Chapter 1

Veiled Exploitation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Manager-nim, sorry I am late, there was a traffic jam and the bus did not come at the expected time." Shin Hye apologised to her Manager as soon as she arrived at the agency, in a breathless manner after she had ran from the bus stop all the way to the agency.

“Aigoo Shin Hye ah~~ Why take bus? And not the train? Do you know it’s not easy to secure this deal for you so please do not, I repeat do not ever, do that again...”

“Jeongmal mianhamnida Manager-nim…”

“Aish~~~ How are you going to explain to Yang Sajangnim if you lose this endorsement? But then again I don’t think you can answer to Yang Sajangnim though. You want to know why?"

Even if I say no, it won't make a difference. - Shin Hye's thoughts.

"Because for this month yet again, you cannot even secure another project at all. Never once you became the employee of the month.” Manager Yoon reprimanded Shin Hye who was standing in front of him with her head down and had her right hand over the other together at the front.

The scolding did not end there, “I wonder how you got signed into this big company in the first place. Did you get signed because of your connections here in the agency? Because I can see nothing special about you as compared to the other famous names signed to this company.”

Thanks a lot for that 'compliment'. I have never felt special and you have to remind me that I am not. Really thank you. - Shin Hye's thoughts.

Shin Hye is a struggling actress. She is passionate about acting and is optimistic about making it big someday but sometime on days like this, she gets sad about the constant comparison with the other artistes signed to the company. She was signed right when the company had just started; when the founder was only a retiree that wanted to try his hand in the entertainment business by setting up the entertainment company. She started with small roles as an extra and were slowly getting the minor supporting roles in the drama. Due to the good nature of the founder, as years passed, more and more artiste came in to sign with the company but unfortunately for Shin Hye, her career stopped at being selected for minor supporting roles and did not show any progress since then or even a chance of taking on a project as the lead actress.

The founder of the company finally retires fully and had successfully handed over the company to the current CEO that happens to be his son. However, his son was more concern in making profits rather than nurturing and honing the artistes skills and talent under their care thus making it more difficult for Shin Hye to shine.

“Mianhamnida Manager-nim.”

“You keep saying sorry as if sorry can make you earn money and secure deals. I wonder why Yang Sajangnim has not drop you out of the agency yet. I really don't want to lose my job because of you!”

In truth the current CEO wanted to drop Shin Hye so much from the company but due to his Father’s request, Shin Hye managed to remain in the company even as a struggling actress. However, though she may remain in the company, she is not given the star treatment and travels in a non-celebrity car. Even her manager does not treat her like an artist too. Not only he does not pick her up from her apartment, she would even have to seat at the passenger seat in front and was not allowed to seat at the back seat of the car. But Shin Hye being a kind-hearted person would keep apologising even if she was not in the wrong, making it easier for others to disrepect her and more.

That morning, Shin Hye was scheduled to shoot for a product that she would be endorsing for the year. On their way to the location, her manager would be either grumbling at her or it would be a very silent ride. But since she does not receive much offers, she does not have to meet up much with him, which she on a hindsight thankful for. So due to the nature of her relationship with her manager, no matter what, she always has her ears plugged with earphones because headphones would be too obvious at those times when the manager would be grumbling and nagging at her, and that will only further annoy her manager. 

Shin Hye finally reached the shooting location and she greeted the staff that were present but the response to her greetings were lukewarm. But still she kept a smile on her face. She was then hurried to the changing room and also to do her hair and make up. Her partner for this endo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter