Day 13 Thoughts

I Will Protect You ©

83. DAY 13 THOUGHTS

 

Ignoring them did not work. Kids kept knocking on our door. Puppy got up and pulled on his clothes and left the room, giving me time to clean myself and our room. I made short work of it and went to rescue Puppy. He was sitting on girls’ bed with Byong and Duckie in his lap drinking milk and watching tv. Fearsome Four were also drinking milk and arguing over which beach to go to. They had LA map spread out on the floor and were asking Puppy questions about different beaches. Puppy left the kids to me and went to dress himself.

I couldn’t take the kids’ arguments anymore so asked them to choose from four beaches. They could either enjoy the water, sun and sand castles on the Santa Monica beach. Or they could go parasailing in Marina Del Ray. Or they could learn surfing at Zuma beach. Finally, they could go to Cabrillo beach and do parasailing, scuba diving, jet skiing and make sand castles. I warned that water activities depended on how warm the day became.

The Four looked at each other and shouted Cabrillo in sync. They refused to visit the Flying Museum that we had planned to tour enroute to the beach. Cabrillo was a good distance from our hotel and kids wanted to spend the whole day there. They rushed about knocking on doors to wake up everybody.

Puppy was dressed by the time they reached our room. I gave him Byong and Duckie to bathe in the bathtub as I quickly put stuff in my bag. Housekeeping had delivered extra towels on our request. Towels, hair brushes and caps went in each child’s backpack. I put in extra towels in my bag along with three big bottles of sunscreen lotions. With our usually indoor life, I didn’t want anyone to get sunburned on the beach.

Minx and Sehun got ready and handed me their night clothes and those of the day before. Minx also got Duckie’s swimsuit and clothes from Heechul. Puppy handed Duckie to Minx to dress and Byong to Sehun. Leaving out clothes for the journey back home, I packed the remainder of the stuff in our single open bag, reducing my work for the evening. All of us wore our new swim trunks and suits under our clothes.

We locked the room and left for breakfast, calling to others as well. Uncle and Jiyeon accompanied us. Heechul was putting on eyeliner till I reminded him about our day at the beach. He thanked me and began rooting around for a waterproof one. I heard him ask Kibum if he had any while Siwon loudly told him to forego it for one day.

We ordered for sandwiches to be packed for everyone, taking an educated guess that the kids would be hungry by the time we arrived at the beach. Uncle suggested to load up on drinks when the bus stopped for fuelling.

Soon we were on our way. Imo began a song game to keep the children busy but soon everyone had joined in. We divided into 3 teams to play. Sisters were nursing hangovers and did not join in. I handed them an aspirin each and water to help with the headache.

When we stopped at a service station for fuel, we paid a quick visit to the store to buy drinks. All our Korean snacks were over. Puppy suggested we buy some snack items as well. Each kid was asked to pick up 4 to 6 drinks of choice which could be either juice or milk, no sodas. Ji helped Byong and Duckie make their choices. It turned out to be six full bags by the end of 15 minutes. In the bus we quickly distributed the items to their choosers. For the kids and general items, bags were given to Siwon and DongHae to carry. Others put their selections in their own bags.

To my surprise no one minded missing out the Flying Museum. Everyone was excited about a day at the beach before going back to Korean winter.

Suddenly Jessica exclaimed from the back of the bus, “Can you imagine it? We’ll be the envy of everyone at the beach. Surrounded by all these eye candy hunks wearing nothing but tiny swim suits. , why did I have to drink so much last night?”

DongHae and Leeteuk paled. Hyukkie was sleeping. DongHae must have kept him up all night. Soo patted Doc’s arm to comfort him and touched her ring to his.

Kibum replied from the front, “Jessica do remember that all these eye candy hunks are booked and spoken for. If you so much as look at my hunk, I will scratch your eyes out. On the other hand, look all you want at me baby.”

Tae immediately protested, “No way. You are not taking off your clothes at the beach Kitty. Only I can look at you.”

“But hyung, it’s the beach. Anyway I won’t be taking off my tee. There is no way I will display my ugly scar.”

“It’s not ugly Kitty. It’s a reminder of your motherhood. I love your body, scar and all. Just imagine when you tan a little after a day at the beach, you will be all golden. Wow!”

We began laughing at the two. Uncle told them to shut up and remember the children.

Heechul smiled devilishly, “Jessica you are welcome to look at my hunk. Trust me you will forever compare every man you meet to him after one look at him. And you can only look. I, on the other hand, get to touch.”

Siwon blushed. We hooted at the two. Puppy and I wondered about ourselves. We’d never been to the beach since we got together. I whispered in his ear, “Don’t worry jagi those are battle scars. The sisters will keep ogling you for sure. You have delicious abs and chest and shoulders and back and –”

“Hush yeobo, don’t make me blush. You’re biased. But I don’t care what anyone says. Your opinion is all that matters. And I already know how hot you find me.”

We laughed softly. He continued, “Next time let’s stay near the beach. I want to love you on the sand with water lapping at our bodies. Moonlight making your skin glow. Soft breeze cooling our heated bodies.”

I caught my breath at his words. We gazed at each other for a long time, everyone around us faded away. We jolted out of our private world when the bus stopped. Kids immediately jumped into the aisle. We had reached the beach. As we got down from the bus, warm sea breeze greeted us. Kids were bouncing and shouting for us to hurry up so they could go into the water.

All of us were laughing as we lugged our bags and found a good spot on the beach near the activity area. There weren’t too many people for that time of year. All the kids began peeling and throwing off their clothes till we reminded that sand in their clothes will hurt them in the evening. They slowed down and became careful.

Puppy and Siwon folded the clothes and put them in bags while Heechul and I began rubbing copious amounts of sunscreen lotions on all the kids. I had to be especially careful to not miss a spot on Sehun’s face and body. He was too milky white. Jiyeon and Soo were applying sunscreen to each other. When ready, the two held Byong and Duckie between them and all went to wade into the water.

Puppy and Siwon took off their shorts and tees to go after the children. I stopped them to apply sunscreen first. I rubbed it on Puppy’s back as he applied it on his face, legs and chest. The two raced off after the kids.

I took a deep breath and looked around. The sisters were gaping at Siwon and Puppy. Heechul winked at me and we laughed as we set out towels on top of the bags. We took off our shoes and socks and lined them up next to the others. We took off our shorts and tees and applied lotion on each other.

I heard the sisters groan and Krystal called out to us, “Why do all hunks have to be gay? Come on at least a few of you could have liked girls.”

Heechul boldly replied, “They were straight till they met us. They became gay for us.”

Nicole whistled, “Looking at you two I can understand why they turned gay. Are those your surgery scars from the delivery?”

We nodded. We looked around and found Tae and Kibum a few steps away lazily applying lotion to each other. I poked Heechul and softly called to them, “Hey you two stop your obscene gestures on a public beach. Tae hurry up and go help with the kids.”

They blushed. We grinned at how correct our assumption was. Tae ran off to the water. Doc was struggling and had no sunscreen. I threw him mine and went to apply some on his back. He thanked me and went off towards Soo who was looking a stunner in her new pink swimsuit.

DongHae and Hyukkie had spread towels and dozed off. Amber was trying to make them get up and go into the sea with her. Heechul applied sunscreen on her and sent her to be with Siwon and Puppy. We toed sleeping HyukHae and they grunted. We kicked them harder to wake them up.

DongHae opened one eye and scowled, “Go away Jinki. Take care of your brood. Let me sleep.”

“DongHae if you cannot stay awake during the day why pull an all-nighter with Hyukkie? It’s unfair to Amber. Get up and go play with her. You can sleep on the flight back home.” I kicked him again.

Heechul put his two cents in, “Siwon and I were up the whole night too and you don’t see us sleeping during the day. Get up lazybones or I will kick you harder.”  

“Oye. Stop it you two. You can’t go around kicking people. If you don’t stop kicking me Jinki, I will write a black report for that puppy of yours.”

I laughed loudly and kicked him once again, “You love my puppy too much to write him black anything. Who will create reports for you at the station then? Get up get up.”

Hyukkie gave a loud snore at that moment shocking Heechul and me into stillness. We threw our hands up and left the two to snore in sync. We called out to the sisters to ogle both of them as they slept and if they wanted, even apply sunscreen on them. Jessica and Krystal happily came over and began rubbing lotion on their bodies very slowly. Soon both of them were actually snoring in sync.

Kibum had joined the two of us and was staring at the sleeping duo and the two sisters who were having a private trip to heaven touching them. Nicole came over and pushed Jessica away to begin lotioning DongHae herself.

We left the sisters busy over the guys and went to check on umma and imo. Both were wearing shorts and tees. They decided to take a leisurely walk along the water line. Uncle called from the water for the sisters to leave the guys alone and join the group in the water. They decided to listen to him and walked into the water.

The three of us spread towels and sat down to relax and soak some sun. We watched the group frolicking in water. Duckie and Byong were holding umma and imo’s hands and the four of them were jumping around in ankle deep waters.

Puppy, Siwon and Tae were into deeper waters, riding the waves with the Fearsome Four. Uncle joined them as the sisters went to swim in even deeper waters.

The three of us compared our surgery scars, paleness of our skins and then went back to ogling our partners. It was the first time anyone apart from imo’s family was seeing Puppy’s bullet and surgery scars. Even when viewed from far, they elicited gasps from Kibum and Heechul.

Heechul turned to me with teary eyes, “How do you manage to send him to work Jinx? If it was Simba, I would make him leave the agency. Not that I am not afraid now. But at his position it is still safer.”

“Cinder, stop the waterworks. We are partners of police offers. If they are strong enough to go to work every day, the least we can do is support them in it without showing any weakness. Puppy loves his job. There is no way I will stop him for doing what he loves. When I got the dreaded phone call, I was afraid every single moment whether he will even live. Then I was afraid of recovery complications. When he began active duty after a year of desk job, I was afraid every single time he left home. But I never showed it. In Cyber Squad he is in an even riskier position because not just him, our entire family is at risk from the big time criminals he is tracking and busting.”

Both of them looked at me shock. “Don’t worry Bummie, they won’t come after your family. It’s me, Byong and Minx they’ll target.”

“Hyunggggg how can you say that so calmly?” Kibum immediately whined.

“Then what do you want me to do?” I raised my brows at him.

“Make him do something else Jinx.” Heechul suggested.

I shook my head. “No. I accepted him as he is. And his police work is a part of him. There are no guarantees in life. We can die in a road accident. We can die of a fatal infection or disease. A terrorist can hijack our plane and blow all of us up. A tsunami can come and kill all of us right now. World can go at war and there can be nuclear holocaust. There are no guarantees.”

They looked at me in horror. I knew Kibum was thinking of our plane ride back to Korea. I smiled at them reassuringly.

“We just live our life for each moment. We are thankful to god for every extra day we have to love each other, our family and friends. We make sure each moment we live counts. We have financially secured our children’s future.”

“Hyung you have secured for the future of two?” Kibum was surprised.

I nodded.

“Your brother is very upset with Kai. I don’t know why. He keeps telling Kai he will throw him out when he comes of age. Appa is also very upset because of them. First hyung and Kai fight and then appa and hyung fight. Our house is like a constant war zone. Umma and I are at our wits end.”

I raised my brows at him wondering what he expected me to do. “Bummie, Tae is too old for me to advice. And even if I did, he wouldn’t listen. What I can do for sure is offer Kai a place in my home and work in my business. Rest assured, as long as I am alive, Kai will never be homeless or without family. Though I doubt Tae will carry out his threats. A lot can change in 8 years.”

Precisely at that moment the sleeping duo gave a particularly loud snore making us laugh softly. We began discussing the future of the duo. Kibum like Puppy believed our aunt and uncle would agree to the relationship. I showed them my crossed fingers.

“Cinder are you going to have another baby?” I teased Heechul.

“What? Why? No way! I am too old. I swear I can hear my bones creaking on cold winter nights.” Heechul shook his head so hard his hair flew around wildly.

“Calm down or your old head will detach and fly off,” Kibum pulled his hair.

Heechul stopped immediately. “Hey what happened to your hair?”

Kibum touched his hair, it was still perfect.

“Stupid, on your legs. Where did they go?” Heechul pointed to his clean, sunscreen-shiny legs.

“Ah. Those hair. I shaved them off in the morning.” Kibum smirked. “See how nice my legs are looking. You both look like hairy baboons in comparison.”

I looked at my pale legs with hardly any hair. Then at Heechul’s stick-thin legs.

“My thighs are the best.” I proclaimed.

“You mean thick and fat right?” Heechul confirmed.

“They are better than your stick thin ones.” I pointed out.

“I think I have the best thighs, they are neither thick nor like a stick.” Kibum wiggled his brows.

We both nodded. Another snore and we looked at the sleeping duo. Three of us shook our heads at the same time.

“I think Tae hyung has the best body.”

“Not at all. He might have had in his twenties. But look at that hint of tummy. Puppy has the best body.”

“You two are blind. Simba has the best body of all.”

“Siwon is too tall.”

“But look at those 6-pack abs. They are to die for.”

“Okay I agree that Puppy has only 4-pack abs at the moment.”

“And I agree that Tae hyung has none.”

The men in question turned to face the sea. There were three loud sighs from us.

“Wow! Just look at that and those legs. Feel so perfect when they wrap around me.”

Only the sound of the waves could be heard for a long time. I looked at the two only to find them staring at me with their mouths hanging open.

“What? Why are you staring at me like that?”

“You, you.” Heechul sputtered and stopped.

“Stop you-ing me Cinder. Spit it out.”

“Youarenotthebottom?” He said in a rush.

“Hyung say it properly. You know Jinki hyung would never understand it unless you spell it out properly.” Kibum poked Heechul.

“You are not the bottom Jinx?”

“I am thick in my thighs only Bummie, not my head. Why do you ask Cinder?”

“Your comment about Jjong’s legs wrapping about you.”

“Oh!” I blushed, only then realizing I had thought aloud. “I was talking to myself.”

“So you are not a bottom hyung?”

“Stop it. It’s way too personal.”

“No it’s not. You have told us even more personal things.” Heechul said and Kibum nodded.

“I have not.” I protested.

“Stop changing the topic hyung. Are you or are you not a bottom.”

“I am.”

“You are confusing us now. How can you say that and still claim to be a bottom?” Heechul whacked my head.

“I am both.”

“Whatttttt?” Both of them exclaimed loudly.

There was a pause in the snores from the sleeping duo. After a moment, the snoring rhythm picked up again.

“I am going for a swim. They can’t have all the fun.” I stood up.

“No way. You are not going anywhere till you explain.” Both of them caught hold of my arms from either side of me and pulled me down.

I sighed deeply. “There is nothing to explain. You are two big dumbos. Cut that out. You are two big idiots. Figure it out yourselves.”

I tried to get up again but they kept their hold on my arms.

“Call us whatever you want. But you have to explain.” Heechul shifted to sit on my lower legs.

“Oww! Get up you big sticky oaf. God you have such a bony . How does Siwon bear your bones poking his hands? Fill up a little.”

Heechul ground himself on my legs. His bones really hurt.

“Owwww stop doing that. Okay, I will explain. Stop torturing me with your bony . God what a Terrible Two you both are.”

Both of them had similar evil smirks on their faces. I looked to confirm whether the sleeping duo was still snoring. They were.

“I am both because sometimes I bottom and sometimes Puppy does. There. Satisfied? Shameless people.”

“We understood that. But we want to know how it is possible?” Kibum ignored my insults.

“The usual way. That’s how.”

Heechul again sat on my legs and began grinding into my bones.

“Ouch! You good for nothing, sticky, piece of bones. Get up from my legs.”

“Not till you promise to explain in detail.”

“Alright I promise. Stop hurting me now. This was supposed to be fun at the beach day. Not torture Jinki at the beach day. Get off me you idiot.”

Heechul raised himself a little to give me some relief. “Now talk or I will sit down again.”

“And I will tickle you.” Kibum seconded with his own brand of equally torturous threat.

“Hyenas!”

“Whatever. Now explain.” Kibum demanded.

I pouted as I explained. “Puppy likes being a top and he also likes being a bottom. Same is with me. So we take turns. The mood decides who is who. It’s not always conscious. No one said that in a gay relationship one person has to be the bottom or top always. Well there are couples like that. But then there also couples like me and Puppy who enjoy being both. There now. Are you vultures satisfied?”

“But how did you know you can top?” Kibum persisted. Heechul nodded.

“I was a bottom only because Minho insisted on it. I had always wanted try topping but Minho wouldn’t allow it. I was not a gay before meeting Minho. I was just academically oriented and never paid attention to either gender. It’s because I fell in love with Minho that I turned gay. I believe in equality in a relationship. So naturally even if I was a top, I would want to bottom. Puppy also believes in an equal relationship. When we make love, we do exactly that and express our love through our bodies. It does not matter who is top or bottom.”

I breathed deeply after my rushed explanation, hoping it’d be enough. Both spoke together.

“Do you think Siwon would allow me to top?”

“Tae hyung would never let me top.”

“That’s for you to work out with your partners. If you are happy in your relationships as they are, then why upset the balance. Let the status quo remain. Do not try to correct what is not a problem. This is why I was not explaining to two dumb asses like you.”

“What were you not explaining Jinki?” Siwon asked.

All three of us jumped. We had been so engrossed in our whispered conversation that we never realized we were no longer alone.

“And why are you sitting on my poor tokki?” Puppy asked Heechul.

“Puppy, save me from these two evil vultures. They are both torturing me.”

“Aww, now be nice to my tokki. He is such a gentle creature. Come on let him go.” Puppy whined at the two who continued to crowd me. Heechul remained perched on my legs and even moved to make me feel his bones again.

“He is a creature alright. And not at all gentle. You need your eyes checked Jjong.” Heechul wagged a finger at Puppy refusing to get up.

“What were you not explaining Jinki?” Siwon asked again while pulling Heechul up and off my legs.

I breathed in relief and stood up. Kibum had retracted his hands. “I was not explaining how my brain works. How can I explain that you only tell me?” I smoothly lied.

Puppy narrowed his eyes. He knew me too well. Maybe he also knew my torturers too well.

Squealing from the kids took the attention away from me. The six of them were gathered around the sleeping and snoring duo. Amber poked her father with her foot and he just swatted it away without breaking a snore.

The children looked at each other and sat around them. They began scooping sand over the two prone bodies.

“Let me know when you want to eat or drink something.” I called to them. They nodded and continued burying the bodies. They divided into teams of three. Amber, Kai and Duckie worked over DongHae. Minx, Sehun and Byong worked on Hyukkie. Minx and Sehun sent Byong to fetch his sand castle tools that I had brought from home. Sehun shoveled, Minx put it in a cups and buckets and Byong poured it over Hyukkie.

I pulled Puppy to sit on my towel with me. Tae and uncle were still in the sea. Soo and Doc were walking along the water edge holding hands. Umma and imo were sitting near the water edge, getting their clothes wet.

The temperature had steadily risen up and it was an unusually warm day and we were fortunate to plan a beach trip on such a day. Siwon and Heechul walked off to enquire about water sports. Kibum kept staring at Puppy and me.

“Do I have something on my face hyung?” Puppy finally asked him.

He shook his head but did not look away.

“Bummie!” I said in a soft voice and continued when he focused on me. “Don’t sprain your brain Bummie. Please do not try to mend what is not broken. It is not you and you won’t be happy.”

He kept staring at Puppy and nodded.

“Oh I forgot hyung. Tae hyung wants you to join him in the water.”

At last Kibum looked away from us and at Taemin who waved at him from the water. He got up and walked off. I breathed in relief. His staring had been spooking me.

“So, yeobo now tell me what was the scene all about. I am sure hyung was staring at me because of that only.” Puppy put one arm around my shoulders and leaned back on one hand.

I blushed, not knowing what to tell him.

“Interesting. So it was a topic again. Why do the three of you end up discussing when alone?”

“Because they are two dumb idiots who like to pick my brain.”

“What was it this time?”

“I accidentally thought aloud how perfect your legs feel when wrapped around me.”

“And now they want to try it with Super and Tae hyung.”

I nodded.

“Super may, Tae hyung never.”

I nodded. We smiled at each other, silently acknowledging it was their headache not ours. We watched the kids hard at work at their self-appointed task. Our trio had covered the legs and were working on the torso. The second group had covered the chest and were working their way down. Byong had shared his mug with Duckie who was happily scooping sand in it and pouring it anywhere on DongHae’s body.

Siwon and Heechul returned with the information on the water activities. They will open in another half hour and Siwon had booked us for parasailing first followed by jet skiing. Then we could go scuba diving if interested.

We called over the children to have food. We wanted at least an hour’s gap between eating and sports. The older ones wolfed down their sandwiches and went back to their sand activity. We ensure the younger ones ate more slowly. All sipped their flavored milks through straws while happily playing with sand.

Four of us sat in comfortable silence and Heechul kept glancing between me and Puppy till finally Puppy raised his brows in question and winked. Heechul blushed and stopped looking at us. Puppy decided to avenge my torture.

“So, Hee hyung have you decided what you want to be?”

He shook his head blushing.

“Have you talked to Super about it?”

Another head shake. Now Siwon was interested and watching us keenly.

“Want me to talk to him?”

Another shake.

“Talk to me about what?” Siwon couldn’t control anymore.

“Something very nice Super. But depends on how you view it.” Puppy winked again at Heechul.

“What are you keeping from me Princess?” Siwon turned the heat on Heechul.

“Nothing important Simba. Ignore this Puppy. He is just taking revenge for Jinx.”

“I’d still like to know it. Maybe I can help.” Siwon insisted.

Puppy laughed at that, “Only you can help with it Super.”

“I will tell you when we are back home.” Heechul choked out.

“Hold him to it Super. I’d definitely be interested to know your thoughts on it.” Puppy smirked.

I elbowed Puppy to silence him. Children were nearby and I didn’t want them to become interested or overhear us. He squeezed my shoulder to let me know he knew what he was doing. I agreed. Left to his own devices, it would be a decade before Heechul gathered enough courage to tell Siwon.

Siwon looked speculatively at his blushing partner and smiled. He’d decided to be patient. Taking out food, he got us to eat as well. This was one leisurely day we were spending in all of our holiday. Children had buried the sleeping duo under the sand till their necks. And now were busy building a grand sand castle.

“Do you think DongHae would permit Amber to have a boyfriend?” I asked Siwon.

“She is too young Jinki.”

“You’d promised your daughter away at 14. Amber is already 13. I am talking about a boyfriend not a husband.”

“I still say she is too young to be interested in boys.”

“What if she starts liking a boy?”

“Why this sudden thought? Do you know something I don’t?”

“What do you think of Kai?”

“He is a nice boy. A little too grown up for his age. But that’s probably because of his parents.”

“What if he became interested in Amber?”

Siwon looked at the kids. We all did. We watched Kai tuck in Amber’s hair behind her ears as she worked with the sand. She looked at him and smiled. He blushed and handed her more sand to work with.

“They have come a long way during the holiday. All they did earlier was kick and punch each other. I think DongHae will throw a tantrum if Amber gets interested in any boy, leave aside Kai.” Siwon answered my question.

“Kai is not learning this from his parents. I can see the influence of you two here. Tae and Key don’t behave this tenderly with each other. At least not out of bed I think.” Heechul guessed.

“Do you think he will revert to his earlier ways on reaching Daegu?” I wondered.

“If he does, he can forget holding the interest of any girl.” Siwon gave his verdict.

“He was such a sweet child. His parents need to take care better care of his psychological development. I think he is learning a lot of wrong things at home.” I spoke softly, remembering the month I took care of him.

“Stop over thinking yeobo. It is not in your hands. If you want to worry then do it about Sehun. He is such a sweet child even now. He should remain that way for the happiness our daughter.” Puppy smoothed my brows that had scrunched up.

“His parents are doing an excellent job. And you two are also there to straighten him out if necessary.” Siwon nodded approvingly.

“Yes, if you need to worry about anyone, then let it be Byong. Our daughter’s happiness depends on it.” Heechul pointed out.

Puppy and I laughed. “What? You two are still stuck on it? She may not even like him as she grows up.”

“I think she will Jjong.” Siwon was confident.

We watched as Duckie fed Byong some sand and he swallowed it with a huge grin. He then put some sand on her hair and she laughed. And they forgot the castle and began throwing sand on each other. After about ten minutes they got tired of it. Heechul called out to them to go to their grandmothers for a wash. They ran off to imo and umma who waded into the waves to wash off all the sand from their bodies and hair.

We called the kids and went for the adventure activities. Heechul and Siwon took the kids parasailing while Puppy and I went scuba diving. Puppy made a love sign with his hands when we were underwater. I linked our pinky fingers as we swam around looking at the fishes.

As we came up and rode back to the shore, Puppy whispered to me, “You look very hot in this diving suit. If we did not have the guide with us, I’d have loved you in that school of fishes we saw. Just imagine me moving in you as the fishes swim all around us. Should we go down again without the guide?”

“erted Puppy.”

“Always, for you.”

“We’ll go on a seaside holiday. Maybe then.”

We grinned at each other naughtily.

Heechul and Siwon exchanged places with us and we went jet skiing with the kids. It was so exhilarating to ride the waves on the skis. The boat went very slowly when it was Byong’s and Duckie’s turns. The older kids took two turns before they were satisfied enough to turn back.

They wanted to go parasailing again. We took them with us and watched them go up in pairs. They yelled and whooped. Not just the ones in the air but the ones in the boat as well. We went up individually with Duckie and Byong as at least one of us needed to remain in the boat with the kids.

When it was his turn, Puppy screamed from above, “I love you tokki.”

I heard it faintly and yelled right back, “I love you too Puppy.”

Kids began laughing at our cheesiness. Sehun wanted to go up so he could scream the same for Minx. I reminded him they had gone up together, not singly like me and Puppy.

He looked sad for a moment then brightened up and smiled at me before turning to Minx, “I love you Minnie.”

“I love you too Hunnie.” She replied smiling just as brightly.

“Now who is cheesy?” I poked them. Our parasailing guides laughed with us. Kai looked at Amber but kept his silence.

When Puppy was seated next to me in the boat, the guide asked us who the kids in love were. Puppy looked at me in question and I gave him the details. He smiled and answered, “That one is our daughter and holding her hand is our future son-in-law.”

He thought we were joking and began laughing. We shrugged and relaxed against each other enjoying the wind and the waves.

As we reached the shore, Taekey were getting off the scuba diving boat with the Sisters and Heechul and Siwon were helping Jiyeon into it with uncle, Soo and Doc. They themselves went for a quick jet skiing round.

TaeKey immediately jumped into the parasailing boat and rode off with the sisters. We went back to our things and had more food. Water activities really made one hungry. We told the children they had another two hours before we’d need to wind up. They wanted to go into the waves again.

Puppy and I raced them to the water. I held on tightly to the hands of the younger two in shallow waters while Puppy waded in deeper with the older four. The younger ones wanted to move out quite soon. I sent them off to umma and imo, then went to help Puppy with his four. We bobbed with the incoming waves and made sure to not go in deeper. Each of us held the hands of two kids. After some time Heechul and Siwon joined us and took two kids from us. We tread on water for a long time, laughing with each incoming wave.

When our hands grew numb from holding on tight to the children, we decided to go finish the big sand castle. Amber poured water on her father’s face to wake him. Poor man was shocked to find himself immobile. Duckie and Byong began removing the sand. Only to throw it on his sputtering face. Amber allowed it to teach her father a lesson and then guided them in freeing his hands and arms first. The children then laughed their way to us and left him to dig himself and his Hyukkie out.

We poured water on the sand and molded into shape of turrets and stones. Soon a lop-sided castle took shape. DongHae had dug out Hyukkie and they both waded into the sea to wash off the sand. We also went in to wash our sand off and returned to change clothes.

Towels were held up as shields for each of the older child to change into regular clothes. The boys changed Byong while the girls changed Duckie. Soon we were all dressed and then came another problem. Our shoes were nowhere to be found. It turned out Duckie and Byong had buried them under sand and forgotten the spot.

We began digging all around our bags as the kids had always been within our sight. There was a whole lot of laughter and sand pouring over the hair as the kids played more than searched. We finally located the shoes under the sand castle. No wonder the kids were not worried. All of them knew the spot and stood laughing at us when we help up the shoes.

We chased after the squealing and laughing kids to roll them in sand after catching them. They were already covered in sand, what was some more. It turned into a full-fledge sand wrestling with the kids ganging up on us. What were four grown adults against six squealing kids? We admitted defeat as they sat on us, only to tickle them into submission.

Finally we dusted our hair and clothes and trotted back to wear our sandy shoes. Everyone was changed into proper clothes. Byong and Duckie promptly began throwing sand over Jiyeon. She laughed and bent down to hug them tight till they screamed for mercy. Amber ignored her father and walked to the bus with Jiyeon.

In the bus everyone again cheered the three organizers for the best holiday ever. Even the sisters joined in the cheering. Once everyone settled down, Heechul asked DongHae if he was sunburned.

“No I am not why do you ask?”

“You should thank Jessica, Nicole and Krystal for applying sunscreen lotion on you.”

“What? No they did not.”

“Yes we did. When you were sleeping.” The sisters spoke together, happily remembering those moments.

“And they had loads of fun doing it hyung. Just look how happy they are remembering it.” Kibum gave more details.

DongHae and Hyukkie turned to look at him and scowled. They looked at each other and frowned even more.

“And both of you snore.” I added.

“In sync.” Kibum and Heechul said together.

Everyone was laughing by that time, even the kids.

“DongHae you have a lovely body. I just loved smoothing lotion on it.” Jessica winked at DonHae.

“I think Hyukkie has a better one.” Nicole gave her opinion.

HyukHae didn’t know whether to scream or blush. I was sure they’d never sleep on the beach again. Umma came to Hyukkie’s defence. “Let the boys be. That’s enough. You are an evil bunch of men, letting women maul my sleeping Hyukkie.”

We kept laughing all the way to the hotel. It was way too hilarious a memory. Kibum whined forgetting to record it on camera.

In the hotel, Heechul and Siwon took Byong and Duckie for a bath in their room. I handed them Byong’s clothes for the journey. Puppy and kids went to shower as I dusted all the sandy clothes in the balcony and then put them in paper sacks before arranging them in the bag.

There was a knock on our door and I opened it to find Minx with a crying Amber. I immediately ushered them in asking a million questions.

Minx whispered in my ear, “Ummappa, unni is bleeding. She was crying in the bathroom. I told her what you told me. But she is still crying and I don’t know how to stop her bleeding.”

I mentally face palmed. Then hugged Amber. She hugged me back hard, buried her face in my neck and continued crying. “Ummappa help me. I am going to die. I am bleeding inside.”

I kissed her head, sat down and pulled her into my lap. “You are not dying baby girl. You are just growing up into a young woman. Bleeding is normal when that happens. It’s just a sign that your body is now growing and you are not a child anymore. It will stop within a few days. And it is not enough for you to die.”

Amber continued to sniff. I turned to Minx, “Minx will you check the fridge and take out three of those white colored bottles?”

She quickly handed me three small bottles of Pina Coladas. I opened and gave them one each and taking one myself I raised it in a toast. “Here’s to Amber becoming a young woman. Congratulations Amber!”

“Congratulations unni!”

We clinked the bottles and drank from the bottle. Amber stopped crying and smiled at me. “It is something to be happy about Amber. Do you know in some cultures a big feast is held for the whole village when a girl gets her first period? It is a time to celebrate, not cry. Now wait here while I find something for you to use to prevent your clothes from staining. Drink up the mocktails. I will be back in a jiffy.”

I went to imo’s room and asked her if she or the girls had something for Amber to use and if she could teach Amber how to use it. She didn’t have anything. She asked uncle to finish his bath quickly and go shopping. I decided to send Puppy along so he could learn it too.

Puppy was surprised to see the girls slurping on their drinks when he entered the room. As he donned his t-shirt I pulled him out of the room. After a brief explanation he agreed to go shopping with imo and uncle. He dressed quickly and left the room. Imo entered the room with a padding of soft tissue papers for Amber. I locked the door and left her with the girls to help Amber, while I went to take a quick shower myself.

I banged my head on the shower wall and mentally cursed DongHae for not having a better relationship with his daughter and leaving the motherless girl totally ignorant about such important facts of her adolescence. It was fortunate that Minx was with her and knew enough to understand what was happening without panicking herself.

I called out before leaving the bathroom. Imo had left to go shopping. I asked Amber if she was feeling comfortable. She nodded hesitantly. We went into the girls’ room so Minx could take her shower. I helped Amber pack, leaving a change of clothes out if she needed it. She kept a out and put the rest of the clothes back in the bag.

While waiting, I explained to Amber the need to maintain proper hygiene. She nodded her understanding. “How will I tell appa? And what do I do for school?” Amber worried.

“I will tell DongHae. You don’t worry about it. About the school imo-halmeoni will explain how to take care. You can always talk to imo-halmeoni if you have any questions or problems. If you feel shy talking to her, you can talk to me. I will tell you what I know, rest I can read up or ask imo. Okay?” I comforted her with a hug.

“Ummappa why do I have to bleed when I become a woman?”

“Have you studied the human reproductive system?”

“Yes.”

“This is all about hormones now. Due to changes in two main female hormones, ovaries mature and begin maturing one egg every month. You remember about human egg and fertilization?”

She nodded.

“Human egg is a microscopic cell, not like the eggs we eat.”

She laughed at that. “I remember ummappa.”

“Okay genius. When the ovary matures and releases the egg, the uterus becomes thick and cushiony in preparation for the baby.” At her puzzled face, I looked around and located a rose in the room. I fetched it and plucked off the petals. “See this green bulged out base at the bottom?”

She nodded.

“It is equal to female uterus in the flowers. Human one looks different, but purpose is the same. The preparation and egg maturity takes about 15 days. It’s different in everyone. If fertilization does not take place then hormones change again and after waiting for 14 days, the cushion breaks down.”

“So 15 days and then 14 days?”

“Yes. This is different for everyone and will be different for you also. But it’s about 29 days. It can be 26 to 34 days.”

She nodded again.

“When the cushion breaks, it flows out of the body as blood. There can also be thicker blood like jelly.”

“How many days will I bleed?”

“It can be 3 to 7 days, maybe more. And the first day is the beginning of the 29 days again. Got it?”

“Yes. Does it mean it will happen every month?”

“Yes. But it is nothing to worry about. Every woman has it. Even Soo and Ji.”

Minx came into the room at that time. “Umma did you tell her yet that she will also grow s like Soo and Ji?”

I mentally face palmed again. Was there no end to this day?

“Not yet Minx. But you have told her just now.” I smiled at her.

“Wow Amber unni. Your s will grow.” She moved her hand to show what she was saying. “And then you will have to wear a bra. I will also one day. I am waiting.” She began bouncing in happiness.

“But I don’t want to wear one Minx.”

I intervened, “Don’t worry. Not everyone has to.” I ruffled Amber’s hair and prayed for imo to return soon. “Keep an extra pair of in your backpack and if you want an extra set of jeans. And when imo-halmeoni shows you, learn properly. Try it yourself. Because you will need to do it on your own from today on. Keep extra ones in your backpack. Ask her how often you need to change.”

She nodded. There was a knock on the door and imo entered. I asked Minx to pick up her clothes and left imo and Amber alone. Puppy was still blushing as he tried to come to terms with his shopping trip. I pinched his cheeks and kissed his head. I packed our bag and locked it. Puppy lined up our luggage for check out. Minx chattered about how soon she wanted to grow up. I told her not to discuss about Amber with anyone as it was her private matter and up to her whom she told. Minx nodded.

We sent her to Soo’s room and went to talk with HyukHae. Both were lining up their bags near the door. I closed the door and rounded on DongHae.

“You are one terrible father you know. Your daughter is 13 years old and totally unaware of what to expect from her changing body and teenage years. Do you in anyway feel responsible for her or not? Or is it the responsibility of Heechul and me?”

Puppy rubbed my arm to calm me but I could only think of how terrified Amber looked when she entered our room.

“What happened Jinki? What did I do?” DongHae paled in the face of my anger. He had never seen me lose my temper.

“Hyukkie you are a man I know. But if you want to be with this idiot here, you will have to take the responsibility of a maturing girl. You will have to be not only a second father but also a mother to her. Can you do it? If not, then both of you don’t deserve a lovely girl like her.”

“Calm down hyung and tell me what happened. Hae hyung, get some water for Jinki hyung.” Hyukkie hugged me.

“She started her first period. She was terrified and crying and had no idea why she was bleeding. She thought she was going to die. What sort of an idiotic father leaves his teenage daughter so clueless? What kind of relationship you have with your daughter that she is scared to tell you about it?” I hissed at DongHae.

He and Hyukkie gasped at my words. “I am sorry Jinki. I didn’t realize that my baby had grown up this much.” DongHae whispered in shock.

“Now you know. You better start taking more interest in her life DongHae. Or soon it will be too late. Do I make myself clear?”

“But I don’t know what to do or say to her.” He looked at Hyukkie who began rubbing his back to comfort him.

“Then ask us. Ask imo. Ask your mother. But become responsible. It’s not that I mind explaining things to her. But I am not her parent. I don’t know if you want her to know the things I told her till now or will tell in the future. Puppy and I have a very different style of parenting. You may not like it.”

“Thank you for taking care of this Jinki. How did you explain her to deal with it?”

“Imo is guiding her as we speak. But I had to explain what it is and what to expect. She lives with you not us. You will need to be more in tune with her development and she has to be able to come to you for her needs. Better get ready, as next thing is growing s and wearing a bra.”

DongHae and Hyukkie paled at the thought of dealing with the issue.

Puppy spoke for the first time, “We also have a daughter. And we live with imo. Still we take our responsibility as her parents seriously. We have already explained periods to her and development. I went with imo and uncle today to learn how to shop for pads and which are the best type for a growing girl. We do not know everything. But we are willing to learn and prepare our daughter so she is comfortable with the changes. She is our responsibility not imo’s. We don’t mind being parents to Amber also, but remember that it will only confuse her when the authority gets divided between you as her father and us. Wake up and face the reality.”

He guided me out of their room and softly closed the door. Putting his arm around me, Puppy hugged me as he knocked on Amber’s door and entered at her soft “come in”.

She was sitting staring out of the window. Puppy hugged her.

“Hey baby girl. Oops. I need to find a new name for you. Are you feeling okay?”

“Baby girl is good. Don’t change it Puppy appa. I don’t want to grow up.” She hugged him back.

“Aww baby girl. You will be alright once you’ve had time to wrap your head around it. It is too new a change right now. Let it grow on you. And we are always there for you, day or night. Just give us a call and you will find us with you, no matter what time it is. Promise?”

“Promise. Thank you Puppy appa. I don’t know what I’d have done today without you all. Why did my mother leave me alone?” She began crying in earnest.

I hugged her along with Puppy. “Sshh baby. Don’t think that. You call me ummappa and think you are without a mother? I am always there for you baby. You are a part of our family. You are Minx’s older sister. Don’t cry honey pie.”

“Baby girl you better stop crying. Your ummappa’s face is scrunching up and he is going to begin crying any moment now. I am sure you don’t want that to happen.”

“You are a fine one to talk Puppy. My face is only scrunching up. You are already tearing. Honey pie you better stop crying. Once Puppy starts crying, there is no stopping him. He will cry all the way back to Korea.”

Amber sniffed, “You both are so funny. Stop crying. Minx will not forgive me if I make either of you cry.”

“Then come to our room. I missed the celebratory drink.” Puppy pulled her into our room.

I brought her bags and lined them up with ours. Puppy took out bottles of Mary and we toasted to our holiday and began glugging. He started talking about some of his funny cases and soon Amber was rolling with laughter. Oh yes, my Puppy was a master at loving the kids.

We were called down for dinner. We gulped down our drinks and went for dinner with linked arms, Amber between us. It was a quick dinner as the second group was on an earlier flight. We said our goodbyes to the sisters and invited them to Korea. They hugged all of us before leaving for the next leg of their US tour.

Uncle, Siwon and Puppy settled the bills while we loaded the luggage into the bus. We were laughing as we sat in the bus for the last time. Byong and Duckie fell asleep immediately. We thanked our bus driver for taking such good care of us. Puppy gave him an envelope containing a hefty tip as a thank you gift. We invited him also to Korea.

At the airport, we checked in our luggage and got our boarding passes and went through the security check together. I confirmed with Amber if she had kept extra pads for the flight in her backpack. She nodded. Imo reminded her to change every few hours. She nodded and hugged her tight. I whispered to her that she could take the air stewardess’s help if she needed anything. Also umma was there to help her if need be.

DongHae came over and overheard me. “I will help her. I know what to do.” He said ruffling her hair.

She hugged me tight and buried her head in my chest.

“He’s your father honey pie. Trust him. He will take good care of you.” I tried to give her the confidence which had been seriously undermined by the complete lack of paternal care during the holiday.

She stayed next to Puppy and me till their flight was announced. She left us with a last tight hug and a tiny smile. DongHae and Hyukkie walked with their arms wrapped around her drooping shoulders. As she disappeared from my sight, I teared up. Puppy hugged me without any word. As he rubbed my back, I slowly calmed down and stopped crying.

Only then did he speak, “Yeobo don’t worry. She will be sleeping for most of the flight. And we will land soon after them. You might even see her at the airport.”

I nodded and with a last sniff moved out of his arm. Heechul and Siwon were holding sleeping Byong and Duckie. Even Minx and Sehun were almost asleep. We sat down to wait for our flight announcement. Minx and Sehun went to sleep on our shoulders. We wrapped our arms around them to make them more comfortable.

“Thank you jagi for the wonderful holiday. Even more for the wonderful family. Love you so much.”

“Love you too yeobo. You make it so easy.”

“Cheesy Puppy.”

“Always, for you.”