Phone Connection

I Will Protect You ©

18. PHONE CONNECTION

 

Puppy kept his word. He got his work shift changed to day time. I apprised imo about the phone call and Minki’s devastated response to it. She was okay with my handling of the situation.

“You know Jinki, Jonghyun will make a much better father for Minki than Minho can ever dream of.”

“Imo, I can see that. But the fact that Minho is her biological father cannot be denied. And life is not so simple that we can pick and choose who we want in life.”

“Why not Jinki? You and Minki have a right to have a stable happy family life too. I am not saying you can’t spend your life with us. But if Minki can have what Soo and Jiyeon have – a good father, than you should make an attempt for it. Don’t let this opportunity to be happy pass you by. You deserve it.”

“Knowing appa do you really think things will be so easy imo?”

“Jinki, if you have a loving partner by your side, even difficulties appear easy. I know because your imobu has made our life a piece of cake. This is why even after all these years and every hardship, I still love him so much. I saw your young imobu in Jonghyun from the first time I met him. Grab on to him and don’t let him go Jinki. You may never get this chance to be happy again. He is a good man. He will keep Minki safe. And protect you also. You like to be strong. Others might be fooled by your show of strength. But I know you better Jinki. I have taken care of you since you were just a few days old. I know your heart better than unni and hyeongbu.”

I listened to her silently.

“You need Jonghyun. Don’t convince yourself otherwise. A bicycle needs two wheels to run. You cannot live your life alone without the strong support of someone who loves you. Don’t worry about what anyone will think or say. No one helped you when you needed help. Make your own choice to be happy.”

“Imo, why me? Jonghyun can get anyone in this world. So many better persons are there for him. Why me? I am not worthy of him.”

“Why not you? I think you are the best person for him. You are handsome, smart, intelligent, good at everything you do, strong, understanding, steadfast, loyal and loving. What else does anyone want in a life partner? He is wise beyond his years. A simpering girl will never hold his interest with her non-stop chatter about clothes and other unnecessary things. Minho and your family have for years underestimated you as a person and undermined your self-confidence. Don’t think the way they do. You are worthy of Jonghyun in every way. He cannot find anyone better than you in his entire life.”

“I’ll think about it imo. For now, Jonghyun will be spending more time with Minki to keep her mind diverted from Minho and his departure. I don’t want her to cry anymore over him.”

“Jinki, once Minho leaves, your house will be free again. What do you plan to do? Rent it out or live there yourself?”

“I can’t live there imo. Too many bad memories. Either I will sell the whole building or put all of it on rent. Don’t know as yet. But moving in it is not possible for me. Can I invite Jonghyun for dinner?”

“Better than that. Why don’t you and Minki go out for dinner with him? Or you go out alone with him and leave Minki at home with us.”

“No, no imo. I am not going anywhere without Minki. Without her the whole purpose of dinner is defeated. Will uncle be okay with Jonghyun spending more time with us here?”

“I will talk to him and tell him what happened. I am sure he will understand. Don’t worry.”

I hugged her and kissed her cheeks. “You are the best imo in the world you know that? Maybe I should start calling you umma instead?”

“No, no. I am too young to be called umma by you. I like my youth too much. You can call me noona if you want.”

Jonghyun, Minki and I went out for dinner that night.

“Jjong I will meet you there.”

“I will pick up both of you.”

“Car would be more comfortable for Minki.”

“Toki, if going on a bike is the only way I can get to feel your hands on me, then I have the right to demand it.”

“erted puppy.”

“Always, for you.”

“Seven?”

“Six thirty.”

Minki was very excited at the prospective dinner. When she heard his bike, she ran out to meet him. I watched from the window as he swung her around in a circle before lifting her up and seating her on his shoulders. She was laughing in glee and clutching his hair as he carried her inside.

Imo smiled at me and I smiled back at her. I had not told her that Jonghyun had confessed to me and I had accepted him already. He gave chocolates to everyone.

“Bribing imo puppy? Imo don’t be fooled by this puppy. You must show him that I am worth much more.”

“Imo should you and I discuss bride price?” He laughed with imo.

“Jonghyun we have the opposite in Korea,” Imo reminded him.

“But I like the idea of bride price for toki. He is priceless by the way.”

“Hush puppy. Stop yelping nonsense.” I admonished him, trying to keep my blushes at bay.

“Ajeossi, what would be my bride price?”

“Minx I am not giving you to anyone. You are even more precious.”

The easy banter and laughter flowed through the dinner. Puppy was right we should have done this long time ago.

As we talked on the phone that night after Minki had fallen asleep and snuggled into me, I thanked him for being himself. We talked about our respective day and planned for next day’s dinner.

We slept still holding the phones to our ears, unwilling to break the small connection they offered.