Chapter 36

Don't Marry Me

The Reason Behind Her Tears 

Nara woke up on the bed, with blankets covering half of her body. She thought that she didn't hear the alarm go off, but when she rubbed her eyes she saw that from her clear view of the clock, it was already past eleven o’clock. She dashed out of the bed, throwing the blanket away, but suddenly Taehyung yanked her wrist and pulled her back to the bed.

 

“What are you doing? We’re late!” she tried to pull back her hand, but his grasp was too strong.

“Don't worry. I called in sick for us.” Taehyung replied with a sleepy voice.

“We are obviously not sick! Now, let’s go—we’ll make it to fourth period.”

 

Taehyung refused to go and continued to close his eyes. Nara sighed deeply and pulled herself back to bed. Her mind kept going back and forth, either she should go to school or not, but then again he had called in for the both of them so she thought why not stay home while they could? Knowing that Nara had laid herself back to bed, Taehyung put his arms behind her neck and pulled her closer to him and Nara’s face was extremely close to his chest. She was surprised and wanted to pull away, but Taehyung wrapped her in his arms with his left arm.

 

Since she had nowhere to go, she snuggled into his embrace. In a few seconds, she could feel his heart beating faster every second.

 

“Taehyung?” she called softly.

“Hmm…” He replied with his eyes still shut.

“Nothing.” She smiled as she continues to hear his heart beat.

 

Taehyung was confused, so he lowered himself and had a perfect view of her face, trying to hard not to smile.

 

“What are you smiling at?” he asked.

 

Nara opened her eyes and pulled the blanket over her face. Hiding herself from him, she started to laugh.

 

“What are you laughing at?” he tickled her from outside of the blanket. As they both started to laugh and eventually, Taehyung got her out of the blanket, with her face covered with her hair and her giggles that blew a few strands of her hair, revealing one of her eyes as she looked into his.

 

Then he pushed her hair back behind her ears, making sure it won’t cover her face. He sighed as he smiles at her.

 

“Hi.” He greeted.

“Hi.” Nara greeted back, while trying to hold back her laugh, but turned into a straight face once she saw Taehyung’s face. “What?”

“Nothing.”

 

They spent the day together, since their parents were not at home until tomorrow, they had the whole place all to themselves. Taehyung watches over Nara; as she was doing her chores. Washing the dishes that their parents left, because of the morning rush and Taehyung was staring at her as he was staring at something so beautiful, while Nara was struggling to take a stain off the plate.

 

“You know, you could help, right?” she asked, while grunting, scrubbing this one particular plate.

“I know, but I just like to look at you trying so hard.”

“You mean, you’re too lazy to help me. I get it.” She acted  like she was underestimating him.

“I am not lazy.”

“If you’re not then it’d be nice to help, especially when you see someone’s struggling.” Nara replied.

“Okay, fine. I’ll scrub.”

 

Nara took Taehyung’s place, she watched over him as he was scrubbing the plate and the stain was easily removed by him, like it was nothing.  He did look good from this side and it was a satisfying image. The bell rang out of the blue; of course it wasn't their parents because they would’ve had the keys and let themselves in.

 

While Taehyung was busy with a few more dishes, Nara went to the living room to open the door and saw Jungkook was standing just a few steps away from her.

 

“Jungkook.” She was surprised to see him. “What are you doing here?”

“I was looking for you.”

“Why?”

“My question first; why didn't you come to school today?”

“I told the teacher that I would be excused today.” Nara replied.

“Uh, that’s not what I heard.” Jungkook was trying to untangle the situation.

“But I was—wait what did you heard exactly?”

“The homeroom teacher said that this was the first time you’d ever skipped school without any notice, well—maybe he didn't get the message yet. Oh, I also brought homework and notes for tomorrow’s test.” 

“There’s a test tomorrow?”

“Yep. The notes are from yesterday’s review to check whether your work is right or not, I copied mine for you so—“  

“Thank you, Jungkook.”

“By the way, why didn't you come to school today? You look fine.” Jungkook scanned her body and nothing seemed to be out of place.

“I don't really know myself, to be honest.” Nara replied, she didn't want to tell him that Taehyung was the one who put her through all this.

 

They stood there for a while, because of the dead end conversation that Nara made.

 

“Well, I hope Taehyung doesn't have anything to do with this.” He cleared his throat.

 

Nara couldn't do anything, but smile nervously.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow then, bye!” Jungkook waved goodbye and left.

 

Nara headed back to the kitchen, where Taehyung has finished with the dishes and was waiting for her to come back.

 

“Who was it?” he asked.

 “School.” Nara’s expression was getting darker every second. “Actually, it was Jungkook, he brought me some notes from school.”

“Look—I meant to call the school, but I kinda forgot.”

“How can you kinda forgot? I care about school, Taehyung—especially my grades.” She whined.

“I’m sorry—“

“It’s fine, I’ll just have to pull an all-nighter.” She sighed heavily and headed upstairs.

 

“I’m really sorry. I just wanted to spend a day with you.” He replied.

“It’s okay.” She sighed heavily, “I hope you won’t do this kind of stuff in the future though.”

 

As the night fell, Nara spent the rest of the day studying for tomorrow. All Taehyung could do was watch her from the bed, not knowing what to do—he wanted to sleep, but he felt bad to leave her like that.

 

“Is there anything I can help you with?” he asked quietly, trying not to bother her.

“No, it’s fine.” Nara replied with a smile and continued scribbling down on her notes. “You don't have to wait for me. I’ll be done in a few minutes.”

“But, I want to.”

 

Her studies ended in thirty minutes and she headed to her bed for the long awaited beauty sleep. The sound of alarm, blaring around the room—woke both Nara and Taehyung up as they rushed towards the bathroom. They walked towards the bus station and waited for the designated bus that stops right in front of the school’s gate.


“So, are you ready for the test?” Jungkook greeted, with bright smile on his face, while Nara was trying to block the sunlight with her locker door. Jungkook was always a morning person, he could be so bright in the morning, but very sleepy before the sunsets.

 

“Ready, is all I’ll ever be…” She sighed, closing her locker.

 

Dragging her feet to the first period where the test will be held.

 

“You never really told me why you didn't come to school yesterday.” Jungkook tried to open a conversation, on their way to the classroom.

“Yeah, about that. I think it’s probably be best if we don't think about it, cause it’s a little embarrassing.” Nara squinted her eyes, trying to make him stop discussing this topic.

“Oh, are you on your first day of that thing?” he asked, implying something far than what Nara expected.

“That thing?” she raised an eyebrow. “What that thing?”

“Your lady’s days…” Jungkook covered his lips as he whispers to her ear.

 

As much as she was taken aback, she couldn’t shriek the way she want to.  She thought it was better to let him think that way than having to tell him that it was Taehyung’s fault that she skipped school yesterday.

 

Nara couldn't stop jittering, the teacher was announced to be late, because of the sudden traffic. Also, somehow she felt someone was constantly watching her from the side, but she didn't want to look and check it out. In the end, she looked anyway and Jein was there, with one of her eyebrow raised, clicking her tongue when Nara finally turned her head around.

 

“Took you long enough.” She rolled her eyes. “I have a proposition to make!” she sat up straight, but Nara looked away because she didn't want to deal with her at this particular moment.

 

“Oh, my God! How rude.” She scoffed, “Can I please propose the proposition first?”

“I don't want to have anything to do with you, Jein—just leave me alone!” Nara tried to shut her off, but it ended up the opposite.

“Okay, fine! I will leave you alone, if you do something for me.” Jein stated.

“I thought I told you that I don't want to do anything that has anything to do with you. All I want is just for you to leave me alone. Why does it seem so hard for you to do that?” she tried to be superior, but she couldn't.

“Don't worry I will leave you alone, if you get a divorce with Taehyung.”

“Excuse me?” Nara sneered. “And why would I do that?”

“Because when he knows you don't like him, he’ll come running back to me and I’ll love him more than you do.” Jein explained, as she had thought of her plan thoroughly. “He is just pretending to like you, because you’re always twenty four seven around him, so he's got no choice but to pay attention to you.”

 

“Good morning class, sorry I am late—bad traffic. We’ll just get straight to the test and good luck.” The teacher rushed into the room and start handing out the test.

 

“Oh, and if you don't divorce him three days before senior prom, I can do worse than just brake your ankle. So, I suggest you get on to the divorce paper after school today.” She smiled diabolically. 

 

“No talking! When the bell rings, I want all papers on my desk.” The teacher exclaimed as he took attendance.