Jjong Gets Promoted

I Will Protect You ©

58. JJONG GETS PROMOTED

 

The year 2006 began well for us. Siwon became Senior Superintendent in January and we were over the moon. Siwon was expecting to promote much sooner and was beginning to get a little despondent. We celebrated his promotion for over a month.

The day Minx turned eight meant double celebrations for us. Puppy was promoted to Senior Inspector with an entry into the coveted Cyber Crime Investigation Squad. Puppy had worked very hard for it and Heechul couldn’t stop squealing for an hour after hearing the news. We invited all of our family, friends and relatives to celebrate with us.

When I had mingled with everyone at least once, puppy’s new boss joined the party. Puppy’s new boss, Senior Superintendent Park Yohan was also invited. He turned out to be a fellow student of Siwon from his police academy days. Puppy and Siwon brought him to meet me and Heechul. He politely greeted Heechul first before turning to me. One look from him and I felt uncomfortable. He was staring at me without a word.

Siwon poked him in the ribs to make him speak. He greeted me and shocked us by taking my hand and kissing it. When I tried to remove my hand from his, he just held on tighter.

“Yohan remember you are married to a very nice woman and have three cute children to show for it.” Siwon tried teasing him to lighten the suddenly tense atmosphere.

“I am wondering why.” Puppy’s boss answered.

“Because you love her?” Siwon tried again.

“May I please have my hand back?” I asked him myself.

“May I please hold it forever?” He responded back.

Siwon pinched him hard and he yelped and let go of my hand. Puppy and I stared at each other in worry.

Heechul tried to smooth out the tension by calling attention to himself. “Yohan-ssi I have a heard a lot about you from Siwon. It’s unfortunate we have not met before today.”

“Really Heechul-ssi, how did a horse like him end up with a pretty guy like you?” Yohan appeared to be a big time flirt and that too an equal opportunity one.

“The same way a rat like you ended up with the most beautiful girl in Korea. Or are you forgetting you married Miss Seoul.” Siwon answered for Heechul.

I whispered to puppy, “Keep him away from Soo and Kibum.” Puppy nodded.

Yohan turned his attention to me again. “Jinki-ssi my wife is a big fan of yours. Our three children are studying in your hagwons. She keeps talking about you at home. I had for long wanted to meet this paragon of virtue. Now that I have met you, I have to agree with her. You are really an angel in disguise.”

Siwon and puppy moved to stand on either side of me and Heechul slipped in front to block Yohan’s view. He smirked noticing the moves made by the three and raised his hands to show he meant no harm.    

I touched Heechul to move aside and faced Yohan with my head held high, my ‘Ice Prince’ mode fully activated.

“I am glad Yohan-ssi that you find me such an angel. I wish I could say the same for you. Please do convey my thanks and consolations to your wife. It must be really hard work for her on a daily basis to keep you in line.”

Puppy stared at me. He had never seen my ice prince mode before. He slowly began smiling and I rubbed his back to show him I had the situation in control.

“Touché! You have sharp teeth for an angel. I like it!” Yohan responded.

“I am a shark, not an angel. Do you see any halo or wings?”

“I can be your wings if you give me an opportunity. And a shark. Hmm. That’s even better. I like big game.”

“Are you planning to hunt me?”

“Your words angel, not mine.”

“Last person to call me an angel did not fare well.”

“Minho is a fool. He did not know how to appreciate an angel like you.”

I hid my shock that Yohan knew Minho. A part of my brain wondered why I was surprised that one sleazebag knew another. “Birds of a feather flock together I see. How do you know that ‘fool’?” I made quote marks in the air with my fingers for the word fool.

“We were together in high school. He joined medicine and I liked police work. My family lives near his in Incheon. I couldn’t attend your wedding because I was posted in Gwangju then.”

“I am glad. Appears I did not miss anything worth my time.”

“Yohan which fool of a father gave his daughter to the Casanova of Korea?” Siwon interrupted trying to ease the chilled atmosphere.

“The same kind that gave his son to a horse like you. My father-in-law is the current Commissioner General of KNPA.”

“I will take my leave. I wish I could say it was nice meeting you. Have a nice time at the party.” I took my leave of Yohan and I didn’t care that I was rude.

The party had lost its joy for me. To offend Yohan meant a black work report for puppy who was a hard and dedicated police officer. But it wouldn’t make any difference to a person like Yohan. I felt as if a big target had just been stamped on my forehead. I wanted to regret inviting Yohan to the party, but couldn’t. As the owners of our first hagwon, Heechul and I routinely met policemen of all designations. Yohan and I would have crossed paths sooner or later.

I looked at puppy and found Yohan staring at me. His eyes followed my every move. I motioned Heechul over to me and told him to tell Siwon to keep Yohan away from Kibum and the women in the family. Kibum’s family had also come to the party. I did not want Yohan to begin flirting with the pretty wives of Minseok or Joon-myun, or even Sehun’s mother for that matter.

“Are you sure Jinx that I can do it? I don’t like his flirting and have no idea how to deal with it.”

“Cinder he is simply teasing you and Siwon. He has fixed me as his target. He will only flirt with you in the party because I will not talk to him any further. It’s a big thing I am asking. But please. For my sake. You and Siwon keep him engaged for the rest for the rest of the party. Or ask Siwon to take him out for drinks.”

“You know Siwon hardly drinks.”

“I know. But he can get the sleazebag away from here then watch him get drunk.”

Heechul laughed at the name sleazebag. But sobered immediately. “After you left he said Siwon got his promotions because of his marriage to me. I have never hated anyone at first meeting before.”

“Turn your Diva mode on Cinder. On second thought, don’t. Let’s think of a few business deals we can get his father-in-law to agree to. There should be some benefit for us out of all this harassment we are facing from the sleazebag. My instincts put me on full alert the moment he was introduced to us.”

Heechul nodded and went to Siwon. Together they managed to keep Yohan occupied and separated from the rest of the party. As time passed, I could see Heechul turning pinker in embarrassment and Siwon scowling more. That did not bode well. Siwon preferred to smile all the time and it was not easy to make him scowl. Puppy had told me he rarely lost his smile or temper even at work.

I texted Siwon to take Yohan out for drinks and send him away from there. Soon I saw Siwon leave with Yohan. I went to Heechul and gave him a drink to help regain his balance. Siwon returned an hour later with a worried look. When the party had wound down, we invited Siwon and Heechul to accompany us home. We put the children to sleep and sat down to talk. Imo and uncle also retired for the night, leaving the four of us to talk alone.

“Jinki you had better be careful in your dealing with Yohan. His intentions for you are not good.”

“Siwon that was clear to all of us at the party itself.” I got up and sat in puppy’s lap to keep him calm. He wrapped his arms around me and we laced our fingers together.

“The question is how do we handle the situation?” Puppy asked.

“There is a reason his nickname was ‘Rat’ during our cadet days. If we don’t handle the situation right Jjong, he can mess up your career and record.” Siwon answered.

We understood that.

“He’s been posted in many places till now and each time he was moved because there were too many complaints about him verbally. The influence of his father-in-law kept them off his record. You have two options, according to me, Jjong can either apply for a posting elsewhere or wait it out till Yohan gets posted elsewhere.”

I shook my head, not wanting to move anywhere, at least not for an issue like this. “We are not moving.”

Puppy was of the same opinion. “I don’t want to move. Minx is in one of the best schools in the country. Byong also will get admission there. The move will seriously affect the children. Tokki has his business here. We will not move. We will wait it out. Hopefully, he will soon lose his interest in tokki.”

“What if he doesn’t?” Heechul said. “He did not look like a person to easily give up.”

“I am not going to give in. He can try all he wants. My only worry is how it will affect puppy’s record.” I responded.

“I don’t care about my record tokki. Not where my family is concerned. Not where you, Minx and Byong are concerned. He can mess up my career as much as he wants. I will leave the job in the worst case scenario.” Puppy stated forcefully.

“You can’t do that jagi. You love your work.” I protested.

“I love you and our family even more.” Puppy quietly stated.

I kissed his cheek. “You won’t have to give up anything. I can take the heat. Trust me.”

“But I don’t want you to take the heat for my job. I promised to protect you.” Puppy was adamant.

“I am not in any danger jagi. I have handled similar situations in college.” I tried to pacify puppy.

“Jinki this is not college. And Yohan is not a teen or a young man in his twenties. He is a grown man in his forties with years of experience in harassing people and clout of police position behind him.” Siwon stated his point before puppy could get in another word. Puppy nodded at every point Siwon made.

“And I am not a teenage boy. I am 35 years old.” I quietly said.

“Stubborn tokki. I never knew I am living with an old man.” Puppy kissed my cheek.

“I will show you who is old when I do you hard tonight,” I whispered in his ear.

“You two get back to the discussion,” Heechul rapped the table with his knuckles.

I looked at him with a very innocent smile. “I have the answer to our dilemma.”

I waited for three of them to focus on me. Then smiled innocently again and said, “Puppy I’ll invite him to bed and you do him. He will never harass anyone again.”

All of them choked. I beamed like Byong after he had chewed up my favorite pen.

“I mean it guys. Seriously. Get him totally drunk. Get him into bed with his clothes off. Hire someone who looks a little like me and get him to do the sleazebag. Record the whole thing and blackmail him to back off from me.”

“Oh my tokki, I never knew you could be so devious.” Puppy looked at me in shock.

Siwon and Heechul stared at me open mouthed.

“But I’d prefer this to be our last resort. Because for this to work I will have to talk to the sleazebag and lead him on enough to believe that he can end up in bed with me.”

“You really are a tough cookie.” Heechul looked amazed.

“Cinder I was called 'Ice Prince' in college. I even broke the nose of a guy who dared to spread rumors about him and me. Trust me, the moniker was well deserved.”

“Oh my goodness Jinx.” Heechul’s eyes opened wide.

“When Minho forced me to invite him for tea, I put salt in his tea, chilli in the sandwiches, coffee and chilli in cinnamon buns, bitter coffee cream in biscuits. We still ended up together, because I liked him. I did all that despite liking him because I didn’t appreciate his heavy-handed way of talking with me. What happened later between me and him was because I loved him. However, I have no feelings whatsoever for Yohan and I consider him a total sleazebag from the moment I laid eyes on him.”

The three managed to look even more shocked. I waited for a few minutes for one of them to speak.

“Come on guys. Did you really think I am a puff ball? There is no way I am going to let a slimeball like Yohan disrupt my family and undo our professional achievements.”

Puppy just hugged me tighter him.

Siwon was the first one to speak. “I think Jinki’s plan of blackmail is doable.”

“No, I don’t want my tokki near that man.”

“Puppy I don’t have to go near him. I just thought of another way. Siwon can invite him for drinks and get him nearly drunk, may be even use a drug to dull his brain and distort his senses even further. We hire someone who looks just a little like me to meet him after Siwon leaves and get him totally drunk. When he is totally drunk and with the drug messing with his eyesight, he wouldn’t question the dissimilarities between that guy and me.” I took a deep breath and others waited for me complete.

“My look alike takes him to a hotel room where we hide cameras to record. The look alike then pretends to have with him. On camera it looks like the real thing. In the end, the look alike takes his id cards to show on the camera that it is really the sleazebag in the recording. His voice will give it away that he is not me. During the act, he can give a so that sleazebag makes sufficient noises to prove it is full ual act going on.”

The others were following me attentively.

“When the sleazebag wakes up alone in the hotel room, he’ll think he spent a night with me, if he remembers anything at all. We do not say anything till the drug has completely left his body and cannot be traced through any tests. Then we send copies of the recording to his wife and her father. After that we show it to him and get him to back off with the threat of releasing them to the media.”

Heechul whispered, “Will it work?”

“If we orchestrate this carefully, I see no reason why this won’t work.” I answered.

“What if he says your name during the recording Jinx?”

“Hmm. Maybe I can convince him to call me by another name like ‘shark’ when I fix up the date with him over the phone.” I suggested.

“Jinki never turn to crime. You will make a formidable criminal.” Siwon said in awe.

“I still don’t like it. I’d rather quit police force.” Puppy rejected my suggestions.

“Jjong why take a drastic step right away. Let’s see how things proceed and if necessary we can follow Jinki’s idea. If even that does not work, then you can quit.” Siwon reasoned with puppy.

“But why is he targeting Jinx?” Heechul asked the question that was circling in my mind as well.

“Because my tokki is the iest being to walk this earth.” Puppy answered Heechul.

“Only in your eyes Jjong.” Siwon countered.

“I think I know why.” I said quietly.

All eyes turned to me once more.

“Minho.”

“Is he avenging Minho?” Siwon asked.

I looked at puppy and when he nodded, taking a deep breath I explained to all three. “When we were staying in Incheon for the second time after our so-called marriage, Minho wanted me to have with his friend. I refused. I think that friend was Yohan. I never asked Minho the name of that friend. But I am quite certain now that it was Yohan.”

Puppy kissed my cheek to keep me calm. Strangely, I was not having my usual reaction when I thought about these bad memories. May be finally they had lost their power over me.

Heechul was the first to break the ensuing silence. “And you had a child with that sleazebag.”

“I had a child because I wanted one. Minho was just a convenient donor.”

“Jinx how could you even bear to live with him after that?” Heechul wanted more explanations.

“Hyung, don’t question tokki about it. He had his reasons. He suffered a lot with Minho. I don’t want him to remember that part of his life any more than necessary. We are together for five years and even I still don’t know the full extent of his horrible life with Minho.” Puppy stopped Heechul.

“We are so happy together puppy that I see no need to remember those years of my life.” I kissed puppy’s nose.

“I love you tokki.”

“I love you too puppy.”

“Simba give me your gun, I am going to shoot Yohan the sleazebag.” Heechul demanded.

“No, I cannot bear to live alone when you go to prison” Siwon tried to reason.

“Then we will shoot him together and you come to prison with me. We will share a prison cell.” Heechul suggested.

“What about Jinri?” Siwon asked.

Puppy and I looked from one face to another as they had their inane conversation.

“Jinx and Jjong will take care of Jinri. It’s a matter of few years only.” Heechul answered.

“No way. I am not going to get my son killed by you Cinder, nor do I want to kill him myself.” I protested.

“Why? What has Byong got to do with you taking care of Jinri?” Heechul asked.

“Just look at the way he follows her everywhere. Now think of them in their teens. I cannot keep an eye on them 24 hours a day. I need to sleep too.” I replied.

“We will be out in 10 years or less.”

“What if it is more than 10 years like, 13 or 14 or more years? No, no you cannot go to prison. Continue to share your bedroom only. Forget about sharing a prison cell. erted people. Fantasizing of making love in a prison cell.” I wagged my finger at them.

“It was a nice fantasy.” Heechul sighed. Siwon blushed.

I rapped my knuckles on the table this time. “If no one comes up with a better idea by the time we need it, then we will follow mine about using a look alike and recording and blackmailing.”

Siwon and Heechul nodded quickly, puppy reluctantly.

“Good, now I need to show puppy how old I am.” I looked into puppy’s eyes when I said that.

“Simba let’s go home and leave this shameless tokki with his lapdog. Our celebrations of your promotion are still not over. Too bad we are not going to share a prison cell. Maybe you can pretend to be prison warden –”

Siwon blushed and covered Heechul’s mouth before he could say more. I gave Heechul thumbs up for coming a long way from the shy, insecure new parent after Jinri’s birth.

They left with a sleeping, one-year old Jinri in Heechul’s arms. When puppy and I were finally alone in our room, with Byong lost to the world in his sleep, we began our private celebrations. By the time we finally slept in the wee hours of the morning, puppy agreed that I was no older than him when it came our loving.

Little did we know how precious our time together was? Sleazebag struck earlier than expected.