Chapter 14

Don't Marry Me

Broken Ankle

“What did you say?” Jungkook asked in disbelief.

“I was practicing my man voice” she repeated her previous sentence.

“Your man voice?” he asked again, “You just woke up, went to the restroom and then walked out saying you’re practicing your man voice?” Jungkook tries to make sense of what just happened.

“Yes, I was. Don't mind it.” She simply avoided his question and continued, “Can you go downstairs and buy me some orange juice? God, my throat is so dry…”

“I’ll buy you some, wait here!” he swiftly took his wallet and went outside.

“As expected.” She smirked and snaps her finger.

 

She went back to the restroom and pushed the door wide open. Taehyung who was sitting in the toilet, stood up in shock.

 

“He’s out. Go…” she ordered with no energy.

 

He walked out slowly and when he was finally reached the door, he stopped and turned to Nara.

 

“Here, my mom wants you to feel better. It’s not from me, it’s from my mom” he stated and walked out.

 

She opens the plastic and saw that her favorite food was placed, the tempting smell of tteokpokki. She went to the couch and pours the food to a different plate. She stopped, just by looking at it makes her saliva go crazy, she took the chopsticks and took one of the tteokpokki. She took a small bite for a taste and it was delicious, she thought—but at the same time very hot.

 

“Oh, hey you’re back!” Nara exclaimed, when she saw Jungkook walking passed those doors towards her.

“I got your juice…” his voice drifted, looking down on the food in front of her. “It’s that what I think it is?” he asked.

“What? This?” she pointed at the plate. “This is tteokpok—“ Jungkook cut her off.

“Yeah—yeah, I know what tteokpokki looks like—um, can I have some?” he asked sitting down next to her in a rush and took her chopsticks from her grasps.

“I was about to say no, but since you took my chopsticks already, feel free…” she looked at Jungkook who was totally hypnotized by the smell of tteokpokki.

 

Jungkook ate once, twice, three times, until it was almost finished and Nara took the plate away.

 

“Stop it! You said you would only had some, you’ve had too much!” she exclaimed, her favorite food was half eaten; now she couldn't really enjoy the savory of tteokpokki. “Where’s my orange juice?” she asked trying to make him snap out from the tteokpokki hypnotize.

 

Jungkook open his plastic bag and handed her a bottle of orange juice.

“But, can I please have one more? Just one more?” he asked, while trying to act cute at the same time.

“No! I want to eat this, I’ve only eaten for like six or seven of them….” Nara refuses to share and drink her orange juice in one-shot, since was burning from the spiciness of the tteokpokki.

 

After taking the last bite, Nara looked out the window and turned to Jungkook.

 

“Hey, I’m bored. Can walk around the park?” she said standing up.

“Are you sure you’re okay to walk around?” Jungkook asked, full of concern.

“I’m fine, Jungkook—I feel fine… Even, I collapse on the way, I have to you to carry me back, right?” she asked to make sure.

“Hmm… You’re right about that.” Jungkook replied, “Okay, c’mon!”

 

Jungkook hold the door long enough for Nara to go through and find their way to the park.

“Let’s not walk too much, sit.” Jungkook pointed to the nearby bench and sat down. He patted the sit next to him; Nara walked towards him and sat down.

 

She took a deep breath in and out, “The fresh air is so nice….” She sighed, feeling happy to get out from her room. “How long have I been out anyway?” She asked, that was supposed to be her first question when she woke up.

“Two days, I think. Why?” he looked at her, who was looking at the sky. Watching the sunset and the color of the sky changes so fast.

“It felt longer than that,” she stated. After a few minutes of looking at the sky, the night gets colder and they went back inside.

 

They walked passed the nurse counter and the nurse that is supposed to be in charge of Nara stopped them.

 

“I see that you are well Ms. K—Park…” she suddenly change her sentence when suddenly Taehyung and his family came over. “You should probably check your condition to the doctor. I will call him to you room in a minute.” She went back to her desk and dial the number she was supposed call. “And one more thing, I wasn't expecting you to walk around, I’m sorry, but I should’ve mentioned this to you earlier, your ankle is not in good condition, you shouldn't go around, it’ll make it worse.” She stated.

 

“Hello Nara, how are you?” Mrs. Kim greeted with a fruit basket on her hand, she saw Jungkook and asked, “And who is this fine, young man?” she asked looking at him intensely from head to toe.

“Umm… This is my friend, Jungkook.” Nara introduced them to one another.

“I see, well, let’s continue this in your room…” she said simply and led the way. Nara and Jungkook followed them, while Taehyung was the third wheel behind them, looking at Jungkook while raising an eyebrow.

 

Before they went inside, Jungkook stopped her, “I think I should go home now… I’ll see you… When I see you.” He said simply and walked the opposite direction. Nara wasn't able to reply because went so fast.

“C’mon!” Taehyung rushed her.

 

Nara sat on her bed, and Taehyung’s mom stand at her bedside. “I’m sorry this happened, but why would someone be so cruel to push you?” she asked scanning her body, if there are any injuries.

 

“I’m fine now, it's okay.” She sighed and continued; “I can’t really remember what happened—all I know is that suddenly I was falling and there’s nothing that I could hold on to and then I hit somethingvery hard and the last thing I know I woke up in a hospital.” Nara explained as best as she can.

“Can you try to remember anything? I can’t let this go… You we’re severly injured—you walked!” she exclaimed and changed the subject suddenly. “The nurse said, you’re not supposed to walk yet…” she exclaimed.

“Mrs. Kim, it’s fine. I feel fine.” Nara tried to convince her.

“You are not allowed to step out of the room, without any wheelchair. Stay here until you are healed.” She took her bag and walked out.

 

“You really should listen to my mom. She doesn't like it when people disobey her orders.” Taehyung stated with his arms crossed.

“For record, I didn't disobey your mom. I didn't even know that my ankle was severely injured…” she scoffs.

“Fine, what ever. I’m just sayin’—don't have to listen to me…” he throws himself to the couch and took the recent newspaper from the table.

“Tch… Since when you read?” Nara scoffs when she saw Taehyung holding the newspaper.

“Of course I read, “He stated, while focusing his gaze on the newspaper.

 

A few minutes later, the nurse came in with an empty wheelchair and went by her bedside.

“The doctor is busy, he asked me to bring you to his office…” the nurse informed. “Please sit down.”

“But, my leg is fine. I don't feel anything…” Nara complained with a frown.

“It’s the doctor’s order. You might not know what happened, but it could get worse…” she explained.

“Fine!” she snorted and sat down in the wheelchair. “Haha… So, this is what it feels like to ride one of these. Whee…” Nara laughed once the nurse pushed her towards the door.

“Would you like to come, Mr?” The nurse asked Taehyung who was comfortably sitting on the couch.

“I’ll catch up in a minute…” he simply replied.

Nara was laughing like a kid, when the nurse continues to push her around the hallway.

“What a dork…” Taehyung said to himself, shaking his head when they’ve left the room.

 

Nara arrived at the doctor’s office and sat in the corner bed. Not so long, Taehyung came and sat in front of the doctor. After reading her documents the doctor came to Nara and asked her to lie down.

 

“Why did you suddenly walk around, without any cautious?” the doctor asked while pressing her ankle several times.

“I didn't know what happened to me and you didn't even put any bandages on, so I think that I was okay,” she explained innocently.

“Well, I thought that you won’t stand up any time soon.” The doctor replied, “Since the injuries was bad, especially your ankle—to be honest I don't really understand why your ankle is the most damaged.”

“I don't know too, Doctor…” she responds simply.

“I can show you what happened to you, one of the nurse took a picture of you when you we’re still unconscious—because no parents guardian was here, for proof so don't worry…” the doctor explained. “For now, you will have to wear the plaster cast for at least one month.”

 

The doctors walked towards his desk and get the materials he needed.

 

“Can I see?” Taehyung whispered.

“I’m sorry?” The doctor asked in confusion.

“I want to see the picture. I’m her…” he doesn't want to say the word again, but thankfully the doctor finish his sentence for him.

“Her husband. Yes, I heard…” he gave him the picture and turned to Nara. “Let me guess, you are sixteen—seventeen? Very young, why did you decided to get married at such a young age?” he asked in voice that is loud enough for anyone who can answer his question, while putting the plaster cast on Nara’s ankle.

 

Nara looked at Taehyung and waited several seconds, maybe he would look at her back, but sadly, he didn't.

 

“It’s kind of complicated…” Nara replied softly, not sure what to answer to such question.

“Ah… Well, the only thing I know when people are married in such young age, is either the girl is pregnant—“

“NO!” Both Nara and Taehyung shouted simultaneously and cut off his sentence.

“Let me finish…” The doctor tried to calm them down, “Or—there’s an or. Or maybe, an arranged married; to support the family business…” he sighed, finishing off her plaster cast. “I know because I had a friend, although they hate each other at the beginning, but in the end they fall in love with each other…” he explained smiled.

 

There was an awkward silence in the room, not knowing how to react or respond to the doctor’s words. Finally, the doctor broke the silence.

 

“You can go home tomorrow, at home please put ice on it for an hour everyday…” The doctor ordered and called the nurse to bring her back to her room.

“I need some fresh air…” Taehyung said out of nowhere and left immediately.

 

Nara sighed heavily. She knows—she somehow knows that their relationship is not going anywhere. No matter how much she tries, Taehyung had one thing that he doesn't want to lose. His pride.