Promises

I Will Protect You ©

16. PROMISES

 

I stared at Jonghyun with a shocked expression. I had not expected this. He raised my hand to his lips and kissed my palm.

"Jinki I love you. I know you love me too but are scared to say it. You don't have to say anything. It's there in your heart. It’s there in your voice when you whisper to me at night. It’s there in your eyes when you watch me play with Minki. That's enough for me. Words are not necessary to express your love since you express it in so many different ways. I promise there will be no one else for me but you from this moment on. I promise I will love Minki as much as you do. I already do.”

He whispered his promises into my palm and kissed it every time he promised.

“I promise I will keep both of you safe. I promise to dedicate my life to your happiness. I promise to never make you cry. I promise to never speak harsh words to you. I promise to absorb all your pain and leave only smiles for you. I love you. I will always love you. In this life, in afterlife and in every life I get reborn. I promise to be the best father to Minki. I promise to be the best friend and partner to you. I promise you will never regret sharing your life with me. I love you Jinki. Please believe me."

He kissed his last promise into my palm before closing it and pressed it over my heart. I kept looking in his eyes. He smiled at me.

I bent forward and kissed his forehead. I believed every word he had promised. I believed he’d keep his promises.

Pecking his lips briefly to seal my unspoken words, I made him get up and sit next to me again.

We sat holding hands, looking at the stars, letting the calm of the night seep into us. I let his innocent love wash over me, cleansing me down to my soul. The dark night slowly became shining bright for me. I held his hand tighter, feeling light, afraid I will take wings and fly away. He brought our clasped hands to his lips and kissed the back of my hand. Shrugging off his jacket, he wrapped it around my shoulders and intertwined our fingers. I kissed his fingers and smiled at him.

We shared a soft kiss.

I chuckled and he laughed.

We put our heads together and looked into each other's eyes.

"Silly puppy. Making such big promises."

"Soft toki. Staying silent.”

“It won’t be easy.”

“The best things in life never are.”

“You may lose your job.”

“I will find another.”

“We can’t marry.”

“Doesn’t matter.”

“Minki may not accept you as her father.”

“I can father her as an uncle. It is just a label.”

“I will grow old before you.”

“Better for me. You can be the dom.”

“ert.”

“For you always.”

“Date a girl.”

“I haven’t since we became friends.”

“What? All those dating descriptions?”

“From before I met you.”

“Why?”

“Told you I kept comparing the last girl to you.”

“So what?”

“Realized I already loved you.”

“One meeting?”

“One look.”

“Crazy.”

“For you.”

We began walking again. This time we held hands as we took the meandering pathways again. We continued our cryptic discussion.

“I don’t have any money.”

“Good. I don’t either.”

“I can’t have any more children.”

“Minki is enough. Or I can have.”

“You?”

“Why not?”

“Hmmm.”

“Did you feed Minki?”

“Yes.”

“How?”

“Was on hormone therapy during the pregnancy to maintain it.”

“Still producing milk?”

“ert.”

He winked. “Always for you.”

“No.”

“Can I watch?”

“She doesn’t always do it. And it’s always before sleeping or under emotional stress.”

“If I am under emotional stress?”

“Will tickle you.”

“Merciless toki.”

“What if I change my mind?”

“I will wait for you to change it back again.”

“What if I marry someone else?”

“You won’t.”

“Why?”

“No one can love you as I do.”

We reached his bike. I made him wear his jacket again. When we reached near imo’s house, he parked his bike some distance away. We walked to the door.

“Sleep well sweet toki.”

“Don’t take unnecessary risks puppy.”

“Love you.”

“Hmmm.”

I went in and checked on Minki before lying down without changing clothes. I had a lot to think about but I was tired. It had been an exhausting day. Minki woke up and came to my room. She climbed in beside me, and I wrapped her in my arms. She lifted up my t-shirt to le me again, but stopped.

“Ummappa were you with Jonghoon ajeossi?”

“Why do you ask baby?”

“You smell of him.”

“Does he smell bad?”

“Good. You smell good of him.”

“Don’t mention this in front of anyone baby.”

“Why?”

“Then they won’t let ajeossi meet us anymore.”

“Jonghoon ajeossi good. Want to meet him.”

“Then keep this between you and me only.”

She pinky promised me and began ling to sleep. I rubbed her back wondering about her ability to keep her promise.

Her peaceful future depended on it.