Chapter 32

The Mafia's Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Then they both lived happily ever after,” Haneul said.

Haneul closed the book and turned to look at Huan. She saw him sleeping on his belly on top of his comforter with his hands under his head. She shook her head and stood up to put the book back on the shelf. Haneul returned to him and lifted him up, noticing that he had weighed a bit more in the past few months. Haneul smiled to herself and lift the corner of the comforter up with her other hand. She laid him down and placed a kiss on his forehead. She pulled the blanket over him and tucked him in. She placed the stuff animals around him and patted his head. Haneul walked to the door and stared at him from there. He slept so peacefully and her heart ached for him. Huan was a soft spot for her now and sooner or later he was going to be a target. It’s been a week since Kangjun left but it felt like only yesterday. Haneul hated how he always got in her brain and messed it up.

 

Kangjun watched as Kris carried the sleeping Huan up to his room, he turned his head towards Haneul.

“It’s a pity about Kris and Huan,” Kangjun said.

“It’s not when you think of it from another point of view,” Haneul said.

Haneul took a sip of her juice and crossed her legs while she leaned back into the chair. Kangjun shook his head and chuckled.

“Do you love him like a real mom or are you doing it out of pity,” Kangjun asked.

“Somehow I wished I was his real mom. You know I love children.” Haneul said.

“What if danger comes to Huan. You know he’s going to be taken by Jaeseok one day.” Kangjun said.

“It’s my duty to protect him. I will never let that happen.” Haneul said.

“Kris may love you but if you hurt Huan, he’s not going to forgive you,” Kangjun said.

Haneul nodded her head while she took another sip. Kangjun leaned towards her and looked at her, trying to read her emotions.

“I know and when the time comes, I hope you’ll let me move in with you for a while,” Haneul said.

Kangjun laughed at her unexpected answer but he knew she was always unpredictable.

“You know my doors are always open along with my heart too if you decide you want it too,” Kangjun said.

“Thanks for the offer but I can only love myself because I’m selfish,” Haneul said.

“Haneul, you’re a good person but things just turned out to be the way it is now because of your choices. You’ve always hurt yourself, taken the blame for everything, and even you’ve lost yourself along the way.” Kangjun said.

“It’s better that way if only I am the only one who gets hurt,” Haneul said.

“Sometimes you need to let others get hurt too,” Kangjun said.

He took a sip of his wine and smiled, he hit her head lightly. Haneul looked at him blankly wondering why he hit her. Kris walked back outside towards them, Kangjun pinched her cheek and leaned in to whisper into her ear.

“I can’t wait to see you again,” Kangjun said.

Kangjun placed a kiss on her cheek and stood up quickly. He placed his wine glass on the table and walked towards Kris.

“Take good care of her,” Kangjun said.

Kris gave him a weird look and Kangjun waved to both of them before disappearing into the house. Kris turned his attention back to Haneul who had placed a hand on her cheek.

“Let’s get some rubbing alcohol to clean that.” Kris chuckled.

Haneul laughed along with Kris, she felt like it was how they were back in the past.

 

Haneul felt someone place a hand on her shoulder and she turned around. Chen leaned towards her ear and whispered.

“Dr. Lee’s in his office if you'd like to see him. Kris is in his office, I’ll distract him for a while.” Chen said.

“Thanks,” Haneul whispered.

Haneul closed the door behind her and walked to Dr. Lee’s office. She knocked on the door and waited for it to open. Instead, she was met with his voice telling her to come in. Haneul slips into the room and walks past the beds to the desk with boxes on the top. Dr. Lee sits in his chair while piling things into the boxes. He looks up at her with a gentle smile while Haneul takes a seat across from him.

“It’s nice to see you one last time.” Dr. Lee said.

“I hope South Africa treats you well,” Haneul said.

“I guess you could say this is the real start of me being a doctor.” Dr. Lee said.

“You’ve always been a doctor,” Haneul said.

“I know but I’ve never treated other patients besides you guys and your people.” Dr. Lee said.

“Do you really have to go?” Haneul asked.

“I feel like after losing her and finally got my revenge. I’m going to start a new life, that’s what I promised with Gramps before I came here.” Dr. Lee said.

“You’ve been here since my parents passed away,” Haneul said.

“I know and it’s hard to let go but I have to go, it’s what she would have wanted me to do.” Dr. Lee said.

“I know there is no way to make you stay but please promise me to look after yourself,” Haneul said.

“I promise you that and also I’ll be one phone call away.” Dr. Lee said.

“You know I won’t call,” Haneul said.

“Letters are fine too.” Dr. Lee chuckles.

Haneul laughs and then crosses her arms as she stares at him. Dr. Lee also crossed his arms and stared at Haneul.

“You did a great job of being a mom to Haun. He really needs you. I can’t thank you enough.” Dr. Lee said.

“I’ve just noticed how much weight he has gained. At least he is healthy now. I’m still worried about his speech.” Haneul said.

“I think he might just be a bit late in that category. You should take him to see a speech therapist.” Dr. Lee said.

“You’re right, I’ll talk to Kris about it,” Haneul said.

“When this is all over, will you still stay here or move away?” Dr. Lee asked.

“I’m not sure yet,” Haneul said.

Dr. Lee remembered something and began digging through his draw and when he found it he placed it on the table.

“Oh, I have this for yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter