29

Sea Souls: Water God
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Sehun sat on his cot tying and retying the rope in his hands. He focused on the knots and took his time taking it apart before starting over again. It took his mind off of what he’d just done and kept his hands busy. 

            Originally, he had no plan of confessing to Taura but the words came out before he could process what left his lips. He hoped for some sort of reciprocation though he knew he wouldn’t find it…yet. There was flicker in her eyes that seemed to search his for assurance and security but all of that was clouded by fear.

            He couldn’t push her nor did he want to. Sehun wanted Taura to like him when she was ready. Sehun just didn’t know when she would be ready.

            Lying down, Sehun covered his eyes with his arm. He started to regret the fashion of his confession. His timing was off and it didn’t seem like Taura was ready. It all just wasn’t right or the way Sehun had imagined it but he didn’t regret it. His feelings weren’t going to change and having Taura know brought some relief.

            He didn’t feel the need to hide his feelings anymore. All that was left was Taura’s answer. Though, Sehun also knew he would have to pull back some. Taura was going to need her space and Sehun was much obliged to give that to her if she needed it. Though that didn’t mean he was going to back down anytime soon. He loved her and even if she didn’t love him back, he was going to stay by Taura’s side until she did find someone that would love her and take care of her.

            When she left with Talya, Sehun received only one goodbye. Taura decided after Sehun’s little confession she would go ahead and say her goodbyes to everyone else except him. He got one quick gaze from her before she dove down into the ocean. His mother noticed the cold shoulder, but didn’t feel the need to ask. She already had an idea of what transpired between the two and sympathized with her son.

            “I’ll bring her back safely to you.” Talya cupped her son’s cheek with a smile before brushing back his hair like any mother would.

            “Mom,” Sehun pulled her hand from his face and held it for a second before letting go.

            “I promise.” Talya winked before she left with Taura.

            Sehun turned over on his side and stared at the empty beds beside him. He escaped the questions from his friends, knowing they’d have something to say seeing how Taura didn’t say goodbye to him. He didn’t want to face them but he would have to come up soon.

             Not wanting to mope around, he shot up and headed back up to help out with the rest of the crew.

*~*~*~*

            Taura sat on the table that Talya instructed her to, she stared down at her violet tail watching her scales sparkle as the few rays of light caught them as she swished her tail back and forth.  She her scales, feeling the smoothness of her tail that suddenly felt foreign to her. She grew accustomed to her skin, loving how it didn’t matter which direction she her legs they were smooth to the touch unlike her tail. One way was smooth, the other way coarse and rough. It reminded her of the sequins on her dresses, decorative not protective.

            It was the morning after her arrival to Venillia. She didn’t see much of the city or the people as Talya and a swarm of guards ushered her quickly to the palace. Her arrival was supposed to be a secret, but word seemed to spread of Taura’s visit as many mermaids and mermen gathered at the palace doors begging to see her.

            Taura hadn’t visited her grandmother’s city in almost a year and always feared about how the people would react to her sudden vist. She was afraid they thought she had abandoned them, when she hadn’t.

            She brought her tail up under her chin and stared out at the vast expanse of the ocean blue. It was like looking at the sky, but one cloudless that always seemed to move back and forth. It wasn’t the same blue as the sky either, it was denser and darker.

            “Taura. The doctor is here.” Talya came in with a merman beside her. He had a small pouch with him and a stethoscope in his other hand. Taura stretched out her tail with a small smile and a sigh, “Sure.”

           

            Taura stared up at the open ceiling. The cracks revealing the white rays of sunlight move with the water as the occasional school of fish passed. She could hear Talya converse with the doctor, probably informing him of her condition. Taura could also pick up on the slight shuffle of instruments beside her head coming from the doctors bag and gulped. She’d be lying if she said she wasn’t afraid.

            “I’m just going to check your pulse, breathing patterns, heartbeat, and such. Nothing too hard.” The merman smiled down at Taura, his voice sounding soft and assuring. The mermaid nodded without a word and rested her hands over her bare stomach trying to even out her breathing to calm her heart.

Please log in to read the full chapter