First Test

I Will Protect You ©

17. FIRST TEST

 

Just as my alarm rang in the morning, puppy’s message beeped in my phone.

Good morning sweet toki. Thank you for last night.

Good morning Jjong. It shud be me thanking you. Everything ok at work?

Missed u for the remaining night  :*

Whats that?

What I wanted to wake u up in the morning with – kiss

:* on ur cheek

Turn my face n catch it on my lips

ert

For u always

Sleep well. Will catch u later

Hav a gud day at work. :* for Minki. Love u (づ ̄ ³ ̄)

U wil give me diabetes. :* from Minki. |_|o from me

Wats that?

Coffee for silly puppy

:D

The day was the same. But I felt a warm glow inside me since I’d opened my eyes that morning. It was not a dream. Last night had happened. I had not imagined it. Like puppy always reminded me, I tried not to over think things. In fact, I tried not to think at all. I didn’t want to begin staring away smiling goofily to myself. My little charges had caught me at it all too often that day.

To her credit, Minki did not mention to anyone her observation regarding puppy’s smell.

To his credit, puppy came to play with Minki before beginning his work day. I immediately became flustered. I left him surrounded by the four females he had charmingly brought flowers for. I went into the kitchen to catch my breath and to prepare coffee of course.

Imo was happy to have company for coffee. I prepared milk shake for the girls and called Soo to get it. Instead puppy appeared. As he took the milk for the girls, he kissed my shoulder. I looked at him in question and got his whispered response, “It’s my evening kiss to you.”

Weird puppy.

That night over dinner uncle wanted to know how I was faring with the children and if I wanted to return to his office. Imo narrated to him about the offer for promotion I had received. Both of them beamed at me as if I was a school kid who had won a prize or something. Uncle clarified for imo why I was refusing a degree in education. According to him I was too creative and had too deep a thirst to learn new things to be satisfied with doing repetitive tasks. He said I would be happy the first two years and then would get bored and look for another work. He had analyzed me correctly.

In less than 18 months I had already worked at least five different professions – accountant, office manager, marketing, daycare manager, private tutor and this was not counting the various tasks I had learnt and done in uncle’s office.

Imo and uncle wondered what I’d do next. I just smiled and said future would take care of itself. I’d do whatever interested me and allowed me to earn and take care of Minki and myself as well.

Minki wanted to sleep with me. I bathed her, gave her a puzzle to work on and went to shower myself when Minho called. Minki picked up the phone. It had taken me a few minutes only but Minho had already managed to convey to Minki that he was leaving the country. She had tears in her eyes when I entered the room again and closed the door. I took the phone from her and she hid her face in my side and began crying for Minho to stay in Korea. I was very upset with him for making her cry but controlled myself as I did not want to fight with him in front of her.

My priority at that time was to console her. I said bye to Minho and ended the call. I rocked her in my arms as she cried.

“Umma why is he leaving me and going? Am I a bad girl?”

“No baby you are the sweetest child on this earth. He is going to work there. He will be back soon. He will get lots of Barbie dolls for you.”

“Don’t want dolls. Want him to stay umma.”

“He has to work baby. Just like I have to work. Remember when I used to leave you alone with imo-halmeoni?”

“Why do we live with imo-halmeoni? I want to stay with appa? I want appa. I want him now.”

“Oh my sweet baby! I thought you were happy living here with Soo and Jiyeon unni.”

“I want them. I want appa also. He said I don’t remember him. But I do. I do. Tell him I remember him.”

I was at my wits’ end. I was wiping away her tears and trying to think of ways to distract her from Minho’s ill-timed call and thoughtless behavior. I felt like crying myself seeing her heartbroken mourning at the loss of a useless father.

My phone rang again and she quickly picked it up and turned away from me. I knew she thought it was Minho calling again.

“Hello appa.”

“Ajeossi tell appa to stay with Minti.”

“I am trying for appa. I want my appa.”

“Minti not a big girl. Minti little girl. Appa leaving Minti. Tell him to stay.”

“You are policeman. You tan do everything. You tan mate appa stay with Minti.”

Her lisp that we had been working hard to overcome was back in full force. I had an idea. I was not sure if it would really work. But I was willing to do anything to calm her down.

“Minki do you want to go to see where Jonghyun ajeossi works?”

That got her attention. She nodded.

“Ask ajeossi if we can visit him at work now.”

“Ajeossi tan we tome to see you wort now?”

“Police bite?”

“Otay. I will tell umma.”

“Outside in ten minutes. I will tell him.”

At last we had succeeded in making my baby stop crying. Her attention was diverted from Minho at the thought of visiting Jonghyun at the police station.

I quickly wiped her face clean, changed her clothes and wrapped her up in a jacket. After dressing myself, I went to check the status of everyone else and to tell imo or uncle that we were going out. I found everyone asleep. I wrote a quick note telling them I was going out with Minki for a late night car ride. Picking Minki up in my arms, I locked the door behind me and went to the car.

“Umma ajeossi will tome on his police bite for us. No tar.”

I was glad I had dressed her in a jacket. But I had not worn any myself. I turned to go in when Jonghyun’s bike cruised to a silent stop near us. Minki began bouncing on her feet at this surprise late-night outing.

Seeing me without a jacket, puppy offered me his but I refused, it would leave him unprotected. I left her with him and quickly got my jacket too. We walked while he wheeled the bike a little away from the house. Then we climbed onto it with Minki between us. I put her arms around Jonghyun’s waist and told her to hold on tight. I wrapped my arms around him too, effectively forming a barrier to keep her safe. I was wearing the helmet he had brought for me. After confirming that we were securely seated, he drove us to the station. I tried to focus on Minki rather than puppy’s strong chest under my palms.

Jonghyun picked up Minki in his arms and swung her around as we entered the station. Both were laughing. Yoda puppy was saving his questions for later. I wondered at the quick switch of little children from sorrow to joy. How good it would be if even adults had a similar switch.

Minki was introduced to his colleagues and seniors. It appeared to be a slow night and everyone was glad for the diversion provided by Minki. The various card games around the station came to a halt while everyone tried to grab her attention and show off for her. She collected a treasure trove very soon. There were candies, chocolates, little souvenirs and more small items like the flags of Korea and Daegu police. She even got a police pin on her jacket. She gorged on snacks and within an hour began yawning.

Jonghyun picked her up and she instantly fell asleep with her head on his shoulder and arms around his neck. There were a few catcalls at this homely scene. A few seniors offered him the pick of their daughters, competing with each other for their beauty and homemaker skills. He laughingly declined all proposals citing his very young age. He spoke with the station incharge for a few minutes and then walked me out to the café across the road.

I offered to take Minki from him but he didn’t give her. In the café, he kissed her cheek before reluctantly handing her over to me because he had no idea how to move to a sitting position with her in his arms. I sat with her lying in my lap, my arm supporting her head and upper body. He carefully observed me. I knew he was filing it away for future. Once we were served my hot sweet tea and his usual coffee, I related the events.

He was very unhappy at what had transpired before his call. I told him that I would keep my phone out of Minki’s reach till Minho had left. He decided to get a day shift so he could spend more evening and night time talking to Minki, effectively reducing Minho’s opportunities to talk to her. He wanted me to have Minho sign her guardianship completely to me. But I knew that was not possible. And it would not stop Minho from talking to her.

He comforted me with his eyes. I nodded in understanding and shared my feelings. I was highly upset with Minho and scared at Minki’s reaction. From ummappa I had become umma. Her lisp had returned. I invited Jjong to dinner the next day if possible. We planned to take her out and keep her occupied as much as possible.

For the first time, I realized the comfort of sharing parenthood responsibilities. I softly thanked Jjong for keeping his promise to love Minki as much as I did. I did not feel alone anymore.

We knew there would be more tests ahead of us, but we were off to a good start as a family.