22

Sweet Nothings

[princess!luhan and ninja!sehun]

 

 

 

 

Luhan sighed softly, looking around at all the generals and soldiers who was toasting each other cup after cup of wine. She hated this sort of gathering but being the lord’s daughter, she was required to show her face for this sort of event.

Being more of an introvert, she wasn’t really sure on how to handle overly friendly people who approached her. Therefore, she often came across as cold and aloof to everyone else when in actual fact, she was just at a loss on how to react accordingly.

Standing up, she excused herself by saying that she was tired. Her father had given his approval as concern filled his eyes, Luhan had given him a small smile before exiting the room. Despite looking stern and at times, unapproachable, Luhan knew that her father doted on her.

Growing up, her body had always been a little weak compared to her siblings. Perhaps, it had to do with the fact that she was the youngest out of the three of them and hence, the extra affection from her father. But Luhan knew that it had more to do with the fact that she resembled her mother the most of the three of them.

Her mother had passed away about three years back and it was clear that her father still mourned her death. They had been a loving couple, making everyone envious of their relationship. Deep down, Luhan longed to have such a relationship like them.

However, she knew that it was only her wishful thinking. Her marriage had already been set and once she turned eighteen, she will be married off to one of neighbouring state general’s son just like her sister who got married not long ago.

She remembered how unwilling her elder sister was, she remembered the tears as she confided in Luhan of her fears. Luhan had patted her because there wasn’t anything that she could do besides staying beside her sister, telling her that it will be fine.

The next morning, her sister’s eyes were a little red from crying but her fragility and weakness was concealed deep inside. Before she left, she had hugged Luhan tightly. For a moment there, Luhan had wanted to tell her to run away and find her own happiness.

But they didn’t have such freedom to find their own happiness, they didn’t have a say in that. Letting her go reluctantly, Luhan waved at her sister. Her sister had been a beautiful sight, her back straight, looking regal and proud. She didn’t show any fear as she set off and Luhan hoped that she could do that too when it was her turn.

She was broken out of her musing when she felt someone grabbing her wrist. Turning back, she realised that it was her supposed fiancé who reeked of alcohol. His eyes were glassy, a clear sign that he was drunk but no matter how much Luhan struggled, she couldn’t shrug him off.

“Let go,” she said frostily, not showing any of the panic and the anxiety when her fiancé leaned in closer. She had heard of rumours about this male like how he often visited the red light district, not returning home for days at one end. He had a bad temper, a womaniser - basically put, his reputation was in tatters.

“What are you afraid off? You will be mine eventually, it is just a matter of when.” Luhan could clearly see the lust that was in his eyes as he gave her an onceover. It made her stomach turned, she didn’t want her first time to be this male.

This male who won’t never cherish her, this male who simply see Luhan as a tool. Slapping him for his insolence, Luhan mustered her coldest glare at him. “Please have some respect for yourself.”

The male had smirked as his hold on Luhan’s wrist tightened. “Feisty but no worries, I will break you. I will make sure that you will be – “

No, Luhan didn’t want to know what he had in plan for her. She just wanted to get away from him, as far away as possible. She pushed him, kicked him but he never once released her when all of a sudden, her fiancé was on the floor.

An arm was around her shoulder, her face was buried in someone’s chest. It was warm and safe. “Get away from here before I called the lord – “

“She is mine!” The male on the floor got up quickly, his judgement clouded by the alcohol. “I am not going away until I make her mine today – “

In just a minute, he felt something cold on his neck. Luhan saw a knife being placed on her fiance's neck and his face paled visibly. “Get away from her.”

Coming to his sense, Luhan’s fiancé had narrowed his eyes before going away. Luhan heaved a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Sehun.”

“There isn’t a need to thank me, protecting you is my responsibility.” Sehun smiled at her, touching her face with gently before taking up her wrist to examine it. “Did he hurt you? I am sorry for not turning up sooner.”

Luhan shook her head, giving him a smile back. After seeing her fiancé, Luhan was more certain than ever that this marriage was a mistake from the start. But her father needed the neighbouring lord’s support and Luhan was simply a pawn no matter how much her father doted on her.

If possible, she wanted to marry this male in front of her. This male who had been by her side since she was young, this male who had taken care of her and protected her. He didn’t see her as his master nor as a princess because Sehun had looked past the surface to get to know the real Luhan.

But there was no escaping this marriage and Luhan had long made up her mind to be a filial daughter. Thanking him once more, Luhan took back her hands from him. She couldn’t afford to let herself fall any deeper when it was clear that she couldn't be with him ever.

Turning on her back, she continued on her way to her room. If she had turned back, she might have seen the longing in Sehun’s eyes. But she didn’t and she will never know about how much Sehun had loved her. Sehun who had loved the Luhan who could be a little headstrong at times, the Luhan who never once faltered as she kept moving forward.

He loved her too much to ask her to run away with him because knew that Luhan will never forgive herself if she just left and this was why Sehun will never let her know of his feelings. All he could do was to protect her from the shadows, making sure that she didn’t come to any harm. He had sworn he will do everything to keep her safe even at the expense of his life. 

If they were in a different lifetime then maybe this love could bear fruit. But they weren’t and they each had their own responsibilities to bear in this lifetime, responsibilities that they couldn’t escape from.

Maybe it had been destined from the start that as much as they loved each other, this love that they had was doomed from the start. 

 

*an: after seeing the poll, i have come to a decision. i will most probably do both fics just that i will post the palace!au fic later. that's all for now and if you do happen to have a prompt, you can leave it in my ask.fm. currently, i am in the mood to write some female!luhan or female!sehun, so if you have a good prompt for that, do drop it for me. 

[ask.fm]