059

Sea Souls: Water God
Please log in to read the full chapter

Five Years Later

 

 

The Kingdom of Sera was alive, even though the sun was barely seen above the horizon. Men traveled to and from their homes to the local businesses, preparing the city for the morning festivities. Women swept the streets in front of their decorated houses, making sure that everything was presentable and ready. Small children played in the city square around the fountain, splashing each other while their parents watched from the outdoor eateries.

It was a joyous day for everyone. Today would mark the fifth anniversary of the peace treaties between the humans, mermaids, and sirens.

It was a landmark celebrated for its blessing of peace, prosperity and understanding. Those to celebrate the grand holiday included the King of Sera, the Queen of Balma and a few royals from Genevie who would all be making their way down the main street to the docks in just a few hours. The main festivities happened along the beach and out in the ocean where the people mingled with mermaids and sirens alike.

Under the colorful streamers that hung from light pole to light pole, an older fisherman strolled along the sidewalk with his hands buried deep in his pockets as he whistled to his own tune. He glanced over his shoulder with a playful gleam in his eyes as he stared at the two sailors fighting amongst themselves.

 “Come on you two.” Kyung Jin stopped and watched as Suho and Chen looked up wide eyed at the old man. “It’s not like I can run with a toddler in my arms!” Suho argued, adjusting the girl in his arms as she slept soundly against his shoulder while trying to keep hold of her bag in his other hand.

“I told him to just let me hold her.” Chen tried to get the girl from Suho but the latter quickly shoved the bag into the man’s chest.

“Just carry this.” Suho walked ahead, the girl’s hair as she nestled against his shoulder.

Kyung Jin chuckled when he saw Chen begin to pout. The four of them continued on towards the royal port where the others were waiting. Kyung Jin kept his eyes on the baby girl and softened at the sight while Chen complained about the bag being heavy. Suho sighed, trailing behind Kyung Jin but kept on a smile on his face as he stared down at his friend’s daughter, SeKyung.

“He’ll be excited to see you again.”

*~*~*~*~*

In the under water city of Venillia, a young siren blazed through the city laughing as he looked over his shoulder to see Hina trailing far behind him, “Come on, we’re going to be late!”

“I’m coming, your highness, please wait!” Hina called out as she placed a hand over her beating heart. She’d been chasing the youngling since early morning and his energy never seemed to wane no matter the distance or speed.

Hina watched as the young boy weaved through the streets with ease but shook her head when she lost sight of him. The city, a once small secret safe haven for mermaids and sirens, was now a thriving place that welcomed all species and people. Hina greeted those that passed her in her pursuit, “Good morning, Ms. Hina.” One merman waved as he swam side by side with a female siren, their hands intertwined as they swam past.

The older mermaid softened at the sight of mermaids and sirens mingling with each other. Smiles graced everyone’s face as both species helped the other. The past few years had been a time of major rebuilding livelihoods, homes, and relationships.

“After the little one again?” An older mermaid laughed as she plucked seaweed off of the sea coral around her home. She placed them in her basket before setting it down to swim up beside Hina.

“He never seems to get tired,” Hina laughed, holding her forehead, “nothing like his sister.”

“He’s excited to see his family, I’m sure.” The mermaid chuckled when she saw the young prince speeding through the street right for the two women.

“Hina! Hurry up! Come on!” Chansung came barreling into Hina’s arms. She caught him just in time and held his cheeks between her hands, “Don’t run off without me.” The boy pouted but nodded quietly, when he saw the older mermaid and bowed, “Hello.”

“Hello, your highness. Excited to see your father and sister?”

Chansung nodded shyly and half hid behind Hina’s body. He held to her tail as his small one still struggled to keep him afloat. “Come on, Hina.” The young boy whispered, tugging at the mermaid’s arm.

“Alright, we’re going.” Hina waved goodbye to the other mermaid before being dragged off towards the surface.

*~*~*~*~*

Kris could not keep his hands off his new ship. The promotion to Royal Guard had a lot of perks and this newly varnished cedar oak ship was one of them. He let his fingers slide against the smooth wood, his eyes closed, appreciating the finely sanded grain.

“If you keep that up, pretty soon you’ll be talking to her too.” Luhan watched his captain continue to the large vessel while he and Xiumin loaded the ship with new supplies.

“Shut up, and let me have this time with her please.” Kris hushed the older sailor and walked off in the other direction with a drunken smile on his face.

“He’s gone crazy.” Xiumin snorted as he saw Kris press his cheek to the ship.

“Let’s hope he doesn’t do this whenever he gets a girlfriend.” Luhan and Xiumin boarded and set the supplies down. They watched their captain’s antics from above, laughing whenever he seemed to murmur something to himself.

“If he ever gets one that is.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sehun swam with a purpose, with his mother just behind him, through the city of Venillia in the search of Hina and his son. They’d just gotten back from their visit to the new settlement just off of the Balma coast where the humans, sirens and mermaids could mingle within two major islands that had a large lagoon separating them. It was an idea presented by Kai and Seungyeon after the major peace agreement had been signed. It would be place that each species could learn and interact with the other in a safe environment.

“Sehun, I’m sure Hina already took him to meet with the others.” Talya tried to put her son at ease but when he quickened his speed, she knew that her words were useless.

“Then we should hurry. We’re probably running late.” Sehun muttered, caught up in his own thoughts that all revolved around siren business and or his two children.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kai stared at his reflection in the large mirror. He fixed his navy blue tunic, adjusting the badges over his left so that each one sat straight. He admired his attire as he straightened out the gold tassles dangling from the shoulder.

“I t

Please log in to read the full chapter