Chapter 5

Don't Marry Me

So Contrast

In the morning Taehyung woke up first and his right shoulder felt stiff and heavy, he tried to shake it off, but it was still there. After a few minutes when he was conscious enough, he took a look at his shoulder and saw that Nara’s head was on his shoulder. Her face was so close to his that their noses almost touched. His eyes widened and he poked her head trying to wake her up, but she didn't move an inch. With that one finger he pushed her head away, hard enough to make her fall to the floor and wake up.

 

“What happened?” she rubbed her eyes trying to fall back asleep, but her head hurt. “Did you push me again?”

“No.” he lied and stood up, leaving her surrounded by the leftover popcorn. She stood straight and tried to remember what happened last night, because she knew that she didn't finish watching the movie.

“Ha!” Nara gasped, remembering what happened.

 

She slept in Taehyung’s shoulder, but the weird thing was that Taehyung didn't do anything that night. No pushing or waking her up in the middle of the night. She was happy, although that the morning was unexpected at least the night was enjoyable. That morning she felt energized and immediately went downstairs, after cleaning up the popcorn that spread around the room. She wanted to cook for Taehyung and maybe, just maybe, she could make him happy, since their parents weren't home anyway.

 

“What are you doing?” Taehyung came downstairs with his hair still half wet.

“I’m…” she struggled, trying to bring both plates to the table, “making breakfast” she smiled in excitement.

“For…?” Taehyung asked, implying he wanted Nara to finish his sentence.

“For us” her smile kept  growing wider by the second.

“Okay... Why are you doing this?” he asked sitting down slowly, making sure that the Nara from yesterday was still there.

“I just want to make breakfast, our parents are not here. I’m just stepping up for them” she smiled. “Eat” she said digging into her own food.

“You seem less dejected than yesterday.” He said trying to choose his words carefully as to not make her crack like before.

“I just thought that it is better to be happy than to be sad and all dejected” she explained in a mouthful and smiled while munching down her food.

 

Taehyung put his hand on top of the next spoonful of rice that Nara was going to eat. “Eat slowly…” because Nara was shoving everything down . She nodded in response.

“Are you finished?” she asked holding her plate and bringing it to the sink. Taehyung nodded and left the kitchen; Nara took his plate from the table and started to wash them.

 

We looked like a newlywed couple. Now, what should I do? Since today is weekend…

 

Her mom called in the afternoon telling her that they would be back tomorrow, because they had to go out of town for a business trip and she said she was sorry for not telling her yesterday.

 

This is even better; we get the whole house to ourselves. Maybe—

 

The doorbell rang, Nara ran to check who it was. She peeked through the door. It was Jungkook. Nara gasped and ran upstairs immediately.

 

“Taehyung! Hide.” She said while trying to catch her breath.

“What? No way!” he rolled his eyes and continued watching his movie.

Nara abruptly took the remote from his hand and turned off the TV, “Jungkook is here!” she exclaimed.
 

“What? Who?” he stood up and asked, “Is that the creepy guy I asked you about?”  

“What? No!” she stated and tried to get back to the main situation. “That’s not important! Take that down” Nara pointed at their wedding picture that was hanging above the television.

“Why does it have to be me? Why don't you do it yourself?” he asked trying to get rid of his stuff.

“I have to get Jungkook. I can’t make him wait forever!” she exclaimed and slammed the door. “And don't forget to take that down!” she shouted.

"Yes. Milady..." Taehyung bowed sarcastically. 

Nara went downstairs, cleaned her clothes and wiped off the sweat that was dripping from her forehead.

 

“Hi… Wow, Jungkook. What are you doing here?” she asked trying to act surprised and at the same time trying to calm herself down.

“Hi, I was… You know—I was bored at home and you know—I thought that I could you know—“ he stutters.

“What?” she asked trying to make Jungkook say what he meant to say.

“I thought that I could visit you and hang, you know…” he said trying to smile it away.

“I get it. Well, come on in…” she invited him inside. “Let me check upstairs first” she said and Jungkook nodded in response.

 

She ran upstairs and went inside her room; Taehyung was still busy cleaning their stuff and stop abruptly when Nara came inside.

 

“You scared the hell out of me!” he exclaimed and continued to clean things up in a hurry.

“Don't be so loud!”

“Where is he?” he asked while putting their stuff in the closet or anywhere just to hide it away.

“Downstairs…” she said trying to calm down. “Please hurry up!” she said.

“You do it then!”

 

Nara went downstairs and went to Jungkook who was seated on the sofa.

 

“Hey, would you like something drink?” she asked with a smile.

“No… Maybe later,” he answered. “Can you give me a tour of the house?” he asked.

“Sure…” she said hoping that Taehyung had finished hiding their stuff away.

 

They went to the kitchen, the living room and other rooms that her house had, but not her room and Jungkook noticed.

 

“You haven’t show me your room yet” he asked.

“Oh, right!” she answered nervously, they went upstairs and went to the room in the corner, she sighed while holding the doorknob.

 

She turned the doorknob twice using the sound to give Taehyung a code that she’d be coming in, but she didn't know if he would understand it or not. She went inside as slowly as possible; trying to avoid taking Jungkook inside. Sadly, Jungkook’s face lit up and was excited to see it.

 

“Well… Here we are. This is where nothing happens” she looked around and saw that there was no sign of Taehyung. She sighed heavily, extremely relieved.

“Your room is so nice… I mean it’s big. That’s for sure” he said while looking  at every inch of the room.

“I like big things and I like things with a lot of space…” she said following Jungkook wherever he went.

“Your bed is huge. Is it king size?” he asked trying to find a space to sit.

“Yes…well, you know I like big things” she stated and smiled. She took a deep breath wondering where Taehyung might be.

 

Did he jump outside or did he hide under the bed?

 

“By the way, how did you find out that I live here?” she asked suddenly, because she knews she hadn't told anyone; specifically him that she live here.

“Oh, I asked the schools administration…” Jungkook sighed and continued, "I wanted to ask you, but I think a surprise is better." he smiled innocently. 

“No kidding” she responded with a chuckle.

“So, what do you usually do here?” he asked.

“Me?” she pointed to herself. “Well, I usually read and watch TV. There’s nothing much to do here, really” she explained.

“Then let’s do something!” he exclaimed.

“Like what?” she asked in response.

 

Suddenly, there was a sound from her closet. They both stopped and stared at the door for a few seconds, but the sound was gone. They went to the table and Jungkook opened some game online sites. The sound came again, now it was more like a racket, like something was trying to make space.

 

They stood up and stared at the door again, but there was nothing and the noise was gone.

 

“It’s probably nothing” Jungkook stated and headed back to the seat.

 

While Nara was still trying to figure out what was going on inside, she wanted to open the door, but she was not sure that she should. The noise got louder and louder every second.

 

Suddenly, Taehyung popped out of the closet and fell flat on his back, along with the stuff that didn't fit inside. Nara gasped and looked at Jungkook immediately. His eyes widened in disbelief and his jaw dropped.

 

Taehyung stood up and cleaned himself up. Jungkook, who was totally bewildered, blinked several times to see if it was really him.

 

“Hey, I know you…” he pointed at Taehyung, unsure. “You’re that guy that everyone talks about at school right? And also you’re Jein’s boyfriend right?” he asked curiously.

 

While Jungkook was busy thinking, Nara gave Taehyung the why-did-you-hide-in-the-closet look and Taehyung replied with a where-am-I-supposed-to-hide look.

 

“Wait, I didn't have to ask. You are him, right?” he took a deep breath and continued, “You’re Kim Taehyung” he stated. “But, why are you here?” he asked and both of them looked at each other, confused about how to respond to his questions.

 

“Are you guys…living together?” he said trying not to make it sound ridiculous, but it came out even weird.

“What? No… No of course not” Nara exclaimed trying to convince him not to know more.

“Me? With her? No way…” Taehyung stated.

“Umm… our…our parents are currently out of town for a business trip, so he’s staying over and he’ll be gone once his parents pick him up.” Nara said with a convincing smile hoping that her explanation was clear enough for him to stop asking more questions.

“One more thing though, why did you hide in the closet?” Jungkook pointed to the messy closet.

“I… I was looking for something, but there is too much stuff in her closet, so I couldn't find it” Taehyung stated.

“Okay…” Jungkook responded lightly and felt that something fishy was going on, but he decided to let it go because he knew that his questions were pressuring them.