Day 5 Ferity

I Will Protect You ©

70. DAY 5 FERITY

 

In the morning of our fifth day of holiday, I lay in bed wondering how long puppy and I could continue with little sleep. Puppy was in the bathroom humming a song and brushing his teeth at the same time. Only he could do so without choking. I’d tried once only, with disappointing results. I recognized what he was humming. Kai was in for tough times today.

I stopped being lazy and left the bed. There was packing to do as we were leaving the hotel right after breakfast. It didn’t take me long to put all the stuff in our bags. I could hear puppy singing loudly in the shower. I joined him to silence him. I didn’t want to think of Kai’s noona in the morning.

As I took my time in the bathroom after a joint shower, puppy went to check on Sehun and help him pack. He came back with all the kids in tow. Leeteuk had already packed for Sehun. We sent Minx to check on Siwon and Heechul and got the report that they were still sleeping. Puppy got the bath ready for Byong and Duckie. While we bathed and dressed the little ones, Puppy sent Minx, Sehun and Kai to wake up everyone and tell them to be ready to leave the hotel by 7. Sleepyheads would miss the day’s first activity and regret it.

At sharp seven, Minx, Sehun and Kai began knocking all the doors again, sending everyone down for breakfast. I was already in the dining area supervising Byong and Duckie in their breakfast. Puppy came next with all the kids and he requested sandwiches to be packed for everyone. I left the little ones to eat with the kids and plated food for puppy and myself while he went to tell the reception to prepare our bills.

During breakfast, everyone partnered up for the first activity. There had to be one adult with driving license with everyone who didn’t have one. TaeKey were pouting at being separated. Hyukkie offered to partner with Kai with a wagging finger at Taemin, “Tae hyung you better side with me next time my parents call you for a meeting. You owe me a favor now.” Kibum promised to put in a good word for DongHae making Hyukkie blush.

Puppy and I had three kids between the two of us. Siwon offered to take Byong with him so Puppy could partner with Sehun. I was sure the boys would enjoy with those two as Heechul and I were pretty staid drivers. Umma kept refusing to go, till Leeteuk offered to partner with her and take care of her. She reluctantly agreed.

Puppy looked at a more sober Kai trying to behave well with Amber and put our advice into practice right from the morning itself. He nudged me as Kai got up and got juice refills for himself and Amber. She smiled her thanks to him and he kept staring at her face.

Puppy began singing his shower song again.  

Noona you are so pretty,

Boys won’t leave you alone

Honestly, I know your shaking feelings

I joined him after a few lines. Kai needed to learn that teasing is a two-way street. However, to save our skins from DongHae instead of Kai and Amber we looked at each other while singing.

To you I know this love is one moment, one feeling

But no matter what is said, this is my life’s everything

TaeKey picked up the next verse of the song without realizing it was their blushing son we were teasing.

Maybe you are worried about my young age

But look into my eyes, what is it telling you?

and I think I’m gonna hate it girl

if the end comes

Your heart will tell you, regardless of what others say

Uncle rapped the table, “Stop singing and shovel up the food. We leave in half hour. I am going to the reception. Come along Siwon and DongHae.”

We laughed and gulped down our food, watching a relieved Kai offering a compliment to Amber on her new look. She looked puzzled at his change. We wondered when she’d figure it out.

I put the packed sandwiches in my bag and rushed upstairs with the kids while puppy went to the reception to help clear the bills. Uncle would divide the individual/family share later in the day.

With kids wearing their backpacks, we counted the luggage and the kids. I left generous tip in our room for housekeeping staff, explaining to the kids the need for it. Minx and Sehun wanted to leave tips in their rooms as well. I gave some of the money from our room to them. We counted the luggage and the kids once more in the lobby and finally in the coach. Everyone was there. We were happy with our well-trained kids who had all been partnered with each other to prevent them from straying off.

During the bus ride to our next play stop, children were warned to behave and follow all the safety instructions. We were riding to Nellis Dunes in Mojave Desert for adventure sports.

Tae was almost jumping on his seat and asking to race with Hyukkie, who refused. Kibum requested to be partnered with someone else. Kai was the only one willing to go with Tae. We all knew Tae’s penchant for recklessness and no one was willing to risk themselves or kids with him. I was not sure about Kai either but they were his parents and puppy held my hand to keep me silent. We crossed our fingers. Umma told Tae to make sure he brought Kai back in one piece or appa would tear him apart. That sobered him up a little, but only briefly.

We reached Nellis Sand Dunes and were glad to have paired up earlier only. After carefully listening to the safety instructions we made sure the children understood them as well. Safety gear was carefully worn and I couldn’t stop myself from warning Taemin to be careful and curb his wildness in favor of safety. He nodded but was first to sit in the double-seater dune buggies.

This was the last of our adult programs as the remainder of the trip was more children-centric. We watched as Tae and Kai zoomed off. Kibum got scared and began repenting changing seats with Kai. We calmed him down and sent him off with Hyukkie to divert his mind.

Umma looked at the dune buggy and refused to ride in it. Doc promised to take it slow and take care. She got on apprehensively and Doc drove off slowly to get her accustomed to it. Sehun and Byong were jumping to ride off, puppy and Siwon were next to take off. Heechul and Soo drove off with Duckie and Jiyeon.

I helped imo strap up and waved bye to uncle and her. Last to leave were Minx and me. I was driving so slowly that Minx kept coaxing me to go faster. We could see Tae and Kai returning with huge grins and soon they overtook us on their second round. Finally I sped up enough to satisfy Minx and we overtook equally slow-moving Doc.

Half way through the ride, I relaxed and began to enjoy the dune ride. As we approached the end point that was also the start point, I saw Puppy, Siwon, DongHae and Hyukkie taking off in single buggies shouting what sounded like loser buying lunch for all.

A few minutes later, Tae and Kai returned from their second trip and Tae was very disappointed at missing out on the race. He was still whining when uncle and Doc reached us. Leeteuk took up Tae’s racing offer and both arranged single buggies for themselves and sped off, whooping like little kids.

I took out the sandwiches from my bag and offered one to all the kids. Adrenaline rushes use up a lot of body glucose and kids needed to keep up their energy. I made Kibum also eat one so he could calm down. He was still very red in the face. I wondered if I should point out to Kibum how Kai was offering his sandwich to Amber in case she wanted more than one.

As the kids finished their snack, we heard loud whoops signaling the end of the race. We looked eagerly to see the result and found DongHae and Siwon neck to neck in the front, followed by my puppy and Hyukkie coming in last. DongHae looked behind him and saw Hyukkie’s position and I could see him making the hard decision and easing off on the accelerator to fall back.

Minx and Sehun jumped and yelled for their puppy appa to move faster. He gave a burst of speed and finished together with Siwon. DongHae and Hyukkie grinned as they came in together in the end. Love was definitely in the air.

“Appa why did you slow down? You were winning.” Amber whined to DongHae, who couldn’t stop smiling at Hyukkie.

“And it would have been poor repayment to Hyukkie for agreeing to my condition so I agree to you cutting off your hair.” DongHae explained to her, putting an arm around Hyukkie’s shoulders.

“You are such a gentleman all the time appa.” Amber pouted and mock punched DongHae in the abdomen.

In the meantime, the kids were dancing around Siwon and puppy. Minx and Sehun had climbed all over their puppy appa while Byong and Duckie had climbed into Siwon’s arms. Heechul was screeching right along with the kids. Kai was holding on to Puppy’s hand and jumping up and down.

I took numerous photographs of one crazy group celebrating the victory and three people hugging each other in their loss and grinning about it.

Very soon, Tae and Doc also arrived, screaming like crazy. Our, till that day, sedate group had turned into a bunch of wild banshees.

There were still screams and shouts as we climbed into our bus to go to the airport for our flight to San Diego. The race was declared void because DongHae had cheated to lose. Tae was loudly reminding everyone that it was anyway void because he was not a participant. Puppy silently laced our fingers together as we sat watching everyone in amusement.

Behind us umma was sitting with imo and telling her in whispers, “Dae Hei you have made a good decision regarding Leeteuk. A man who took care of an old me like he did today is really worth keeping as a son-in-law. You will be stupid to let him get away. Stop with your terms and conditions nonsense and just marry them as soon as possible. I know Soo is only 22 but so what? Let her complete her studies after marriage. Good men don’t grow on trees. Hold on to him now that you’ve got him.”

Puppy and I looked at each other and grinned. Our choice for Soo was well accepted by the elders. Puppy whispered in my ear, “Don’t worry yeobo, aunt Hee Young will also like and accept DongHae hyung. You just see. And she will absolutely adore Amber.” I squeezed his hand in response and smiled happily.

Though our flight to San Diego was 15 minutes ahead of the other group, we still reached San Diego almost at the same time. We had lunched in Las Vegas airport while waiting for our flight. Since it was already afternoon, we’d decided to check in later and go straight for sightseeing from the airport. We loaded our luggage and ourselves into our coach and went to San Diego Wild Animal Park. There was an African Safari waiting for us.

We wished we could see more of San Diego and visit its zoo as well, but our trip was fully packed with a variety of different activities. Imo began teasing us, “What’s the need to visit any other zoo, we have a zoo in our family itself. Maybe we should begin charging money from everyone who meets us.”

Everyone laughed and began counting the animals in our group. Taemin pointed at my puppy and said, “It’s unfair that he is two animals in one. He has to decide whether he is a puppy or a dragon.”

Uncle began an animal roll call and we took our bows as our name was called. First was Duckie. She grinned and waved like a princess at everyone from her seat. Byong jumped up and down on his seat. Minx took a bow.

At wolf both Sehun and Kai stood up. Sehun had played big bad wolf to Minx’s red riding hood game that he was readily acknowledged as one. Hyukkie said Kai should be a monkey for all the jumping around he does. Kai pounced on him and began tickling him till Hyukkie accepted him as a wolf too.

I reminded imo, “We have two cats imo. How could you forget Tae’s Kitty?”

Tae called out, “I think my Kitty has grown up into a y Fox.”

We laughed and forced Kibum to get up and acknowledge himself as fox. He gave a y pose in acceptance.

Amber was asked to announce herself as an animal and she showed the stuffed llama she had picked up at the airport and called herself llama. We had to agree, the plushie resembled Amber.

Before we could go further, we’d reached our destination and we almost jumped out of the bus in excitement. We were just in time to catch the last safari trip for the day.

We spent great three hours seeing all kinds of animals and birds in enclosures mimicking their natural habitat. To see so many exotic species was a first for all of us. The safari guide kept up a running commentary on everything we saw, turning it into a great educational time for all of us. We listened and watched with full attention.  

On our way to the hotel, we teased Tae about never visiting any zoo on their trips abroad. He accepted that his holiday itineraries missed a lot of stuff and this large family holiday was the best fun they had on all their trips. Siwon, Uncle and Puppy stood up and took their bows again. We raised three cheers for them.

On checking into the hotel, everyone decided to do their own thing for dinner. Some ordered food in the rooms, while others visited the hotel’s restaurant. We decided on room dining. Kids all decided to dine with us. Sichul, HyukHae and TaeKey went out for dinner with Soo and Leeteuk. After some debate, uncle and imo accompanied them. Umma and Jiyeon opted to sleep early and ordered room service.

The two had Chinese, as there was no Korean dish available. The rest of us decided to have Mexican food. While waiting for the food to arrive, all of us quickly bathed. Jiyeon tried some of the Mexican, and pushed her Chinese food at me. We wondered about the others and it was unanimously decided that they’d have either Chinese or Japanese if they couldn’t find any Korean food.

After rehashing the eventful day number of times during dinner, kids began yawning. Duckie and Byong cuddled into us and once again fell asleep while we were still feeding them. Puppy and I tucked them into the bed so we could finish eating.  

We relaxed sitting on the floor with our legs stretched out and backs to the wall or furniture, talking lazily. Umma asked Jiyeon what she wanted to do with her life.

“Imonim I am going to join appa’s business, but umma is insisting I join her school as a teacher. I am totally confused.”

“Ji, just do your college for now, decide during your post grad time.” Puppy suggested and I nodded in agreement.

“But remember, if you don’t join uncle’s business, all his life’s work will make someone else’s life easier. All fathers want their children to benefit from their hard work and join the business that they or their fathers started before them. Uncle has worked hard to set up his business and reach the position he has now in the advertising industry. He will never force you to join his business, but I know he’d love to hand it over to you and feel satisfied that his life’s work is benefitting you and you will carry his business legacy forward. But it’s your choice ultimately what you want to do your entire life. Choose what makes you happy, not your parents.” I advised her further. She listened carefully to my words.

“Ummappa I want to be a doctor like Leeteuk ahjussi. Do you think appa will allow it?” Sehun asked us.

“Sehun you need to work very hard for it and have to be good in science in school.” Umma answered for us.

“Halmeoni, I get good marks in all the subjects.” He answered her.

“You have to get good marks in high school.” She informed him further. He nodded in understanding.

“And its hard work even after that Sunshine. There are years of study and then residency and senior residency to specialize in any one medical field. It takes a lot of dedication and loss of sleep. You need to stay focused from the day you enter college.” I elaborated about medical student’s life.

He nodded again with a determined look on his face.

“And you may not have time to meet Minx during college.” Puppy put in his two words.

That shocked Sehun who started at us and then at Minx. We grinned at his reaction.

“Sehun don’t worry,” Minx comforted him, “We will make time to meet. We live next door. We can have breakfast together daily if umma and appa don’t mind and you can eat dinner with us. Don’t listen to appa. We will meet daily. You just study hard and become a good doctor.”

Now we started at her in shock. I mentally calculated her age. Yes she was still 11, there were 8 weeks more before she turned 12. I jumped up and did a victory dance. I had a genius for daughter. Now everyone stared at me in shock.

“Puppy we have a genius for daughter. If at 11 she thinks like this, just imagine her at 21 or 31.” I explained to puppy.

He pulled me down by tugging my hand, “Sit tokki. Just imagine the headache we will have when she is that age. Her brain works faster than ours.” Then he whispered in my ear, “What if she decides to sleep over at that age? Remember how many times we met late at night while everyone slept?”

Minx beamed at our praise. I tried to digest puppy’s words and their implication while still smiling for the benefit of the kids.

Umma wagged her finger at me, “Jinki, serves you right. You also gave me and your father lots of headache and sleepless nights.”

I pouted at her and Jiyeon pulled my cheeks, “Oppa you look so cute when you pout.”

The kids began laughing when I batted her hands away. I began tickling them and soon it turned into a free-for-all tickle match. We were breathless by the time we stopped.

“So Amber what do you want to be when you grow up?” Jiyeon asked.

“I want to join KPA like Siwon appa. And I want to top my class like puppy appa.” She answered. Puppy blushed and patted her head.

“And you Kai?” I asked him.

“You already know omoni. I want to do something related to dancing but umma insists that I become an engineer like Minseok sookbu. So I will become an engineer and then do MBA and get a good job. Unless harabeoji or appa want me to do something else. Then the three can argue it out and I will do what the winner wants.” Kai laughed at his own career choice.

Everyone looked at Minx as she was the only one left. She gave a huge smile and climbed into my lap. Hugging me tight she announced, “I want to be an umma.”

“What? Its eight years and you are still stuck on that only? You can be a mother no matter what career you choose.” I reminded her with a laugh.

“I want to be just an umma, like Sehun’s mother.”

Sehun beamed at her and they did a high five. Puppy banged his head on the wall. I tried not to groan on hearing Minx while umma again wagged her finger at me, fortunately she remained silent this time. I didn’t want the follies of my youth blared in front of the kids.

Puppy whispered in my ear, “She is Minho’s daughter no doubt.” I laughed on hearing him. He was so right. Minho at the age of 44 was still not working according to our last information.

Minx who was still sitting in my lap growled, “I heard that. I am your daughter appa and don’t you dare say anything else.”

Puppy took her to sit on his lap and told her softly, “Of course you are my daughter. I will die without you. But you need more ambition in life baby girl.”

“I have appa. Like you are best dragon at work, I want to be best mother at home. I want to be best mother in whole of Korea.”

I face palmed. Umma laughed and asked her, “How many babies will you have Minxy?”

She raised both her hands to show us ten. “I have thought about it. To be best mother in the world I need to have more babies than other mothers. Sehun and I will have ten babies.” She beamed at Sehun who nodded at her words, smiling happily.

Puppy and I looked at them in horror. The others just laughed at us. Umma, Jiyeon and Amber doubled over with uncontrolled laughter. Kai looked at Sehun with admiration while laughing at Minx’s words. Minx sat beside Sehun and they both were smiling in their own bubble of happiness.

With a great effort we erased horror from our faces and replaced it with something akin to resignation. Maybe we should send Sehun off for his military service at 18. Maybe puppy could hack into their records and make him serve till Minx turned 25. I whispered my plan to puppy and he nodded in agreement. Finally we both smiled.

Jiyeon took one look at us and spoke out, “Tokki oppa you are hatching some evil plan for sure. I know that look in your eyes.”

I shook my head and laughed, “Easy Ji, we were just planning on how to make our Minx the best mother in the world.”

Puppy nodded eagerly in agreement and high fived me. The two kids smiled happily at our words. Ji and umma simply narrowed their eyes and looked at us with suspicion. Before Ji could say anything more, there was a knock on the door and the outside diners entered talking loudly, arguing about the malls in San Diego. Their hands filled with bags.

I looked at my watch. It was nearing 11 in the night and these shopaholics had managed to squeeze in some shopping as well. Seeing the two little ones asleep, the group fell silent and we went into Taemin’s room. Kids gathered around to know the purchases. Hyukkie took out a Mexican hat for Amber who hugged him happily. Imo and Kibum presented a fine wool shawl to umma. Imo had bought one for Sehun’s mother as well and he happily accepted it to put in his bag. She gave one shawl to puppy for his mother. There were gifts for his and Sehun’s father and brother also.

There was nice Mexican jewelry for Minx. San Diego was near the Mexican border and imo was happy to find something different to buy. There were Mexican styled shirts for all of us and all the kids, even for the men back home. Heechul had purchased dresses for Duckie. Kids decided to wear their shirts the next day.

Kibum handed me a brown paper bag and told me open it in the privacy of my room and enjoy. He and Tae winked at each other.

Uncle reminded us to be down for buffet breakfast by 8 in the morning and be ready to leave by 9 max. Kids were asked to sleep or they’d be too tired to enjoy the activities. Everyone trooped off to their rooms. Siwon carried Duckie to Minx and Amber’s room while Soo carried off Byong to hers, leaving puppy and me alone in our room.

As soon as I heard puppy lock the door, I turned over the brown bag on our bed. I stood staring at the items in shock. When and how did Kibum get the opportunity to buy such items?