23

Sweet Nothings

[florist noona!luhan and sehun]

 

 

 

After changing into his causal, Sehun looked at himself in the mirror. Combing his hair with his fingers, he buttoned his shirt before tucking it into his pants. Closing his locker’s door, he slung his bag on his shoulder.

Walking out of the café, he bid his colleagues goodbye and grabbed the bag on the counter. There was a bright smile on his face as he stepped into the flower’s shop next door instead of going home straight. As expected, the shop was crowded with people.

Not that it was a surprise, knowing that most of them were here for the owners of shop rather than for the flowers. But he couldn’t blame them since the owners here were extremely beautiful. There was Baekhee, the petite girl with a bright smile. Then there was Yixin, a warm and gentle girl who was always polite.

Finally, there was Luhan. Out of the three, Sehun felt that Luhan was the prettiest. Not that he would admit this to anyone. Luhan’s hair was a shade of dark brown, ending just above her . Her hair had a slight wave and she liked tying it up when the weather got too hot. Her eyes had to be her best features, beautiful doe eyes that sparkled with joy whenever she was happy. 

She was warm and friendly, a smile here and there, a kind word when she saw you looking down. It was expected that many of the customers had a crush on Luhan which served to irritate Sehun to no end.

Luhan had grown up with Sehun, she was older than him by about four years. When they were younger, Luhan had been the one who protected Sehun. Despite looking so small and fragile, she was extremely scary when she was angered.

Her moods were rather unpredictable as well especially it was that time of the month and Sehun was often the one who had to soothe her with ice creams and dramas. Not that Sehun minded because Luhan was worth it.

“Cakes?” He held up a bag which he had asked Kyungsoo to leave aside for him. Luhan looked up from the bouquet of flowers, a dazzling smile on her face as she made her way to Sehun.

She instructed Baekhee to look after the shop before pulling Sehun to the office at the back of the shop. “Your work ended?”

Sehun nodded, “Yixin not working today?”

“She went out with her doctor boyfriend,” Luhan said as she took out the cakes and started eating. “This is nice, new flavour of the month?”

“Lemon with a hint of peach and – I don’t really remember what else,” Sehun tucked a strand of stray hair behind Luhan’s ears; an action he had done a million times. 

Looking at her now, Sehun had the strongest urge to kiss her on her lips. Not that he will ever do so as he sat back down, Luhan had a boyfriend or rather fiancé who loved her deeply. Sehun had remembered how his heart fell when Luhan introduced her boyfriend to him.

That night, he had called Jongin and headed out to get drunk. Unlike many other love stories where one of them didn’t have the courage to confess, Sehun had told Luhan. Under a canopy of lights with the stars shinning above, Sehun had seranded her as he bent down with a bouquet of roses in his hands. 

With solemn eyes, he had asked Luhan to be his girlfriend. Luhan had cried and apologized, saying that she didn’t see Sehun that way. Despite his heart hurting so bad, Sehun had got up and smiled. He had patted Luhan, telling her that it was okay. They could just go back to being best friends. 

It didn’t matter but really, it did. However, compared to losing her forever, Sehun decided that he wanted to stay beside her more. It didn’t matter that she would never reciprocate his feelings, Sehun would still protect her from the dark. He would be her knight until someone else came along. 

Her smile was more important than his feelings. Luhan who had kissed his cuts when they were younger, Luhan who had beamed proudly when Sehun did well in his exams, she meant the world to Sehun.

He refused to let anyone hurt her and this included himself. Therefore, if his feelings for her hurt her, Sehun will try his hardest to keep it in. Never to be mentioned until the end of time, for Luhan, he was willing.

Yet, the time had come for him to leave her side. He had done his job protecting her these past few years and now another man will be taking the reins from him. “I am leaving this Sunday.”

Luhan stopped eating, looking at Sehun. Her eyes filled with hurt, confusion and disbelief. “Why? You never mentioned this to me before.”

“I managed to get a scholarship to go oversea, the school is a rather prestigious one.” Sehun told her, hardening his heart. Maybe, deep down inside, he was tired.

“Yo – you are not attending my wedding?” Luhan asked, her appetite gone.

Sehun didn’t think that it was possible for such cruel words to come out from her. But he couldn’t blame her, he was the fool here. “I am afraid not – “

“But you promised,” Luhan pointed out. “You are going to give me away, you are going to be there to – “

“I am sorry,” Sehun told her. No matter what promises he made, he had never broke anyone of them but this was one that he couldn’t fulfil. “I have something else that I wanted to show you.”

Luhan didn’t say anything as she followed him out of the shop. Sitting on his bicycle, Luhan had wrapped her arms around Sehun’s waist. Her heart hurt when she realised that Sehun won’t be next to her anymore.

This man who had accompanied her for the past few years, this man who witnessed most of her most important events, this man who promised to stay beside her – he was going to leave her behind. 

She hated him, she hated herself more for being so selfish. She had been the one who refused to let go of his hand, treating him as a life buoy. She had never hated another person so much, she despised herself.

The bicycle came to a stop as Sehun held her hand, leading her to her house. Passed the gates, they stopped in front of the tree beside her house. There was a swing, decorated with roses on both of the handles. Her tears fell because Sehun had remembered, Luhan’s dream to own this swing. She swallowed, wanting to say something but nothing came out.

Taking out a crown of flowers, Sehun placed it on Luhan’s head. “Princess Luhan, beautiful princess Luhan. Sorry that this took so long.”

Luhan shook her head as she leaned against him. This stupid male who took her seriously, this stupid male who noticed and remembered every single thing she had said and done. She had hurt him by refusing to let him go, she had hurt him so badly. “I am sorry, I am sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter anymore,” Sehun smiled. He had known what she was apologising for but really, there wasn’t anything she had to apologise for. Sehun had done this willingly because he loved her.

“Sehun, don’t leave.” Her voice soft, much like the wind. Just one more time, let her be wilful one last time. Pulling away from her, Sehun had placed his hands on Luhan’s arms. Giving her the gentlest kiss on her forehead, he had given her a smile.

“Be happy, Luhan.” Sehun leaned in and whispered beside her ears. Thumbing her tears away, Sehun pressed another kiss on her forehead and walked away. Luhan was left staring at his retreating back and wished that her heart could stop hurting so much.

 

 

 

 

*an: like i said, currently in the mood to do a fem!sehun or fem!luhan but i am not going to do yuri. just one of them being fem is enough. also, there are prompts that I have written but not post here. for those you can check it out at my ask.fm. i didn't put it here because it is too short (anything less than 500 words will be at ask.fm) and do continue to drop more prompts for me. 

for those interested, the swing looked like this.

[ask.fm]