Jjong

I Will Protect You ©

36. Jjong

 

Sunday dinner at Siwon and Heechul’s house further affirmed our friendly triad. Imo and uncle got two more nephews to dote over. I got a new understanding of my puppy. Heechul was quite a Diva but I was used to dealing with Kibum so it wasn’t a great deal for me. Imo got another shopping partner in Heechul and she was in seventh heaven. I could never understand the shopping addiction shared by umma, imo, Kibum and Heechul. How could anyone spend all day shopping? It was exhausting just to think about.

Since we had all arrived early to help in preparing dinner, there was a lot of conversation. Girls played with their cats. I could foresee a pet demand coming up in near future. I asked the shop talkers to sit at the dining table nearer to the kitchen so I could participate in their conversation while helping shopping-talkers imo and Heechul in the kitchen.

First they talked about police department’s advertisements. Siwon offered to find out who was incharge of decision making and give the contact details to uncle. Puppy wanted relief from desk job at the earliest, of which he still had about another six months. I suggested working with the computer system since puppy had a technical bend.

Siwon asked puppy about his ideas regarding the national database that was being created and Daegu’s in specific. Even Heechul and imo listened as my puppy began talking. At first he was hesitant but when he found a seriously listening audience, he became bolder and spoke about the pros and cons of the system and how it could be improved. Siwon asked him to prepare a report and give to him in the next few days.

Siwon then called us all over, including the girls. He asked Heechul to serve juice to everyone who wasn’t drinking. He had an announcement to make. When everyone was holding a glass in their hand, he asked to raise a toast.

“To the new Senior Police Officer Kim Jonghyun. May you receive many more promotions just as quickly and with no further injuries.”

Everyone cheered and drank and congratulated puppy who sat shocked and speechless. Siwon explained the official order would be coming on Monday but he had been informed by his superiors that Jonghyun had been promoted keeping in view his KNPU history, for bringing honor to the police department in the recent shooting incident and putting the Daegu Police Agency in a positive light in front of the entire nation. The Incheon Police Agency was under a public outrage attack due to the sad Daewoo incident. DPA wanted to show the public that it cared more and was always for the people.

“Siwon what you mean to say is puppy’s shooting is going to be politicized now?” I asked in concern. I hated politics.

“Jinki you are entitled to call him whatever you want, but in the department he is known as The Dragon. Did you know he passed the Police University at the top of his class? His department nickname is Jjang Yong – The Best Dragon, which was shortened to Jjong. And his surviving the shooting just emphasized his image even more.”

I stared at my puppy who was beet red. He’d been keeping secrets from me.

“Why do you think that the fact he is in a same-gender relationship has been overlooked? There is no way your relationship with him can be hidden. It became known to everyone in the department the day he changed his next of kin. From your shocked reaction I assume Jjong has not told you any of his univ history. This is his humility and why he got shot in the first place. He could have dodged the bullets but that would have resulted in civilian casualties. He chose to get shot instead. Do not be surprised if he gets a medal of honor for this. He has got what it takes to be the Commissioner General one day. And politicking is a part of the job. It cannot be avoided. Now it’s your choice whether you are with him or not.”

Siwon looked steadily at me.

“You have to decide to be his strength or his weakness. You come from an influential family. You may be a man but anyone meeting you as Jjong’s life partner will definitely fall under your spell and forget that you are both gay. You have the charm and charisma to match his and be a great asset to Jjong in his career. You are not afraid to follow your heart and convictions publicly. You complement Jjong’s youth with your experience of life.”

Puppy got up to put his arm around my waist and hug me to him. He knew what I was feeling at that time. Siwon continued to speak his mind.

“Jinki, in 1992 you changed Daegu society’s concept of uality and marriage. It is now time to change Daegu Police Department. Heechul and I listened to his father and hid our relationship from everyone. But you both can revolutionize the department. Together you are a force to reckon with. I observed how you were in the hospital. How the hospital staff bent its rules and policies for you without even realizing it in the face of your love, commitment and devotion to Jjong. Each member of the department who came to meet Jjong in the hospital was totally captivated by you.”

I blushed at his compliments. Puppy looked proud.

“I don’t know what drove you into a shell. No, don’t deny it. I can feel it. I see the hesitation in you that I doubt was there in the Jinki of 1992. But you need to come out of it. You have to stop fearing being public or making mistakes. What you need to do is to learn the art of turning your mistakes into learning experiences and become a better person. Heechul and I will lend you every possible help on your way to success.”

Heechul hugged my waist from the other side.

“Siwon I can now understand why puppy is so full of admiration for you. You really are a great super. If puppy has a successful career ahead of him then you will be his trailblazer for sure. I understand what you have just told me. I am going to show puppy how upset I am with him later for keeping secrets from me. But he will always be my puppy. Even if he becomes the President one day, he will still be my puppy.”

Puppy kissed my hair at that and squeezed my waist.

“But don’t you think you and Heechul have hidden from society long enough Siwon? His father has reached the pinnacle of his police career. Its time you both stopped hiding. If you love each other, believe in yourselves. Only if you believe in yourself will you be able to make others believe in you. I am with puppy no matter what. No force in heaven or earth can separate me from him, society and police department least of all. There is no doubt that I will be his strength, never his weakness. All I want is his happiness. What he wants to do with his career is his choice alone. I will support whatever he decides to do. But for now he needs to recover completely and take me on a bike ride soon.”

“As soon as the doctor permits toki. Daily.”

Heechul looked at Siwon. “I think you need to buy a bike again.”

“You can borrow ours till I can use it again,” puppy offered.

“Yes that will work. One or two rides will cure him when he gets his hairstyle all messed up,” Siwon teased.

Uncle said his office boy will drop off the bike next day. Our dinner continued on a celebratory note after that.

When we were alone that night and puppy had finished reading stories to Minki, she got up from the bed and went out saying, “imo-halmeoni wants me to sleep with her tonight. She said she feels afraid when I don’t sleep with her. She wants me to use my princess magic and appa’s police magic to keep her safe.”

Puppy and I stared at each other for a few moments before realizing our golden chance. He quickly locked the door and turned off the light. I switched on the night lamp. I wanted to talk to puppy about what Siwon said at dinner. But I never got the chance. What followed Minki’s departure was a loving to remember. Puppy was insatiable. Of course he had my full cooperation. It was only in the wee hours of the morning that we made an effort to cool down. Finally we began talking, comfortably tangled up in each other.  

“We must return the favor jagi. Maybe next Saturday we can give imo and uncle the privacy they should have. Would you mind our sleeping on the floor in the family room while the girls slept here?”

“Excellent idea yeobo. Why should I mind the floor? It’s a minute thing in comparison to everything they have done for us.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about your university honors jagi? It was a shock to hear it from Siwon.”

“I didn’t want you to think I was showing off. And later the topic never came up. Does it make a difference?”

“It just shows you are an achiever. You like being the best. I can understand that well. It puts some things in a different light too. Primarily, your career. I want to do everything to help you in it. I can’t live without you, and that makes leaving you a moot point. We are together for life. I was thinking through dinner. And something came to my mind.” I went silent then, not sure if I should proceed.

“What yeobo? You know you can tell me anything. And I really don’t mind not getting any promotions. I am happy to be what I am today as long as I can be with you.”

“If you don’t get promoted, I will feel guilty all our life. I thought over something Siwon had said in his text message and what he said during dinner. I need to do something for the department.”

“Go on.”

“I think we should open a hagwon only for the children of police department personnel. Not just that but also charge them lower fees than the other private academies take. What do you think?”

“Hmmm. Not we, you should open. Can you make it happen? It is a lot of responsibility you are thinking of taking on. It will also take a lot of money to set it up.”

“I have money saved up. I can, maybe, borrow some from uncle. Or maybe take on a partner.”

“How about Heechul-ssi? He is PhD in education you know?”

“Is he? Yes that will work very nicely. Do you need time to think it over?”

“No. I have full faith in your judgment. Let me know how I can help you. Maybe set up your computer systems or something?”

“I will draw up some sort of a preliminary plan with your help and then talk to Heechul about it. Computers bring to my mind another thing that I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Hmmm your mind has been really busy yeobo.”

“This was all during the dinner jagi. Don’t worry, I stopped thinking the moment you kissed me tonight. When you love me all I think of is you jagi, that is if you leave me capable of any thinking at all.”

He kissed me again and my capability to think went up in smoke. “Break over yeobo.”

It was nearly time to get up when he stopped at last.

“Where did you get the stamina from?”

“Your hot body and your love yeobo. And you are forgetting I am Jjong the owner of imugi.”

“erted puppy.”

“Always for you.”

“Now may I tell you what else I was thinking about?

He nodded.

“I think we should get you a computer.”

“Why?”

“I have a feeling you will need it. How about those notebook thingies? That way you can carry it anywhere you want?”

“Why would I want to do that?”

“Just humor me jagi. I can’t explain my feeling. I just feel we need to do that.”

“You say no to Minki for a pair of dress shoes, but you want to spend an obscene amount of money to buy a notebook for me.”

“There is a difference jagi. For Minki it’s a lesson to think twice when you see something you like. Liking is different from needing it. Today’s its dress shoes, tomorrow it will be a phone, an expensive watch or jewelry. Liking is not necessity. But notebook is needed. You can work on projects at home. Like the report that Siwon asked you to prepare. That is just the beginning. If your ideas get approved, you may need a laptop when you begin working in that specific department.”

“I am listening.”

“You may have ideas jagi but then so many other police officers may have them too. You need someone to represent and push forward your ideas to the right people for them to become a reality. Siwon is your immediate incharge when it comes to liaison with the superiors in power. He is your face and you are his hands. He promotes your ideas to the right people to get them approved. You implement them. It reflects in the work records of both. It’s a win-win situation. Working together will be very good for both of you. Trust me you need a notebook. We will go today after we fetch everyone from school and purchase one.”

“Hmmm you are right. We will get one. I need a kiss now. Break over.”

“No, no kiss right now. I need to get up and cook food.”

But he kissed me.