Chapter 3

Veiled Exploitation
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye left the location without her manager who was still busy lobbying his services at the shooting location. She could no longer be bothered by her manager and her manager was certainly not bothered about her either as he did not stopped Shin Hye even though he saw her walking out of that location. Being away from her manager made her feeling much better, less suffocated, less frustrated but she was still feeling down and insulted by the incident that had happened earlier. She walked towards the nearest bus stop available and saw that there was a bus that would be passing by the area that she lives in. She enjoyed bus rides. Never liked taking trains thus she always made an effort to leave her house early just so she could spend some time in the bus. A single long bus ride for her is similar to how the rich would pay 300,000 Won for an hour of therapy session with a professional to experience transgression or even just 'needing someone to talk to'. 

The bus finally came and as per usual, music would accompany her on this bus ride just like it had been all her years. She enjoyed it so much because it acts as a buffer for her. It allows her to make a transition from home to work and from work to home too. Where her negative feelings would fly pass just like the sceneries that she sees through the bus's clear windows. She laid her head against the window as her music player plays the song.  

With her ears plugged, she tried to tame her heart that was bruised and battered by the verbal abuse and public shaming that she experienced earlier. Taking the opportunity of the time in her bus to heal herself. Listening to songs that reminded her to have confidence in herself and not to give up. That someday it will be her time to make it big. It was already dark by the time she finally reached at the bus stop that she was meant to alight at. She walked towards her rented house, with heavy footsteps. She was mentally exhausted for the day.

She took the keys out of the pocket compartment in her bag. Before she could even insert her key to unlock, within a day, there were flyers on the floor right in front of her door steps. Usually, she would picked it up and throw it away at the appropriate place but that night, she decided to just sweep it off to the side using her left foot. 

If I can't myself to push people away and get mad at people even if I feel I was being wronged, let me have some power for today over something so inanimate. How pathetic am I~~?  - Shin Hye's thoughts.

It was metaphoric for her. Being shoved aside by others for not being popular enough, being constantly reminded for not being pretty enough for she did not fill the requisite of being the standard beauty in the Korean culture. As soon as she entered the house, she kicked her shoes aside, still unwashed after the whole day of shooting, she sat herself in front of the mirror as she read the picture quote that she had stuck securely on the top left hand corner of the mirror with blu-tacks, to herself...

She finally shed her tears. That would be the only time she would cry. In front of the mirror. Looking at herself. Without anyone judging.

Her cries soon became louder but she switched on her music player and turned the volume up just so she could drown out her cries.

Meanwhile, Min Ho who stayed behind even after the photoshoot had ended. This was due to the female staffs who were excited to be talking to a hot actor that they were purposefully extending the conversation with him in anyway possible, and he was too image conscious to be turning them down. As they were talking and gathering in front of the monitor that was displaying the photos that Min Ho and Shin Hye had taken earlier, Min Ho's eyes could not help but to look at those photos causing him to remember what happened earlier at the photoshoot. Though his body was there with his head nodding just for the sake of acknowledgement as though yeah-i'm-here-listening, his eyes were not focused and even adjusted himself to get a good view of the photos they had taken earlier. It made him remembered the impression that he had of her earlier. The impression that he had of Shin Hye that would last for the next three years.

Three years later in 2012, somewhere in October...

At a restaurant in Apgujeong...

"Kim Eun Sook-nim~ Mianhamnida I am late." Min Ho who had just came in to the restaurant to meet up with one of the well-known scriptwriters for a drama. 

"Neh Min Ho-sshi... Ani.. Ani.. It's alright. I have not been waiting for long either... And I am more than glad that you are willing to see me..."

"Aigoo~ Eun Sook-nim please don't say that.. I finally am able to have some time in my schedule."

"Jeongmal? I am just happy to be able to receive the call from you."

"Neh... What did you want to see me about writer-nim?"

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter