Chapter 43

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin looked at Haneul who was drinking her tea. It’s been five minutes and no one has said or done anything besides Haneul’s secretary who brought her a cup of tea. Haneul placed her emptied tea cup down on the table after chugging it piping hot down. She turned to look at Soojin who was still not looking at her.

“What brings you here after who knows how many years?” Haneul asked.

Soojin tightened her hand around her bag. Haneul instinctively got ready to move if she struck with her purse. Instead Soojin quickly looked up at Haneul, her eyes and nose were both red.

“I was wrong!” Soojin shouted.

Haneul nodded her head and then crossed her arms. Soojin turned her whole body to face Haneul. She didn’t want to seem weak like she always was.

“I was wrong. I shouldn’t have left.” Soojin said.

“You were wrong because the man you married didn’t have enough money to keep you long around or I regret leaving my child and I want him back?” Haneul asked.

Soojin lowered her head again, she played with the strings of her bag. Haneul rubbed her temple, she knew Soojin would say the first.

“My husband is dead.” Soojin said.

Haneul looked up at her in surprise, she wondered what happened to her husband.

“My husband died a few months ago from cancer. He wanted me to come back and find my son. I spent two to three months thinking if I wanted to return to South Korea. I arrived a week ago and I’ve been here since.” Soojin said.

“You’re here for Huan then?” Haneul asked.

“Yes, partially.” Soojin said.

“What is the other reason?” Haneul asked.

Haneul watched as Soojin took in deep breaths of air to calm herself down. Haneul couldn’t breath because she was afraid of what Soojin was going to say next. Soojin got up and got on her knees, she looked up at Haneul.

“The reason I’m here today is… I want my family back.” Soojin said.

Haneul felt like her heart stopped beating and time began to freeze after what she said. Haneul tried to process the thought but everything was blank. 

“Haneul?” Soojin said.

Haneul turned back to Soojin who was still on her knees begging her. Haneul helped her up and sat her down on the seat. Soojin was taken back by the kind gesture. It made her feel like Haneul did change after all these years. If it was like back then Haneul would of hurted her or broken her arm or worse try to kill her.

“Why after all these years? Don’t you think it’s a little too late?” Haneul asked.

Soojin shook her head and turned to face Haneul who was still a bit blank.

“Nothing is ever too late. I didn’t want to regret this for the rest of my life.” Soojin said.

“I don’t know what to say. You coming here out of the blue and wanting Kris and Huan back…”

“I’m asking for your permission.” Soojin said.

“You know that’s not something for me to decide. It's for Kris and Huan to decide.” Haneul said.

“I know that you and Kris are currently together. I just want to know if you’re alright with me seeing them.” Soojin asked. 

“We’re just on talking terms after a problem we had but I’m fine with you seeing them.” Haneul said.

“So are you letting me take them back.” Soojin asked.

There were so many things going on in her head. She was in the middle of another problem and here Soojin was. She wondered if she did really own Kris’ heart. Would letting them go make her happy or sad. She didn’t know what to do anymore, it’s like the walls were closing in and she had to think fast. Haneul took a deep breath before answering her.

“I think you have to talk to Kris first.” Haneul said.

Soojin held onto Haneul’s hand, she could feel how excited Soojin was. Haneul hated the idea of Soojin coming back into their lives after what happened back then. It’s not like she could stop fate from pulling these kinds of things on her.

“I know how much you and Kris loved one another but Kris’ won’t forgive you for abandoning Huan. Nothing to him right now is more important than Huan.” Haneul said.

“I will keep that in mind.” Soojin said.

“Why did you leave in the first place?” Haneul asked.

“I fell in love with my deceased husband when Kris and I were in a really toxic relationship. He would take me out and we’d just talk all the time. When I was with him, he was like my protector. I knew that he was the one after Kris and I broke up. He was the one who convinced me to keep Huan but I refused at the time since Kris and I were broken up because of you. I didn’t want him to have a good life with you so I left Huan behind. It’s mean of me to do that but at the time I thought if I left he would come find me. Instead the years went by as I waited and waited. I came to really love my husband but when the good times were getting too good, disaster stuck and he got cancer.” Soojin said.

“I’m sorry for your loss. I’m also sorry for causing you and Kris to come to an end. It’s not like I could stop our arranged marriage even if I wanted too.” Haneul said.

“You know what it’s like to love Kris. He gives you this feeling that you’re the only girl who will ever make him happy. He might be a jerk and mean but deep inside he is kind, gentle and does what he can. You know how when you love someone so deep you forget to see the bad signs. I thought that he was always going to be mine but then there was you. A young girl who was head over heels for him. There was no way to stop you from loving him and I couldn’t stop loving him either. We were stuck in an endless cycle that no one could see the ending. Kris is the only thing I have left in this world and I want to do everything to make him happy.” Soojin said.

Soojin began to cry while Haneul looked at her. Everything she said was right, Kris was that kind of man but he messed up. He couldn’t decide who he wanted to love and pulled them into this web of lies that kept hurting everyone. Haneul didn’t know if Kris still loved Soojin. They were together for so long and they even have a child together. If they didn’t end their relationship then they would be a family right now and maybe with another child on the way. Their future didn’t include haneul and she knew that it was time to let him go but could she really let go of him for once and all.

“I know how much you love Kris too but think about our family. I’m not trying to guilt trap you but everything just falls into place. I know that it’s too much to ask but can you please let me meet them again. I want to have my family back, I want to be Huan’s mom and Kris’ wife.” Soojin said.

Haneul realized that she was always going to be the other woman who ruined their relationship. She was going to be the one who separated their family. She also realized that she was never able to make their small family whole. It always felt like it was missing something or it was too empty. Haneul realized that she was not the one who could do this but Soojin could. Haneul was just too out of place and nothing ever felt like it was right to her.

“You’re right. Nothing ever felt right when I was Huan’s mom. We may have the times we enjoyed together but there were many missing things. Things I couldn’t give and I was also not someone who could always be there for them.” Hanel said.

“I know it’s hard but you have to stop yourself from loving Kris. You were just a bystander who got involved. It’s not too late to turn things around. It’s better now than never.” Soojin said.

Haneul nodded her head and Soojin placed a hand on Haneul’s shoulder.

“I knew you would understand. I’m happy that we talked it out instead of fighting like we always did.” Soojin said.

“Thank you for making me realize this.” Haneul said.

Soojin was taken back and she wrapped her arms around Haneul. She rubbed Haneul’s back and cried.

“No, thank you for letting me have my family back.” Soojin said.

Haneul looked at their reflection on the glass window and she felt this scene was too far from what she imagined. She had just given Kris back to Soojin along with Huan. She thought they were better off without her. She was only going to hurt them in the end. Haneul promised herself to never interfere in their business again because she was only a bystander.

Sooji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter