Chapter 44

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry for the long wait.

College started again for me.

I have been busy these last few months also.

I'm probably going to update again.

Xavier looked down at the food on the tray, there were too many vegetables. A couple pieces of chicken in the salad. A bowl of rice and soup that looked water down. Xavier knocked on the door and there was no response so he opened the door. The only source of light he saw was the desk lamp that only lit up Haneul’s face. He saw Haneul with her head down on her desk.

“Haneul?” Xavier said.

She could barely lift her head to look at him. Xavier looked at her eye bags, they were getting darker and who knows when was the last time she combed her hair. It looked like she hasn’t gotten a goodnight sleep in a long time. The overflowing papers on her desk, multiple food trays and packages on the ground, and the air was so humid. Xavier set down the tray of food he brought on the desk. He went to the windows and opened them. 

“Leave them closed.” Haneul said.

“You can’t just stay in your room all day.” Xavier said.

“I like it hot in here.” Haneul said.

“That's not going to be good for you.” Xavier said.

Haneul laid her head back down on the desk and Xavier walked over to her. He grabbed her arm and slowly pulled her up. Haneul leaned her back on the chair while Xavier slid the tray of food over to her. Haneul looked up at Xavier and shook her head.

“I want burgers and fries.” Haneul said.

“Now I understand why they give you your meals like this. You’ve been eating junk food the last few weeks.” Xavier said.

“So?” Haneul said.

“Why are you being so annoying?” Xavier asked.

“No I’m not.” Haneul said.

“Did something happen?” Xavier asked.

“Nothing.” Haneul said.

“You’re lying.” Xavier said.

“There’s nothing wrong.” Haneul said.

Xavier noticed the tear that fell from her eye. He used his hand to wipe it but Haneul pushed him away. Xavier tried to grab onto something to stop his fall but he only pulled the stacks of paper down with him. Haneul sat down in her chair and covered her face. Xavier knew she was crying but he wasn’t going to sugar coat anything. Xavier crawled towards her and laid his head in her lap. 

“Hey, it’s okay.” Xavier said.

Haneul shook her head and Xavier got up wrapping his arms around her. He hated it when Haneul was like this. Xavier waited a few minutes but Haneul didn’t answer him so he pulled her up over his shoulder. Haneul didn’t move or struggle as Xavier carried her down to her room. Xavier threw her down on the bed and Haneul laid on her back with her arm covering her eyes. 

“Go away.” Haneul said.

“You know that’s not going to happen.” Xavier said.

“Please just…”

Xavier sat down next to her and pulled her up. He removed her hands and looked her in the eyes. Haneul’s eyes were red and puffy, more tears fell from her eyes. Xavier crossed his arms and glared at her.

“You need to stop acting like this.” Xavier said.

Haneul cried and used her hands to cover her face, Xavier removed her hands.

“What’s bothering you? I don’t think it’s Jaeseok or Hanbyul…”

Then it hit Xavier, it was definitely Kris because she would never be this sad with others.

“What’s wrong with you and Kris?” Xavier asked.

Haneul grabbed her pillow and laid down on her side. She didn’t utter a word and Xavier was not having it.

“Haneul, I know there's a lot going on right now but you have to let me know what’s going on. Don’t keep it bottled up because you're going to blow up. You know what happens when you blow up.” Xavier said.

Xavier watched as Haneul cried for the next couple of minutes as he sat there with his arms still crossed. This reminded him of the time when Kris started to date Soojin. Haneul would always barge in on their dates and try to ruin things but it was always Haneul who got angry and lost it in the end. She would always beat herself up and Xavier got tired of her complaining so he treated her harshly because he knew she didn’t want him to comfort her. Telling her the truth was what she always wanted. A few minutes later Haneul stopped crying and sat up, she grabbed onto Xavier’s hand. 

“What is it?” Xavier asked.

“I’m sorry.” Haneul said.

“What happened?” Xavier asked.

Haneul fiddled with her fingers and Xavier grabbed her by the chin. He looked into her eyes and glared at her.

“Are you going to answer or keep playing with your fingers? Xavier asked

“Soojin…” Haneul said.

“Don’t say it, I feel like I already know.” Xavier said.

“She came back into the picture, she wants to be with Kris again.” Haneul said.

“And that’s why you’re sad?” Xavier said.

Xavier laughed and hit Haneul on the shoulder. He knew that Kris would never leave Haneul because Xavier knew Kris was a fool for her.

“Not the only reason, there’s more.” Haneul said.

Haneul wrapped her arms around Xavier and leaned her head on his chest. Xavier wrapped his arms around her and patted the back of her head gently.

“What eles?” Xavier asked.

“She wants to reconnect with Kris and Huan, she wants them to be a family.” Haneul said.

Xavier looked down at her, is this the same Soojin who was scared of Haneul. He also knew Soojin was not one to back down easily. If she wanted something she would try anyway to get it.

“Did you tell her to back away?” Xavier asked.

“This sounds dumb of me but I told her that I would let him go.” Haneul said.

Xavier grabbed Haneul by her shoulder and shook her a bit. Xavier let her go and he laughed like crazy.

“You would never let Kris go, even if you died and reincarnated you would only remember him.” Xavier said.

Xavier watched as Haneul cried again and he crossed his arms. Haneul hit him in the stomach and he yelled out in pain as he fell onto the bed.

“I’ve decided this time to let him go.” Haneul said.

Xavier looked up at Haneul who looked determined but he couldn’t help laugh.

“You said that how many times already? You’re still going to crawl back and ask him again.” Xavier said.

“I’ve really decided to let him go. There were too many bad memories and our relationship was too toxic. We can never be together, there is just too much happening.” Haneul said.

Xavier clapped his hands and then he crossed his arms.

“It took you how long to finally realize this?” Xavier asked.

“It took more than 10 years to realize that loving him was only causing me pain. I may be weak right now but one day I will forget him and hopefully he will forget me.” Haneul said.

“Are you being serious right now?” Xavier asked.

“It’s been two weeks since I last saw him and even if I’m crying to myself. I will be alright, the world doesn’t end. I’ll still have to get up and get ready for work the next day. There’s always going to be a next day.” Haneul said.

Xavier pulled her into his arms and patted her back. He felt sorry for judging her but this time it seemed like she was really going to let him go.

“As your best friend, I am proud of you. I’ve always told you that he was not the one.” Xavier said.

Haneul nodded her head but she could help let out a few tears. Xavier wiped them away and held her in his arms. 

“It will hurt now but later you will feel much happier.” Xavier said.

“Thank you for always being there for me.” Haneul said.

“I will always be there for you. It’s a promise we made.” Xavier said.

“I promise you that I will get over this.” Haneul said.

“I know you will.” Xavier said.

Haneul took a bite of her noodles and then she saw Kris standing at her office door with a white box. Haneul rubbed her eyes and looked back at the glass wall. Kris was still standing there and she felt a bit hurt. It’s been three weeks since they talked and she was glad that she only thought of him a few times. She cried a couple times but then she was starting to feel better. They made eye contact for a few seconds before Haneul turned away from him, her heart was beating fast and she hated that. He stared at her for a few seconds and left a small box in front of her door. Haneul waite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter