Chapter 4

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another day, a maid came and woke Haneul up from her sleep. She sat up and looked over to her alarm clock, it was 7 in the morning. She got up and walked after the maid, she had baggy clothes on. She sat down at the breakfast table like every morning, she waited for breakfast patiently. This time the food was not served but her grandpa came to the table which is odd since he doesn’t wake up until 9am.

“Haneul.” He said.

“Are you joining me for breakfast today?” Haneul asked.

“No, we’re not having breakfast. We’re having a meeting in my studies room, please follow me.” He said.

Haneul let out a sigh, she stood up and walked after him. She sat down across from him, he sat down and pulled out a file. He placed it infront of her, she grabbed the folder and opened it. She quickly scanned the papers and then looked up at her grandpa, he gave her a look.

“I’m having a meeting today with Jackals over that, I need your opinion on it.” He asked.

“Jackals are willing to give us their power if we let them stay on the other side of the river, but on the other side is our port and that’s weird. If they are in that land, they can eventually overthrow us.” Haneul said.

“I know, I had to let you know. I don’t know what they want but we can’t let them get that land.” Gramps said.

“I’ll talk to Kibum about it, he will understand.” Haneul said.

“You know him.” Gramps questioned.

“Yes, we went to school together. We get along well.” Haneul said.

“No feelings.” Gramps said.

“Feelings, as in like him.” Haneul said.

She looked at her gramps and then she let it out.

“Gramps, if I don’t marry Kris. What will happen?” She asked.

He stared at her for a long time and then he answered.

“I don’t want to think of that but if that time does come, I might even disown you.” He said.

“Gramps, please give me a chance. I wanted to do this since I lost them, I want to prove that I can be a leader…”

“Haneul stop it, I don’t want you to risk your life. I lost your parents and even Hanbyul, you know how devastated I would be if I lost you.” He said.

“I know but I know what I am capable of, you know that too. I can…”

“Stop, get dressed. Kris is going to be here soon.” He said.

“Gramps..”

“Please leave and go change, we don’t want Kris to know how you look like in the mornings.” He said.

“I…”

“Fine, I’ll leave then if you won’t leave.” He said.

He stood up and walked out the door, Haneul leaned back in the chair and sighed.

“This always ends with me not having a say in the end.’ Haneul said.

Haneul stood by the stairs as she waited for Kris to pick her up, she sighed. Her heels were killing her, she wore heels that were three inches high. Today she had on a short white dress that revealed her nice legs with a black cardigan over it. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun, there was a bowtie clipped by the bun. She held on to the straps of her black bag, she waited for Kris to show up.

“What am I doing, I’m just drowning myself deeper.” Haneul sighed.

She walked back and forth until she heard a car horn, she turned and saw Kris’ car driving down the driveway.

“Time to act again.” She sighed.

As Kris’ car pulled up next to the steps, Haneul walked down and bowed to him. Kris leaned over and pushed the car door open, Haneul looked at him weirdly.

“Just get in, we’re in a rush. We have to get there fast.” Kris said.

Haneul nodded and got in, she fixed her dress so it covered her thighs. She placed her bag in her lap, she pulled the seat belt over her and buckled it. Kris looked at her, then he smiled and drove off. Haneul looked out the window, she thought about the meeting that was happening today. Her grandpa had left early this morning to the meeting with Jackals and the new territories, she let out a sigh. She was worried about her grandpa, he was getting old and sick. Just then Kris lifted one hand from the wheel and placed it on her hand, Haneul looked up at him.

“I know you’re worried.” Kris said.

“I’m just afraid.” Haneul said.

“He’ll be fine, relax. His men are by his side, think about us. We’re getting married in a week.” Kris said.

“In a week!” Haneul yelled.

Kris took a quick glimpse of her before turning back to the front, he let out a chuckle.

“For the first time, I feel like I got my Haneul back.” Kris smiled.

“Wait, I thought it would be in a month.” Haneul said.

“No, mom probably didn’t tell you yet. She has everything planned for next week saturday.” Kris said.

“Today is friday, that means I have only one week….”

“Don’t say it like that, you make it seem like I’m the one forcing you. Weren’t you the one who agreed to marry me.” Kris said.

“I know but…”

“Don’t think about it too much, let’s try and enjoy our date today.” Kris said.

“Where are we going?” Haneul asked.

Just then Kris parked the car in front of a shop, he pointed to her window. Haneul turned around and her eyes would of popped out from her sockets.

“It’s wedding dress time.” Kris chuckled.

Haneul turned back to him, she looked him in the eye.

“You said we’re having lunch.” Haneul said.

“I know but mom requested this last moment and then a family dinner afterwards. Did you eat already?” Kris asked.

“I…”

Just then the shop door opened, Mrs. Wu wave to them from the door. Haneul saw Mr. Wu sent a smile, she looked at Kris.

“I ate already.” Haneul said.

Even though her grandpa wouldn't let the maids feed her before Kris came to pick her up. Haneul opened the door and once her feet came into contact with the cement, she swore her feet already hurts. She tried to stand and almost fell but Kris was at her side and caught her, he gave her a smile.

“Be more careful, I don’t want you to injure yourself before the wedding.” Kris smiled.

Haneul nodded and Kris held his hand out to her, she looked at it.

“Hold my hand, what if you fall.” He said.

Haneul mentally sighed and reached her hand out to him, Kris swore he died inside when she held his hand. Her small hands in his, they fit so perfectly like they were meant to be. As they got near to the front door of the shop, Mrs. Wu waited by the door.

“Haneul, come in hurry. There is so many dresses, you can choose which one you like.” Mrs. Wu said.

“Yes.” Haneul replied.

Kris opened the door for her, Haneul walked in behind Mrs. Wu and they went right to the dressing room. Mr. Wu was sitting on the couch in front of the mirrors, he was reading the newspaper. Kris sat down by his dad, who looked over to him.

“How does it feel?” He asked.

“I don’t know, something feels odd but then again I’m happy.” Kris said.

“I remember when I married your mom, it was just like this. Seeing her step out of the dressing room with the perfect dress.” He said.

“How do you know it’s the perfect dress?” Kris asked.

“You will just know it.” He chuckled.

“I just…”

The assistant stepped out with Mrs. Wu and bowed to them.

“Please come out.” She said.

Kris looked up to the giant mirrors, seeing the door on the right open. Haneul walked out slowly, her dress was lacely and it covered her arms. It flowed elegantly as she walked, she kept her gaze on the ground. Kris was amazed, he felt like time stopped. Haneul was asked to stand on the podium in the center, once she turned her back to face them. Kris’ jaw dropped and he felt hot.

“Best thing about this dress is the low cut back, it shows off a very y side. The front maybe more covered but the back reveals skin.” The assistant said.

Kris looked away from her back to the assistant, who nodded at him.

“Can you get a dress that is less revealing, I want it to cover everything.” Kris said.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter