Chapter 26

Don't Marry Me

Elucidate 

“Ever since he rejected me that day, I wanted to forget about him!” she exclaimed, “I was devastated—my heart was broken and then the next thing I know this happened. I tried to forget him, but he’s always there. If there was a way for me to forget him I would.” She explained.

“So, that day I came to your house and he was there—“ Jungkook stopped in the middle of the sentence while trying to sort his mind, “You’re living under one roof with him?” he asked in disbelief.

 

Nara nodded in response, because somehow she felt like she was being scolded for doing something that she didn't even do.

 

“I’m sorry! I didn't mean for this to happen.” She begged.

“Really?” he asked, raising his eyebrow.” Funny, if I was married to my crush, I would be really happy. Why wouldn't you be happy?” he asked crossing his arms.

“Well, what do you want me to do?” she asked, “I didn't want you to know, because I’m scared that you would doubt me. I wanted to tell you myself—when the time is right and I’m really really sorry that you had to found out that way.”

 

“That’s not the problem, Nara!” he walked past her trying to stop the conversation.

“Then what is?” she asked, blocking his way.

 

Jungkook didn't say anything; he just shook his head and kept walking.

 

“What is it?” Nara asked blocking his way.

“I like you!” he exclaimed.

“What?” Nara asked, because it was so sudden. “What do you mean?”

“What do you mean what I mean?” he asked her back, “I mean I like you.”

“Ew, why—I mean why?” she asked while trying to be composed.

“Look, you know what—just forget it. I wasn't going to tell you anyway.” He tried to brush it off.

“You can’t just say that and leave. I mean why would you do that?” she didn't like the fact that people keep coming and leaving her life so sudden.

“You have a—a husband.” He whispered, trying not to make attract any attention.

“What does it have to do with anything?” she asked.

 

Suddenly, the bell rang and broke their conversation.

 

“I gotta go to class.” Jungkook replied and left without Nara knowing.

 

Nara thought about what he said and his words kept ringing in her ears, like he said over and over again.

 

I like you.

 

Something she thought never would’ve happened. During first period, she couldn't really concentrate on the subject, because her mind would always go back to Jungkook’s words and it’s really getting into her.

 

“I need volunteers to do the equations on the board.” The teacher announced.

“Shinae do number one, Nara you do number two—“

“Umm—I didn't volunteer.” Nara raised her hand.

“Well you did now—to the board.” The teacher ordered.

 

Nara’s mind went blank, she didn't listen to the teacher’s explanation a while ago and now she’s going to get embarrassed in front of the whole class, just because her mind was somewhere else. Nara walked nervously, and took the chalkboard; she didn't exactly know what to write since the teacher is explaining a whole new topic today.

 

“Well, Ms. Park?” The teacher asked, while crossing his arms waiting for her to finish the equation.

“Umm—I still don't understand how this is supposed to be done.” She tried to make up an excuse by lowering her brain capacity to remember.

“Don't understand or didn't listen?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Umm—a little bit of both I guess?” Nara gives an unsure reply.

“This is why you need to stop daydreaming about your dramatic teenage life and listen to what’s even more complicated, math!” The teacher, pointed at Nara for her misbehavior. “You may take your seat Ms. Park, but if I catch you daydreaming in my class again; I will happily you to the guidance counselor…” the teacher warned her and Nara nodded in response.

 

Some of the kids laughed and some of them didn't really care. Lunch came so fast; Nara was still in the state of mind thinking about what Jungkook said this morning. She walked like a zombie to the cafeteria, getting all the food that she need and left the counter immediately. She finally snapped out, when she was looking for a place to sit in the cafeteria. She looked around—she looked around for Jungkook, she wanted to continue their conversation, but she couldn't find him anywhere. In the next few days Jungkook was out of her sight, she couldn't find him in places she thought he would be and she couldn't find him in the hallways, classes or any possible places.

 

After a few days of no conversation, no eye contact, no nothing, she finally saw I him in the cafeteria at lunch in the corner with a group of guys—laughing and she felt like she’d be interrupting them if she came by, but she did anyway.

 

“Hey, Jungkook.” Nara called.

“Oh, hey. What’s up?”

“Ooh, Jungkook’s got a girlfriend.” One of his friends called out, but he didn't seem to care.

“Can I talk you for a second?”

 

The group of guys who were sitting around him was obviously looking at her, but she didn't look at them back, she looked at Jungkook the whole time.

 

“Okay.” Jungkook stood up and brought her to an empty hallway behind the cafeteria.

“Have you been avoiding me?” she asked, expecting his best excuse, but Jungkook dodge the bullet.

“I told you, I don't want to talk about it anymore. Just let it go, I didn't mean what I said, I just felt so cornered and all—that's why I said it.”

“How can you say that?” Nara asked frowning her eyebrows. “How can you say something like that so easily?”

“Why are you pushing it?” Jungkook building up questions, “What are you going to do if I do like you?” he asked, “It’s not like you can be my girlfriend or something.”

“What if I like you too?” She asked out of the blue.

“What do you mean?” he was flustered with her sudden remarks.

“What if l like you too?” she repeated her question, only this time she articulate it pretty well and it was obviously clear enough for Jungkook to hear.

“And why would you do that?” he asked, he didn't really know how to respond to her question.

“Can’t I like you?” she asked. “But, I guess I shouldn't have said that, since you made it up about liking me, right? So forget it.

“What are you trying to say here, Nara?” Jungkook was confused, in his mind it seemed like what she was saying didn't make sense, but it was just an indirect confession.

“Never mind, pretend we never had this conversation.” Suddenly, her mind remembered the time when Taehyung rejected her and it was devastating—she remembered exactly how her heart was ripped and it feels like the blood in her heart was drained, so she decided to stop the conversation before it gets worse.

 

Nara went home, without knowing what to think. When she thought about Jungkook it was too confusing and when she though about Taehyung it was too complicated. Marriage—she thought that it would  happen in her 20’s, but no—change of plans. She arrived home and headed to the bedroom, she threw her backpack to the bed and then fell flatly on the bed.

 

“What are you doing?” Taehyung was surprised after taking a shower.

“Hmmm…”

“What?” Taehyung couldn't hear her clearly, because her face was facing the bed.

“I can date, right?” Nara sat up and headed to the closet, while choosing fresh clothes for the night.

 

Taehyung, who usually would give her a fast and careless response, this time he was careful and took several minutes to think about his answer.

 

“Well?” Nara asked, because apparently he was thinking too long.

“You know—umm you can, but—“

“So, I can, right?” Nara cut him in the middle of his sentence. “I mean of course I can, because you’re dating then why can’t I, right?” she starts to blabber.

“Who are you talking to?” Taehyung asked, because he felt like she wasn't talking to him anymore. “Why are you talking about dating anyway?” he asked out of curiosity.

“Because, I think I’ve found someone.” Nara replied simply.

“I think you shouldn’t date, I think you should focus on school and get your grades up to get to a good college.” Taehyung who didn't know that he was lecturing like his mom.

“Grades? College?” Nara stopped ransacking the closet, “Since when do you care about this stuff?”

“There are things that I care about and since we are seniors I think that it’s supposed to be our top priority.” He explained, sounding a lot like a grandfather talking to his grandchildren.

“Why are you saying these things anyway? I never thought you would talk about these things.”

“We—well, you asked my opinion so I’m giving you what you want, my opinion.” He sighed, “Usually, people take my opinions seriously and they receive an unbelievable outcome.”

“Unbelievable.”

“Who’s the guy anyway?” Taehyung tried to change the topic.

“Why do you care?” Nara asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Why do you always ask me that?”

“Ask you what?”

“Ask why I do care or not. Am I really that careless?” he asked trying to evaluate himself.

“Yes, because you never care, so that’s why I asked is it because you care or because you need gossip points?”

“Gossip points?” Taehyung exclaimed, “Are you kidding me? Please, do you think I’m like you girls who leech off gossip from people?”

“I don't know, maybe.”

“Hey!” Taehyung tried to show her that he just simply cares for her than for gossip points.

“What?”

“I don't do gossip points. I mean—what's that even?”

“Really? You don't know what gossip points are?” Nara asked to make sure and Taehyung nodded in response, “Find it out yourself.” She replied simply and headed to the bathroom.

 

The lights were turned off by the time she finished taking a shower. She was surprised, but still she had to put the dirty laundry in the basket around the corner, when she walked passed the bed, suddenly Taehyung pulled her which made her fall on his chest. He flipped her, which made him on the top and her on the bottom. She couldn't really see anything; because it was too dark for her too see.

 

“Oh my God! What are you doing?” Nara shrieked, while struggling to break free.