Chapter 17

Don't Marry Me

Something's Fishy 

“So, happy birthday…” Nara popped a small confetti canon.

“Thank you!” Jungkook replied with smile.

“Blow out the candles.” She picked up the cake and put it in front of his face, ready to be blown.

“Let’s blow it together.” He stated.

“But, it’s your birthday. You’re the one who should blow it…”

“Oh, c’mon! Consider it my present—you don't really need to bring anything for me…”

“I brought the cake. It’s more than enough!” she exclaimed, with a chuckle.

“I’m not blowing if you’re not blowing it—“ he pouted and crossed his arms.

 

Without taking time to think, she smiled and nodded.

 

“Okay, fine…” she said taking a deep breath. “One… Two… Three!”

 

They blew on the candles and the fire went out. Jungkook clapped several times, to express his happiness.

 

“You like it that much?” she asked putting the cake down.

“I like it so much—“ he hesitates and watched Nara taking the smaller plate for the cake, “I like you so much.”

“I’m sorry?” Nara asked in disbelief, her eyes blinked a few times and she raised an eyebrow. Knowing her reaction would be like this, he changed the subject.

“Nothing. Here—I’ll help you with that…” he said taking the spoon to eat a piece of cake

 

Nara did hear what he had just said, but she couldn't believe it. She thought that it was too good to be true. While Jungkook was busy eating the cake, Nara smiled because someone actually liked her, but there were two sides that she was confused about, either believe him or not.

 

On the other hand Taehyung was lying comfortably on the living room couch and surfing the channels, flipping from one side to the other. He stopped precipitously on the news channel.

 

 'In the recent event there have been four kidnapping cases in the last 2 weeks. We have sighted the man who is committing the operation. He only kidnaps teenage girls who walk alone; after school or at late at night. We are reminding you to tell your loved ones to be aware of the current situation. This news has been spread in the area; in the mean time please keep in mind to stay in crowded areas or around guardian.'

 

Listening to the news, he didn't react much. Then, Nara came to his mind, knowing that she left early in the morning going somewhere. He looked out the window and saw that the sun was setting; he didn't think that Nara would come home this late. He slept on the couch for several hours and thought Nara would be back by then, but no, the house was empty—the wind that blew through the hall reminded him that one of the windows was open.

 

He looked at the clock and it was almost past ten. He took his jacket and walked to the nearby store to buy some snacks.

 

“I think it’s getting late. I should get home…” Nara stood up and put on her shoes.

“Do you want me to accompany you home? It’s already late like you said.” Jungkook asked while looking out the window.

“No, I’m fine I can go by myself…” she said walking out the door with her crutches.

“Are you sure?” he asked looking around, having a bad feeling that something might happen.

“Yes. I’m sure. Now, go back inside…” she ordered with a reassuring smile.

 

She took the last bus of the day and arrived in her neighborhood. She knew that she’d be fine, but somehow the way from the bus stop to her house was a bit further than it used to be. Probably because she had to drag the injured leg along the way.  She noticed that the streetlights were cracking and starting to dim.

 

'Someone needs to fix these lights, like fast.' She thought looking at the lamp that was losing it’s light.

 

She continued walking calmly, when suddenly she heard ruckus behind her back, her whole body cringed, she wanted to look back but she was too scared to do so. A man with a black hoodie was following her, with his hands inside the pocket in front of him. The footsteps behind her were getting faster and so were hers, but she couldn't go too fast because her ankle hurt too much. All sorts of scenarios were running through her mind, thinking that someone might hurt her.

 

She took her phone and called the first person that popped into her mind, Taehyung.

 

“What?” he asked over the phone.

She sniffled and tried to remain calm, “Can you please come and get me?” Her voice started to tremble, she was trying to walk faster but her ankle was not on her side.

 

The man behind her quickened his steps, trying to corner her, but Nara kept moving forward.

 

“Wait, are you crying right now?” he asked with zero concern in his tone.

“Taehyung, please…” she sniffled once again and fell because she tried to walk with both of her legs.

“Okay, calm down.” He said trying to be composed, “Where are you, right now? Tell me exactly where you are…” he ordered.

“I’m near the bus stop in front of the complex—“ she stood up and walked as fast as she could. “I’m not that far—AH!”

“Nara! Nara! Hey, can you hear me?” he shouted, but she not there anymore.

 

He dropped the groceries that he bought and ran to last place Nara said she was. He looked around under the lightless lamp, and then he heard a conversation around the corner.

 

“Please don't—I’m begging you…” Nara pleaded.

 

Now, he is sure that Nara was there and found the man in the black hoodie was cornering her. Her only defense was the crutches, she tried to scream but the man put his hand on making her unable to make any sound. Taehyung was trying to find the perfect timing for him to attack.

 

“Don't shout or it’ll get worse…” the man ordered, with his deep voice.

“Don't shout my !” Taehyung punched the man across his face and the man fell down, because he wasn't prepared.

 

Taehyung grab Nara’s wrist and pulled her away from the corner.

“Stop—stop I can’t!” she cried. He looked at her ankle and saw the bandage was ruined.

 

The man came out of the corner and ran to chase them and without thinking too much, Taehyung carried her in his arms, bridal style. He ran as fast as he could and shouted;

“I already called the police, they will be here anytime soon!”

 

The man stopped abruptly, because when he shouted at the same time he heard the police sirens; he turned around and ran out of the complex. Knowing that he wasn't chasing them anymore, Taehyung slowed down and walked.

 

“Umm… You can put me down now.” Nara asked looking at him, who was breathless from all the running. Her right hand could feel his heartbeat decrease from the rapid one a few seconds ago.

 

He took another look at her ankle and took a deep breath.

“Just stay still…” he stated.

 

She wanted to smile and express her happiness that it was all over now, but now—maybe it was not the right time. So, instead of revealing her current feelings, she thanked him for his help.

 

“Thank you—for what you did…” she said while looking at his smooth cheek and then his eyes.

“You know, I can’t fight. I don't understand why would you call me…” he asked looking back at her.

“Then why did you come?” she dropped her arms that were around his neck.

 

She took another look into his eyes, but instead of responding to the question he let go of her and put her down.

 

“Ow!” she exclaimed and realized that she left her crutches when Taehyung dragged her out of the corner. “Ah, my crutches—I think I left it…”

“I’ll try to find them later. Just get inside…” he ordered.

“You don't get to tell me what to do.” she complained, but went inside anyway.

 

She threw herself to the bed and sighed heavily.

 

“Can you please clean yourself up before you go to bed, seriously…” he shook his head looking at her, who was relaxing after the incident that just happened.

“I would gladly clean myself up if I had crutches it would be easier for me to walk around.” She crossed her arms while lying down.

“Fine!” he exclaimed, “What do you need?”

“I want to poop…” she said simply.

“Go crawl to the bathroom then…” he turned around and played with his phone.

“You’re not going to carry me again? Like before.” she asked while trying to get in a sitting position.

“Only on desperate occasions.” He stated.

 

Nara did what she was told to do and crawled to the bathroom by herself. She sat on the toilet and relieved herself. Taehyung, who wasn't paying attention, was going to the restroom and went inside without caution.

 

Nara shouted, “AHHHH!” for a few second until her face turned red, “What are you doing?”

At the same time, Taehyung shouted, “What are you doing?”

“I told you I’m pooping.” She took a towel to cover her bottom and tried to calm herself down.

“How did you get here?” he asked, questioning her capability to go to the bathroom by herself.

“You told me to crawl so I did…” she explained.

“Why didn't you close the door?”

“It’s too far from me,” she stated. “I have short arms…”

“Let’s pretend this never happened.” Taehyung suggested while nodding in agreement with himself.

“Agreed!” Nara responded firmly and Taehyung closed the bathroom door for her.

Before he left he said, "Poop comfortably..." 

"Yes. I will. Thank you."