real son but you wanted to know more and do more.” Gramps said.

“I told you that we could do more right than wrong.” Jaesoek said.

“Look at yourself right now. You’re doing the same thing back to me. You’re just like me.” Gramps said.

“I’m nothing like you. I never beat around the bush for answers. I learned that if you want answers, you make the answers.” Jaesoek said.

Gramps chuckled at what Jaesoek said, he was right. You make your own answers and he knew in that moment that he was wrong no matter how much he wanted to be right.

“I know you won’t forgive me for the horrible things I’ve done but I still love you like you’re my own flesh and blood. I remember when you first came here, you were shy and quiet. A few weeks later after training you were confident and let no one push you around.” Gramps said.

“What does that have to do with this situation. That’s water under the bridge now.” Jaesoek said.

“Promise me that you will spare Haneul.” Gramps said.

“How can I when you raised her to kill me.” Jaesoek said.

“She is the only one who would be hurt in the end.” Gramps said.

“Well protect her when you become a ghost.” Jaesoek said.

Jaeseok pulled the trigger and watched as Gramps’ body shivered before he stopped moving. His eyes opened, looking up at Jaeseok who turned away. Jaesoek was greeted by the same man from earlier who took the gun and placed it back into his holder.

“Did you find anything useful?” Jaeseok asked.

“Nothing.” He said.

“Then it’s not here.” Jaeseok said.

“The car is ready to leave when you are sir.” He said.

“Let’s leave now. I don’t want to stay here any longer, this place only brings back good memories that lead to bad memories.” Jaeseok chuckled.

The man bowed and as they turned to the corner, Jae and two men were with him. They held their guns up Jaesuk who smiled.

“Well we got caught.” Jaeseok said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter