One Very Lucky Nephew

I Will Protect You ©

5. ONE VERY LUCKY NEPHEW

 

When ten days had passed without my returning home, umma and the whole family came to imo's place to take me back. It was a Sunday and we all were relaxing with a movie at home, planning for a dinner out. Uncle tried to hide his displeasure on seeing everybody descend together. Under his breath he called everyone vultures except umma. None but me heard it because I was sitting next to him. I straightened my back to face them. Imo squeezed my hand to give me silent courage.

Jongin ran to me and climbed into my arms calling out for his omoni to return home. Ah! So they had coached him for this emotional blackmail. Appa had done the same for my mother when Tae and I were kids. Did he really think they could trick me so easily? I had learnt under him and Minho - both master tricksters.

Kibum hugged me and began his own imploring. "Hyung we miss you. Please come back. The house is not the same without you and Minki," cried the person who had invited Minho for dinners.

"Don't cry Kibum. I had never meant to stay with you for so long anyway. Stop crying or you will scare the children."

Kibum sniffed a few times and went to hug imo and the girls. He picked up Minki who was very happy to see her Key umma.

Umma handed a big bag to imo and came to hug me. "Are you okay son? I have been so worried about you."

"I am fine umma. I am so sorry that you are facing difficulties at home because of me."

"It’s okay. Don't you worry about it."

After everyone had tea and ate something, imo asked Kibum and Taemin to take the kids inside so she and uncle could talk with umma and appa. Kibum looked at Taemin who spoke up for both of them, "We are going to stay. We are part of the family too and if affects us as well."

Uncle spoke up, "Taemin don't worry we are not discussing money and neither are we sending your 'burden' back with you." He made finger quotes with the word burden.

Kibum and Taemin had enough grace to blush.

Appa immediately protested, "What are you saying Ho-jin? Minki and Jinki can never be a burden on us."

"But Daewon-ssi I never took Jinki or Minki's name. How can the son and grandchild of the family ever be considered a burden?"

Appa was rendered speechless for a moment. Kibum regained his composure and began protesting. Uncle just looked at him with an arched brow and he fell silent.

"Remember Kibum this is not your home. This is my home and when I am talking I do not like children interrupting me. You are Taemin's life partner, not Jinki's guardian. Try for some humility, it will do you good. Now I suggest you either leave with the children or go home. I will not disrespect Jinki by talking about him in front of you."

Seeing this fierce side of our usually gentle uncle, Kibum and Taemin beat a hasty retreat to be with the kids. Uncle then faced my parents and waited for them to open the conversation.

"Ho-jin, send them back with us. It does not look good that they stay with you when we are his parents?" Appa began.

"Daewon-ssi, are you more concerned about the people or your son?"

"Of course, my son! But we cannot forget we are living in a society."

"The society didn't matter to you when you got him married to Minho or when he had a child. Why now when he wants to leave Minho?"

"I just want him to be happy. I want Minki to have her father."

"Take a look at Jinki. He is your son. Yet you want him to live with a person he is running away from. You think it is not important that he preferred to run away from your home with his daughter than go back to live with Minho?”

“He was over-dramatic as usual. He needs to be a responsible parent. Running away never solves any problems. He needs to sit and work out solutions with Minho.”

“And what is the problem Daewon-ssi?”

“The usual petty ones – Minho drinks, does not give him money, does not treat him well. Jinki cannot break up his marriage for such reasons. I have spoken with Minho. He has promised to change. Ho-jin let them work on their marriage and make it better.”

“Daewon-ssi what is your opinion on ?”

I looked at uncle in shock. How did he know? There was no way anyone could know in Daegu.

“What has that to do with Jinki and Minho?”

“It has everything to do with them. Do you know what I would do to anyone who dared to look at my daughters with bad intentions? I will break every bone in their body.”

I let out a silent breath in relief. Uncle was not talking about Seoul.

“And I will help you Ho-jin in breaking their bones.”

“What about little Minki?”

“What about her, what has this to do with Minki? You are confusing me now.”

“Are you really that easily confused Daewon-ssi? Did you break the bones of Minho and his friend?”

“Why should I? What have they done? Minho has always treated your daughters with respect.”

“And Minki?”

“So you prefer to believe the lies Jinki is spreading to get out of his marriage?”

“Daewon-ssi, I will ask you for the first and last time to not call Jinki a liar in front of me. Have you looked at him in the past year? Have you asked him why he stopped smiling? Why he looks like a ghost? Why he is a bag of bones?”

“Ho-jin, do not make a mountain out of a molehill.”

“What will it take for you to believe Jinki? Lost innocence of a little girl? Are you really that heartless Daewon-ssi?”

“I am not heartless Ho-jin. Do not assume to know things about me and my family. Jinki in his foolishness has purchased properties in the name of Minho and his money is tied up with Minho too. He needs to go back till I sort out the matter and get everything back from Minho and his family.”

“My daughter is more important to me than all the money in the world. I will not go back to Minho ever. I repeatedly asked you to sell those properties since Minki was born. But you wouldn’t listen to me. I will get back the cash that is there in Minho’s name. But I will not go back to him. Not even for one second.” I had to speak out.

“What about the farm lands that I and my business partners purchased around Incheon, whose papers are with Minho’s father? I need to get those papers back too.”

“Did I ask you to purchase all that land? You found it easier to make Minho’s father do all the work for you over there. How many times I have asked you to sort out the matters so things are clear cut and you have the papers for your properties? You cannot sacrifice my daughter for your business deals.”

“Jinki I am not sacrificing anyone for business, least of all Minki. I am just asking for a few months more to sort out everything.”

I tried to speak more but I went into a strong coughing fit. I could not stop. Uncle went to my medicine box and got me an anti-depressant. He understood the amount of stress I was under at that moment. Imo got me some water and handed me the inhaler too. Umma came to sit beside me and patted my back.

“Daewon-ssi, Jinki and Minki are not going back to Minho. Not as long as I am alive. I will repay you for your business losses even if it takes me my whole life. But I am not sending Jinki back.”

“You have two daughters Ho-jin. Don’t talk nonsense. Dae Hei drum some sense into your husband. Do charity only when you can look after your own home.”

“Daewon-ssi, do not test my patience. You have no right to tell me what I can or cannot do. You are my elder because of which I am still showing you respect. Don’t ever call Jinki charity. He is not leaving this house. Dae Hei, call Taemin and Kibum. I want to speak with them. Let us end this discussion here. With all due respect to you Daewon-ssi, please allow me to let your younger son and his partner know a few facts about Jinki.”

Appa was turning red in the face with suppressed anger. I began to fear for umma.

When Taemin and Kibum came, uncle asked them to sit. Taemin was sulking and Kibum was looking highly displeased with the turn of events.

“Taemin, what makes you think you are Jinki’s keeper? Who asked you to pay for Jinki’s maintenance?”

Taemin began sputtering around for words. He had not expected a direct attack from uncle.

“Ho-jin you have no right to talk to Taemin like this.” Appa spoke in Tae’s defense.

“I have every right to talk to Taemin as I see fit, as Jinki’s imobu.”

“When have I said I am hyung’s keeper? I have, however, helped looked after him and Minki since he came to stay with us in March. Kibum is not Minki’s nanny to take care of her. But he has done so every day while Jinki hyung took his so-called accounting classes and then went to work from morning till evening.”

Uncle held up his palm to stop Taemin in his speech.

“Thank you Taemin. That’s all I wanted to know. Kibum do you have anything to add to what Taemin has said?”

“I apologize on behalf of everyone uncle. We did not mean any disrespect to you or hyung. All of us love hyung very much, especially me. He has always been so kind and nice to me. Please forgive us if we have said anything wrong. It was said in ignorance. Please send hyung and Minki back with us. I promise to look after them. I really want them to be happy. We all just want them to be happy.” Kibum gave his own diplomatic speech.

“Kibum be glad that you are not in Jinki's place. You will never understand Jinki’s pain and you can never erase the pain you have given him. Minki’s nanny? Is that what Taemin and you consider yourself?”

“Kibum go get Jongin. We are leaving this instant. Thank you Ho-jin for your hospitality.”

All of us got up at appa's words. Uncle and Imo bowed to my departing family. Once they were gone, imo and uncle high-fived each other and grinned. I stared at them in wonder.

"Dae Hei did you see the look on their faces? It was priceless. I wish we had photographs of this meeting for remembrance. They are not going to bother Jinki for some time now. I just feel sad for your sister. Wish she could have stayed back. Daewon-ssi will make her life hell."

Minki had wanted to run out after Kibum, but was stopped by Imo who began doing a small victory jig with Minki in her arms making her laugh out loud. "Don't worry. Unni is strong. She will come through this. Jinki she brought clothes for you and Minki."

I felt relieved after a long time. It was as if a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I hugged both of them in silent thanks. Soo-jin and Jiyeon were two very lucky girls.

And I was one very lucky nephew.