Chapter 25

Don't Marry Me

Distance Between Two Hearts

 

Summer finally ended and school was starting in less than 24 hours. Nara was lying on the bed with her whole body spread—leaving no space, while plugging her ears with a sad songs to go with her current mood. The only reason she wanted to go to school was to find Jungkook and explain the whole marriage thing. Although, she was not really sure what to explain, because the whole thing in the stage back then pretty much explained everything and at the same time nothing. Taehyung broke her deep-thinking-mode by throwing her palms to her face, without knowing what he wanted she turned her back on him.

 

Taehyung was lying comfortably, with his arms behind his head. He poked her shoulders several times with his toes. Nara didn't budge and kept listening to her songs with her eyes closed. Taehyung tapped shoulders again, but still she wouldn't move an inch. Feeling annoyed, he stood up and went to the other side of the bed, and he took out one of the earplugs and stared at her until she noticed.

 

“Am I really that pretty?” she asked with her eyes closed.

“Hmph, you wish!” Taehyung threw her earplugs at her face and hit her nose, making her squirm in surprise.

“What was that about?” she asked taking the other earplug out of her ear.

“I tapped you.” He stated.

“So?”

“You should’ve responded.” He nagged.

“You poked me…” she taking a deep breath, “With your toes.

“That’s true, but—“

“Really? What do you think I am? Your pet?” she asked frowning her eyebrows, “No!” she explained and sat up.

“Whoa chill…” Taehyung back away to give her some space. “I was just trying to talk.”

“Well, can you at least have the decency to say it to my face?”

“Okay, I was wrong, I’m sorry.” He tried to convince her with his apology, but she wasn't moved at all. “Really.”

“Apology accepted.” She said with no expression at all, she did try to smile but her thoughts were drawn back to what she’s going to explain to Jungkook.

“You look depleted, what’s up?” Taehyung asked, knowing that Nara didn't have those hard feelings anymore.

“Why do you care?” she forced herself to laugh, but only a chuckle came out.

“I’m just curious.” He stated, “I mean I just want you to be comfortable around me.”

“Funny you said that,” she smiled, “Because at school tomorrow, you’re probably going to be a totally different person.” She explained simply, based on her experiences.

“True, but who knows right?” Taehyung tried to change the subject, “So, tell me I’m all ears.” He sat on the floor in front of her, with Nara sitting on the bed holding one of the pillows.

 

She took a deep breath, thinking that something’s wrong with Taehyung, but at the same time she knew—somehow that right now he’s being sincere or maybe it could be her feelings playing with her mind.

 

“It’s about Jungkook…”she started off slow.

“I think I know where this is going.” Taehyung started his own prediction to where this conversation is going.

“Are you going to cut me off talking or what?” she asked, hoping Taehyung would understand when she’s annoyed.

“Yes, okay. I’m sorry. He apologized once again, “Please continue.”

“Well, you know that he knows right?” she continues while pinching on the edge of the pillows and Taehyung nodded in response. “I need to explain to him about the marriage.

“You mean about us?” Taehyung corrected.

“Uh—yeah. I mean I don't even know where to start and I somehow I know that he would think I talk crap and then he wouldn't believe me and then I would be left alone and—“

“Whoa, stop. Breathe when you talk will you? What are you—talking for the marathon?” Taehyung joked simply.

“Right.” Nara took a deep breath and continued, “I just don't want to be alone again—I just hate that feeling of being lonely.”

“You’re not alone.” Taehyung replied.

“Easy for you to say, you have tons of friends who care for you, they even stick with you—and I mean literally stick with you.” Nara explained.

“Ha! That’s not true—I think some of them are just taking my popularity.”

“What do you mean?” Nara raised an eyebrow.

“Well, they stick with me just so that they can get noticed too…” he explained simply.

“Whoa, really?” Nara gasped exaggeratedly, “You’re really that popular that people are leeching you off?”

“Hmm—yeah you can say that.” He responded without hesitation and stood up to go to his side of the bed. “It’s getting late, I’m going to sleep.” He said covering himself with the blanket.

 

Nara followed him and turned off her desk lamp. Her mind was still filled with words that’s she was trying to use for her explanation. The alarm woke her up at exactly 6 o’clock; she didn't waste any time and headed out of bed immediately. She washed her face, scrubbing her forehead, chin, and her cheek. Suddenly, she remembered when Taehyung kissed her cheek in front of many random strangers. With everything that has happened between her, Taehyung and Jungkook she was getting confused with pretty much everything, then her mind went back when Jungkook kissed her cheek. Everything was so confusing, she slapped herself to get a hold of herself, without thinking about it too long she took a shower and changed into her school uniform.

 

Taehyung on the other hand, was still in deep slee not even bothering to move. Nara went to his side of the bed and pushed his shoulder signaling him to wake up.

 

“Wake up,” she ordered, “I’m just going to tell you once, get up!”

Suddenly, Taehyung grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him. Since Nara was unaware of the situation she was surprised and fell into his chest. Her eyes bulged and her heart started to beat faster—she tried to pull herself up, but Taehyung was putting his arms around her.

 

“Why is you’re heart beating so fast?” he asked with his eyes shut.

 

This time, Nara managed to break free and pushed herself out of his arms. She wished that she could stay longer, but she felt like she shouldn't.

 

“What?” Nara put her trembling hands into her left side of her chest, where her heart was definitely beating like crazy. “What are you talking about?” she asked denying the fact.

“Do you think that I couldn't feel your heart beating? I was beating like crazy.” Taehyung replied with a question and headed to the bathroom. 

“No, it wasn't!” she exclaimed and turned her back on him.

“It totally was.” He whispered to her ears and locked the bathroom door.

 

What was that all about?

 

Nara took three sandwiches that her mom made and were served on the table. She headed to school early in the morning hoping that she could find Jungkook and explain everything before school started.

 

Taehyung who just finished taking a shower, was surprised that Nara wasn't in the room anymore, he headed downstairs after changing to his school uniform and poured a glass of milk from the fridge. He didn't feel any sense of life around the house other than Nara’s mom.

 

“Good morning, mom.” He greeted politely.

“Oh, good morning Taehyung. Ready for school?” she smiled, while doing something on the kitchen counter.

“Umm—where’s Nara?” he asked straight to the point.

“Nara?” she asked, “She headed to school first, saying that she has something to do before school starts.” Mrs. Park explained.

“Did she eat breakfast?” he asked out of the blue, he was also surprised that he would say something like that. 

“Why are you asking?” she asked, “Are you worried?”

 

Taehyung didn't know what to respond, so he just smiled and shrugged.

 

“Well, don't worry. She left with three sandwiches, so I’m sure she’ll be fine.” She replied, because she knows that she put Taehyung in an awkward situation.

“O—okay, umm, I’m going to go now…” he said while drifting away from the kitchen, “See you later. Bye.”

 

Nara arrived at school on time, before she enters those two big doors, she sighed and wanted to be mentally prepared for the day. She took a deep breath and marched herself inside. When she was heading to her locker, she saw Jungkook was talking to a bunch of guys around the corner; she looked at him hoping that he would look back and he did, but after he knows that she was there, he excused herself from the group and disappeared. Nara wanted to follow him, but he was long gone.

 

When she finally got to her locker, Jungkook was in his locker too. They are just three lockers away. Nara gathered all the courage and closed her locker; she headed towards Jungkook who was pre-occupied with his books.

 

“Jungkook?” Nara called nervously.

 

Jungkook slammed his locker and turned to her.

 

“What?” he said with no expression.

“How are you?” she tries to open a conversation.

“I’m fine, thanks.” He didn't even bother asking her how she was doing.

“Great, that’s good.” Jungkook knows that she was trying, still he wouldn't respond the way she expected.

“Good, are we done now?” he asked cold-heartedly.

“Uh—umm, yeah, I guess—“

“Okay.” He replied and left.

 

She felt so dumb and pissed at the same time. She ran towards him and blocked his way.

 

“I want to apologize.” She stated.

“Apologize for what?” he asked pretending as nothing happened, but he acted the opposite way.

“I wanted to apologize for not telling you about the marriage thing. It was an arranged marriage—I had nothing to do with it.” She wanted him to understand, so she’s trying to be detailed as possible.

“But, still you like the guy and you’re married to him, he will eventually change his feelings for you.”

“How did you know that I like him?” she asked curiously.

“Really?” Jungkook raised an eyebrow, “The first day, that I moved here Jein, I think her name was—she was talking about you how you confessed to him and then he rejected you. I know things, Nara. This school is like a fish tank.”

“We are just bounded by the law it doesn't mean anything. If he says he doesn't like me, then he doesn't like me, he’ll never will.”

“People change, you don't expect them to be same person all their lives and yes, it does mean something.”