Officer Kim

I Will Protect You ©

7. OFFICER KIM

 

Next day I drove to uncle’s office in the afternoon. I don’t know why I was feeling stressed about saying bye to everyone. I knew most of them would be relieved, and smiled at the thought. There was a traffic junction approaching and I reduced the car speed. Just as I was about to take my foot off completely, I sneezed and in that split second my car hit the one in front. Oh my god! I had broken the tail light of the car in front. Its driver got out to check the damage and approached me with menace written all over his face.

I bowed to him and opened my mouth to apologize, but did not get a chance. He directed me to stop my car at the police station just beyond that traffic junction. I nodded and we both stopped at the police station. I apologized and offered to pay for the damages. Maybe he was in a bad mood that day, the victim of my sneeze refused to accept the payment. He wanted to lodge a complaint against me for irresponsible driving.

Oh man I was done for. At the age of 30 I was going to open my criminal account for a broken tail light.

“I will pay for the broken light and even get it repaired. It was a sneeze at the wrong time. I am a safe driver. You don’t have to lodge a formal complaint for a small matter like this.”

“You are a menace to the society. Which crazy person issued you a driving license? You should be locked up to keep others safe.”

His raised voice caught the attention of a police officer who was about to enter the station. He approached us to see what the problem was.

“What is the matter?”

“This man here is a menace to the society. He was driving drunk and hit my car at the traffic junction right there. I want him locked up.”

“No, no, no. I am not drunk. I just sneezed at the wrong time. I am sorry. Please accept my apology and let me get your tail light repaired.”

“Are you calling me a monkey? I don’t have a tail you drunkard.”

The police officer intervened.

“Allow me to investigate, please.”

He turned to me and even though he was shorter than me by a couple of inches I found myself shrinking in fright. I could not afford to go behind bars.

I bowed to the officer and began panicking, “I am not drunk. I just sneezed. Please believe me. I cannot afford to get locked up.”

“Calm down. Please allow me to smell your breath. Otherwise, we will have to go inside and test with a breathalyzer.”

I held my breath. I was not drunk. I don’t know why I held my breath.

“Your name?”

“Lee Jinki.”

“I am Officer Kim Jonghyun. Lee Jinki-ssi, please breathe. If you do not exhale how will I check?”

“Oh!” I turned beet red. I tried to remember what I had eaten for lunch. Then mentally whacked myself. How did it matter what I ate? What was more important was that I had not had anything but water to drink.

As he sniffed, I exhaled extra long.

He then sniffed the air around me.

“Nice perfume.”

“It’s Fahrenheit by Dior. Oh! That could be why I sneezed. May be I’ve become allergic to it. I am using it after a long time. You know you also smell good.” I rattled off the information in my nervousness. I tried to calm myself down. I didn’t want him to think I was drunk on the basis of my nonsense chatter.

“Thank you Lee Jinki-ssi.”

Then he turned to the victim of my sneeze. “Your name?”

“Park Byung Soo.”

“Park Byung Soo-ssi please exhale.”

He smelled my victim’s breath.

“How many bottles of soju did you have for lunch?”

“Only four. But what does that have to do with putting this menace to society behind bars?”

“Would you like to come inside with me and take a breathalyzer test?”

“What did I do? He is the one who banged into my car. He could have killed me.”

“And he has offered to pay for the damages. However, I think he should not. I think it’s your car that rolled back into his and damaged his car. It’s you who is driving drunk and lost control of your car.”

“But, but-”

“How about coming inside and taking a breathalyzer test Park Byung Soo-ssi? Let me note down your car’s number plate. Please tell me your phone number.”

The victim of my sneeze ran to his car, hopped in and drove off within a few seconds.

I stared open mouthed at the spot vacated by his car.

Then I turned to stare at the police officer.

He grinned at me and extended his hand. “Nice to meet you Lee Jinki-ssi. Would you like to come inside and calm down before continuing on your way?”

I shook hands with him in a daze, “Nice to you meet you too Kim Jonghyun-ssi, I mean Officer Jonghyun-ssi, I mean, umm how do I address you? I have never needed to address a police officer before.”

“Please call me Jonghyun.”

“Thank you Jonghyun-ssi. I do want to compensate that man for the damage I caused his car. I didn’t really mean to cause the accident. You don’t have to book me for it.”

“You don’t have to compensate him for anything. I am asking you inside only to help you calm down to avoid a bigger accident. Call me just Jonghyun.”

“Ok Just Jonghyun-ssi. Thank you for your help. I am calm now. I don’t wish to keep you away from your work anymore. I really need to be on my way.”

“You are not keeping me from work. I was signing out to go home. Can I offer you a cup of coffee?” he gave up trying to make me call him by his first name.

I didn’t want to accept but refusal would sound petty. After all, he had helped me out of a difficult situation.

“How about I take you for a coffee as thank you? How is that café?” I pointed to the one across the road.

“Sure. Let me just sign myself out. It will take only a minute or two.”

As he went inside, I called my uncle to let him know I will be late in reaching the office.

We crossed the street and entered the café together. There was a group of young police officers sitting just inside the door. They all looked like rookies to me.

“Hey Jjong, who is the pretty with you?” a few of them greeted the person beside me.

“Guys, this is Lee Jinki-ssi. Jinki-ssi these are my academy mates and now sadly my station mates too.”

I bowed to them. Some of them bowed in return. Officer Jonghyun guided us to a table for two in the far corner, away from his friends. I could feel their gazes on me. I sat down with my back to them. We ordered our coffees and I waited for him to open the conversation. I was at a loss of words after being called pretty by a group of younger men. He waited for the coffee to be served before talking.

“What do you do Jinki-ssi?”

“I work in an advertising agency. What about you? When did you pass out of the academy?”

“About six months ago. Are you responsible for the tv ads?”

“My company specializes in recruitment ads in newspapers. Why law enforcement?”

“I think I like helping people, like I did today. The uniforms are cool. I like keeping the city safe and people secure. Not to mention the perks and the pension plan.”

“Ah, so helping people, safe city and secure people are just eyewash. It is basically the cool uniform, perks and pension.”

He grinned.

“Guilty as charged. Moreover, if I hadn’t been a police officer, would I have met you today?”

“Are you flirting with me?”

“If I say yes?”

“I’d say stop. I am married.”

He looked crestfallen.

One of the young men from the group chose that moment to approach us.

“Are you Lee Jinki the elder brother of Lee Taemin?”

I nodded, puzzled.

“Hyung, I am so glad to meet you again. I had attended your wedding reception with my elder brother Sang-hoon. I also studied in the same school as Taemin sunbae-nim.”

“Oh you are Sang-hoon’s brother. How is he? I remember he attended my wedding also. Please convey my greetings to him.”

The young man sitting across from me was turning his head from me to his friend as he followed our conversation, his face looking more saddened by the confirmation of my marriage.

“He is doing well. He was very unhappy to hear that you have separated from your husband. After your wedding he was so full of admiration for you for following your heart and marrying the man you loved. You inspired many gay couples in our school to go publicly official.”

The sad face was replaced with a grinning one on hearing the words ‘separated’ and ‘gay’.

“I am still following my heart. I have left my husband for a girl.”

Both their jaws dropped down. I stood up, bowed to both of them, picked up the tab and paid it on my way out. While opening the door of the café, I looked back and winked at the seated man who still had to recover from his shock.

I exited the café with a smile and went to uncle’s office in a cheerful mood.