Overabundance of Love

I Will Protect You ©

46. OVERABUNDANCE OF LOVE

 

Puppy and I were lucky as new parents in our vast extended family to get these precious moments alone with each other and Byong, thanks to our wise friend Heechul. We were always discreet about our feelings when family was around, any PDA was rare and was only to give comfort.

When I woke, puppy was sitting by my bedside holding my hand, sleeping with his cheek pressed to my hand. I just gazed at the love of my life, finding it difficult to even define my feelings at that moment. I was certain I wouldn’t survive a moment without him in my life.

I still had a glucose IV line attached to my right hand. I carefully patted my adorable puppy’s head with it. Every other love in my life paled in front of my love for him. Even Minx and Byong came after him. And by some miracle he loved me just as much.

I wiped my tears. He would panic if he saw me crying. I woke him softly, “Jagi, wake up.”

“Oh I fell asleep? How are you feeling yeobo?” He kissed my hand.

“I didn’t want to wake you up but I need to use the bathroom. Can you ask the nurse if I can get up and walk?”

After kissing me softly, he rushed to get the nurse. She removed the IV line and together they helped me get up from the bed. Puppy assisted my trip to the bathroom and back. Nurse reattached the IV line and asked if I was feeling any pain.

“No pain. But I am feeling hungry.”

“Doctor has prescribed seaweed soup for you. I will ask for some to be brought for you. And the attendant food menu is in that top drawer. You can also order some food for yourself.” The nurse kindly pointed out to puppy.

There was a lot of giggling as the door opened again immediately after the nurse had left. We looked to see our special giggling gaggle of girls. Minx ran to puppy who picked her up and kissed her. Jiyeon came to my side followed by imo and Soo.  

“Appa I have come to see my brother. I was a very good girl and did not trouble anyone. Can I hold him now?” Minx began rattling off immediately.

“Hold on Minx. How about giving your ummappa a kiss first?”

“Can I touch ummappa? It won’t hurt him?” My innocent baby girl asked.

Puppy brought her to me for a kiss. I grinned and kissed her many times. “I love you Minx. You won’t hurt me if you kiss me. I missed you.”

“Ummappa I missed you too. Are you alright? Was the doctor good to you? Sehun says he will beat up the doctor if he did not treat you well.”

I laughed softly, “Yes I am alright. The doctor treated me very well. That’s Sehun oppa for you, he is older than you. What else did he say?”

“You talk a lot for a sick man ummappa. It is Sehun only. Not oppa. He said I should treat his parents well as they will also be my mother and father one day. But I already have you and appa. Why would I need his mother and father?”

“What? That little dweeb!” Puppy softly exploded. I grinned. Imo and the girls began laughing.

“What is dweeb appa?” Minx turned to puppy.

“It means a cute little lapdog baby. But only appa is allowed to use that word as a police officer. You should not say it to anyone.” I tried to contain the matter and my grin.

“And this is what happens when you call boys cute in front of girls. Now you know why I told you not to call any more boys cute? Congratulations ‘jangin’.” I grinned at my pouting puppy.

“So cute. You know Jinki your uncle was same age when he first proposed to me.” Imo reminisced. She walked over to puppy and patted his back to make him breathe again.

Soo was holding her stomach and laughing. “Oh God, you people are so funny. We will rake in lots of money if we just record our daily life and broadcast it. Umma you didn’t have to tell Jinki oppa that piece of info. Knowing him, he will start collecting wedding clothes and gifts from the hospital bed only. Jinki oppa get that look out of your eyes. You are worse than any grandmother I can think of.”

Puppy exploded, “Oh no tokki. She is not marrying for at least another 50 years. I am not letting my baby girl marry any bad man. And I know all men are bad. She is going to stay safe with us and be loved to death. Aren’t you baby? You will stay with appa forever, right Minx?”

“Forever and ever appa. And you have to read me stories daily and get me ice cream also.” The little minx tried to take advantage of her hapless father.

“All the ice cream you want baby.” Puppy promised.

“Oh no no no no. Minx you are not doing that to your father. No ice cream if you misbehave. Puppy don’t spoil her so much.” I interrupted the mad duo.

“Oppa how are you feeling?” Jiyeon reminded us of her presence.

“I will be better if you kiss me Ji.” I called her to my side.

She quickly kissed me and smiled. Imo opened the large bag Soo was carrying. She and Soo set about food for puppy while he went with Minx and Jiyeon to see Byong. He soon returned with sleeping Byong in his arms handing him to imo. He moved my bed so I could sit up to have my seaweed soup that imo had poured in a bowl for me. After informing the nurse to not ask the hospital kitchen for my soup, Soo helped me eat. We insisted puppy have his food while we still had peace in the room.

Imo, Minx and Jiyeon sat with Byong. The girls wanted to hold him but imo wisely postponed the event for next day. They had to satisfy themselves by holding him through her arms.

Minx began chattering to him. “Hello baby brother I am your HyunJin noona but you should call me Minx noona like everyone else. And this here is your Jiyeon noona. You can call her Ji noona. Imo-halmeoni why noona why not unni?”

“Because he is a boy. Boys call older sisters noona and girls call them unni.”

“Ummappa he is bald. Will he have to wear a wig?”

I almost choked on my soup. Imo explained to her that he will soon grow hair.

“Are all babies so red umma? Minx was also very red.”  

“Sometimes Jiyeon. You and Soo used to call her ‘Strawberry’ till she got her normal coloring after a week.”  

“Really imo-halmeoni? I was called Strawberry?”

“Yes. And your ummappa used to call you Bastet, the Egyptian cat goddess.”

“And?”

“And you had long hair.”

“And?”

“And you were a very naughty little baby who kept her ummappa awake a lot of nights crying with colic.”

“What about Ji unni?”

“She was a quiet baby. She rarely cried Minx. We wouldn’t even know she was awake. She would just lie silently in her sleeping bag, watching everyone.” I answered this question.

“She is quiet even now ummappa.” Minx grinned at Jiyeon.

“Hmm yes. Like then, even now she cries when hungry. Ji, do you want to eat something?” I guessed her hunger from the looks she was giving puppy.

Jiyeon nodded.

“Come sit with me then. We’ll eat together.” Puppy called her. They shared the food. I’d finished my soup.

NICU nurse came to take Byong back. Imo handed him over. He had continued sleeping. She told us he might be shifted to the room that night.

With Byong gone, Minx moved to sit in puppy’s lap. He began feeding her also. Thankfully imo had packed a lot of food.

Kibum and Kai entered the room to this peaceful scene. Kai immediately climbed onto puppy’s lap as well. He pointed out what he wanted to eat and puppy fed it to him. I smiled at the sight. My puppy was a more loving and gentle father to Kai when compared to Taemin. Kibum tried to stop Kai from eating, but I called Kibum to my side. “Let them be Bummie. You just missed the baby you know. Are you staying for a while? Puppy can get him again after sometime.”

“How are you feeling now hyung? Ate something? Umma sent some seaweed soup for you.” Kibum kept his bag on the bed side table before coming over to my side.

“I just finished the soup imo brought. I will have umma’s a little later. You know how hungry I become.” I winked at him.

His eyes opened wide. “Again hyung? Wow you are so lucky.”

Imo came over to us. “What are you two talking about? What again?”

“Hyung you didn’t tell her?”

I shook my head and turned pink. “I didn’t know how to tell.”

“Tell me what Jinki. You are keeping secrets from your imo now?”

“Don’t pout imo. The time never seemed right to tell you earlier and then it didn’t matter anymore. Kibum you tell her.”

Kibum whispered in her ear about my feeding Minx and Byong. Imo’s small eyes went totally round and big in her shock. I blushed red.

“How cute! Jinki you are really something else altogether.” Imo squealed like a little girl.

“What’s cute umma?” Jiyeon called out.

“Ah nothing Ji. Jinki oppa might be released early if he heals well.” Imo tried to contain her delight and smoothly lied. I continued blushing.  

“So this is why unni was so particular that I feed you lots of seaweed soup after your surgery. I thought it was only to help you heal quickly. Does puppy know? Is that why he asked me to teach him how to prepare it?”

I nodded. Puppy’s ears perked up on hearing his name. He looked at my red face and guessed our whispered conversation. His eyes held promises for future as he briefly on the tip of the chopsticks he was eating from. I blushed even more.

“Can I watch?”

“Imo it’s not a show.” I protested.

“Silly I know it’s not a show. I am just trying to come to terms with the baby Jinki I held in my arms so grown up and a mother himself.” Imo began tearing up.

I reached out and wiped her tears. “Don’t cry imo, I’ll always be your little Jinki. I maybe taller than you now but one look of love from you and I become your baby again.”

“How cheesy oppa, ugh!” Soo exclaimed pretending to gag.

All of turned our heads and looked at her in shock. We had forgotten she was standing near us too.

She smirked at us and wiggled her brows. “I want to watch too. Or it is going on air with the rest of the stuff.”

“You little blackmailer! Wait till I am home. I will have my revenge.” I wagged my finger at her.

“You can have all the revenge you want. I am watching. That’s final.” She kissed my cheek. “You are so adorable oppa. It is unbelievable.”

I blushed redder if that was even possible and covered my face with my hands.

Thankfully my doctor arrived at that moment to check up on me. He saw my red face and wondered if I had high blood pressure or another medical problem. I shook my head. Kibum coolly informed him about my being teased for seaweed soup. Enlightenment dawned in Doc’s eyes and he chuckled.

“Were you successful when the baby was brought in earlier Jinki-ssi?”

“Yes, but the nurse was shocked. You should have prepared her better.”

“I tried to but she refused to believe me. Now thanks to you she will believe everything I say. Even if I call moon the new sun.” He winked at me.

Puppy asked Soo to sit with the children and came to stand beside me. Soo left Jiyeon incharge of them and began preparing coffee, one of the perks of my room.

Doctor told puppy to make me walk for a few minutes every few hours. I nodded, I knew the routine. Walking will help me heal and gain strength faster. But only for a few minutes at a time. I was not to sit for long periods. I could go home in three day’s time if there were no complications with me or the baby.

I looked at him with worry in my eyes. Puppy asked the question in my mind, “Do you expect any complications with the baby?”

“There shouldn’t be any. I know your daughter had jaundice when she was born, but every baby is different. Don’t start worrying. Your son weighs more, and is overall healthier. Unnecessary worry won’t help you.”

I nodded. Puppy held my hand and rubbed it to keep me calm. Minx came to us at that time and pulled at puppy’s free hand. He bent down to pick her up. She whispered something in his ear.

I smiled at Doc who was staring at her. “Meet our daughter Kim HyunJin who was born thanks to you.”

“How she has grown? It is such a surprise to meet her. Hello HyunJin how are you?”

“I am well thank you. How are you?” She replied while hiding her face in her father’s neck.

“I am also good, thank you. You must come to meet me more often. It is such a pleasure to see you.”

Minx looked at puppy and at his nod she shyly replied again, “I will. It is nice to meet you also.”

I beckoned Kibum to bring over Kai. It was a double surprise for Doc.

Kibum introduced Kai, “Meet Lee Jongin my son whom you helped me bear.”

“Kai this is the nice doctor who helped me bring you into this world.”

Kai stepped forward and shook hands with the doctor like a little gentleman. “Hello ajeossi, I am Lee Jongin, son of Lee Taemin and Kibum.”

“Oh my, what a little gentleman you are. I am so happy to meet you. Last I saw you were a baby in Kibum’s arms.”

Kai smiled brightly.

“This is a pleasant surprise for me today. I get to meet two beautiful children, growing up so well and healthy.” He wiped his eyes that had sprung tears of joy.

Imo brought him a glass of water and directed Soo to get him a chair. He sat down and gulped water. Meeting the two children together had overwhelmed him.

“Doc meet my imo, Park Dae Hei.”

“Hello I am Park Jeong-su. But please call me Leeteuk.” He bowed to imo.

“It is nice to meet you Leeteuk. Please call me imo. All of Jinki’s friends call me that.” Imo smiled at him.

“Oh no, I cannot presume such proximity. I don’t think I fall in his friends’ category. I am simply his doctor.”

“Ah Doc! After cutting me open twice you still think you are just my doctor? You have seen me cry. You have seen puppy cry all the time. You have even seen Kibum cry. Of course you are a friend. Do you think I just let anyone touch my body?” I wiggled my brows at him.

Everyone who understood the joke laughed at that.

“Ok imo. It is an honor to be considered Jinki-ssi’s friend. You really have two very brave nephews.” He pointed to Kibum and me.

Soo brought coffee for everyone. I recognized the new set of coffee mugs from home that we had purchased for New Year. Imo had really carried a lot of stuff in her bag. Doc was surprised to find a coffee mug in his hand and looked around my family.

“Doc get used to it. This is my family. Wherever we go it becomes our home.” I grinned at him. He grinned back.

Imo invited to sit with them in the sitting area and everyone migrated there, leaving puppy, Minx and me alone for a while. Imo had brought cookies and sandwiches from home which Soo had laid out on the table. They munched and talked.

Puppy and I looked at each other and smiled. He whispered to me, “Yeobo I think you just added another member to our extended family.”  

“He always looked so lonely to me jagi.”

“Mother hen.”

“But appa I thought ummappa was a tokki. How can he be a hen now? You are confusing me. I will go color with Kai. Key umma has brought coloring books and crayons.” Minx went off to Kibum who took out coloring books and crayons for both kids who sprawled on the floor to color with Jiyeon joining them.  

The NICU nurse entered again with a wide awake and fidgeting Byong. Soo made to get up and come over, but I shook my head and nodded towards the nurse and mouthed ‘at home’ to her. She nodded and remained seated. Puppy pulled the curtains to give me a modicum of privacy. Silently we followed the previous routine but I held Byong to my right this time. I had to alternate the s with each feeding so as to empty both sides in turn. I was thankful for puppy’s help in supporting Byong’s weight as the IV line was still attached to my right hand making it weak.

I looked at Byong with his tiny lips ling me, his eyes closed in contentment. His fingers fisted around puppy’s finger. I his cheek with the back of my left index finger. He opened his eyes and tried to focus, gave up after a few seconds and closed them again. Puppy kept his soles to keep him awake. Byong tried to feebly move them away but his father was persistent. He had his fill in less than five minutes. I smiled at puppy. He put Byong to his chest and burped him, wiping away the bit of colostrum that was burped out.

Nurse was standing still looking at us in amazement. Poor girl. I wondered if she would get used to the sight before I left the hospital.

Byong had fallen asleep again. Puppy took him to show to Kibum and Kai. Kibum took him from puppy who sat down to have his coffee.

“Aww Tae hyung will be upset. He has lost his bet. Byong looks like a mix of you and Jinki hyung.” Kibum said to puppy after studying the baby for a minute. Kai came over. Kibum told him to look only and not touch because the baby was sleeping.

“Omoni he is bald like I was when I was born. I am sure he will grow up to be like me.” Kai said to me. I nodded at him.

“Hello Byong. I am your Kai hyung. When you grow up I will teach you to dance. I hope you like dancing like me. Umma can I kiss him?” At Kibum’s nod, he kissed Byong’s head before going back to his coloring.

Minx came up to Kibum. “Key umma I also want to kiss him.” At Kibum’s nod, she kissed Byong’s cheek. “Oh his cheek is so soft. Like cotton candy.” She his cheek. “But he does not taste like cotton candy. Ummappa you know Sehun’s cheek tastes like cotton candy.”

“What? You kissed that dweeb’s cheek?” Puppy exploded again.

Minx climbed into his arms and kissed his cheek. “Appa you taste like ice cream. I like ice cream.”

“Are you sweet talking me Minx?” Puppy refused to be placated.

“Yes appa. Because you are so sweet.” She kissed his other cheek. “This cheek tastes like chocolate cookie.” She kissed his nose. “Your nose tastes like strawberry. Appa you taste like my favorite ice cream sundae.”

Puppy laughed at that. “Minx I know your angle now. But it will have to wait. Or you can ask imobu-harabeoji to get you one.” His eyes promised me private discussions on Sehun. I nodded.

Kibum watched puppy’s and Minx’s interaction with envy. I understood the reason well. Tae was a very strict father and such interactions between him and Kai were very rare. At least I didn’t remember any. I called Kibum to me. He walked over with Byong in his arms. Nurse took Byong back to NICU.

“Bummie can you lower my bed?”

Once my bed was lowered, I asked Kibum to sit in the chair near the bed. I reached out my hand to him. I held his hand rubbing its back. “Bummie not every father is the same. You can see how different appa and uncle are.”

“But hyung does he have to so harsh with Kai? Why can’t he be more like Jjong? Play with him, just laugh with him.”

“Every man is different Bummie. You are different from me. Tae is different from Jjong. If you want to compare Tae with anyone, compare him to Minho. Look around you and you will find so many worse examples of fathers and spouses. We must always count our blessings so we can be content. Be happy Bummie. For my sake.”

“You said it hyung. I am not like you. I can’t help but be envious of you. I know I shouldn’t be. You have suffered a lot in life. I am sorry, but I still envy you. I wish I was like you, that my life was more like yours. You have everyone’s love. I can’t even make my partner of 8 years love me. Even you don’t love me anymore.”  

“I will always love you Bummie. Always. Nothing can change that. You will always be my baby to me. Why focus on the bad times? Why not focus on the good times we had together? The fun, the joy we shared? And Tae does love you. He may not always express it. How long has it been since you stayed with your parents? I am sure he does not allow you to stay with them.”

“Yes, he did not allow me to go and stay even for Minseok hyung’s wedding.”

“He cannot stay away from you Bummie. He is a child at heart. You have to be the stronger and mature partner without making it obvious. He will always need your support.”

“But what about me hyung? Don’t I also need support? I get tired of being strong all the time, bearing with his temper tantrums. Then there are umma and appa with their own temper tantrums. I will go crazy one day managing the household.”

“You get back at them with your Divaness. Why don’t you pick up the phone and call me when you need support? Or visit me at home or talk to me in the hagwon? You know I am always there for you. Why do you think you are alone Bummie? You will never be alone as long as I am alive. But you will have to make the effort to let me know you need me. I will not ask or interfere otherwise.”

“But you have your own life hyung. You are busy too. I don’t want to trouble you. You no longer have any place for me in your life.”

“Silly boy. You are a part of my life. I will never be too busy to talk to you. If you say you are a trouble to me, then that means you consider me a trouble too. Choice is yours. Dang! I just lay down but I am hungry again.”

“Don’t sit up then. I will feed you umma’s soup like this only.”

Kibum got the soup and carefully fed it to me not letting me sit up. Doc said his goodbyes to us and left wishing me a speedy recovery. I knew he would be back next morning. Just as I was finishing up the last of the soup, Heechul and Siwon came.

“You lucky double-time umma, how are you feeling now?” Heechul asked me.

“I was feeling just fine till you came Cinder. Now I have this strong desire to whack you.” I quipped.

“Why whack me?”

“You are talking as if Byong is an alien’s baby. Who is Hee umma to Minx and Byong? You will be triple-time umma soon.”

“Hey you two stop your silly argument. Whack each other later. I want to see the baby. I haven’t laid my eyes on the baby dragon. I really want to see the product of this crybaby Jjong.” Siwon interrupted us.

“You are a fine one to talk Super. Just wait till it’s your time. We will see how much you cry. Heechul hyung, if Super doesn’t cry when you are carrying the cub, then be sure he doesn’t love you.” Puppy countered Siwon.

“Don’t listen to him Cinder. I will always love you. I don’t have to shed tears to prove that.”

“Actually Simba I won’t mind your shedding a few. I am sure you will look super cute.”

“There are children in the room you two.” I grinned at them.

Puppy went to get Byong. They went with him, too eager to wait for their first proper view. Nurse came to check my vitals. She injected a pain killer and other medicines into my IV catheter.

It was a little while before the three returned with Byong in puppy’s arms. Heechul was giggling like crazy.

He satisfied our curiosity immediately. “You should have seen them Jinx. Nurse refused to give Byong so Jjong turned puppy eyes at her and asked if she had a boyfriend. When she nodded, he offered to run a thorough background check on him for her. Simba offered to give her a printed report of it and for any future boyfriends she might have. She gave us Byong just for that.”

We all laughed at that. I grinned because laughing hurt. I was seriously surrounded by crazy people.

Puppy showed Siwon how to hold the baby and handed over Byong. The tall, well-built man turned to melted butter in a second. The awe and wonder on his face relayed his feelings. He turned to Heechul. “Cinder our baby will be this tiny, this fragile.”

Heechul held his arms under Siwon’s holding the baby along with him. “Soon Simba. Soon.” He kissed Byong’s head. “Hello Byong, I am your Hee umma. Welcome to the world. I am sure we will have loads of fun together. You can come to me if you don’t like Jinx umma.”

Heechul buried his head in Siwon’s shoulder and began sobbing. Siwon had tears in his eyes as well. Puppy immediately took Byong from him so they could comfort each other. Siwon wrapped his arms around Heechul and rubbed his back, crying silent tears with him.

Imo went to them and hugged them. “Don’t cry. You will also have a baby soon. Just wait till Jinki is on his feet again. Get ready Siwon. Heechul will stay at our home after the surgery.”

Heechul giggled through his sobs. “Imo where will you fit me in? Your house will explode.”

“Heechul if there is place in the heart, there will be space in the house too. I am your imo. You and the baby will live with me after the surgery.”

“Imo how will I live without my Cinder for two months? We will have to make other arrangements. Maybe Jinki, Jjong and kids can move in with us for the two months.” Siwon wept more.

“Silly man. Who made you Super? Of course you will also come to stay with Heechul and the baby. Soo get them some water to drink and make some coffee as well. Now both of you stop crying and enjoy the time with Byong before the nurse takes him back.” Imo dried their tears and got them to stop crying.

I gave a small salute to imo when she looked at me. Imo and uncle might not be rich in money but their richness was beyond compare.

Siwon and Heechul took turns holding Byong and making awestruck faces as he slept on.

What is it about a baby that turns grownups into little fools without a care? Puppy was holding my hand again. I told him we needed to give a special gift to Heechul for leaving us alone earlier. He nodded.

I again dozed off pondering the love overflowing in the room.