Chapter 9

Don't Marry Me

Let The Games Begin, Yo! 

“Alright, wake up everyone! I’m going to make some important announcements and I need you to pay attention, because I’m not going to say it twice.” The teacher in charge called with a megaphone.

 

Nara who was still sleepy, rubbed her eyes, the sun was too bright and she didn't bring anything to cover her eyes with. She put her hand on her face so the light wouldn't come to her eyes that bright. Suddenly, her vision went dark. She knew that she wasn't blind, but someone put something on her face, it was Jungkook. He put his jacket on her face.

 

“Cover up your face! You look terrible…” Jungkook said while paying attention to the announcement. Nara nodded in response, but keeping her ears open for the announcement.

“For this outing you will be divided into groups. There are 10 groups and since most of you are seniors; I trust you already know each other and get along. Each group consists of five to eight people. I will tell you what teams you’re in, please gather with your groups.” The teacher announced while opening a piece of paper in her hands.

 

Nara didn't pay attention until she heard her name mentioned; “Team five; Jeon Jungkook, Kang Jihyo, Park Sein, Kim Dain, Park Nara.”

 

“What a coincidence, we're also in the same team. C’mon let’s go find the others” Jungkook said while dragging Nara.

“Team seven; Shin Jaehyun, Jung Baekho, Park Jangmi, Kim Taehyung, Shin Jein” Nara was shocked that they also got to be in the same team, again—she thought the bus was the worst thing, but no, this would go on for three more days.

“Rooms will be separated, boys on the right side and girls on the left side. Please see the information board before you come in…” the teacher announced and continued, “Get settled and go to the dining hall in thirty minutes for dinner and another announcements”

 

Nara went to the information board, but it was too crowded so she waited until everyone was gone. Suddenly Jein came towards her and stared at her briefly.

 

“There will be a line between us. I really don't want to share the same air as you, but this outing , so know where you belong!” Jein exclaimed and walked away. Nara went closer and closer to the board, thinking about what Jein said, but when she looked at the board her eyes bulged, and thought that her eyes could pop out.

 

Room 175: Park Jangmi, Park Nara, Shin Jein.

 

Gah, I’m going crazy…

 

She walked upstairs slowly, she could already predict what Jein would do to her and she never liked the idea of Jein and herself in the same room. She opened the door slowly and walked inside, she saw Jein was busy making boundary lines with a duct tape.

 

“Oh, you’re here. Come, I have to tell you something, to tell you both something.” Nara walked closer and kept her distance between Jein. “Let me set the rules—“ before she could say something, the girl in  anorange shirt and green shorts cut her off.

“Why do we need rules? It’s only a-three days event; do we really need to do this? Why can’t you be normal like other people?” the girl asked as if the whole thing that Jein was trying to do was unnecessary.

“Shut up, Jangmi and don't ever cut me off when I’m talking…”Jein complained and continued, “Anyway, this line is the boundaries between us. I don't want to have you touching my stuff or anything that I think you’re going to do. So, just to be safe, keep everything to your side of the bed. Okay?” she explained without taking a breath.

“But your line get to access the bathroom, what about us?” Jangmi cried.

“I don't know. I don't care” Jein responded simply and went to the bathroom.

“Don’t mind her…” Jangmi sighed heavily and stood up. “Hi, I’m Park Jangmi. Let’s be friends” she offered her hand and Nara shook it nervously.

“Park Nara.” She said her name without saying anything else, not wanting to say the wrong thing, because she said that she wanted to be friends.

“I think I know you. You’re the girl that Jein bullied right?” she asked without thinking, “I mean—no that’s no what I meant, but you are right? I mean there’s a lot of rumors going on around about you, but I never knww who it was—but now I do.” Jangmi explained nervously.

“Yes, I’m that girl—there’s a rumor about me?” she asked making sure that Jangmi was telling the truth.

“Yeah, but it’s disappearing—I mean no one really talks about it anymore. You must really hate her”

 

You have no idea.

 

“Oh, well I don't know about that. What about you?” Nara asked trying to change the subject.

“Me? Why?”

“What do you think about her?” she asked wanting to know what other people think of her.

“Well, actually I was her best friend. Was.” She answered simply.

“Really, what happened?” Nara was surprised that Jein had a best friend.

 

What made them not friends anymore?

 

“It’s a long story—by the way we have to go to the dining hall right?” Jangmi asked to confirm and Nara nodded in agreement.

“But what about Jein?”

“Just leave her…” Her new friend replied without thinking too long about it.

They went to the dinning hall and ate dinner. The teacher announced the first game for tomorrow morning, but everyone wasn't so excited about it. They were dismissed after one hour of eating. Nara and Jangmi went to their room immediately and talked before Jein came and ruined the mood.

 

“Let’s not talk about Jein while we’re here. She might hear us—She’s creepy, she has something that makes her know everything that she wants to know…” Jangmi warned.

“I’m not that curious, but why aren’t you friends with her? I mean did you do something wrong?” Nara asked.

I certainly didn't do anything wrong, it was her—“ Jangmi cut off what she was about to say because Jein came inside without any warning.

“Who are you guys talking about?” Jein asked while walking towards Jangmi and Nara without looking at them. “I hope it wasn't me…”

“It’s no one that you should know about…” Jangmi replied like she had power over her.

 

Because of Jein’s presence they both knew that they had to stop talking, especially when it was about her. Jangmi went to bed along with Jein. Nara wasn't feeling tired or sleepy yet, since she was sleeping on the bus for a long time. 

 

She went outside for a stroll and sat in a park, not far from the houses. She plugged her headset into her ear and enjoyed the night breeze. She listened to a few songs, but with her eyes closed hoping that she would feel sleepy so she could sleep.

 

When was about to fall asleep someone sat beside her and bumped her hard enough for her to be surprised.

 

“Good gracious! What the hell!” Nara jumped out of her seat.

“Relax. Jeez. What are you doing here by the way?” Taehyung asked while crossing his arms.

“I can’t sleep. What are you doing here?” she asked trying to change the subject.

“Same. My roommate , they’re still staying up playing random card games. It’s not my style so…. Here I am.” Taehyung explained simply.

“Who are your roommates anyway? Are they really that bad?”

“It’s your Jungkook boy and some other guy from the math club.” He answered.

“Okay, first he is not my boy and second maybe you should try hanging out with them, there’s no harm done.” She explained, but she knew Taehyung wasn't listening.

“What are you listening anyway?” Taehyung pulled one of her headphones out and plugged it into his ear.

“You won’t like it—Just give it back.“ Nara took her headphone away from him.

“Fine. What’s with you and that Jungkook guy anyway?” he asked, but there was no response. He turned his head and saw that Nara was already asleep and her head was hanging everywhere. He continued to look at her hoping that she would wake up and talk to him, but after waiting several minutes he pushed her head lightly so she could rest her head on his shoulder.

“Nara. Nara! Wake up! We’re going to be late for the first game…” Jangmi woke her up. She realized that she was back in her room. She could’ve sworn that she didn't come back last night.

 

She prepared herself for the first event and headed to the assembly area with Jangmi.

 

“Please gather with your team and the teachers will give you, your team ribbon color. You must not lose it. Put it where it’s easy for other teams to see. I will give you a few minutes to gather with your groups and when it’s all settled, the ribbons will be distributed.” The teacher explained and everyone began to move to look for his or her teams.

“Nara! Here!” Jungkook waved his hands to get Nara’s attention.

“Hey…” she walked closer and saw that her team was already there.

“Here you go guys, your color is red. Put it on your head, waist, or wrist. Fighting!” the teacher form a fist and walked to the next group.

 

“The first game will be the infamous treasure hunt! Inside those woods there will be ten-treasure chests, which contain a treasure map. In your ribbon there’s a key attached at the end. Find the treasure chest that has your team color because the maps are different. You’ll find ten things that you will need for the next game—which will be held tomorrow. The team that finish first has the privilege to eat in the VIP section for dinner, while the team that loses has to stay and wash the dishes. Each game has it own points and we will sum them at the closing ceremony, you better win if you don't want to receive the consequences!” The teacher explained excitedly.

 

The teams stood before the starting line. The teacher gave them a few minutes to plan their strategy or any other needs.

 

“Okay, we need to spread, but not too far from each other. If you find something—anything clap your hands three times, that's our code.” Jungkook explained, there was determination on his face. The team nodded in response.

“Here’s your guide about the game if you don't understand… A more detailed one…” One of the teachers handed them a piece of paper.

 

“You will battle against the other teams, there will be water guns and water balloons in the trees. Look for them for protection and distraction, because other teams can take your stuff and use it as theirs. Be careful and good luck!”

 

“Well, that’s encouraging!” One of the girls in the group complained.

“Please, no fighting or any kind of those things, let’s just do this and win!” Jungkook tried to get his team to be excited. “Alright, put your hands in…”

“1…2…3 Group 5! Fighting!” They exclaimed simultaneously and waited for the game to start.