Celebrity Jjong

I Will Protect You ©

37. Celebrity Jjong

 

The next two weeks were very eventful. True to Siwon’s words, on Monday puppy got his well-deserved promotion. His face was all over that day’s newspapers. We received congratulatory bouquets from our neighbors and his friends till the house was full of flowers.

Within a few days puppy’s family came to our home to congratulate him in person. His brother and mother were keener on knowing how much his salary would be increasing every month. He said he wasn’t sure. I informed them that the government would be deducting money every month for his hospitalization bills. I don’t know why I said that. Puppy kept silent, lending support to my statement. My instincts were screaming at me to keep our finances private from his family. I decided to pay heed to them and analyze the reasons later. His brother kept looking at the new phone that imo and uncle had presented to puppy as a promotion gift.

His father was very happy to meet Minki and gave her chocolates. He even asked her to call him grandfather. She looked at me and I nodded. His mother’s displeasure at Minki calling puppy as ‘appa’ was very clear. Imo insisted they stay for dinner. I could see his family observing our interaction with puppy and how happy and talkative he was. Since he had told me about his family, I knew it was a surprise for them to see this. He was a loner in his family. Minki still sat on his lap to have her dinner by sharing his which was a long standing routine for them.

Before leaving, his father thanked us for making his son this happy. According to him even though the arrangement was highly non-traditional, Jonghyun’s happiness was all that mattered.

Puppy asked me later that night, “Yeobo why did you lie about salary deductions?”

“I don’t know. But something told me to. Why don’t you give some money every month from your salary to them? They are your parents, you owe it to them.”

“No, I don’t like the way they treat you, except appa.”

“Jagi, it’s okay. How about we set aside a certain sum every month and then use it to improve their life?”

“What do you mean?”

I pecked his lips, “We can save money for them and buy them home appliances and help with their medical care or help your father open a small business?”

“Yeobo that will take a lot of money, everything in the house needs replacement, from furniture to the fridge. And for what purpose? Umma will still brag about hyung only. And she’ll still be mean to you.”

“We are not doing this for brownie points jagi. It’s the least we can do for our parents. God cannot be with everyone, so he made parents. That’s his way of being with us. What are we going to teach Minki? Grow up, fall in love, move out and forget us altogether?”

“Yeobo it’s not that and you know it well. I would have moved out whether I fell in love with you or not. It was just a matter of time. And if parents are like god, then why does your father treat you badly?”

“My sweet, sweet puppy. Yes I know you well, but it cannot be explained to children. Regarding my father, just think how laid back my life was earlier. I was so passive about everything. Every time he says something to me, it makes me more determined to prove him wrong. I work harder to become more independent than before. I will one day become more successful than Taemin and that too without our father’s help. Whatever I have will be what I’d earn for myself with my hard work. He called me a leech and a beggar. I will show him I am neither.”

Puppy kissed me forehead, “I know you will.”

“I forgive him for saying and doing things that hurt me but I will not forget them. He turned away from me when I needed him the most jagi. I will not forget that. He asked me to go back to Minho even though he knew my daughter was in danger there. I will never forget that either. My daughter will never be able to say that I was not there for her. I brought her in this world. I owe it to her to keep her safe. I promised her that I will always protect her. When she walks through fire in her life, it will be my hands under her feet keeping her safe from fire.”

“Our daughter yeobo and our hands. I promised you I will always protect her. We are in this together. We are there for her together. We are not our parents. We will not repeat their mistakes. Trust me there will come a day when your father will repent his mistake.”

I laughed, “My father will die before that day comes, just to avoid it.”

Puppy laughed with me, “My mother and your father are from the same mold. We can give her heaven on earth but she will still want my brother.”

“But just think won’t you feel happy that you are a good son no matter what her behavior is? We cannot control their reactions or actions. All we can control is our actions. Let us not do anything that we will look back in future and feel ashamed of or regret.”

“Silly toki. I bet you did the same for Minho’s family, maybe even more. But what did it get you in the end? Only heartache and pain. You need to learn to be selfish sometimes.”

“It got me the satisfaction that I was the best son-in-law possible. That even when they get daughters-in-law, what I did would be impossible to replicate. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day they will realize that I loved and cared for them the best of all their children. If they didn’t love me back that’s their problem. I did my best. Same goes for Minho and his brothers. I did my best in every relationship that failed.”

“I love you yeobo. You are an amazing man.”

“I love you too. It’s you who has made me what I am today. It’s only because of you I am able to discuss all this stuff without feeling any pain. The credit goes to you.”

“What do we teach Minki when someone gives her a compliment?”

“Say thank you.”

“What do you say when you receive a compliment?”

“Thank you.”

“You are most welcome yeobo.”

“Silly puppy.”

“Always, for you.”

The bragging by the three girls about their Jjong oppa and puppy appa in school had reached the principal’s ears and puppy was invited by imo’s school head to give a talk in the school. Siwon and he worked out a presentation befitting different age groups of students. A delegation from the department went to the school with puppy that included Siwon as well.

Puppy ended his presentation by sitting down on the stage with Minki in his lap and speaking these heartfelt words, “If we all behave responsibly and do our duty, the world will be a safer place. Meet my daughter Minki whom I have sworn to protect. Due to one irresponsible person I have been unable to carry her in my arms since I was injured. I request all of you to grow up and become good citizens. Those of you who wish can join the honorable Daegu Police Agency to carry our heroic legacy forward.”

Puppy’s presentation was recorded by the local news channel and broadcast on television as well. From there it went viral. Soon it was on national channels as well. His photograph with Minki in his lap was plastered everywhere.

Heechul’s father called him and discussed the broadcast saying that was exactly what the agency needed at that time - a hero to divert people’s attention from Incheon disaster in April where over 350 Daewoo workers were on the receiving end of an unprovoked attack by nearly 1500 riot control police force.

As expected, politicking began. First to get upset was Siwon’s immediate boss, but Siwon quickly pacified him by pointing out how he and puppy had thanked him in every interview and speech.

Another political front opened in my personal life. Minho’s father called me late at night. Puppy made me put the phone on speaker option, so imo, uncle and he could hear the conversation too.

“Jinki what am I seeing on tv about this policeman calling Minki his daughter?”

“What about it abeoji?”

“Minki is Minho’s daughter.”

“Thank you for reminding me of that fact abeoji. Please remind Minho also about it.”

“What do you mean?”

“What fatherly responsibility has Minho shouldered for Minki till now?”

“He has been her father in every way.”

“Did he pay for my pregnancy? Did he pay my hospital bills? Did he buy her even one piece of cloth to wear? Did he pay for anything she ate? Did he pay her medical bills? Did he stay awake with her at night when she was sick? Did he give her even one drop of medicine? Is he paying her education bills? Is he paying for her clothing, food, housing, and all other requirements? His only contribution to her birth and life has been the donation of his . In which way is he her father I would like to know?”

“She is Choi Minki. She is Minho’s daughter. No other man has got a right to claim her as his.”

“Okay abeoji.”

“See that such a thing does not repeat in future.”

“Okay abeoji. Good night.”

As I ended the call, I knew there would be another one soon. Puppy wanted to switch off my phone. Uncle agreed with him. I held puppy’s hand. He put his arm around my waist and hugged me to him, sharing his strength with me. When the call came puppy put it also on speaker mode. He opened his phone and began recording. I didn’t ask why.

“Hello.”

“Hello Jinki can you hear me?”

“Loud and clear Minho.”

“Appa called me and said there is a man who is claiming to be Minki’s father. Who is he? How can you allow that? Minki is my daughter.”

“He is Senior Police Officer Kim Jonghyun. And yes, he is Minki’s father. More than you can ever dream of being. He has my full permission.”

“Ah I see. You got a new lover boy. That must be why you left me and refused to come back. You’ve always been a dirty .”

I held my puppy back and shook my head in a no. Imo and uncle heard and watched me in shock.

“Minho you gave up your right as her father the night you called her a bastard.”

“You’re still holding that against me? I was drunk. I am her father Jinki, you cannot take change that fact. And you are mine too. Do you hear me? Nothing you say is ever going to change the fact that you belong to me and me alone. No matter how many lovers you have, you will always be mine.”

“Just donating your does not make you her father Minho. Fatherhood means much more than one .”

“How can you forget how much I cared for you when you were carrying her and were on bed rest? Why do you always remember only my mistakes and not my love for you? I will love you till the day I die. Only you Jinki.”

“Yes you cared for me when I was on bed rest. But in the last two months you cancelled it all out Minho. You hit me when I was seven months pregnant with Minki. What fatherly responsibility have you carried out for Minki? Have you ever been responsible for feeding, clothing and sheltering her? You never were and you are not even now.”

“Why is it always money, money, money? You always equate everything to money. Why are you always so materialistic? You already have so much money of your own and your father is even richer. Why do you need any money from me? Doesn’t love and caring mean anything to you at all? Is that how you are going to bring up Minki? To think about money only? To compare every emotion with money only?”

“Why did you call me Minho? Do not start on all these things. I have heard enough of them through the years we lived under the same roof.”

“And yet you are still the same. You never changed at all, no matter how much I tried to make you a better person. If you were here or I was there, I would punch some sense into you. No other man can ever be Minki’s father except me. I don’t care how much you screw around. I am the only man Minki will ever call appa. Do you hear me ?

“Good night Minho.” I ended the call and switched off my phone.

Imo immediately pulled me into her arms. I kept holding my puppy’s hand that had turned into a fist during the phone call. “It’s okay imo. I am fine. I am beyond his words. Now, you stop crying. It’s over imo. It’s been over since you gave me shelter in your house. His words don’t hurt me anymore imo but your tears do. Please stop crying.”

“Puppy will you please bring some water for all of us? I think we all need it.”

I made imo drink some water and calmed her down. Uncle’s phone began ringing. It was my father. Puppy looked at uncle and accepted the call putting it on speaker.

“Ho-jin what is this I am hearing about that boy claiming to be Minki’s father? I ignored what I have read in the newspaper and seen on tv, but Minho and his father just called me. I can’t ignore it anymore.”

“Daewon-ssi what exactly can’t you ignore? Minki having a father again? Jinki and Minki being happy? Jinki doing okay for himself without any money from you? Jinki’s name in the paper in a good way? Another man protecting Minki better than you could? Or is it Minho’s physical, verbal and emotional abuse of Jinki for many years right under your nose? What exactly are you unable to ignore?”

“Ho-jin you have gone crazy. Let me talk to Dae Hei. Maybe she will show better sense.”

Imo sniffled again before speaking in a teary voice.

“Hyeongbu I have nothing to say on the topic. I have heard enough today to never want to hear Minho’s name again in my life. I will beat him senseless if he ever has the misfortune of meeting me in this lifetime. I will break every bone in his hands for ever touching my Jinki. I will cut off his tongue for ever calling my innocent Jinki a bad name. And if you want to continue being my hyeongbu, you decide where your loyalties are – with your son or with a snake like him. And if it is not with your son, then do not talk to me ever again. Me, my family, Jinki and Minki will be as good as dead to you.”  

“What has gotten into both of you? I have always treated you like my eldest child Dae Hei. You are like a daughter to me. How can you suddenly stop believing in me? What happened to the little girl I carried in my arms after my marriage? What happened to the young woman who clung to me refusing to go next door with her husband after the wedding? What happened to the new mother who stayed months with me after each child birth? Have I suddenly become so bad Dae Hei that you say such harsh words to me? How can you say you will not be my daughter anymore Dae Hei?”

Imo started crying. I hugged her trying to calm her down. I felt bad that so many relationships were becoming strained because of my little family.

“Daewon-ssi you will always be a father to Dae Hei. But please remember she is also a mother to Jinki. She is unable to tolerate anything or anyone making Jinki unhappy. And neither am I. Both of us have immense respect for you as our father figure and as a person. After the death of Dae Hei’s father, you have always been her father. But you have failed to be the same for Jinki. Why do you treat Jinki differently from Dae Hei, Taemin or Kibum? It’s not we who have changed Daewon-ssi. What has changed you?”

“I just want him to grow up and become responsible Ho-jin. I am his father not his enemy. I love him.”

“You have a fine way of showing your love Daewon-ssi. He is more grown up than any of us can think of being. He has seen more life than any of us can imagine. His sense of responsibility is beyond our scope of tolerance. What more do you want from him? Does he not deserve some happiness after the hell that was his life with Minho? Why are rules of happiness different for you and different for Jinki? It is not us, it is you who needs to straighten his priorities in life. Is Jinki so bad that you do not think twice before saying harsh words to him and hurting him again and again? Think it over Daewon-ssi, and we will talk another time.”

“Yes its better if we talk another time. Good night Ho-jin.”

Uncle bade him good night and ended the call. We sat looking at each other. Imo began crying again. This time puppy hugged her, “Imo please stop crying or you will make Jinki also cry.”

“I want to kill him Jonghyun. I just want to kill him. Why has he run away to a different country? Get him back to Korea. I want to kill him.”

I hugged her at the same time as puppy, “Imo that part of my life is over. I am over it too. His words do not have the power to hurt me anymore. He cannot hurt me anymore. You, uncle and puppy are there to love me. Let go of your anger imo. Please. Let us live in today. Let us have a happy tomorrow. Why cry over a yesterday that is long gone? Uncle I think you need to click a picture of us like this. My camera happy, picture clicking imo would love to see in the future how horrible she looks when she cries.”

“Silly boy. Stop spouting nonsense. Don’t you dare take a snap with my eyes all red and swollen like this.”

I went to the room and carried out sleeping Minki. I asked puppy to spread out two beddings in the family room. Uncle quickly rolled them out as puppy was still trying to calm down imo. I laid down Minki on one and tucked her into a blanket. She slept on.

“Uncle I suggest you and imo use the bedroom tonight. She will listen to you only. Get her to calm down. If she keeps crying, it will upset the girls tomorrow. No, imo don’t even think of sleeping with the girls. You will just upset them with your crying and sniffing.”

Uncle squeezed my shoulder and imo hugged me tight to her before going to bed.

Puppy switched off the lights and held out his arms for me to snuggle into.

“I love you jagi.”

“Love you too yeobo. I swear Minho will never talk like this to you ever again.”

“Jagi, let it go. It does not matter. I think it pitiful. I have a loving full life with you, imo, uncle and the girls. He is living alone drinking himself senseless thinking of the non-existent past and hoping for an impossible future.”

“I will spend my life loving you and erasing all the bad memories.”

“You already have jagi. All I know is your love. Believe me. Do you think I could have talked to Minho or his father the way I did tonight without the strength of your love?”

“You are my life yeobo. And I will not let go of either you or Minki.”

“You are Minki’s father. Let anyone say what they want. We need to develop a thick skin to survive as a family.” I squinted at him in the dark.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to imagine you with a thick skin. I love the skin you have right now. Silky and soft and hot and smooth. You are like butter jagi.”

“Trying to divert my attention by seducing me?”

“I can feel your diversion.”

“Not fair yeobo.”

“What can be more fair than you loving me tonight like every night before and like every night that we’ll live? Show me your love jagi.”

He shared his love, his strength with me, showing me how we were one and would always be one.