JinHee Hagwon

I Will Protect You ©

38. JINHEE HAGWON

 

Our eventful time did not end there. The whole month passed by in a whirl of activity and recognition for my puppy.

Puppy’s report on databases was submitted by Siwon to the right authorities and he intelligently sent a copy to his father-in-law as well. Soon the report was being discussed in the ministry in Seoul.

As the Commissioner General, Heechul’s father was the vice-minister of Ministry of Government Administration and Home Affairs. He wisely recognized that this was his moment to shine. He was near retirement age and had to do something spectacular in the short time given to him. He publicly acknowledged Siwon as his son-in-law and credited the report to Siwon co-authored by puppy. At that moment, everyone was concerned about the heroism not the uality of the persons involved. That’s politics.

The strong support for the report from the ministry silenced all the superiors in Daegu who had sat on puppy’s report without doing anything. Who could afford to point a finger at Siwon then or upset him? All of them clamored to take credit for spotting the two bright young talents in the Daegu Police.

A few recommendations of the report were set in motion. One was DNA databases as puppy had pointed out DNA was unique to every individual and could be collected from anything, a used glass, a fingerprint, clothes or even a piece of hair. Another was facial recognition database. For DNA he suggested all high-risk categories. His main aim ultimately was to have DNA database of every birth in Republic of Korea. But, he placed urgency on collecting information on missing children first and checking nationwide orphanages to reunite lost children with their families. This was the first to be approved.

He had suggested addition of facial recognition to the national databases and to begin with the jailed criminals and then widen the base. This was also approved. Puppy had also suggested biometric database for all citizens in the near future as a deterrent to criminal activities. This point was put on hold as too ambitious.

Since the day we had bought the notebook and gotten an internet connection, puppy set aside an hour daily to work on it even though he was now working full time at the station. After the database report he began working with me on the hagwon project. He collected details for all the requisites and permissions necessary. We drew up a structure for student fee and instructor wages with imo’s help. We surveyed the markets for cost of equipments, furniture and other tools needed for the hagwon.

I added another feature to it. Our staff would be hired only from the families of Daegu Police personnel, like their wives, sisters or mothers, who had the required teaching experience but were non-earning members of the family. Puppy suggested English language classes for the Police personnel as well, if possible, totally free.

We presented the hagwon project report to Heechul and Siwon along with our proposal for Heechul to open and run it jointly with me. They looked at each other briefly and both said yes together. It was an ambitious project. We worried about leasing the right place and the lease cost. Other things would not pose much problem for us.

I had another idea. I knew my father would not let puppy’s recent ministry popularity pass by. I offered to approach my father for renting out my previous house to us, all of it, for no deposit only a monthly rental for a period of ten years or more.

Puppy quietly asked, “What would he want in return?”

There were two things we could offer my father. One was a job in the hagwon for Kibum. But most important was my next suggestion. Offer to print my father’s business as official sponsor for the hagwon. We all knew once it took off how prestigious the project would soon become and the publicity it would garner from the police department and the media. My father would give his right arm to be associated with such a prestigious project. Not to mention how it would lend him an image of benevolence that he always aimed for.

The money we saved on lease deposit could be spent on furnishings, equipments, course materials and staff wages. Siwon suggested that we ask for a 20 year rent contract at least and also a reduction in monthly rental. We all agreed with Siwon that if my father did not agree, we could easily get other even bigger names like Samsung, LG, Hyundai, etc to sponsor the hagwon. Our profit margins were slim but would be sufficient for our two families. We were opening the hagwon more for police community service than to get rich.

Thus our JinHee Hagwon was born.

It made Heechul and me more than just gay partners of two police officers. We would soon be prominent police community service providers.

As anticipated, my father called to congratulate puppy for the mention of his name by the vice-minister. He invited all of us to dinner at his house on Saturday. With the hagwon project in mind, I got him to extend the invitation to Siwon and Heechul as well.

Puppy and I spoke with Siwon about Jongin’s abuse by Taemin and Kibum. It was decided he would discreetly warn Taemin and Kibum about hitting Jongin ever again citing Domestic Violence Prevention Laws. We hoped that would be enough to get them to treat Jongin better.

We purchased thank you gifts for the dinner. Puppy insisted on buying a French perfume for umma as his token of appreciation for her visits and soups when he was recuperating. For Jongin we bought a remote controlled toy police car. And for Kibum, a general home décor item.

Imo mock pouted, “You did not get me any token of appreciation for my hospital visits. I am not important to you.”

Puppy pinched her cheeks, “My dear imo, you have got me, what better gift can I give you.”

Minki got a ribbon. She and Jiyeon tied it around puppy’s waist and made a bow. “Now you are a gift appa. Imo-halmeoni here is your gift.”

Puppy went after her and caught her. He wrapped her in the same ribbon and gave her to me, “Here is your gift toki.”

He leaned and whispered for my ears alone, “I want to give you another one yeobo. Just tell me when you think the time is right.”

“I heard that appa. How can you give ummappa two gifts and not a single one to me? I want a Barbie dressing table.”

“Minx you have really big ears.”

“No, I don’t appa. See my ears are small.”

Everyone was laughing at their exchange.

“Can I give your ummappa two gifts if you get your Barbie dressing table?”

“Can I play with ummappa’s gifts?”

“Yes you can.”

“Give them soon appa.”

“Your heard her toki. Two.”

“One. Maybe.”

“Three.”

“One.”

“Four.”

“One.”

“Five.”

Soo interrupted our counting, “Are you discussing what I think you are? Umma didn’t you say oppa had a difficult time with minx?”

Imo caught on immediately, “It may be different this time Soo. You were a Caesarean but Jiyeon was normal. Each one is different.”

I blushed red. “Zero, Puppy.”

“Ok you win toki. One.”

“But not now.”

“I know. Whenever you say the time is right.”

Imo and Soo high fived as if it was their personal achievement. I couldn’t believe I had agreed to have another child. After his surgery, there was no way I could even think of my puppy risking his life to carry our baby. I know he was very willing to, even eager to carry our child. But I couldn’t risk his life. I understood he did not have any idea how risky it was even for me to carry a baby. If he knew he would never for a second think of our having a baby.

He kissed my hand, “Thank you toki.”

Door bell rang and it was little Sehun to play with the minx as had become their daily routine. They went to play around Puppy’s bike.

“Puppy I want background check report on Sehun and his family. Why didn’t you tell me about him before Siwon and Heechul’s dinner?”

“What happened?”

“Our minx wants to marry Sehun when she grows up. Stop laughing. She says it’s because he is cute. Did you call the boy cute?”

“Yes, he is a cute boy. I have already run the background checks and the Oh family is all good. But yeobo he is only four. I think he is more interested in my bike than in our daughter. Don’t worry.”

“You are not to call any more boys cute in front of her.”

Soo looked at us in shock, “Is this how you both are going to be when she grows up and boys take an interest in her?”

We nodded.

“God save those boys.”

“Soo you better pray for yourself and any boy that shows interest in you first.” Puppy .

“Oppa no boy is willing to even talk to me after your presentation in school.”

“Good you need to concentrate only on your studies for now.”

“Soo what about the boy who is taking tuitions from me? I think the only reason he is doing so is to visit the house. He is quite intelligent,” I probed.

“I ran a background check on him and his family too. Don’t worry toki. Good family. Father is an established businessman. Mother housewife. One older brother studying in USA. House in a good residential area. They have three cars, one dog two maids and a chauffeur. Want to know their address? The boy has no bad vices. No previous or present girlfriends.”

“Umma tell them to stop it.”

“Carry on the good work boys. Soo you need to only study right now. Do you have any idea what your father will do if he comes to know? Get in a good college. Finish your post graduation and then think of boys.”

“I am just friends with him umma.”

“We know.” All three of us said together.

Puppy continued, “We know Soo. We know you. But I also know how boys think at this age.”

“How puppy? All I thought about was studies and getting into med school. What did you think of?”

“You are an anomaly toki. I think you didn’t even know you were a boy till you were in college.”

“Mean puppy. I am not an anomaly. I was just studious with a one-track mind.”

“Monorail toki.”

Minx who had come in with Sehun to drink something climbed on my back, “I want a ride on the monorail ummappa.”

I picked up Sehun too and walked away making weird train sounds, winking at Soo. I had successfully diverted the attention from her and her boyfriend.

Next day I received legal papers sent by Minho’s father. They gave Minki’s full custody to me and Minho’d signed away all legal rights to Minki as her biological father. We were shocked to read the papers, all except puppy who was grinning. Unknown to me, puppy gave Minho’s phone recording to Siwon. Puppy told us how Siwon called up Minho’s father using his official position as Superintendent of Daegu Police and also the son-in-law of the Commissioner General of Police. He informed them about receiving a verbal complaint against Choi Minho and family for spousal abuse with a recording of Minho’s phone call from USA. He warned, if they did not stop all contacts with me and Minki and stay from us, it would become a written complaint and proceedings against the family would begin and that would mean Minho would have to return to Korea and face a prison term.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief. First thing I did was to hold a family meeting after dinner and consult everyone from minx to uncle about changing minx’s name legally. Minx said to give her a girl’s name this time. Her name was unique but she was teased a lot in school because it was a boy’s name. I kissed her and apologized and told her she could select her name herself.

“Gongju.”

“Really minx you want to be called a ‘princess’? Isn’t being one enough?”

“Yes ummappa. I want my name to be Gongju.”

“Are you sure you want to be called Kim Gongju?”

Puppy looked at me in shock. I smiled at him. Of course it would be Kim. She was his daughter and he was not going to wriggle out during his life time.

Imo asked to add our syllables and make a name for her. I was at a loss but the girls quickly picked up the suggestion and began throwing names at us.

Kim JinJong. No it was a boy’s name again.

Kim YunJi. Had possibilities. It was noted down.

Kim HyunJi. Was even better. It was noted on top.

Kim JiHyun. Same. Noted alongside.

Kim JongJin. Boy’s name and too much like Jongin. Rejected.

Kim JinHyun. No. Boy’s name again.

Kim HyunJin. Noted on top.

Kim HyunKi. Boy’s name again.

I presented the final list to everyone – HyunJin, JiHyun, HyunJi, YunJi. When everyone nodded, we repeated the names for minx to select. She asked for them to be repeated a few times till she memorized all of them. Then thought for a few minutes before giving her choice and the reasons.

HyunJin, because it was similar to Soo unni, Soo-Jin and her favorite harabeoji, Ho-Jin and was like part of her best friend’s name, SeHun and had her appa’s Hyun and ummappa’s Jin.

I stared at her. Was she really a little girl or an old woman pretending to be a little one?

Puppy wiped mock sweat from his forehead at her convoluted thinking.

Jiyeon pouted as the name was nothing like hers. Puppy promised to name our next one like her name. Uncle stared at him, “You decided to have more kids?”

Soo interjected, “Appa be thankful they decided on only one. Jjong oppa wanted five.”

“Jinki is already over 30. How did you plan on him carrying five?”

“Ummm, uncle I was planning on carrying them all,” puppy answered in a low voice.

Uncle burst into laughter that he had a hard time controlling for a long time. Puppy started to pout. I rubbed his back to calm him down. I knew he was feeling nervous. This was the first time uncle had heard about our wanting to increase the size of our little family. We considered uncle the head of our family and his opinion mattered a lot. We waited with baited breath for him to stop laughing.

“I’ll tell you what. Have twins and be done with the whole pregnancy thing at one go.” Uncle said through his laughter.

We stared at him and then at each other. Double trouble? I had my doubts about my ability to handle two young ones together. How would I feed both of them?

“Jinki I am here to help raise them. Don’t look so worried.” Imo tried to erase my worry.

Puppy held my hand, “Toki don’t over think. I will carry them. And we all will look after them. It’s not as if we are having them tomorrow. You let me know whenever you are ready for them.”

“I want one brother and one sister,” piped up the minx.

“I want two sisters. No boy oppa. I want to dress them as dolls,” Jiyeon made her choice clear.

“Yes, yes. I also want two sisters. Unni we will dress them together. One for you and one for me,” little old minx changed her mind immediately.

“I want peace. How will I study with crying babies at home?” Soo worried.

I held up my hands. “We are not having a baby right now. It will be some time. Puppy has to recover completely first, he still has a few months to go. Then there is the new hagwon project. It has to be smoothly running. Soo you will most probably be in college. Minx no brother or sister till you learn how to dress yourself for school. We will discuss the details of gender when the time is right. And no pestering or teasing me about it till then. And absolutely no discussing this with Taemin, Kibum and Jongin. If a word is breathed out of this house, we are not having any baby.” I looked at Jiyeon and minx as I said my last condition. They both nodded.

I took a big breath in. Everyone was grinning at me. This was one crazy family and we will be adding baby dragons to make it crazier.

Heechul called me next day with a strange request. “Jinki can you and Jjong have triplets? You keep two and give one to us. Please don’t say no right now. Think it over.”

“Dear Cinderella, it’s not in our hands. It will have to be discussed in detail with the doctor and then only any decision can be made. Why don’t we talk about it later? Let us first get the hagwon off the ground. The whole baby procedure is expensive and we need to be set on our feet before adding to the family. If triplets are possible, we will give you one baby. I do not have to think that over. But please do not get your hopes up immediately. You do not understand many things about it. Have patience. We will talk when the time is right.”

“Thank you toki. Thank you so much. Since the day your minx called me Hee umma I have wanted so badly to have a child too. But adoption for gay couples is not possible. Now when Jjong told Simba about it, I just couldn’t stop myself. You have obliged me for life.”

“Hush there is no obligation in friends. The baby can’t have better parents than you two I am sure. Now tell me what are you planning to wear for the dinner at my father’s?”

Dinner at my father’s was very interesting to say the least. After the introductions, everyone got down to their usual business.

Both the Divas, Kibum and Heechul, were dressed in pink. There was even a brief staring contest which Heechul won on the basis of being a Diva for a longer period of time. Umma wanted to participate in the Diva contest, but I held her back. She paid heed only on the force of the perfume puppy had given her.

I had caught Kibum’s brief look of jealousy but he had tamed it when he heard the reason behind the expensive gift. Of course, he had not bothered to visit puppy at all or even called to enquire. He was mollified when puppy gave him his own gift. Siwon and Heechul had brought champagne and flowers. Flowers were presented to umma and champagne to appa. There were chocolates for Jongin.

Appa opened the champagne to toast puppy on his promotion and media success. I wanted to remind him that this was the same person whom he had a few months ago called ‘two-bit policeman’. Puppy and I exchanged glances and he was remembering the same too. We grinned at the hypocrisy. Taemin got over his initial hesitation and participated in the conversation with gusto. He was often wrong about the comments he made but no one bothered to correct him. Taemin would be Taemin.

Kibum put on music. Ah ha. The Diva dance battle. It was clear because it was girl dance music. Thankfully all the girls also began dancing, diverting attention of the two Divas. Kibum was a better dancer and Heechul was a sore loser. Kibum wouldn’t have enough courtesy to let the guest win. It was a matter of Diva honor after all. I smiled at how silly both were at that moment.

Taemin began to dance with Kibum. They were one dance crazy couple. Imo pulled up uncle to dance with her. Umma looked at appa but he ignored her and danced with Jongin. I sent minx to dance with umma. Siwon looked from the sidelines for some time and then couldn’t ignore Heechul’s crooked finger call to dance. Honestly, they needed to socialize more.

Puppy looked at me but I shook my head. He came to stand beside me and whispered, “Toki why not?”

“I don’t feel like jagi.”

“Come on yeobo been a long time since I saw you dance.”

I went to the cd collection. Hmmm, Taemin and I had the best dance music collection at one time, especially of English songs. I picked out the cd with our special dance numbers. Puppy wanted a dance, let’s see the Divas beat me with this number. I picked up one of my fave dance songs from my school time. Soon the initial notes of Footloose filled the air.

I let my feet do the talking. The Divas quickly cleared the dance area. I was sure Kibum had not even heard this song. Tae joined me midway. I laughed. I’d known he wouldn’t be able to resist. Puppy clapped and cheered me on.

I next rooted around for my favorite dancer’s cd. Where Taemin liked Michael Jackson, I was a John Travolta fan. Tae had given me a special custom mixed cd on one of my birthdays. I started with Saturday Night Fever. Even Tae did not dance it with me. This was a different style of dancing altogether.

Puppy looked on with open eyes first and then grinned at me. I went to him as the track changed to You are the one I want  from Grease. I could make out appa’s disapproving look but who cared. I wanted to dance with my puppy as he was the only one I wanted.

Then we shifted to John’s Texan dancing. I’d learned the two-step, hoedown and line dances from his Urban Cowboy. That got everyone interested. Soon all were shaking their legs to the western country music following my lead. From minx to my father, everyone was laughing as they tried to swing, twist, and kick in the air during the line dance.

By the time we stopped dancing, hunger pangs had struck. The ice had really broken and dinner was more comfortable and easy going. After dinner, as kids played games, we sat down to talk with my father about the hagwon.

I let Siwon explain the hagwon project to my father. I didn’t want them to know it was my brainchild and baby. I had learnt to listen to my instincts. When Siwon came to the terms of the house lease, the atmosphere became tense again.

Taemin said, “Siwon-ssi, it is possible only if Kibum is made a partner in the hagwon. Why don’t you consider him for Heechul-ssi’s partner instead of hyung?”

Heechul crossed his leg in a leisurely manner before responding, “I am sorry Taemin-ssi, this hagwon is only for family members of the police community.”

“How is Jinki hyung part of the police community?”

“He is Jonghyun’s partner.” Heechul continued in a nonchalant manner. Siwon let him take the lead with Taemin. Heechul’s Diva attitude was what was needed then.

“Kibum is brother-in-law of hyung that makes him also a part of your community.”

I discreetly put my hand on puppy’s back and rubbed it to keep him calm. I knew his inclination to defend me with my family. That way I could also hold his shirt to keep him seated.

Heechul turned to my father and spoke directly to him ignoring Taemin, “It is alright if you do not wish to be associated with this path breaking project which is going to be the biggest police community project of the decade. I have already had a conversation with the head of Samsung Group, who is a good friend of my father, for sponsoring our project. It is only on Jinki’s insistence that we give you the opportunity to associate with our project that I brought it up tonight. We apologize for taking up your time.”

Before my father could speak, Heechul turned to me and smiled, “Jinki are you satisfied, do you have anything to say?”

I grinned at him and shook my head, “No Heechul. Thanks so much.”

“Can I sign the contract with Samsung now?”

“Sure Heechul. Thanks for giving appa the opportunity. I am much obliged.”

“But I did not say anything.” Appa interjected.

Heechul turned to him with raised eyebrows, his expression bordering on bored, “Yes abeoji? I hope you don’t mind my calling you abeoji as you are my dear friend Jinki’s father and my own father is in Seoul?”

“You can call me abeoji. I did not give you my answer yet.”

“I thought your answer was given abeoji. Taemin-ssi made clear your terms and they are not acceptable to me. When I can get a sponsor at my terms, why should I take on a new unknown partner?”

“For how long do you want the house?”

“At least 20 years. But it’s alright abeoji, I think a hagwon in a commercial district will be better. I have my eyes on an empty commercial building.”

“Heechul at least give appa a chance to speak. I know you are in favor of Samsung Group, but will there be any harm in seeing the house?” I mock pouted at Heechul.

“My apologies abeoji. Please continue.”

“What are you offering Heechul?”

“Your individual name or your company name will be printed as our sponsor wherever possible. You will be our official sponsors in Daegu only for the period of time we use your property for the hagwon. I will take the property deposit-free for 20 years and will pay a monthly rental not exceeding the current market rate. I will rent the entire property not just one floor.”

“You drive a hard bargain.”

“It is basically community service that we are doing abeoji. If this hagwon was a business venture, I would not need a sponsor.”

“Alright. You have a deal. Let’s draw up the contract tomorrow.”

“But appa I don’t want this. It is my property and I do not want to rent it out at these terms,” Taemin protested.  

I felt the sudden chill in the atmosphere and puppy tensed up beside me. Imo and uncle looked sharply at Tae and appa. I sat relaxed and unaffected.

“We’ll discuss this tomorrow morning Tae,” Appa silenced him with a warning glare. He then looked at Heechul, “Let’s meet tomorrow in my office at 11 am to finalize the contract.”

Heechul nodded and handed his card to appa, “Thank you abeoji. Here is my card. If you change your mind, just call me and let me know.”

“I will not change my mind.”

Taemin sulked. Kibum got up to prepare coffee, imo went to help him. Appa, Heechul and Siwon discussed politics. I rubbed puppy’s back to relax him. He took out his phone.

hate your family yeobo. Sorry.

Love u jagi. Let it go.

How can u b relaxed after what your bro said

I expected it n was prepared for it

Your bro tried to cut u off your own project

Jagi don’t raise your bp. Not worth it. u wil get used to it

Feel like beating him up. Greedy brat

As long as I hav u n minx I have my world with me. rest does not matter.

Did u n heechul-ssi practice this before?

No. we adlibbed.

Kibum and imo entered with the coffee. We put our phones away before imo could comment.

After serving coffee, Kibum hesitantly asked Heechul, “Can I teach Maths in your hagwon?”

“We won’t pay much. What are your academic qualifications and do you have any experience?” Heechul asked pretending cluelessness.

They discussed the details and Heechul agreed, making Kibum smile happily.

Taemin piped up like the spoilt brat he was, “I want to make you a partner in the hagwon and you are asking to work as a teacher. You will never rise up in class Kibum.”

I really pitied Kibum at that moment as he’d immediately teared up at Tae’s insensitive and hurting words. “Tae mind your manners. We have company.”

“Stop it hyung. I am not a kid.”

“Then don’t behave like one.” I got up and signaled everyone to take our leave. Tae was spoiling for a fight. And it wouldn’t take much to have a big verbal fight in this family. “We’ll take our leave. It’s well past minx’s bed time.”

Heechul called me later from their car, “Jinki I think you are adopted. There is no way you can be a product of that family.”

I began laughing and confirmed with imo. “Imo says I am not adopted. I am definitely their first born.”

“Pity.”

“Heechul hyeongbu was like Jinki when he was young. They are definitely from the same mold.” Imo called out.

I looked at her in horror. “No way imo. I am not going to be anything like appa when I am old.” I got very worried. I looked at puppy for support and comfort.

“Heechul-ssi, we will say good night. Toki is too horrified at the prospect of him and his father being alike,” Puppy took over.

Heechul laughed and bade good night. He didn’t understand my concern and worry.

“Jinki stop worrying. You are not like him completely. You are like him only in the case of a big heart. When he is not having a blind spot for Taemin, hyeongbu is usually a very nice person.” Imo tried to pacify me.

 “Imo I want to be like uncle when I grow older, not like appa.”

“Then you will be like uncle Jinki. It’s in your hands. I am worried about Kibum. Tae was really angry.”

“I advised Kibum to sleep with umma tonight. I hope he takes it. Appa will calm down Tae in his own way tomorrow.”

“Jinki better read the contract carefully before signing it. Tae wants you out of the project. You need to watch out.”

“Heechul and I will be careful uncle. If we have any doubt, we can always have a lawyer go through it first.”

Next day, we met with appa and a cheerful Taemin. After reading the contract carefully we signed it.

JinHee Hagwon was official.