Predicament/Prediction

I Will Protect You ©

53.  PREDICAMENT/PREDICTION  

 

The wheel of fortune struck us again. A week after the dinner, uncle’s mother quietly passed away. Imo was combing her hair after bathing her, when she simply closed her eyes and didn’t open them again. We had to explain the concept of death to a perplexed Minx.

For the first time, uncle’s entire family visited the house, his sisters and children and their families from out of town stayed with us. Some didn’t bat an eyelash at our little Kim family, others frowned. Taking uncle and imo’s advice, we ignored all the reactions.

More the older mourners hushed a gurgling Byong, more he squealed and gurgled at them. There was not a single person who had not cooed at him or played with him by the end of the mourning period. We coached Minx to be careful with her responses to the older relatives. She stuck close to Soo and Jiyeon or went over to Sehun’s.

There were a lot of visitors from the first hagwon’s families to pay their last respect to imo’s mother-in-law. Imo was quite popular with the police wives and was a member of the mothers club.  

It took a month for our lives to return to a semblance of normalcy. We sorely missed her presence in the house. None of us wanted to move into the now empty room. Finally it was decided to convert it into guest room.

Heechul was nearing his surgery time. Two weeks before the scheduled surgery, imo insisted that we prepare the house for the arrival of Heechul, Siwon and later their baby. Siwon and puppy went shopping for baby stuff. Puppy considered himself an expert at it. He actually was.

We all agreed to use Byong’s clothes for new baby as well. There was no reason to purchase all the clothes once again when the money could be used for better things. Siwon and Puppy did buy a few new clothes. Since we did not know baby’s gender, they purchased gender-neutral clothes. The children had gone with them and there was a lot of ‘unnecessary’ shopping done for Minx, Jiyeon and Byong as well.

The guest room’s wardrobe was stocked with their clothes and baby essentials in preparation for their arrival. Heechul and Siwon moved in a week before the surgery.   

Heechul insisted on having full beauty treatment in his last week of pregnancy. I was roped in unwillingly to assist Kibum. It was a sight I will never forget in my life. Imo applied face masks for umma and heechul. Kibum for her and finally I had to apply for Kibum. I kept eating their cucumber slices. Kibum had learned from experience and sliced enough cucumbers to satisfy my need to eat them and still have a few left over for their eyes. Byong took one look at them in their masks and began crying. And I couldn’t help laughing all the time.

I took a photograph for keepsake while all had their eyes closed. Kibum kept trying to hush me but I just laughed louder. I gave Byong a cucumber slice as well which silenced him.

My laughter attracted Jiyeon, Minx and Kai and they wanted to know what was the ‘goo’ on everyone’s face. I explained it was to make their ugly mugs beautiful. They insisted on becoming beautiful as well. I face-palmed myself. Me and my big mouth.

I applied face mask to them and put cucumber on their eyes. Minx promptly ate hers. I cheered her and punched the air. Like father like daughter. Both of us clicked photographs together. She called Sehun to let him know they were getting beautiful.

In a jiffy, Sehun rang our doorbell.

“Ummappa you have to make me also beautiful. If Minx is going to be prettier, I need to be same to match her.”

I gaped at him in wonder and thanked his lucky stars that puppy was still not back from work.

“Sehun it’s for girls only.”

He pointed to Kai, Heechul and Kibum and raised his brows. I admitted defeat and made him sit applying a mask on his face as well. I sliced more cucumbers and put it on his and Minx’s eyes again. Both took them off to share and eat them. I gave them more cucumber to munch on. Everyone was becoming pretty and we were becoming healthy.

When the masks came off, I couldn’t find any difference in any of them from before. I just got a whack on my head from Kibum for my bad eyesight while Heechul got a manicure and pedicure. And his hair colored dark red by Kibum. I kept wondering aloud why hair coloring was required for problem-free surgery. The mechanics of their brains and concepts of their beauty were beyond me. Sehun wanted his hair colored pink like cotton candy but Kibum told him he was too young.

Leaving the four of them at home to pamper each other to their hearts’ content, I took the children and Soo for ice cream and chicken for myself. I needed to get over all the cuteness at home. Bah!

Byong had a taste of everyone’s ice creams before deciding to share with Kai who kept alternating between chicken and ice cream. The boy had weird taste. Just like Taemin. Sehun kept sharing his ice cream with Minx. I was once again glad puppy was not there.

I wondered if we needed to talk to Sehun’s mother about this. I discussed it with puppy that night and he was of the same opinion, we did need to talk it out with Mrs Oh.

I was going to the academies for a few hours every afternoon after imo returned from school to keep Heechul company and was going to maintain that routine for next two months.

Next evening, puppy and I went over to the Oh house to talk with Sehun’s mother. The kids were over at our place to play. We awkwardly opened the discussion, not sure how we’d be received. Her reaction took us by surprise.

“Oh thank god you also noticed it. We thought we are going crazy and it was just our imagination.” She sounded more relieved than upset.

“Noona we know they are just children, but the way they behave towards each other is not very children-like.” I continued.

“I’ve noticed that. Even his father has observed it. We are hoping they will outgrow this as they grow older.”

“What if they don’t Noona? What if their feelings become stronger? They are already talking of getting married when they grow up.” Puppy asked her.

“What do you suggest we do?” She asked us.

“We don’t know ourselves. We thought you might have a solution or a suggestion.” I answered.

“His father and I discussed it, as I think you both have. I will be honest and I hope you don’t mind it.”

“Please do. We are here to find a solution to our mutual dilemma.” Puppy assured her.

“Hmm. How do I put this? It sounded easier when his father and I were talking. We value you as our neighbors. We are closer to your family than to our other neighbors. We don’t want to lose that. Also, the children are good friends. We shouldn’t stop them from playing together.”

“We agree noona. Tell us what you and hyung think.” I encouraged her on.

“We like Minx. You both have done a very good job till now. We think she will grow up to be a lovely girl.” She looked at us with apprehension.

“Thank you noona.” Puppy answered for us.

“If the children still feel the same when they grow up, we don’t mind if they do marry.” She finished in a rush.

Puppy was speechless in shock. I smiled at her. Somehow I’d begun suspecting where her conversation was leading.    

“Thank you noona for sharing your thoughts with us. I like Sehun too. However, I think Jjong needs more time to adjust to the idea. He does not want her to marry till she is 50.” I spoke for us.

Puppy shook his head and gulped. Then nodded and looked confused. He was not sure what he was agreeing or disagreeing with.

“You don’t want her to marry before 50?” I asked him.

He shook his head. Okay so that was clear. Her marriageable age according to him was 50.

“You like Sehun.” I asked further.

He nodded. So we were on the same page still.

Mrs Oh started giggling.

“Noona this means keeping a stricter eye on the children. There’s no way we will accept any physical contact before they make up their minds to marry and do get married.” I made my thoughts clear.

Puppy’s eyes bugged out at the thought. I was sure he had never even considered this point. I patted his arm to keep him calm.

“I am so glad you brought up this point. It has been worrying me. They are already kissing each other’s hands all the time.” She sounded upset.

“That’s because I made Minx promise to kiss only the hands. They were kissing each other’s cheeks before that.” I informed her, guessing she didn’t know.

“What? When?” She asked.

“When I was in the hospital she told me about it. I am happy she is keeping her promise to me and Sehun is agreeing to keep it also. As parents we do not want our children to grow up, but we have to face the reality. Our children are maturing too fast. We don’t want to put an end to their friendship because it will spoil our relationship with her and with you too. But when the time is right we have to make it clear to them, no physical contact. I don’t think we will be able to bear that.” I made my point clear to Mrs Oh.

She turned pink again, “I am sorry. I apologize on his behalf. I hope you consider the fact that he is still a little boy.”

“Noona I am not blaming you or him or even Minx. Please do not apologize. All I am saying is that we will have to be vigilant where these two are concerned and make sure they do not end up doing anything inappropriate as they grow older. All four of us will need to keep our eyes and ears open.” I explained.

“Dear god, please do make them break up before they get hit by hormones in teenage.” Puppy prayed. “I know what teenage boys think when they see girls.”

“Silly puppy. Remember what I said about a known and unknown one.” I reminded him.

“I remember. But can you see me sitting across from Sehun when he is 15 and keep silent knowing what he is thinking every time he lays eyes on my baby girl.” Puppy protested.

“I am sorry noona. He means no offense to you or your upbringing of Sehun.” I apologized to Mrs Oh.

“None taken Jinki. Sehun’s father was worrying about exactly the same thing.”

“I think I will make her give me more promises. She does not break her promises to me and will not let Sehun break them either.” I suggested a solution.

“I suggest we break them up before they hit their teens.” Puppy gave his own solution.

“But we want Minx as our daughter-in-law,” Mrs Oh protested.

Puppy and I stared at her. From a possibility she had turned it to finality.

“We are gay. Your family will not accept Minx.” I spoke aloud my anxiety.

“We like you both. We like imo and uncle. We like how you make everyone a part of your family. Our Sehun will be very lucky to be a part of your loving family.”

“We are not saying no. We are not saying yes. We don’t know what to say or think right now. We only want the best for both children. Let the children decide what they want when they reach the right age. But, there are limits that we want to enforce on their friendship. And please don’t tell imo. She will begin planning the wedding.” I managed to speak out. Puppy looked totally dazed.

Mrs Oh smiled and we said our byes to her and returned home in a daze. The outcome of the discussion was totally unexpected and a little unsettling. Year 2004 was almost ending, and in this modern era, marriages were no longer fixed in the childhood.

“Yeobo, was noona asking for our baby girl’s hand in marriage for Sehun?” Puppy asked me that night as we got ready to sleep.

“It looked like that to me in the end. They seem to have decided already on the marriage.” I replied, dazed once again at the reminder.

“If the dweeb does not treat her right, I will break his bones.” Puppy whispered.

“What? My baby girl is not marrying anyone. She is only 6. I want her with me for at least another 20 more years. And what if I don’t like what Sehun grows up to be?”

“Remember what you told me yeobo? Better a known devil than an unknown one.”

“A devil is a devil. Known or unknown makes no difference. What if her husband does not treat her right and she never tells us about it jagi? I don’t want my baby to suffer like I did.”

“Sshh yeobo. Stop worrying and over thinking. She is going to be very happy in her marriage. I will make sure of that. Trust me. I will make sure whoever she marries treats her well and keeps her smiling all the time. I promise you. Have faith that her husband will love her as much as I love you.”

“I love you too puppy. Yes, that’s what I want, someone to love her as much as you love me and keep her happy always.”

“I promise you yeobo. She will be happy.”

“Silly puppy. You cannot predict the future.”

“Where our family is concerned, I can. We will find a good husband for her. Now stop worrying. I don’t want to think of her marriage at all, at any age.”

“Correct.” I kissed my puppy. “Sweet. I want more.”

And we forgot about everything and everyone else for remainder of the night.