18

Sweet Nothings

[prompt: harrypotter!au with half-veela!luhan and sehun]

 

 

 

Luhan was six years old when the new Korean family moved in next door, he was beyond excited at the prospect of having a new friend when he spied a boy of the same age getting out of the moving truck.

He had already made up his mind that he will be best friend with the new boy and he had told this to his mother. Luhan’s mother had looked down at her son beside her, ruffling his hair with a gentle smile on her face.

Secretly, the woman had sighed because she didn’t realise how lonely her son had been until now. It was then that she hated her half veela self, she hated how the same blood had flowed in Luhan as well. Everyone had been afraid of their family, causing them to stay away and in the process, Luhan was left friendless. They were afraid of the unknown and in the end, they stayed away. 

She could only hope that the new family didn’t catch news of their half veela status, she didn’t want to see the disappointment in Luhan’s face when yet another person had rejected his friendship. 

 

 

Under his mother’s instruction, Luhan had carried a plate of cookies to his new neighbour the very next day. Tiptoeing slightly, Luhan balanced the plate on one of his hands while the other hand reached up to press the doorbell. He was b with excitement, waiting for the door to open.

The door swung open after a few second, revealing an elegant looking woman. There was a kind smile on her face when she spotted Luhan. Blushing hotly, Luhan held out the plate. “I am Luhan! I live next door and this is welcome gift!”

Taking the plate of cookies from his hands, the woman had thanked Luhan. Looking behind her, she saw her son clutching her skirt tightly. Her baby boy had always been a little shy and that was the reason why he wasn’t good at making friends. Seeing this was an opportunity for her baby boy, she had stepped aside and pushing him foward slightly. “Sehun, go on and thank Luhan for the cookies.”

“Thank – thank you!” Sehun stuttered a little, his cheeks tinged with a slight pink. Luhan’s smile grew wider as he reached out to hold Sehun’s hands in his.

“We are going to be best friends!” Luhan declared. That was the very start of their friendship.

 

 

Sehun looked exasperatedly at Luhan who once again managed to trip on air. He hurried over to help him up, making sure that the male was fine before picking up the books on the floor for him. Luhan was simply standing there, a smile on his face.

“So I guess, I am forgiven?” Luahn asked when Sehun handed him his books.

Sehun never had the ability to stay angry at Luhan for long, not since they were young. This had been a weakness that he had desperately wanted to change. But looking at Luhan who was smiling brightly at him, he guessed that this weakness wasn’t that bad.

“I am still angry,” Sehun replied but his tone held none of the anger that he was talking about. “You shouldn’t have just delve down, risking your life to catch the golden snitch!”

“But if I didn’t do so, then Gryffindor will lose this match to Slytherin!” Luhan defended himself. “I am the Captain, I couldn’t afford for that to happen – “

“So it is fine to just risk your life over something stupid?” Sehun’s anger bubbled under the surface. This hadn’t been the first time that Luhan had been so reckless and most probably won’t be the last time. But he just wanted Luhan to not place so much emphasize on winning and losing.

“It is not stupid!” Luhan glared at Sehun, he didn’t like the tone that he was using. Quidditch had been his passion and Sehun was crossing the line by calling it stupid.

“Fine, don’t talk to me until you get your priorities right.” Sehun his heels, not sparing Luhan another glance.

“Stupid Sehun,” Luhan muttered under his breath, watching the retreating back view of Sehun.

 

 

Their fight lasted for more than three days, that was the longest they gone without speaking to each other. By now, all of their friends were really worried.  But Luhan had stubbornly refused to apologise because this wasn’t his fault.

If anything, it should be Sehun apologising for calling his passion stupid. But that didn’t mean that Luhan didn’t miss Sehun because he did. Ever since that fateful day of meeting each other, Luhan and Sehun had been inseparable.

No – wait, Luhan frowned. There was actually a period of time when Sehun didn’t hang out with Luhan when they were fourteen and he had been extremely depressed during that period. But Luhan being Luhan, he had confronted Sehun. He backed the male against the wall, asking for a reason.

Sehun had looked away, his cheeks suspiciously pink, mumbling something under his breath.

“What did you say? I can’t hear – “

“You are too close,” Sehun repeated again and Luhan had stepped away. He had thought that Sehun was going to be different with everyone else, he had thought that Sehun won’t mind his half veela side but apparently, that was his wishful thinking. 

At the end of the day, everyone minded and Luhan had known that was the real reason why no one wanted to be friend with him. He didn’t blame them but Sehun was different. Sehun had been his pillar, Luhan had grown to rely on him and this wasn’t fair when Sehu didn't mind for the past few years. Sehun who had made his mark in Luhan's heart, was now despising him, not wanting to get close with him.

 Standing there in silence, Luhan was about to walk away when Sehun grabbed his wrist. “I – I didn’t mind your half veela status.”

Luhan’s eyes were suspiciously bright but he didn’t shrug off Sehun’s hold on his wrist, hope flared in his heart. 

“I – I am going to hate myself for saying this but I like you.” Sehun told him and there was a confused look on Luhan’s face. “I like you more than friends, I wanted to touch you and make you smile. I wanted you to belong to me and – “

“- and what?” Luhan finally asked when he saw Sehun’s eyes dropping to his mouth. 

“I wanted to kiss you,” Sehun said softly. “Do you know what this meant?”

“You like me?” Luhan answered uncertainly.

“I want to you to be mine.” Sehun stated and Luhan gulped. That was when Luhan finally got what Sehun meant.

Not getting the reaction that he wanted, Sehun had stepped closer to Luhan this time. He had bent down and pressed his lips against Luhan. He had been right, Luhan’s lips were soft.

It was then that Luhan realised that he had liked Sehun too, this man who didn’t mind his half veela status, this man who liked him for himself not because of anything else. This male who managed to see past his veela self and liked Luhan for himself. 

He had kissed Sehun back and the rest as they said was history.

 

 

Fine, Luhan admitted defeat this time as he got up and went onto find Sehun. He didn’t want to go on not speaking to Sehun, he had never liked fighting with Sehun. Going to their shared room, Luhan saw Sehun on his own bed.

Biting down his lips lightly, Luhan forced his way into Sehun’s bed. “I am sorry.”

“So does this mean that you got your priorities right?” Sehun cocked an eyebrow at him, flipping his book leisurely.

“Yes,” Luhan said softly. “I don’t want to fight with you anymore.”

Sighing, Sehun placed his book down. “I don’t like fighting with you too. I just wanted you to take care of yourself better.”

“I know, I am sorry.” Luhan continued softly. This fight had been stupid, he was the stupid one. “I – “

“I don’t want to stop you doing the things that you like.” Sehun told him. “Just promise me that you will take care of yourself better.”

“I promise,” Luhan nodded seriously when Sehun finally gave him a smile before placing a kiss on his lips gently.