Chapter 5

Veiled Exploitation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ever since leaving the agency, Shin Hye has been working at a restaurant run by an Ahjumma and her husband. They have been treating her like a daughter after hearing about her living alone but Shin Hye refused to move in to their home and instead insisted on living in the rooftop house that she had been staying all this while. The only place that she feels comfortable with and had no intention of leaving. 

Shin Hye started out as a server for the restaurant. Slowly learning the ropes and finally she was given the opportunity to help in managing the restaurant and sometimes, she helps the Ahjumma in the kitchen as well. She is a very reliable worker for the couple in their mid 50's and was willing to go the extra mild to help. It was Friday night and the restaurant was packed with people. From Friday nights onwards, the weekend nights, the restaurant will be kept busy and Shin Hye would be going around the restaurant to lend a helping hand no matter what. If the restaurant is short of server, she would be serving for the day, if the restaurant is short of cooks, she would be the one taking over and even if the restaurant is running low on the dishes, she would be carrying out the dishwashing. But it did not stop her from smiling.

She enjoyed the company that she is in and the fast pace on a day to day basis. It helps her to forget what makes her unhappy and the fast pace helps her to sleep well. Even though the owners of the restaurant paid her well, she refuse to take about ten percent of her pay and return it to the couple. For Eun Sang, it was as though she is giving the money to her parents, that she did not have. But the couple would donate it to people in need in the name of Shin Hye without her knowing. 

That night, when the restaurant was busy, Shin Hye received a call on her mobile phone. When she had left the agency and quit as she left her acting dreams behind, she had changed her mobile number and only gave her new number to certain selected people; Yang Senior and the restaurant owners. So when the call came from an unknown number;

*gggrrrrr gggrrrrr* (vibration mode)

Shin Hye was so busy that she did not even know her mobile phone was vibrating. She was busy serving people, taking orders and washing the dishes. When Shin Hye finally was able to take a break, 

Shin Hye took a quick look at who was calling her when it vibrated once again,

"Hmmmmm... unknown number..." Shin Hye murmurs to herself as she places her mobile phone back into her pocket and continued to take a short break that was badly needed after standing and moving around for hours. 

Shin Hye had not been picking up calls from unknown numbers after changing it. She is simply too lazy and became too indifferent to entertain calls from people she does not know. Opposite from how she was then. Always saying sorry and feeling bad about herself. But she does wonder whether she is putting up an act by being indifferent.

When the restaurant finally closes for the day, she helped to clean up and mopped the floor before leaving. When she was done, she said her greetings to the couple before running off to catch up for the last bus. With the years of experience Shin Hye had at chasing after buses, her time estimation and the speed of her run allowed her to get onto the last bus back home but as soon as she board the bus, there was a couple who seemed to be arguing as assumed by Shin Hye. She smiled to herself as she was able to listen to their conversation while preparing herself to settle down on her seat, even though the seat was away from the couple.

Guy: Why did you have to do wear this?

Girl: Why? Can't I even wear a dress now?

Guy: But it's too revealing. Didn't you see how the others were looking at you?

Girl: I will wear what I want to wear....

Before they continued their conversation further, Shin Hye just shook her head with a smile on her face as she plugged her ears after she settled down on the bus seat that she had chosen earlier.

 

Having a boyfriend is definitely difficult. Thank goodness I don't have one. *shudders* - Shin Hye's thoughts as she search through her music player for the perfect song to listen to after she had listened to the conversation.

She did date but as she places her work as her priority, the relationship did not last long as it became too difficult for her to keep on coaxing and made him understand about her situation. Plus, she was not willing to take the relationship to the next base of intimacy even though she cares and loves him. Shin Hye finally reached home and wash her self up quickly before lying down on her bed. She set the alarm clock for tomorrow using her mobile phone and placed it beside her.

 

The next morning...

*KKkkeeeeeerrrRRrriinng~~!!!"

As Shin Hye had tossed and turned in her sleep, the phone was right by her ears by morning. She was shocked by the sudden ring in her ear but was still half asleep and groggy, she picked up her phone without even looking at who was calling her.

"Hello? May I speak to Park Shin Hye-sshi?"

"Huh? Spea....king...." Shin Hye replied with her eyes closing again. The person on the line continued to speak but due to Shin Hye's exhaustion, she was unable to hear properly. Instead she replied;

"Ani.. I don't need any insurance... I don't wish to get any insurance... "

"Hello?? Park Shi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter