A letter and a key

Forbidden

No one's POV: 

The headmaster had decided to give Yixing the rest of the week of, telling Jongin and Kyungsoo that he was ill. In fact, he was making himself ill. Since Joonmyeon had left, Yixing had been staying up well into the night unable to sleep. Whenever it was time to eat, he didn't eat much, he just picked at his food and at little, no matter how much the headmaster and his wife tried to get him to eat. Most of the time, he just laid in bed or sat in the living room staring into space, blaming himself for having Joonmyeon walk away. Blaming himself for even liking Joonmyeon and kissing him when he knew the consequences of his actions. 

No matter how many times the headmaster and his wife tried to convince Yixing that he shouldn't be doing this to himself, he thought he deserved it. He should have never fallen for Joonmyeon in the first place. Because of him, Joonmyeon had to give up his job and move away so the headmaster didn't get the police involved. He caused nothing but trouble. 

-------

"Yixing, you're friends are here to see you" the headmaster's wife said as Yixing turned around and smiled when he saw Jongin and Kyungsoo walk into the living room 
"How are you feeling?" Kyungsoo asked 
"A bit better" Yixing replied as Jongin studied him and frowned. 

"Well you don't look it" he said whilst Kyungsoo nudged him 
"He's our friend who's ill... be nice!" he exclaimed, making Yixing laugh; the first genuine laugh to come out of him since the day Joonmyeon left. 

"Anyway, we thought we'd come over here and give you what our parents would usually give to use when we're ill" Kyungsoo said, opening the bag 
"There's soup which you can reheat at any time, cheesy films which I'm sure you haven't seen yet, some magazines, games" he said, pulling out the items 
"And the best thing in the bag; ice cream" Jongin finished making Yixing smile. 

These two... they knew how to cheer him up without knowing it

"Oh yeah" Kyungsoo began and reached into his coat pocket 
"This was outside when we arrived, it's adressed to you" he said and handed an envelope over to Yixing who took it with a frown on his face. Who would right to him? 
"Hm, I'll see who it's from later" he said and put the envelope next to him, turning to his friends to ask him what he had missed as they dug into the ice cream. 

-------

Finishing the letter, Yixing smiled as he felt tears well up in his eyes. Looking into the envelope, he found a key and paused before he recognised where it belonged and smiled as he grabbed his coat and shoes 
"I'm going out for a walk" he quickly called out into living room before walking out of the house and down the road towards the park. 

.......

Standing in front of the gate, Yixing held the key in his hand and just stared at it. He was contemplating as to whether he wanted to unlock the gate and go inside. If he didn't, well then what did he do with the key? Keep it for when he came back to Korea? Or go inside and face the memories of the time spent with Joonmyeon come flooding back to him? 

"So you're the person the key got sent to?" a voice asked behind him and when Yixing turned around, saw a really tall guy walking towards him 
"Wh-who are you?" he asked, causing the guy to laugh 
"Sorry, my name is Park Chanyeol" he replied and Yixing nodded 
"I'm Zhang Yixing" he said.

"I know, Joonmyeon told me" Chanyeol said and Yixing's eyes widened 
"You've seen him?" he asked but sighed when Chanyeol shook his head
"I spoke to him a few days ago when he explained to me why he had to leave so suddenly, he spoke very highly of you" he replied but Yixing scoffed 
"He spoke highly of me? The guy who drove him out of his job?" he asked.

"He also said that you were likely beating yourself up over what happened" Chanyeol muttered, causing Yixing to drop his gaze to the floor 
"Because it's my fault" he said 
"Are you crazy? The whole time I was speaking to Joonmyeon... he sounded so happy!" Chanyeol exclaimed and Yixing frowned 
"Really?" he asked and Chanyeol nodded. 

"It's been years since I've heard him speak so enthusiastically about something" he replied and Yixing bit his lip 
"Look, you shouldn't beat yourself up about what happened. If Joonmyeon thought it was a dangerous idea from the beginning he would have stopped it as soon as he could. He didn't so that says something about you" Chanyeol said and Yixing nodded.

"Now, get this gate open, I haven't been in here for ages" Chanyeol added and managed to crack a smile out of Yixing as he went to open the gate. 

Yixing would visit the area twice more; the first time would be the day before he leaves to go back to China. The second would be on the day he graduates from university. 

-------

Yixing, 

This will probably be the first and only time I write to you. I figured that I had to at least send something to you before I wen't away. 

The first thing I wan't to tell you is about the key I sent with this. It's yours. I know you're not going to be in Korea forever... but I want you to have it for you know... the memories. Yeah we spent such little time together, but what we shared was precious and if you ever get the chance to come back to Korea... well the key is there for your use if you ever wan't to get away, escape the world. 

Now onto the rest of the letter. Back at the house, you told me you loved me. I wanted to say it back but I couldn't find myself to do it. I'm not sure why. But I can't say it now, I love you too. Also, don't go beating yourself up about this Yixing, we both started this relationship and we just weren't careful enough. Don't sit there wanting for me to come back, go live your life! 

You're a smart kid and I know you can be so much more if you it up and just look forward to what the future bring you. Go finish school and go to university. Travel the world with your friends... find someone who will love you and care for you just as much I did. I know the time we spent together was so little, but I enjoyed every second of it. And for that I thank you. 

Yours, 

Joonmyeon 


Okay, so I know I said that this was going to be a long story, but I guess I've covered everything that needs to be covered and there's no need to drag this out any longer which is why I'm ending this in the next chapter. 

*hints at the clue I put above for what is to happen in the next chapter*