Hyuk-Hae-Ber

I Will Protect You ©

84. HYUK-HAE-BER

 

Our midnight flight was uneventful. All of us slept for most of it, exhausted after a long day at the beach. Rest of the flight, I worried about Amber and Puppy had to keep me grounded quite frequently. Children kept busy with their games and wheedling treats out of the flight attendants. Siwon wanted to sit with Puppy for some time and I appraised Heechul about Amber when sitting with him.

“Jinx will you explain to Duckie also so that she is calm like Minx when it happens?”

“Cinder I can teach you so you can explain to her yourself.”

“But I will not be able to field her questions at all. Come on.”

“Okay. But let her grow up a little more. She is only four at the moment Cinder.” I laughed at his eagerness.

“You can laugh all you want. God is so cruel to give me a heartless friend like you.”

“Right, drama queen. Now tell me why Siwon wants to talk to Puppy.”

“Ummm well you know.”

“No I don’t know. Why don’t you tell me?”

“Ummm it’s about that beach thing.”

“Tell me one thing Cinder. When you cannot say it to me, how did you manage to say anything to Siwon?”

“It took me an hour and I still could not tell him anything. That is what he has gone to ask Puppy. What he was talking about on the beach.”

“What? You cannot tell Siwon what we talked about. How do you expect to actually do it?”

“I am hoping Siwon will show me.”

I burst out laughing and couldn’t stop for a long time. “Cinder you are too much. Oh my god I can’t believe this.”

“Stop laughing at me Jinx. You only say that we must try new things. I want to try this.”

I discreetly looked at Siwon and Puppy. They were deep in a whispered discussion, both of them pink in the face. There was a lot of nodding from both.

“Cinder I think you are in luck and Siwon will at least let you try once. I wonder what Kibum will do when Tae refuses him.”

“He will kick Tae out of the bed till he agrees.”

I looked at him questioningly.

“Don’t look so shocked. Key told me that’s what he plans to do. He is confident that next time they do it, he’ll be doing it to Tae.”

“Top Cinder top. Come on say it once. T O P top.”

“You got it, so why do I have to say it.”

I resigned myself to a lifetime of brain picking by the duo. When Siwon returned to his seat, with a poker face, I got Puppy to tell me everything. Puppy had explained not only the topic of discussion on the beach, but also how much we both enjoyed our ever-changing positions. Siwon loved Heechul too much to refuse him anything his little heart desired.

“Yeobo next time please be careful of what you say to those two. It’s embarrassing when Super and Tae hyung talk to me.”

“But you are getting better at it.” I softly laughed and he joined me.

We finally reached Daegu at one in the afternoon of 1st March. I immediately called DongHae and located the group collecting their baggage. Leaving things to be handled by others, Puppy and I rushed to Amber’s side and hugged her. She was smiling. I sent a silent thank you to the powers above. She was alright and had an uneventful flight, sleeping through more than half of it. She sat between HyukHae and they kept her entertained and laughing for the rest of it. For some time she also sat and played games with Kai who, when I looked at him, was looking unhappy at the fact that the holiday was over. He and umma were rushed by TaeKey to leave for their home immediately.

The rest turned around to join our incoming group. Doc rushed to Soo’s side and discreetly held her hand. Imo invited him over for dinner. Uncle mock-groaned that we’d have to buy a bigger dining table.

Heechul called out, “Buy a bigger house Uncle.”

Sehun and Minx became upset and started protesting.

“When Soo gets married why don’t you move in with them Sehun?” Hyukkie suggested.

Sehun and Minx smiled brightly at that and Puppy whacked Hyukkie for planting the thought in their heads. “You worry about your love life first dear brother. Are you going to move in with them or are they going to move in with you? What will your parents say? Don’t go around giving evil ideas to little kids.”

HyukHae sobered up at the thought of their upcoming parting and Hyukkie’s parents.

“Get keun umma to invite Puppy and me for an early dinner tonight, get the invitation extended to DongHae and Amber. Leave out imo’s family as Doc is coming for dinner. If you cannot talk to them yourself, we will tell her.” I advised Hyukkie. Puppy nodded.

Hyukkie looked apprehensive. DongHae and Amber held his hands. We were glad to see the three had mended their relationship during the long flight. Though tired from the flight, they were going to drop Hyukkie first at his parent’s place before going home.

On reaching our home, we safely saw Sehun to his beaming family before ordering food from a nearby place and spent the time freshening up. After lunch, it was as if lights went out of us suddenly and we were all sleeping within a few minutes of each other. Our luggage was piled up in the living room, untouched.

Soo woke us in the evening to prepare for dinner. We about her eagerness. Puppy even more when she blushed. Minx announced she’d have dinner at Sehun’s and got up to run over to his house. Puppy caught her waist as she flashed by him, sending her off to her room to prepare for the school’s new term next morning. She was out in five minutes and we waved a bye to her.

Hyukkie called inviting us for dinner. He hadn’t said anything to his parents. Puppy, I and Byong left as imo promised to put Minx to bed on time. We tried not to worry on our way to dinner. Amber and DongHae were already present when we reached having arrived half an hour earlier. Amber rushed to hug us. After presenting my aunt and uncle with the gifts we’d brought from our holiday, we discussed our trip.

As my aunt left for the kitchen, I followed her. Amber followed us out of boredom. She set the tableware for us impressing my aunt who began talking to her about her home life. I could see her expression soften even more when Amber related about her mother’s death. I gave my phone to Amber to play games on and sent her back to the others.

“Keun umma, have you found any girl for Hyukkie?” I hugged her from behind as she stirred the dishes she was preparing.

“No Jinki. Hyukkie says no to all and others his father rejects. Both are simply driving me crazy.”

“Were you upset when Tae and I married men instead of women?”

She whacked me gently, “How can you say that? I just want you both to be happy. I was very sad when you had problems with Minho. But whatever happens is for a reason. Jonghyun is a much better man and I can see how happy you are with him.”

“I am keun umma. Very happy.”

“Okay out of with it. I am dying of curiosity. What is it that Hyukkie has called you here to talk to me about?”

I grinned knowing that we couldn’t fool my aunt at all. “Guess.”

She turned to me and thought for a moment. “Hyukkie wants to be with DongHae. Either he likes him or loves him. I am more inclined towards love. And it happened during the holiday.”

My grin got wider. “Bingo. You are super intelligent keun umma.”

“Why did he have to trouble you? He could have told us this himself.”

“Are you upset with him?”

“Yes. But not because he is interested in a man. I am upset that he didn’t trust me enough to understand him. So tell me about DongHae.”

“He is 40 and Puppy’s supervisor in Cyber Investigation Squad. He is currently Senior Superintendent. He’s Siwon’s best friend from Police Univ days. His wife died soon after child birth due to brain fever.”

“I know all that from talking with him. I want to know what you think.”

“He’s brought up Amber alone and had been faithful to his wife’s memories till he met our Hyukkie. He is a good man keun umma who will keep Hyukkie very happy. Amber also likes Hyukkie and accepts him. DongHae will bring a much-needed stability in Hyukkie’s life and will make him a good life partner.”

Aunt Hee Young hmm’ed through my details. “What about his career in Seoul?”

“That’s for them to work out. But I think Hyukkie will have to settle in Daegu only. Amber will not move to any other city now. She is very attached to me and Heechul and after the holiday even Puppy and Siwon for that matter.”

“Would they like to live with us? I would really like that, having my Hyukkie back with me.”

“What about keun appa? He might reject the relationship.”

“Oh no, he won’t. When he welcomed Kibum and Jonghyun, I am sure he will welcome DongHae also. And we are getting a granddaughter also. What’s to object about?”

“Still I think you should take time to think it over. It’s a big decision to make so quickly.”

“Jinki I can know a person after spending just five minutes with them. And I have understood that DongHae is a good person. Tell me more about the holiday.”

“We got three Brazilian sisters join us midway. The eldest tried to get DongHae interested in her and the youngest was after Hyukkie. But both had eyes for each other only. Amber was a real doll. She looked after Hyukkie where her father was concerned making it clear that if he did not love Hyukkie, then he should not disrespect him by having any physical relations with him. Keun umma that was the funniest conversation I ever heard.”

Aunt Hee Young laughed with me. “Then what happened Jinki?”

“It took only a day of Hyukkie’s ignoring DongHae for him to confess his feelings publicly and that too by singing a very beautiful song. Two songs actually. Hyukkie was going to accept after the first song but we hinted him to hold on for a clearer confession, not an oblique reference to love.”

“That sounds really interesting.” She laughed more.

“Next time you also come along on our holiday. Come on, I am sure you will enjoy it and have fun.”

“Let’s see. Now how about calling everyone to eat.”

I called out, “Amber will you ask everyone to sit for dinner?”

“Sure ummappa.”

“You must be having a large brood now mother hen.” My aunt teased me. I grinned at her.

The dinner was an easy going affair. Hyukkie and Puppy looked at me and I nodded at them with a smile. Puppy squeezed my thigh under the table and Hyukkie beamed with happiness. DongHae and Amber were full of praise for the cooking and keun umma plied them with more food till Amber loudly burped to everyone’s amusement.

Keun appa also had a good time talking shop with DongHae and Puppy. Keun umma spent her time feeding everyone, listening to DongHae’s conversations and dividing her time between Amber and Byong. Byong climbed into Puppy’s lap in the middle of dinner and fell asleep hugging him. Keun umma put him to sleep on the bed.

We lazed over the dessert and keun umma brought up the reason for dinner. She was not one to beat around the bush.

“Jinki tells me you both are interested in each other. Is that true?”

Hyukkie nodded with a smile and DongHae blushed through his agreement.

“How interested?” Keun appa asked.

The two looked at each other and DongHae answered, “If you will give your blessings, we want to be together for life.”

“What if you change your mind later on?” Keun umma asked.

“I –”

“We –”

Both spoke together then smiled sheepishly. They looked at each other and DongHae nodded for Hyukkie to go first.

“I won’t umma. I am not the same person who went to Seoul. I know myself and my mind better now. I love him. And I love Amber and want to be a family with hyung and her.” Hyukkie smiled at Amber. She got up and went to sit in his lap. He moved his chair back from the table to make space for her big frame.

“I love you too oppa. If appa does not treat you well, I will whack him for you.” Amber kissed his cheek and promised. He hugged her and kissed her forehead.

“Hyukkie you are only 25. Are you sure you can take on the responsibility of parenting a teenager?” Keun umma continued after watching their exchange.

“Jinki hyung told me about it. I have been thinking it over since then. I know it won’t be easy umma. But you and appa are there to guide me. I will do my best to be a good friend and parent to her.”

“You’ll be a better one than me.” DongHae spoke. They both looked at each other and laughed nervously.

“What about you DongHae? Do you think you can sustain this relationship? You have known each other less than a month.” Keun appa asked him.

“After sharing a room for 2 weeks, we’ve seen each other at our worst. I have seen him drooling in his sleep and he has seen me snoring. In my job, we have to be a good judge of people. And I am sure we are compatible. There will be ups and downs that are a part of most relationships. But we can see them through. He brings out the best in me.”

“And what about your parents?”

“I honestly don’t know how they will react. They live in Busan. Even if they don’t agree, I will not change my mind and hope that they will see Hyukkie the way Amber and I do.”

“Have you thought about where to live? He works in Seoul.” Keun appa probed more.

“I have been posted all over the country. I want to settle here in Daegu now. I have an extended family here, Siwon, Heechul, Jinki, Jjong, Leeteuk, imo, uncle, and now Hyukkie. If you give your blessings, I want to be a part of your family and be a son to you. I may not always be a good one, but I hope you will forgive me my mistakes and show me how to be a better son.”

I saw my aunt and uncle smile at that. They looked at Hyukkie.

“I have discussed with him during the flight. I don’t have any assignments lined up in Seoul. I can work here or open a dance academy with your help. But I will be honest. I will go wherever hyung goes. If he gets posted away from Daegu, then I will go with him.”

“I am planning to refuse all postings away from Daegu.”

“Don’t be so stubborn on that. If you refuse postings, how will you get promoted hyung?”

“I am happy with my current position. If they don’t promote me, I can always join a private company or open my own business. I like it here in Daegu. Its home for me and for you also. You cannot just leave your business behind and go all over the country with me.”

“I can and I will.”

“But you don’t have to. I am perfectly happy to spend my life in Daegu.”

“I don’t want you to give up your career for me.”

“Hush. I am not doing that. You mean more to me than a police career. Stop pouting. If you don’t believe me then ask Jjong why he refuses all trainings and assignments away from Daegu.”

We were looking at them talk it out. And DongHae suddenly put the spotlight on Puppy.

“Jonghyun have you been refusing trainings and assignments?” Keun umma asked.

Puppy gulped and blushed, “I don’t want to leave tokki alone. I promised to protect him and our family. How can I do that when I am away from them?”

I rubbed his back to calm him down. There was soft laughter around the table at his explanation.

“Jjong why don’t you tell the real reason that you cannot survive a day without your tokki. You are on the phone with him every opportunity you get.” DongHae .

Puppy blushed deeper and whispered, “That’s also there.”

Soft laughter turned into gales of laughter.

“Hey stop teasing my Puppy. Let’s see if you are any different DongHae. I think it’s a case of pot calling the kettle black. Puppy, hide his phone tomorrow so he cannot call Hyukkie. Let’s see how long he survives.” I smiled as I threatened DongHae.

“Jjong if you dare touch my phone I will write up a black report for you.”

“Go ahead and do that. I will complain to Heechul hyung. And he will make your life totally miserable.”

“Why am I planning to stay in Daegu for such rotten friends? With friends like you who needs enemies?”

“You realize that if keun appa and umma agree, we will be brothers-in-law? Since my tokki is the eldest brother, I will be your senior.” Puppy pointed out a simple fact to DongHae who blanched. “And not just me. Even Taemin and Kibum hyung-deul will be your seniors.” Puppy more.

“No, not you three brats.” DongHae protested.

“Amber, call me keun appa from now on.” Puppy advised Amber who was laughing at the thought of her father who was the oldest in our group becoming the youngest by relation.

All of us were laughing at their exchange.

“So DongHae how do you feel being junior to them by relation? Do you still want to be with Hyukkie?” Keun appa asked what I considered his final question.

“As long as I don’t have to call any of them hyung, I am fine with it. I know how to keep these brats in line, rather Jinki knows. I can always take lessons from him.”

Hyukkie turned to his parents, “So what do you say? Yes or no?”

“It’s a yes from our side. But we’d like to talk at least once with DongHae’s parents also. And you will be living apart till we have a small private ceremony to bless your union.”

We jumped and whooped with joy. I rushed to hug my aunt and uncle. Amber followed me and hugged them as well. When everyone had hugged each other, we calmed down a little.

Puppy and I looked at each other and decided to let the new family decide further details together. We took our leave and returned home in a jubilant mood. We had taken the next say off from our work to take care of all the house work after our long holiday. Imo and children had to go to the first day of the new academic year. Soo and Ji were taking off from their college as well.

We put Byong to bed with sleeping Minx in the former guestroom which we decided to convert into children’s bedroom. We’d realized the value of our privacy during the holiday and Byong was now old enough to share a room with Minx.

We grinned as we locked our bedroom door.

“Come here yeobo. I am in dire need of your sweet loving tonight.”

I kissed him and gave him what he wanted for as he long as he wanted that night.